Today I Learned

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Today I Learned

Postby emceng » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

TIL how to look forward to work and actually be cheerful walking in the door - don't do it at 7:30 AM, do it at 1 PM. Makes the whole day better.

I also had an awesome morning. Slept in a bit, played the piano, make french toast, played video games, paid the plumber $280, and the worked out.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis
emceng

Postby ArgonV » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:33 pm UTC

MRI coils are only charged once. Their superconductivity is so large, the charge practically does not dissipate. I did not know that.
ArgonV

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:42 pm UTC

TIL that some people that wish to promote breastfeeding style themselves as being "lactivitsts". I find this simultaneously terrible and awesome.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.
Plasma Man

Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby shawnhcorey » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:28 pm UTC

I learned that Mutual Aid, not fierce competition, is the most prevalent force in evolution.
shawnhcorey

Postby Armadillo Al » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:40 pm UTC

raike wrote:Today I learned that typing '1000 miles' or some distance of about that order into WolframAlpha gives you "distance the Proclaimers would walk, just to be the man that walks a thousand miles to fall down at your door (1000 mi)"
I was very amused.

Today I learned that the line is apparently not "to be the man that walks a thousand miles before they'll latch the door".
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...
Armadillo Al

Postby Torvaun » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:48 pm UTC

Armadillo Al wrote:
raike wrote:Today I learned that typing '1000 miles' or some distance of about that order into WolframAlpha gives you "distance the Proclaimers would walk, just to be the man that walks a thousand miles to fall down at your door (1000 mi)"
I was very amused.
Today I learned that the line is apparently not "to be the man that walks a thousand miles before they'll latch the door".
I prefer the parody done by the Complainers. "I would walk 500 miles but that would make me too damn tired. So I'll break down and I'll buy a car so I can drive to the local bar."
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.
Torvaun

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:34 pm UTC

TIL: Venoms and poisons are different things.
I mostly lurk. Hello.
TimelordSimone

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:01 pm UTC

Venomous things might be safe to eat. Poisonous things definitely aren't.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.
Plasma Man

Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby TimelordSimone » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:34 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Venomous things might be safe to eat. Poisonous things definitely aren't.

Exactly! I totally thought they were basically synonyms.
I mostly lurk. Hello.
TimelordSimone

Postby shawnhcorey » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:
Plasma Man wrote:Venomous things might be safe to eat. Poisonous things definitely aren't.

Exactly! I totally thought they were basically synonyms.

Still, I think I'll avoid both. :)
Last edited by shawnhcorey on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
shawnhcorey

Postby Jave D » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

Apparently there actually isn't an underwater basket weaving class at my city college.

Damnit! :evil:
I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay
Ain't it sad?
And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That's too bad.
Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Panonadin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:27 pm UTC

Major in Journalism or something. Basically the same.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.
Panonadin

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:59 am UTC

The official flag of Washington DC is the coat of arms for George Washington.
Djehutynakht

Postby Samik » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:24 pm UTC

Yesterday I learned that I can comfortably house a 24 box of burgers from White Castle in under a half hour.*

Today I learned that there is a price for the above, to be paid by oneself and everyone around you.

(*We don't have them where I live, so I didn't really know what I was or wasn't getting in to. Wish I'd been bold and gotten the 30 box - I'm heading home soon, so likely won't get another chance. Also cannot find anyone to go toe to toe with me, so that takes a lot of the fun out of it.)
Samik

Postby DaBigCheez » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:37 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:MRI coils are only charged once. Their superconductivity is so large, the charge practically does not dissipate. I did not know that.

Fun story: My father works as a medevac helicopter pilot for a hospital. This is in a fairly rural area, so they often have to go to other hospitals to pick up patients and bring them back to the hospital he works, which is in a more major city. One of the outlying hospitals was of steel-frame construction, and was not properly shielded, but they didn't realize this when they were installing the new MRI equipment.

Result: They have to fly by GPS/visual rather than compass when in the area of that hospital, as the building is now permanently magnetized and throws the compass completely out of whack while nearby.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.
DaBigCheez

Postby Garrett » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:26 am UTC

Today I learned that math is even more awesome than I thought and that you can use it in seemingly unrelated cases and get desired results. Like solution to the "Yet Another Hat Problem" (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=348). I was like "You can't be serious...*does some calculations for various cases*... oh god".
"Death solves all problems - no man, no problem."
MyAnimeList
Garrett

Postby nlduchno » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:28 am UTC

From http://www.randomfactcats.com :
nlduchno

Postby Kithplana » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:01 am UTC

Also from randomfactcats.com:
Also, Diet Coke floats in water, while regular Coca Cola sinks. This is probably because artificial sweeteners are less dense than sugar.

I knew someone once who drank a lot of Diet Coke, but he never got less dense...
Kithplana

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:15 am UTC

Today I learned that Lean Cuisine now has an entire line of vegetarian entrees.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Soralin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:33 pm UTC

Kithplana wrote:Also from randomfactcats.com:
Also, Diet Coke floats in water, while regular Coca Cola sinks. This is probably because artificial sweeteners are less dense than sugar.

I knew someone once who drank a lot of Diet Coke, but he never got less dense...

Are you sure about that? Fat is less dense than muscle or bone. :)
Soralin

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

Kithplana wrote:Also from randomfactcats.com:

I knew someone once who drank a lot of Diet Coke, and he got more massive, but less dense...

There. Funnier now, isn't it? :roll:
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.

(Avatar by Sungura)
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:55 pm UTC

nlduchno wrote:From http://www.randomfactcats.com :

What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby userxp » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:05 pm UTC

A male micro-USB connector fits quite well in a male USB-A connector.
userxp

Postby Panonadin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:12 pm UTC

TIL - That getting a job right now may actually be hard in the US.

I used to be a bit "blind" to "the current economy" because I have a secure job at a big company. Recently I tried though to get a second job for some extra income and came up completely empty handed. I didn't apply at anything "professional" just jobs I figured anyone could go out and get. I guess it's a good thing I have a job already otherwise I would be quite sad.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.
Panonadin

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:40 pm UTC

userxp wrote:A male micro-USB connector fits quite well in a male USB-A connector.

Related: a male USB-A connector fits quite well in some Ethernet ports.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby Ptolom » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:19 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
userxp wrote:A male micro-USB connector fits quite well in a male USB-A connector.

Related: a male USB-A connector fits quite well in some Ethernet ports.

Hmm, to make the obvious dirty joke or not...
It Should Be Real wrote:Fuck the wizard.
We're doing this manually.

http://www.hexifact.co.uk - Hacking blog: in which I take some things apart, and put other things together.
Ptolom

Postby pseudoidiot » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:22 pm UTC

Always
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby Ptolom » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:01 pm UTC

You can fit a penis in a computer port. If it's one of those very old fashioned DIN ones. I don't think it's compatible though.
It Should Be Real wrote:Fuck the wizard.
We're doing this manually.

http://www.hexifact.co.uk - Hacking blog: in which I take some things apart, and put other things together.
Ptolom

Postby Kithplana » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:06 pm UTC

Soralin wrote:
Kithplana wrote:

Are you sure about that? Fat is less dense than muscle or bone. :)

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:
Kithplana wrote:I knew someone once who drank a lot of Diet Coke, and he got more massive, but less dense...

There. Funnier now, isn't it? :roll:

I knew someone once who drank a lot of Diet Coke, but he never got any smarter. </explainingthejoke>
Kithplana

Postby roband » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:44 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:You can fit a penis in a computer port. If it's one of those very old fashioned DIN ones. I don't think it's compatible though.

Not mine.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby Samik » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:06 am UTC

Today I learned that eating 4 full racks of ribs (48 bones) in an hour is, on the whole, not a good call.

The restaurant record was 72 (6 racks), so I didn't even have a respectable near miss* to show for what is sure to be several days of misery.

I think I'm retiring from this sort of thing. Guh.

*Though, to be fair, I had no idea, when I went to the restaurant, that today was all you can eat night, and that there was a record to be had. I'd eaten well today anyway, and had already put a beer in my stomach before starting. I wonder if I'd known about it in advance if I could have managed it better and done some damage to a fifth rack.
Samik

Postby Woopate » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:19 am UTC

TIL: how often I edit out the word "basically" from everything I write. It's a bizarre patten, but almost everything I write that isn't a report has a LOT of "basically" thrown in. And I've been good at taking it out while editing without noticing. Sometimes slips through, though.

