Distance between two points on/in an ellipse

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Distance between two points on/in an ellipse

Postby Plasma_Wolf » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

It may seem easy to compute a general formula for the distance between a point on an ellipse and a point on the x-axis (maybe it is), but I can't work it out.

Here is the data and are the restrictions.
C is an ellipse with \frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1. On this ellipse, we have a point p (not located on the x-axis) and the normal line (perpendicular to the direction of the curve) of C at p intersects the x-axis in q. In my image, the normal line is red.

Now I want to find out what the distance between p and q is.
I have worked out a parametrisation of the ellipse: f(t)=(acos(t),bsin(t)) and that gives me f'(t)=(-asin(t),bcos(t)) (this is the direction of the curve)
The direction of the normal line is then given by f''(t)=(-acos(t),-bsin(t)). I get lost at that point. I have some ideas but none of those really work.
Attachments
Ellipse.png
Ellipse.png (6.38 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
Last edited by Plasma_Wolf on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Plasma_Wolf

Re: Distance between two points on/in an ellipse

Postby OverBored » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:47 pm UTC

Plasma_Wolf wrote:f''(t)=(-a^2cos(t),-b^2sin(t))

This is not the equation of the normal. You can see this by observing that the dot product of the two lines is non-zero. Once you have the actual normal, you have
(y-y_0) = m(x-x_0). You know the y_0 and x_0 from the original point, and the normal gives you m, solve for the desired intercept.

Edit: Actually, I just noticed that your parameterisation of the ellipse is incorrect as well. You may have some superfluous squares floating around.
G4!!

Grob FTW,

Hello. Smithers. You're. Quite good. At. Turning. Me. On.
OverBored

Postby Plasma_Wolf » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:08 pm UTC

I see what I've been doing wrong. I need a unit speed parametrization, because then I"ll get ||f'(t)||=1, which gives me <f'(t),f'(t)>=0. Computing the derivative of that, I'll get 2*<f'(t),f''(t)>=0, which leads to f''(t) being perpendicular to the curves direction IE giving me the normal.

That gives me the question: how do I get a unit speed parametrization of an ellipse. It's easy to get this for a circle, but I've been completely unable to get a USP for an ellipse that can actually be rewritten into something easier (I want to find some common terms).

Also: I fixed the errors in my parametrizations. Having the squares there is just wrong.
Plasma_Wolf

Postby Talith » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:12 am UTC

If you want a paramaterisation which has unit speed, you'd need to be able to have a nice formula for the arc length of an ellipse... but this is notoriously hard to calculate (see:Elliptic Integral).
Talith
Proved the Goldbach Conjecture

Postby SeaCalMaster » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:15 am UTC

Do you know how to do implicit differentiation? It might help you here.
SeaCalMaster

Postby Proginoskes » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:31 am UTC

Plasma_Wolf wrote:It may seem easy to compute a general formula for the distance between a point on an ellipse and a point on the x-axis (maybe it is), but I can't work it out.

Here is the data and are the restrictions.
C is an ellipse with \frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1. On this ellipse, we have a point p (not located on the x-axis) and the normal line (perpendicular to the direction of the curve) of C at p intersects the x-axis in q. In my image, the normal line is red.

Now I want to find out what the distance between p and q is.
I have worked out a parametrisation of the ellipse: f(t)=(acos(t),bsin(t)) and that gives me f'(t)=(-asin(t),bcos(t)) (this is the direction of the curve)
The direction of the normal line is then given by ---

I cut you off there because, as people have pointed out, your direction of the normal line is wrong.

Now you need to find a vector perpendicular to f\,'(t); (b \cos(t), a \sin(t)) works fine. The equation for the normal line is then
y - b \sin(t) = {a\over b}\tan(t) (x-a \cos t).

Now substitute y=0 and solve for x. Then q=(x,0).

The rest is algebra and messy.
Proginoskes

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:55 pm UTC

The directions of the tangent and normal vectors at a particular point don't depend on the parametrization (a particle's velocity at a point will of course determine the *magnitude* of its tangent vector, but not the direction). So given the difficulty of elliptic integrals, you're better off just using the easiest-to-compute parametrization
Treatid basically wrote:widdout elephants deh be no starting points. deh be no ZFC.

(If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Return to Mathematics