Humans will never understand each other

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Hawknc, Zamfir, Prelates, Moderators General

Humans will never understand each other

Postby Роберт » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:38 pm UTC

A Cracked article for the "news and articles" forum. I've noticed some of the fallacies happening here so I thought it would be useful to post. I know I've done so in the past and will in the future, but it's nice to keep them in mind so you do it less:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-reasons-h ... ach-other/
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт
 
Posts: 4301
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby quantumcat42 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:32 pm UTC

Great article, thanks for sharing.

Alexander Hamilton wrote:Ambition, avarice, personal animosity, party opposition, and many other motives not more laudable than these, are apt to operate as well upon those who support as those who oppose the right side of a question. Were there not even these inducements to moderation, nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. For in politics, as in religion, it is equally absurd to aim at making proselytes by fire and sword. Heresies in either can rarely be cured by persecution.
quantumcat42
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:06 pm UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:11 pm UTC

Despite being Cracked... wow. Nice.
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?
 
Posts: 10822
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Jave D » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:04 am UTC

I like that article.

Except for all the commentators who wrote about how it wasn't funny or good and thus sucked. Those people just suck. They probably pursue the cause of suckiness because they hate the world, since they are not really human and want to destroy everything.
I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay
Ain't it sad?
And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That's too bad.
User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
 
Posts: 989
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:11 am UTC

Eh, they're all trolls. I really don't like this posting of a cracked article on the N&A forum. I like cracked as much as the next guy, but it's not news.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
 
Posts: 6407
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby meatyochre » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:46 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Eh, they're all trolls. I really don't like this posting of a cracked article on the N&A forum. I like cracked as much as the next guy, but it's not news.

It's still an article :O
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image
User avatar
meatyochre
 
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:59 am UTC

But it's not like just any article flies here, right? Like, if I posted a wikipedia article about Simpsons Episode 12 of Season 17, or something, that's an article but I don't think it would fit this forum.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
 
Posts: 6407
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:09 am UTC

We don't have a thread for Cracked already, and it's interesting, so...

One of the reasons I love Cracked is how the editors sneak rationalist/feminist articles like this into the comedy mix. See The 8 Stupidest Defenses Against Accusations of Sexism, which has one of my favorite sentences.
If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.
The card wrote:GO TO THE CIRCUS. FIREWORKS AND WHISTLES, LION TAMERS AND CLOWNS. HOO RAH.
User avatar
Magnanimous
 
Posts: 3321
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:10 am UTC

Mind you, that article then went on to "insult" sexists by saying they're all virgins.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
 
Posts: 6407
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby lutzj » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:57 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Mind you, that article then went on to "insult" sexists by saying they're all virgins.


To be fair, the article was specifically addressing defenders of sexist comics, who, presumably, get less action that your run-of-the-mill sexists.
addams wrote:I'm not a bot.
That is what a bot would type.
User avatar
lutzj
 
Posts: 896
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:20 am UTC
Location: Ontario

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:21 am UTC

lutzj wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:Mind you, that article then went on to "insult" sexists by saying they're all virgins.


To be fair, the article was specifically addressing defenders of sexist comics, who, presumably, get less action that your run-of-the-mill sexists.

...So because it's "true", it's less hypocritical somehow...? What?
User avatar
ameretrifle
Vera
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:32 am UTC
Location: Florida (the northern bit)

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Diadem » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:09 am UTC

I like this quote
If you really want to know what it's like for someone else, you have to be able to picture them in their shoes. Not you.

Very true.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister
User avatar
Diadem
 
Posts: 4887
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby benpipe » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:08 am UTC

This is true humans will never understand each other and they will always find other as enemies.
benpipe
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:23 am UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Jave D » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:30 pm UTC

ameretrifle wrote:
lutzj wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:Mind you, that article then went on to "insult" sexists by saying they're all virgins.


To be fair, the article was specifically addressing defenders of sexist comics, who, presumably, get less action that your run-of-the-mill sexists.

...So because it's "true", it's less hypocritical somehow...? What?


