EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:48 am UTC

I find that surprising and a little bit unbelievable.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby BlackSails » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:35 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I find that surprising and a little bit unbelievable.

Its not terribly difficult. Basically, you get a macha, find a good LP store, and decline every mission but like the 6-7 most blitzable ones. Stuff like dread pirate scarlett, recon, etc. You can do it in lowsec for even more isk, although its probably better to use a drake (pvp fitted nanodrake can do most level 4 missions easily, and nanodrake is king of deadspace[apart from 100mn tengu, etc]) unless you have backup nearby.
BlackSails

Postby Phoenix112358 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:15 pm UTC

I joined up with a new-ish corp with only 5-6 members and they're pretty cool people. Been running level 4 missions with them and stuff. I get the feeling that they're kinda scared of moving their base of operations into low-sec/0.0, though. Is their fear warranted?

How feasible would it be for me to go mission alone in lowsec? I can only pilot up to a Destroyer at the moment, but I'm training for a Myrmidon which should be done soonish.
Phoenix112358

Postby BlackSails » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:39 am UTC

Phoenix112358 wrote:I joined up with a new-ish corp with only 5-6 members and they're pretty cool people. Been running level 4 missions with them and stuff. I get the feeling that they're kinda scared of moving their base of operations into low-sec/0.0, though. Is their fear warranted?

How feasible would it be for me to go mission alone in lowsec? I can only pilot up to a Destroyer at the moment, but I'm training for a Myrmidon which should be done soonish.

If you are missioning in groups, you will probably all get slaughtered in lowsec. Missioning in lowsec is very lucrative, as long as you do it in a nanodrake or some ship that can take care of itself and mission while pvp fit. Myrm can mission while pvp fit, but not quickly, and you need to be able to nano to fight in a mission pocket.
BlackSails

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:21 am UTC

Don't a lot of missions disable MWD? I wouldn't have thought nano would be that helpful there.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."
Spambot5546

Postby hendusoone » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:46 am UTC

Aye, if they take place in a deadspace pocket, you can't MWD while inside.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.
hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby Phoenix112358 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:04 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:
Phoenix112358 wrote:I joined up with a new-ish corp with only 5-6 members and they're pretty cool people. Been running level 4 missions with them and stuff. I get the feeling that they're kinda scared of moving their base of operations into low-sec/0.0, though. Is their fear warranted?

If you are missioning in groups, you will probably all get slaughtered in lowsec. Missioning in lowsec is very lucrative, as long as you do it in a nanodrake or some ship that can take care of itself and mission while pvp fit. Myrm can mission while pvp fit, but not quickly, and you need to be able to nano to fight in a mission pocket.

So it really is as risky as they allude to, then. Might stay in high sec just a while longer.

Speaking of Drakes, how-come you always hear about people using very specific ships out in low/null? Like, Rifters for tackling and Blackbirds for EWAR and Drakes in general. I get that Drakes are pretty good but I get the impression from reading forums and /r/eve that there are very 'standard' ships that are used, and not much else. Is that the case? Should I train toward some of the more 'standard' ships used by other races, rather than going for ones in my race which seem to be used (or at least talked about) less?
Phoenix112358

Postby halbarad » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:34 am UTC

hendusoone wrote:Aye, if they take place in a deadspace pocket, you can't MWD while inside.

That was changed back in Incursion (I believe) and now almost all missions allow MWDs to be used, though there are still a few that don't (probably due to how quickly they could be completed with them).
halbarad

Postby Sytri » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:40 am UTC

OK, I have a free weekend coming up and was thinking of giving this a try. How easy is it to get into? Would I need to read up a lot before being half-way competent or could I jump in and pick it up reasonably well? My only experience of MMOs is 5 years of WoW and I tried Star Trek online when it first came out but hated it, mainly due to the poor graphics and awful gameplay when you were on a planet.

All help appreciated. Thanks.
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.
Sytri

Postby BlackSails » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:23 pm UTC

hendusoone wrote:Aye, if they take place in a deadspace pocket, you can't MWD while inside.

Spambot5546 wrote:Don't a lot of missions disable MWD? I wouldn't have thought nano would be that helpful there.

This was changed quite some time ago (ie, the patch immediately after I started playing), about a year ago.

OK, I have a free weekend coming up and was thinking of giving this a try. How easy is it to get into? Would I need to read up a lot before being half-way competent or could I jump in and pick it up reasonably well? My only experience of MMOs is 5 years of WoW and I tried Star Trek online when it first came out but hated it, mainly due to the poor graphics and awful gameplay when you were on a planet.

It is quite hard to get into, and involves a lot of reading. It is a very complicated game.
BlackSails

Postby hendusoone » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:14 am UTC

halbarad wrote:

That was changed back in Incursion (I believe) and now almost all missions allow MWDs to be used, though there are still a few that don't (probably due to how quickly they could be completed with them).
Ahh, good to know! Thanks! Dunno how I missed that patch note...

Time to re-fit my ship.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.
hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby Phoenix112358 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:22 am UTC

Sytri wrote:OK, I have a free weekend coming up and was thinking of giving this a try. How easy is it to get into? Would I need to read up a lot before being half-way competent or could I jump in and pick it up reasonably well? My only experience of MMOs is 5 years of WoW and I tried Star Trek online when it first came out but hated it, mainly due to the poor graphics and awful gameplay when you were on a planet.

All help appreciated. Thanks.

Definitely give it a try! The tutorial agents gives you enough information to not be completely lost afterward, but you'll want to read up on any areas you wish to pursue afterward.

There's so much depth to this game it's amazing.
Phoenix112358

Postby BlackSails » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:55 pm UTC

BlackSails

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:59 pm UTC

Can you say 'fit for damage'?
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:09 pm UTC

Not a single resist or rep mod, what the hell was that thing ever supposed to do?
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
Spambot5546

Postby BlackSails » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:16 pm UTC

Run sanctums and make about 400m isk/hour
BlackSails

Postby airtank » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:52 am UTC

YO ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS I'VE BEEN PLAYING EVE FOR A YEAR AND I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THIS THREAD EXISTED.

hi, i'm one of your friendly (and increasingly-inactive -- thanks eve) #xkcd ops. i play eve online in the internet spaceship alliance fatal ascension. we're blue to goons and it's fucking fun.
airtank

Postby halbarad » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:44 am UTC

I've resubbed (again) and trying the high sec life one last time. If it doesn't work out for me then I'm going to go live in low or null sec for a good while and spend almost all my time PVP'ing, rather than some of my time PVP'ing.
halbarad

Postby BlackSails » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:39 pm UTC

airtank wrote:YO ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS I'VE BEEN PLAYING EVE FOR A YEAR AND I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THIS THREAD EXISTED.

hi, i'm one of your friendly (and increasingly-inactive -- thanks eve) #xkcd ops. i play eve online in the internet spaceship alliance fatal ascension. we're blue to goons and it's fucking fun.

Oh, you are in FA? We made a video recently, featuring you and your friends. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuR1oJwlo5M

The BR is here: http://teamliquid.killmail.org/?a=kill_ ... d=12431287

We lost 2 drakes after the video/BR end. I died due to being traffic controlled on the gate with 200 people landing on top of me, and the 2nd drake died on the burn off on the other side, combined with grid issues (our scimi and huginn vanished off grid)

Also, the trash talk we recieved in local was along the lines of "LOL THANKS FOR ALL THESE WRECKS THAT YOU ARE TOO BAD TO LOOT"
BlackSails

Postby mike-l » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:49 am UTC

So, I'm reinstalling. Not sure if I can recover my pilot, but he was only a couple months old, so no loss if not.

I did mining last time. This time I want combat, whether it be missions, ratting, or pvp. Any tips on the best way to train to get into it fast?
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.
mike-l

Postby Spambot5546 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:13 am UTC

Pick a loadout and EVEMon that bitch.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
Spambot5546

Postby halbarad » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:37 am UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:Pick a loadout and EVEMon that bitch.

QFT

Also remember that everyone but Amarr can run missions in any faction space due to damage types they deal but Lasers don't work so well on the rats in the other faction space.
halbarad

Postby BlackSails » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:05 pm UTC

halbarad wrote:
Spambot5546 wrote:Pick a loadout and EVEMon that bitch.

QFT

Also remember that everyone but Amarr can run missions in any faction space due to damage types they deal but Lasers don't work so well on the rats in the other faction space.

Kin/therm is also a poor choice vs angels and vs blood raiders.
BlackSails

Postby mike-l » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:35 pm UTC

Ok, so I log in and have 2.1 million skill points to apply... a little overwhelming! Put a bunch of skills to 4 that I had been working on, now I need to do crap tons of research on where to spend my remaining 1.7m.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.
mike-l

Postby BlackSails » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:26 pm UTC

It might be worth it just selling this character and buying another one. Unspent skillpoints are pretty valuable.
BlackSails

Postby mike-l » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:13 pm UTC

Nah, I'm gonna use them to get into a Raven and start PVEing post haste
mike-l

Postby Swivelguy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:42 pm UTC

Oh god not a raven.

Just get into a drake and then work towards tengu or crosstraining one of the other races. You'll thank us later.
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis
Swivelguy

Postby BlackSails » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:48 am UTC

Drake actually blitzes better than raven.
BlackSails

Postby mike-l » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:28 am UTC

The various guides I've read have all liked the raven... I really don't know anything.
mike-l

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:08 am UTC

Raven can be an excellent PvE ship.Upgrade to a Raven and you're set for high-sec mishing. but that's ALL it's good for. If you train for it you're training missile and spaceship command skills that have no value outside of running high-sec missions.

By contrast a Drake can be a reasonably effective PvP ship and uses the same weapon skills as a Tengu, which is an absolute beast in both PvP and PvE. You also get the Battlecruiser skill, which lends itself to a multitude of awesome ships.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
Spambot5546

Postby BlackSails » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:35 am UTC

Basically, in missioning, the best way to make ISK is to blitz missions. This means you kill as few of the npcs as possible, in an attempt to maximize the LP/hour. The drake, due to a combination of its range, mobility and tank, is the best (cheap) blitzing ship. The raven simply doesnt blitz any faster than the drake, and in most cases, will be far slower. (Go ahead, kill those cruisers with cruise missiles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hGaK2WNdtE is a video made by my corpmate. He uses a machariel (which is the best expensive blitzing ship), but its a good guide nonetheless.
BlackSails

Postby mike-l » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:08 am UTC

Alright, if I just get the skills for the Drake and its corresponding certificates will I be in a decent place to play around and learn shit?
mike-l

Postby halbarad » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:24 am UTC

mike-l wrote:Alright, if I just get the skills for the Drake and its corresponding certificates will I be in a decent place to play around and learn shit?

Yes. Drake is pretty much the standard for missioning ships.

I've had two characters who both fly Drakes and can fly Ravens and the Drake was considerably faster, even on level 4s. They've both moved on to Tengus and missions just fly by, if a mission takes longer than 20 minutes then I'm not paying enough attention.
halbarad

Postby mike-l » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:55 am UTC

Ok, so I got most of the skills I need for my fititng, bought the ship and a bunch of mods for it.. and then I realized, I can only do level 1 missions, hehe. So it's staying in the hanger for a while, as I'm pretty sure the missiles cost me almost as much as the rewards. (Oh the problems of free skill points)
mike-l

Postby Mishrak » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:52 pm UTC

Hah! Hate it when that happens. Use it for level 2's and 3's! You'll find it handles those very fast which is worth more than the rewards for sure. Just stick a target painter on there, split your stacks, and use t1 ammo.

I like the Golem and Marauders a lot. It's nice if you're doing more than just blitzing LP and you're actually planning to salvage everything. I enjoyed building rigs and ships out of the minerals (Fleet stabbers when they were 100m). I realize now though, that the best way to do level 4's is with a Tengu and to focus on LP.

Ultimately, the best missions outside of nullsec level 4's, are the level 5's in lowsec. It takes a lot of work and a Carrier to do them properly, but holy cow does the isk flow when you can do those.
Mishrak

Postby BlackSails » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:05 am UTC

Mishrak wrote: I realize now though, that the best way to do level 4's is with a Tengu and to focus on LP.

Ultimately, the best missions outside of nullsec level 4's, are the level 5's in lowsec. It takes a lot of work and a Carrier to do them properly, but holy cow does the isk flow when you can do those.

Tengu is pretty slow, but for lowsec its best, since a 100mn pvp tengu is easier to solo in than a macha.

And level 5s arent that great when you factor in the need to either have a carrier in every system, or multiple accounts to cyno it around.
BlackSails

Postby mike-l » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:47 am UTC

So I found much cheaper missiles and can actually use my drake now, woo! I'm so hopeless at this game still. Silly question, how do I use my drones? Right now they're in my cargohold.
mike-l

Postby Swivelguy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:42 am UTC

I believe that Tengus can solo certain L5 missions, but probably not in a 100mn or difficult-to-probe setups. Also, I've never even done a L4 mission, so don't take my word for it.
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis
Swivelguy

Postby mike-l » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:01 pm UTC

So I just got a mission (worlds collide) that only allows frigates and destroyers. Is this a regular thing? Should I be looking into outfitting a frigate for such missions?
mike-l

Postby BlackSails » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:40 pm UTC

For lower level missions, yeah, some of them dont let bcs or bs in. A caracal should be fine for them.
BlackSails

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming