xkcd Fatbet 2012 - Gold Doubloons!

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Prelates, Moderators General

xkcd Fatbet 2012 - Gold Doubloons!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:05 pm UTC

Good morning, 2012! So far, it is bacon- and cream-filled, but I'm allowing myself a good wake-up period before I weigh myself, and really start this year off right.

The xkcd 2010 and 2011 Fatbets saw some excellent gains (or rather, losses) from the participants, myself included... well, ok, mine weren't 'excellent' by any standard, but it was still enormously helpful to putting me back on track. The Fatbet page lets you enter your starting weight (which no-one can see), your current weight (which no-one can see), and your progress (which of course they CAN see). Everyone has a little graph which lets you see how you're doing, and there's a small message board for support and smack-talk. You can invite others to be watchers, and you can post your graph to Facebook for more support.

You can also just use it to MAINTAIN your weight! If you are at a good weight, and you want to be there at the end of the year and you have some hardships facing you, then by all means enter a goal of zero pounds, and try to maintain! When that line goes up (or down, I guess), eat a carrot (or a cupcake).

~ Click here to join! ~

Fatbet Rules

These guidelines have kept us from coming to blows during our Fatbets.

Method 1: Everyone picks the amount they will lose

All taking part in the Fatbet set their weight-loss goal based on what they think is realistic and safe to lose within the Fatbet timeframe. In our experience, it doesn’t matter if one person sets a goal of 15 lbs. while another sets a goal of 10 lbs., as long as both goals represent about the same degree of difficulty. That said, if someone sets a goal that is clearly too easy, they should be ridiculed on the message board until they adjust their goal.

The Fatbet wager or penalty
Fatbets are about losing weight and competition. All who hit their goals get bragging rights, and those who don't nurse bruised egos until the next round. A Fatbet wager is an additional motivator. Fatbet.net is not a gambling site, so if money changes hands in a Fatbet, we don’t really want to know. Here are some Fatbets that do not involve cash:
Losers sing in a Karaoke bar; winners pick the songs
Losers let facial or leg hair grow unchecked for 30 days
Losers wash winners' cars
Losers run naked through Seattle Center
Losers donate to charity
Use your imagination. We admit that embarrassing Fatbet losers doesn't exactly follow a supportive weight-loss group model, but it can work for the hard core among us who grew up when gym teachers were still mean.

Weighing in, scales, and the honor system
Everyone uses his or her own scale and enters daily weights at Fatbet.net on the honor system. If you don't trust the people you are in a Fatbet with, seek out new friends or associates. Pry open your wallet and buy a decent digital scale, one that reads out in decimal points. Grandma's bouncing needle bathroom scale doesn’t cut it.

Ending the Fatbet
If you have a final group weigh-in and disclose your actual weights as we do, each person should bring the same scale to the weigh-in that they used for their daily weights. Minimum weigh-in attire if you need to strip down: clean boxers or briefs, tasteful t-shirts (no stains, no wife-beaters). Trust us: it's not worth a lifetime of embarrassment to strip down any more than this.

Unless otherwise stipulated in the Fatbet, losers pay the stated wager or penalty only once. For example, if the wager states that Fatbet losers must pay 10 goats, the losers do not have to give each winner 10 goats. The 10 goats would go into a kitty (or in this case, pen) to be split among the winners. If the goats cannot be evenly divided among the winners, the remaining goats shall be slaughtered immediately and the meat divided by weight (use your digital scale).

If everyone loses the Fatbet, everyone pays the Fatbet wager or penalty.
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Re: xkcd Fatbet 2012 - Gold Doubloons!

Postby Panonadin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:27 pm UTC

I would love to participate as I'm trying to drop some weight before the summer is here and doing a good job so far if I may say so. However work sucks and blocks that site with a reason as "gambling" listed.

Humph! Well I wish you luck Mighty J!!
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.
Panonadin

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:46 pm UTC

Hey, someone read this! :D
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Panonadin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:03 pm UTC

I don't know why, but when I read your post I read it as.

"Someone read this" (pronounced REED) which I then thought, well yeah. Then I got to thinking about stupid words like that need context dove, dove, tear, tear, etc.

Moving along, I'm going to try and remember to check this when I get home and sign up. Stupid work.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.
Panonadin

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:05 pm UTC

*mutters angrily under his breath*

I am still unemployed.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Cathy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:35 pm UTC

Muahaha, entered!
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!
Cathy

Postby Evengeduld » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:28 am UTC

Not going to enter this but I can provide you guys with this...

~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?
Evengeduld

Postby roband » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:28 pm UTC

Right, I'm in. The more people harrassing me, the better.

Just need to buy some scales now.
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger

Postby Panonadin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:00 pm UTC

I MADE IT FINALLY!!

Keep me in line :)
Panonadin

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:15 pm UTC

NO, you keep ME in line!

Or maybe we can both do it to eachother.

Aww yeah.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Panonadin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:22 pm UTC

I have been doing terrible with my eating, but great with my exercising. I rationalize this in my head by saying, "I can eat that, I'm biking 30 miles later". All the while that just lets me break EVEN and not actually lose weight.

Today, I had a smoothie for breakfast and a turkey wrap for lunch, I'm gonna do my best to make it just chicken breast and veggies for dinner.
Panonadin

Postby roband » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:29 pm UTC

Chicken breast, onion, spinach and lime juice, wrapped in foil and oven baked - for me tonight!

edit: oh and my scales are arriving on Saturday
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger

Postby Panonadin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:11 pm UTC

Been doing decent, need to exercise more.

Down 2 pounds!!

How you doing MJ?
Panonadin

Postby Nath » Fri May 04, 2012 5:15 am UTC

How's everyone doing? Have you seen this?
http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448
Nath

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu May 17, 2012 4:15 pm UTC

I love that guy.

My weight has stayed very static, but my physical fitness has improved enormously. I claim victory for now.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Роберт » Fri May 18, 2012 3:21 pm UTC

Nath wrote:How's everyone doing? Have you seen this?
http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448

That's awesome!

Kudos to everyone who takes their health seriously and makes decisions based on that.

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:My weight has stayed very static, but my physical fitness has improved enormously.
Good job losing some body fat and gaining some muscle mass. Keep going!
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Return to Fit Club