Hypocrisy and being truthful are not mutually exclusive.
I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay
Ain't it sad?
And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That's too bad.
User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
 
Posts: 989
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Роберт » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:04 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:But it's not like just any article flies here, right? Like, if I posted a wikipedia article about Simpsons Episode 12 of Season 17, or something, that's an article but I don't think it would fit this forum.

If we need to, we could create a thread for "articles that don't really deserve their own thread" sort of like the "in other news" thread. I just thought this one happened to be significantly relevant to this forum, so I posted it.

Jave D wrote:I like that article.

Except for all the commentators who wrote about how it wasn't funny or good and thus sucked. Those people just suck. They probably pursue the cause of suckiness because they hate the world, since they are not really human and want to destroy everything.
Cracked readers... you can't understand them. :lol:
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт
 
Posts: 4301
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:05 pm UTC

Jave D wrote:Hypocrisy and being truthful are not mutually exclusive.

Lying to yourself and honesty aren't mutually exclusive?

Please, explain. I am eager to learn.
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?
 
Posts: 10822
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Kizyr » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:26 pm UTC

lutzj wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:Mind you, that article then went on to "insult" sexists by saying they're all virgins.

To be fair, the article was specifically addressing defenders of sexist comics, who, presumably, get less action that your run-of-the-mill sexists.

More than that, the article was specifically addressing people who'd commented in his earlier article (the X most sexist depictions of women in comics -- can't remember the exact title offhand and I can't access Cracked here). It's more so insulting commenters in that previous thread, then segueing from that into a broader discussion on sexism in comics.

On the original topic, I think it's appropriate to discuss relevant/interesting Cracked articles here. It's not only news that gets discussed in N&A.

Jave D wrote:Except for all the commentators who wrote about how it wasn't funny or good and thus sucked. Those people just suck. They probably pursue the cause of suckiness because they hate the world, since they are not really human and want to destroy everything.

Cracked commenters are like 50% trolls. Some of the columnists take frequent jabs at the commenters (though not all -- Luke reads the comments, John Cheese never does, e.g.). And occasionally stupid comments get called out altogether rather -- the "stupidest defenses of sexism" article was entirely borne out of, well, stupid defenses of sexism in an earlier article. KF
~Kaiser
Image
User avatar
Kizyr
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:16 am UTC
Location: Virginia

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:28 pm UTC

I'm not worried about the truth value of the statement that sexists are more likely to be virgins (though I sort of doubt it), but using virgin as an insult is both dickish and an ad-Hominem.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
 
Posts: 6407
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Kizyr » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:32 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:I'm not worried about the truth value of the statement that sexists are more likely to be virgins (though I sort of doubt it), but using virgin as an insult is both dickish and an ad-Hominem.

Now that you mention it, yes, that really did bug me too when I first read the article. KF
~Kaiser
Image
User avatar
Kizyr
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:16 am UTC
Location: Virginia

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Роберт » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:46 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:I'm not worried about the truth value of the statement that sexists are more likely to be virgins (though I sort of doubt it), but using virgin as an insult is both dickish and an ad-Hominem.

I kinda thought he was being tongue in cheek with those comments, as he was responding to commenters that called him "gay" for not liking sexist artwork in comics.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт
 
Posts: 4301
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:20 pm UTC

Yes, when you encounter blatant hypocrisy on a humor website, it's fair to assume that the hypocrisy was intentional and meant to be humorous.
Heisenberg
 
Posts: 3785
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Belial » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:28 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:but using virgin as an insult is both dickish and an ad-Hominem.


So what you're saying is that the content of a humour website wouldn't pass muster in debate club?

Well, I'm goddamn scandalized. I'm getting all lightheaded like that time I learned that the pieces on the Daily Show aren't classroom examples of television journalism.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
 
Posts: 30195
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:29 pm UTC

It's possible to both be funny and debate logically. Admittedly I can't quite pull it off, but still.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
 
Posts: 6407
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:12 pm UTC

I have determined every post in this thread to have been written by a shallow, pedantic hater.
User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
 
Posts: 2931
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby moiraemachy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:02 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:I'm not worried about the truth value of the statement that sexists are more likely to be virgins (though I sort of doubt it), but using virgin as an insult is both dickish and an ad-Hominem.


