RIASEC personality assesment

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

What is your primary type?

R
15%
I
59%
A
3%
S
6%
E
3%
C
15%

Total votes : 34

RIASEC personality assesment

Postby Icewedge » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:01 am UTC

So, while surfing Wikipedia I just discovered another personality test kind of like the Myers-Briggs in that it groups people into types (although with a slightly different method).

It is moderately interesting. My type was Investigative-Artistic-Entrepreneurial.

Post your primary types!

Here is the test from WikiP: http://personality-testing.info/tests/RIASEC.php
Icewedge

Re: RIASEC personality assesment

Postby Deva » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:26 am UTC

Received Conventional Artistic Investigative. Odd note:
You dominat type is CONVENTIONAL. Conventional people like rules and regulations and emphasize self-control.

You subdominat type is ARTISTIC. Artistic people are usually creative, open, inventive, original, perceptive, sensitive, independent and emotional. They do not like structure and rules, like tasks involving people or physical skills, and are more likely to express their emotions than others.

You minor type is INVESTIGATIVE. Investigative people like to think and observe rather than act, to organize and understand information rather than to persuade. They tend to prefer individual rather than people oriented activities.

Added the bold and underline for emphasis. So conflicted. Also, "you dominat".
Changes its form depending on the observer.
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby ameretrifle » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:06 am UTC

Deva wrote:Received Conventional Artistic Investigative. Odd note:
You dominat type is CONVENTIONAL. Conventional people like rules and regulations and emphasize self-control.

You subdominat type is ARTISTIC. Artistic people are usually creative, open, inventive, original, perceptive, sensitive, independent and emotional. They do not like structure and rules, like tasks involving people or physical skills, and are more likely to express their emotions than others.

You minor type is INVESTIGATIVE. Investigative people like to think and observe rather than act, to organize and understand information rather than to persuade. They tend to prefer individual rather than people oriented activities.

Oh, god, every time I've taken it (was popular to foist it on us in college) I get some mix of those too. It was exactly as helpful in suggesting careers as it sounds. XD "Conventional... Artistic... there's nothing listed here. Well. Fuck. :/"

(it is primarily a career-goal-oriented sort of test rather than a holistic personality thing, that's definitely how it was always framed to us anyway)
ameretrifle
Vera

Postby symple » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:07 am UTC

You spelled "assessment" wrong :(

(I got C then S then R)
symple

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:48 am UTC

I think my results may have underplayed my investigative leanings seeing as all the science-y questions were about various types of biology (and a couple of geography ones IIRC) whereas I am decidedly a theoretical physicist at heart.

Anyway, despite that:

You dominat type is INVESTIGATIVE. Investigative people like to think and observe rather than act, to organize and understand information rather than to persuade. They tend to prefer individual rather than people oriented activities. They like to work with DATA.

You subdominat type is ARTISTIC. Artistic people are usually creative, open, inventive, original, perceptive, sensitive, independent and emotional. They do not like structure and rules, like tasks involving people or physical skills, and are more likely to express their emotions than others. They like to think, organize and understand artistic and cultural areas. They like to work with IDEAS and THINGS.

You minor type is SOCIAL. Social people seem to satisfy their needs in teaching or helping situations. They are different than R and I Types because they are drawn more to seek close relationships with other people and are less apt to want to be really intellectual or physical. They like to work with PEOPLE.

Underlined sections are very off. Most of the text in all the types posted so far is stuff which anyone could read and think applies to them (particularly as it allows for contradictory statements in the dominant and subdominant types) so I think that this test is even less meaningful than any of the others (which aren't particularly meaningful either).

Just for comparison, I'm also a Myers-Briggs INTJ
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby yurell » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:11 am UTC

Deva wrote:Received Conventional Artistic Investigative. Odd note:

Ditto those results for me.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!
yurell

Postby Josephine » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:00 pm UTC

You dominat type is INVESTIGATIVE. Investigative people like to think and observe rather than act, to organize and understand information rather than to persuade. They tend to prefer individual rather than people oriented activities. They like to work with DATA.

You subdominat type is ARTISTIC. Artistic people are usually creative, open, inventive, original, perceptive, sensitive, independent and emotional. They do not like structure and rules, like tasks involving people or physical skills, and are more likely to express their emotions than others. They like to think, organize and understand artistic and cultural areas. They like to work with IDEAS and THINGS.

You minor type is REAISTIC. Realistic people are usually assertive and competitive, and are interested in activities requiring motor coordination, skill and strength. People with a realistic orientation usually prefer to work a problem through by doing something, rather than talking about it, or sitting and thinking about it. They like concrete approaches to problem solving, rather than abstract theory. They tend to be interested in scientific or mechanical rather than cultural and aesthetic areas. They like to work with THINGS.

Seems accurate.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.
Josephine

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:37 pm UTC

Your Holland Code is IAC.

You minor type is CONVENTIONAL. Conventional people like rules and regulations and emphasize self-control. They like structure and order, and dislike unstructured or unclear work and interpersonal situations. They place value on reputation, power, or status. They like to work with DATA.

Deva, we are so similar. Investigative is a duh for me as I am an ISTJ (the Inspector). The artistic comes from my love of music, however, I'm not all that good at it, so I may have taken the test wrong. I like structure, but I don't like rules, so I'm conflicted on the conventional one. More than anything I want a plan, a path to follow, but that doesn't mean I want to be constrained. I guess that's where the artistic/conventional can work together to create me :lol:
broken_escalator wrote:Everyone knows afros are a hard counter to petrification.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby Webzter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:24 am UTC

Deva wrote:Added the bold and underline for emphasis. So conflicted. Also, "you dominat".

Possibly to make things broadly applicable so that you can read into it what you want.

I came out SRA. However, I answered dislike to most questions because, frankly, neither operating a calculator nor using a computer to generate bills sounds all that interesting nor does working in a biology lab or running a grinder at a machine shop. Now, if it was a question about writing programs or working in a physics lab or building things on my own time I would have answered very differently.

I'm an INTP and come down fairly strongly on some of those traits. At one job, the higher ups decided to have some sort of team building exercise around personality traits. We all took the test before the lab; the instructor knew our results but we didn't. So he mixed us up in to various teams to show us how different personalities worked together. For our last assignment, he separated us into four groups with the strongest of (I think) NTs and strongest SJs in their own groups. The task was to plan a trip. The SJ group planned a trip across Canada, including what kind of vehicle they'd take, what features it would have, how far they'd travel, and where they'd stop. My groups planning was "beach, ok, where's a good beach. I hear Fiji's nice. Ok, we're going to Fiji". That was the extent of our planning.
Webzter

Postby Jave D » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:52 am UTC

IAC. Seems fairly accurate. I suppose my being more investigative than artistic explains why in the writing of my book I'm doing more research and analysis of planned character and organizational setting interactions than actual writing. And that I'm conventional explains why I'm trying to make it as realistic as possible, even going so far as to assign Myers-Briggs personality types to the characters and simulate the industry and economy underlying a fantasy setting. My artistic side is screaming in pain all the while I'm doing this, but I can't seem to help myself.
I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay
Ain't it sad?
And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That's too bad.
Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby OBrien » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:04 pm UTC

Your Holland Code is IAR.

You minor type is REAISTIC. Realistic people are usually assertive and competitive, and are interested in activities requiring motor coordination, skill and strength. People with a realistic orientation usually prefer to work a problem through by doing something, rather than talking about it, or sitting and thinking about it. They like concrete approaches to problem solving, rather than abstract theory. They tend to be interested in scientific or mechanical rather than cultural and aesthetic areas. They like to work with THINGS.

I'm sorry, but I really think this is all bollocks. This describes way more what I'd like to be like than what I actually am.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.
OBrien

Postby Weeks » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:03 am UTC

Isn't that their schtick? Just tell you stuff that you probably know but haven't given enough thought to realize by yourself?
Magnanimous wrote:If it begs you to switch browsers, would it be Internet Implorer?
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby EmptySet » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:29 am UTC

The question design seems really poor. Aside from the fact that whoever wrote them clearly thought the only disciplines in science are "medicine" and "marine zoology", does anyone get excited about using a calculator or data-entry tasks like typing receipts into a computer? Is it just that they were written twenty years ago when being able to print information from a computer database was regarded as some kind of dark magick which only the mysterious techwizards could perform?
EmptySet

Postby Black Dynamite » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:14 am UTC

Your Holland Code is IAS.

You minor type is SOCIAL. Social people seem to satisfy their needs in teaching or helping situations. They are different than R and I Types because they are drawn more to seek close relationships with other people and are less apt to want to be really intellectual or physical. They like to work with PEOPLE.

Sounds good.
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!
(She, her, hers)
Black Dynamite

Postby Deva » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:53 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:...does anyone get excited about using a calculator or data-entry tasks like typing receipts into a computer? Is it just that they were written twenty years ago when being able to print information from a computer database was regarded as some kind of dark magick which only the mysterious techwizards could perform?

Answered neutrally or negatively to approximately ninety percent of the questions. Picked a positive response to using a calculator. Sounded delightful compared to working on an offshore oil-drilling rig, offering unqualified and potentially harmful assistance to people in need, and Biology.

Compares data entry to writing. Would dislike transcribing one book's words into another. Becomes fun with the ability to build a story. Finds data entry dull. Enjoys the analysis after the data entry. May predict something interesting with that shopping receipt data, such as predicting pregnancy and due dates based upon purchases. And produce unrelated graphs like this (hopefully with a better error rate):
Spoiler:
Colorful.jpg
Changes its form depending on the observer.
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby philsov » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

Your Holland Code is RAI.

You dominat type is REAISTIC. Realistic people are usually assertive and competitive, and are interested in activities requiring motor coordination, skill and strength. People with a realistic orientation usually prefer to work a problem through by doing something, rather than talking about it, or sitting and thinking about it. They like concrete approaches to problem solving, rather than abstract theory. They tend to be interested in scientific or mechanical rather than cultural and aesthetic areas. They like to work with THINGS.

You minor type is INVESTIGATIVE. Investigative people like to think and observe rather than act, to organize and understand information rather than to persuade. They tend to prefer individual rather than people oriented activities. They like to work with DATA.

you dominat reaistic. I self identify as an INTP, for what its worth.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby roband » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:31 pm UTC

CRE here. Seemingly no-one has had that combo yet.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby HugsBoson » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:48 am UTC

Your Holland Code is SRC.

You dominat type is SOCIAL. Social people seem to satisfy their needs in teaching or helping situations. They are different than R and I Types because they are drawn more to seek close relationships with other people and are less apt to want to be really intellectual or physical. They like to work with PEOPLE.

You subdominat type is REAISTIC. Realistic people are usually assertive and competitive, and are interested in activities requiring motor coordination, skill and strength. People with a realistic orientation usually prefer to work a problem through by doing something, rather than talking about it, or sitting and thinking about it. They like concrete approaches to problem solving, rather than abstract theory. They tend to be interested in scientific or mechanical rather than cultural and aesthetic areas. They like to work with THINGS.

You minor type is CONVENTIONAL. Conventional people like rules and regulations and emphasize self-control. They like structure and order, and dislike unstructured or unclear work and interpersonal situations. They place value on reputation, power, or status. They like to work with DATA.

Mostly accurate. I underlined the portion that doesn't describe me. For comparison, I'm a Myers-Briggs ISTJ (introversion, sensing, thinking, judgement).
desires one dollop
HugsBoson

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:59 am UTC

I bet you are a borderline E.
broken_escalator wrote:Everyone knows afros are a hard counter to petrification.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby drash » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:32 pm UTC

Sounds about right, minor quibbles here and there. There are contradictions between the three, but aren't most people an interesting little bundle of paradox and hypocrisy anyway? My Meyers-Briggs is ENFP.
drash

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:43 am UTC

I got IAS like Black Dynamite and drash.
Seems to fit well: a post-graduate scientist who went slightly mental due to not enough artistic things (languages, dance, music, art) in my life and got a huge amount of joy out of tutoring, chatting to customers and staff at my part-time supermarket job, or knowing I'd helped someone out or somehow brightened their day. Kind of reassuring that I've not actually gone too far wrong with my life decisions so far either, I just need to keep things in balance!
Plasmic-Turtle

Postby drash » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:11 pm UTC

Plasmic-Turtle wrote:I got IAS like Black Dynamite and drash.
Seems to fit well: a post-graduate scientist who went slightly mental due to not enough artistic things (languages, dance, music, art) in my life and got a huge amount of joy out of tutoring, chatting to customers and staff at my part-time supermarket job, or knowing I'd helped someone out or somehow brightened their day. Kind of reassuring that I've not actually gone too far wrong with my life decisions so far either, I just need to keep things in balance!

Hey, funny coincidence. I'm also a sciency sort who went slightly mental and needs to be around people for a decent chunk of every day to be happy. In my case, the 'going mental' involved leaving academia for a year and a half to work in a used bookstore, starting a game publishing company, and then going in to the geosciences instead of my previous engineering. So I'm way behind on grad school. :)
drash

Postby Metaphysician » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:26 am UTC

EAI

I think it probably should have been EIA though. When they asked about writing and stuff like that, I always took it to mean writing about things that I was investigating or researching. That's what I do as my job and I really enjoy it. I also love just writing in general, but I'm not so great with the creative side of things. I'm better at persuasion, argumentation, making a case based on data I've collected, that kind of thing.

Also I have a really hard time taking the test site seriously when they can't be bothered to make sure dominant is spelled correctly.
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Metaphysician

Postby Steax » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:58 am UTC

SAI.

I think it's rather unfair for me. It's showing 'social' because it asked about volunteer work, helping the elderly and kids, which is stuff I enjoy doing not for the social part, but because I feel useful doing it. It also asks about laying bricks, which I'd love to do, but only because I like to learn how to build stuff, not because I want to do that for a living.

Since most everyone here is of the INTP/INTJ class, I'm surprised to see so much spread this time around...
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby ChimeraMica » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:34 am UTC

Your Holland Code is IAR.

Fairly accurate for me I think. I'm an artist but also tend to be quiet and organize things so I can understand them. I don't particularly like the dominant, sub-dominant, and minor classification though. I think it's a bit more of a grey area.

Also, the spelling. XD
ChimeraMica

Return to General