It's like I have two opposing subconcious habits that cancel out. Wierd.
Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Panonadin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:15 pm UTC

Woopate wrote:TIL: how often I edit out the word "basically" from everything I write. It's a bizarre patten, but almost everything I write that isn't a report has a LOT of "basically" thrown in. And I've been good at taking it out while editing without noticing. Sometimes slips through, though.

It's like I have two opposing subconcious habits that cancel out. Wierd.

I always edit out "Anyways" when trying to move on to a different thought or sentence. I don't know I just think it sounds stupid.

Anyways, onto other things.
Panonadin

Postby lucrezaborgia » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:27 pm UTC

Panonadin wrote: Recently I tried though to get a second job for some extra income and came up completely empty handed. I didn't apply at anything "professional" just jobs I figured anyone could go out and get. I guess it's a good thing I have a job already otherwise I would be quite sad.

I get badgered quite often by people who worked 3 jobs and did school full time. Somehow I'm lazy compared to them. Never mind that I'm disabled and I know people with degrees who can't find better jobs than delivering pizza right now.
lucrezaborgia

Postby Panonadin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:33 pm UTC

I never badgered anyone, but I do understand now. I honestly thought in my head they just werent trying hard enough. That still will be the case for some I guess. I only put in about 10 online applications to places so it's not like I went door to door asking for managers but I "tried".

Sucks.
Last edited by Panonadin on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:45 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Panonadin

Postby lucrezaborgia » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:41 pm UTC

Panonadin wrote:I honestly thoght in my head they just werent trying hard enough.

A friend of mine is paying off a huge legal bill because of his psycho ex-wife. He's a teacher and he got a part-time job at Wal-Mart. The manager outright told him that they don't usually hire people with degrees because they are 'too smart' for the job and cause problems otherwise. My husband has been out of work for 3 years now and he finally gave up and went back to school about a year and a half ago. If you have been out of work for a while, it's the kiss of death. No one will consider your job application around here if you have been out of work for more than a few months.

My friend who is delivering pizza applied to one of the many customer service call centers around here and they all turned her down because she was 'too qualified' even though that type of job is a revolving door and they are practically always hiring. She went and got a degree and did everything she was told to do to be successful and all it's gotten her is a mountain of debt.
lucrezaborgia

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:49 pm UTC

"Remember kids, if you don't want to be serving burgers at McDonalds, you'd better get a degree."

"What do you mean you can't find a job after graduating? Just go serve burgers at McDonalds!"
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Panonadin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:01 pm UTC

The problem is though I tried McDonalds. I treid Burger King, and PIzza Hut and Family Dollar and 10 other "Anyone can get a job here" places. You know what I got? Exactly the things lucrezaborgia was talking about and/or not an answer at all. Some of the places even told me when I called to talk to HR that they have literally 164 applications to go through and they will call me back when they get to mine.

I am jacks eyes wide open. Job market sucks, yo.
Panonadin

Postby lucrezaborgia » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:04 pm UTC

Panonadin wrote:Some of the places even told me when I called to talk to HR that they have literally 164 applications to go through and they will call me back when they get to mine.

My husband was told something around 500+ applications for each open position whenever he tried calling to talk to someone.
lucrezaborgia

Postby JBJ » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:21 pm UTC

Tip - If you are applying to a franchise or fast food restaurant, do not go through corporate HR. Apply in person at the restaurant. Dress nice to at least business casual. Go on a weekday, preferably during a "slow" time, and ask for an application then ask if there is a general or regional manager available. If they aren't in or there, find out where they are at or when they will be in.

You're not going to stand out on paper more than anyone else for a fast food position. The store or regional manager is going to be the one making the hiring decision anyway. Better to have them size you up in person rather than pick a random application out of a stack of 200. Of the 3 jobs I had in high school/college for some part time money, I was hired within 10 minutes for each one as soon as I got it in front of the manager. For all the ones where I just put the application in the stack with everyone else, I never heard back.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.
JBJ

PreviousNext

Return to General