I may be giving the author too much credit, but I thought the idea wasn't to imply that virgins are losers, it was more along the lines of "if you are sexist enough to defend these point, you probably are a male who is bound to gender roles and evaluate other male's worth by how much they get laid. So let's poke where it hurts".
moiraemachy
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:47 pm UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Jave D » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:31 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Jave D wrote:Hypocrisy and being truthful are not mutually exclusive.

Lying to yourself and honesty aren't mutually exclusive?

Please, explain. I am eager to learn.


Hypocrisy is saying "do X" while doing Y. This doesn't mean that doing X is, in truth, not a good thing to do.
I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay
Ain't it sad?
And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That's too bad.
User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
 
Posts: 989
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby ameretrifle » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:51 am UTC

moiraemachy wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:I'm not worried about the truth value of the statement that sexists are more likely to be virgins (though I sort of doubt it), but using virgin as an insult is both dickish and an ad-Hominem.


I may be giving the author too much credit, but I thought the idea wasn't to imply that virgins are losers, it was more along the lines of "if you are sexist enough to defend these point, you probably are a male who is bound to gender roles and evaluate other male's worth by how much they get laid. So let's poke where it hurts".

That's the interpretation I'm hoping is correct, which is why I'm not too fussed about it; but playing into sexist and heteronormative stereotypes is kind of dissonant and hypocritical in an article attacking sexism. Yes, it is humor. But it is also trying to make a point, and does it being comedy really mean you can't point out how it might be undercutting its own point?
User avatar
ameretrifle
Vera
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:32 am UTC
Location: Florida (the northern bit)

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:07 am UTC

I had a falling out with a close friend over stuff like this. I claimed that Bush had good intentions but that he was making mistakes. He declared that I was an idiot for seeing Bush as anything other than a demon hellbent on sucking the lifeblood of the US (or a puppet of another hellspawn).

Oh, and he claimed I was an idiot for even trying to bring up any type of criticisms about any righteous infallible heroic heroes like Mandela, MLK, or Harvey Milk. Never mind the manipulation and the lies, if it was for a good cause the ends always justifies the means!
User avatar
CorruptUser
 
Posts: 6526
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:03 am UTC

Jave D wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Jave D wrote:Hypocrisy and being truthful are not mutually exclusive.

Lying to yourself and honesty aren't mutually exclusive?

Please, explain. I am eager to learn.


Hypocrisy is saying "do X" while doing Y. This doesn't mean that doing X is, in truth, not a good thing to do.

Correct. Now explain how hypocrisy and being truthful are not mutually exclusive.
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?
 
Posts: 10822
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby elasto » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:19 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I had a falling out with a close friend over stuff like this. I claimed that Bush had good intentions but that he was making mistakes. He declared that I was an idiot for seeing Bush as anything other than a demon hellbent on sucking the lifeblood of the US (or a puppet of another hellspawn).

Oh, and he claimed I was an idiot for even trying to bring up any type of criticisms about any righteous infallible heroic heroes like Mandela, MLK, or Harvey Milk. Never mind the manipulation and the lies, if it was for a good cause the ends always justifies the means!
I think this could have been a section of the article:

People critique those they like by their intentions - frequently assuming the best possible intentions - rationalising away observed differences between assumed intentions and observed actions. People critique those they dislike in the opposite fashion.

I think humans essentially operate driven by gut instinct - with the rational mind not so much directing and controlling belief as slavishly seeking to rationalise and justify conclusions already arrived at subconsciously.
elasto
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:50 am UTC

Jalapeno is right here: hypocrisy is mutually exclusive with truth because hypocrisy constitutes a contradiction. If you hold two opposing stances, one has to be wrong, i.e. untruthful.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
 
Posts: 6407
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Shivahn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:56 am UTC

elasto wrote:People critique those they like by their intentions - frequently assuming the best possible intentions - rationalising away observed differences between assumed intentions and observed actions. People critique those they dislike in the opposite fashion.

It's really just a case of extended attribution error. People attribute their own failures to situations and others' to personality flaws.

When I'm late, it's because the car wouldn't start and then traffic sucked, but everyone else should've left earlier in case they had traffic.
User avatar
Shivahn
 
Posts: 2193
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby kiklion » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:31 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:
elasto wrote:People critique those they like by their intentions - frequently assuming the best possible intentions - rationalising away observed differences between assumed intentions and observed actions. People critique those they dislike in the opposite fashion.

It's really just a case of extended attribution error. People attribute their own failures to situations and others' to personality flaws.

When I'm late, it's because the car wouldn't start and then traffic sucked, but everyone else should've left earlier in case they had traffic.


People really think that? I mean, sure I understand people saying those things when arriving late to work to attempt to deflect blame. I've said I was late because of a traffic when really I was at a deli where the person who took my order forgot about me for 30 minutes and I am too non-confrontational to bring it up, but I really knew I should have left the deli earlier or gotten her attention and reminded her what I ordered.
kiklion
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:02 am UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Belial » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:02 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Correct. Now explain how hypocrisy and being truthful are not mutually exclusive.


Because if I'm doing Y, but I say "you should do X", that doesn't make "you should do X" a lie.

FOR EXAMPLE.

Common occurence: let's say I, between drags on my cigarette, tell you that smoking is a filthy habit and you shouldn't start it. And you should quit it if you've already started.

Is that a lie? Am I being dishonest, just because I'm smoking while I say it? No, but I am being hypocritical. Maybe I have reason to be: maybe I'm not strong or dedicated enough to carry out what I know to be the right course of action, but that doesn't stop me from telling you what that course would be.

Or maybe I think smoking is awesome and I'm trying to keep all the cigarettes for myself. Only at that point would I be dishonest.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
 
Posts: 30195
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:29 pm UTC

I agree with Belial.

Other examples that I can think of (some more controversial than others):
* Thinking a video game tactic is "cheap" and needs to be removed from a game, but abusing it anyway so that you can get a better score than the opponent.
* A presidential candidate can be against Super-pacs but still use them because not using them would put him at a significant disadvantage against his foes.

They make terrible political points, but it doesn't change the fact that the debater is correct in his argument. He's just himself a hypocrite.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.
KnightExemplar
 
Posts: 2366
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby quantumcat42 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:47 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:* Thinking a video game tactic is "cheap" and needs to be removed from a game, but abusing it anyway so that you can get a better score than the opponent.
* A presidential candidate can be against Super-pacs but still use them because not using them would put him at a significant disadvantage against his foes.

I don't know that either of those would be necessarily "hypocritical"; it depends on the actual stance expressed. If the gamer says "they should take out this cheat" but uses it anyway, or if the candidate says "Super PACs shouldn't be legal" but raises funds with them, that's just working in the real world. They may honestly wish the rules were different, but they don't have a problem working with the rules they're given. But If the gamer says "people shouldn't use this cheat" or the candidate says "people shouldn't accept the support of Super PACs", then we're dealing with hypocrisy.

I've actually seen Belial's smoking example IRL -- a friend's dad was trying to quit, but couldn't do it. He pulled over and lit a cigarette, passionately admonishing us the whole time never to take up smoking. Hypocrisy, yes, but not unreasonably so...
quantumcat42
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:06 pm UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Belial » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:48 pm UTC

quantumcat42 wrote:I've actually seen Belial's smoking example IRL


There's a reason I led with "common occurrence". It's a thing a loooot of smokers say.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
 
Posts: 30195
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby quantumcat42 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:19 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
quantumcat42 wrote:I've actually seen Belial's smoking example IRL


There's a reason I led with "common occurrence". It's a thing a loooot of smokers say.

Hey, I'm just pushing it one anecdote closer to data :D
quantumcat42
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:06 pm UTC

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:43 pm UTC

Exactly. You're lying to yourself, no matter how you slice it.
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?
 
Posts: 10822
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can

Re: Humans will never understand each other

Postby Radical_Initiator » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:49 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Exactly. You're lying to yourself, no matter how you slice it.

I'm actually not seeing how that amounts to "lying to yourself". The person knows smoking is bad for them, would like to quit because they know it is (quite truthfully) bad for them, but ends up not quitting because of something else. That person knows exactly why they're not quitting or not going to quit.
I looked out across the river today …
Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Next

Return to News & Articles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests