Having problems with router

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

Having problems with router

Postby mitch1423 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:23 am UTC

I believe my router cannot handle as many internet connections as I use. For example, when I start uTorrent, even with only a few torrents, I can't visit any web pages and most applications that use the internet will not work. I got this router from my cable company, Charter. I was wondering; is it possible to remove my router from the process and just connect directly to my modem? I've read on some websites that bad routers can freeze up when using lots of connections, although this may not be correct. Would it be worth it to buy a new router? Also how can I be sure that one would hold up better? Thanks in advance for any help.
mitch1423

Re: Having problems with router

Postby Ianfitz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:49 am UTC

Some ISPs will throttle your internet speed when they see you torrenting; it eats a lot of bandwidth on their end. I don't know if Charter does it or not, I know TWC (I have it, download is great, upload sucks) has a habit of throttling, too.
Your applications may just be timing out from the throttled speed.
I'm in seventh grade, don't expect much.
Ianfitz

Postby mitch1423 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:38 am UTC

Thanks for the reply, but I'm pretty sure they are not throttling. I can get full speeds on torrents most of the time, depending on the quality of seeders. Even when seeding huge amounts of torrents they all seem to work. I just wish I could use the internet on other applications as well.
mitch1423

Postby Ianfitz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:43 am UTC

Odd, but using uTorrent you should be able to use the cap bandwidth option, cap it to something below max. It may be uTorrent claiming higher priority than the others.
I'm in seventh grade, don't expect much.
Ianfitz

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:05 am UTC

It's likely you're filling (and exceeding) the session table in your router, as a lot of torrent clients have some silly defaults. Try cutting your global maximum connections and maximum half-open connections by 20-50%. It's possible you'll also get better speeds out of the deal - after a certain point, you lose more to overhead than you get from the extra connections, and I've found uTorrent tends to be a little too aggressive with its defaults
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.
PhoenixEnigma

Postby mitch1423 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:31 am UTC

My settings are 20 connections max, 10 peers per torrent, 4 upload slots per torrent, so I can't see how this can put that much load on my router. Also is it possible to bypass my router if my ISP gave it to us?
mitch1423

Postby Carnildo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:24 am UTC

mitch1423 wrote:My settings are 20 connections max, 10 peers per torrent, 4 upload slots per torrent, so I can't see how this can put that much load on my router.

Bittorrent can open and close connections very quickly, and routers usually have a substantial timeout before they re-use a connection slot.
Carnildo

Postby LikwidCirkel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:18 pm UTC

I once had a similar problem. I'm pretty damn sure it came down to the router crashing or dropping TCP connections because of limited memory for it's NAT tables.

The only solution I found was to get a non-piece-of-shit router. I bought a cheap one and it worked much better. If your router is one of those really crappy modem/router combos from your ISP and you have to use it, you'll probably have to disable NAT and set your modem/router in bridge mode before you can use your own. I pretty much always do this because I've never seen an ISP-provided modem or router that's not loaded with very limited and junky firmware. You's then have to configure your router to do the PPPoE or whatever authentication instead of the ISP-router.
LikwidCirkel

Postby mitch1423 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:18 am UTC

Ok thanks. I've just got a few questions.

Do I need another router before I set my ISP-provided router in bridge mode?
Can you link me a tutorial for setting my router in bridge mode? A generalized one will probably work, I'm not too incompetent.
Do you have a suggestion for a router, as I have no idea what to pick?

Thanks for all your help.
mitch1423

Postby Red Hal » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:50 am UTC

What model is your router?
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."
Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby mitch1423 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:31 am UTC

An Arris TM602A I believe.
mitch1423

Postby Red Hal » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:48 am UTC

Ok, the model you posted is a modem, so there should be no box beyond that for you to connect to. Do you have anything between that and your computer?
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."
Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby mitch1423 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:59 pm UTC

Motorola-D3572 might be the model then. I'm not sure as it isn't clearly identified like the modem was. I confused the modem for the router I guess.
mitch1423

Postby Red Hal » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:22 pm UTC

I'm not familiar with that one, when you go into your router's configuration page what model number does it give?
Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby mitch1423 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:11 am UTC

Honestly I can't seem to find a thing, I've looked everywhere on the configuration pages(192.168.0.1), but I can't seem to find anything. I can't find a model number mentioned anywhere. All I know is that it is made by Motorola.

EDIT: It looks almost exactly like this one except it has more lights on it. I can't seem to find any information about older models. :/

EDIT 2: Oh fuck me. It's on a tiny sticker on the back. I thought there was only one... I'm a moron. Anyway the model is a Motorola SBG941.
mitch1423

Return to The Help Desk