In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Hawknc, Zamfir, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Dark567 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:35 pm UTC

The most sleep deprived professions*:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americas- ... 03794.html

*I'd include a spoiler but it isn't working for some reason
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Роберт » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:The most sleep deprived professions*:

I'm a software engineer, not a programmer, and I get lots of sleep.

I find it amusing that programmers get some of the least sleep and engineers get the most. Not a lot of variation in averages, though.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Postby Dark567 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:48 pm UTC

Роберт wrote: Not a lot of variation in averages, though.
Yeah, the range was only like 23 minutes different. Probably a lot bigger deal where you work then the specific occupation.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dauric » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:06 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:The most sleep deprived professions*:

... Yeah, I think these lists are bullshit. The one that seems glaringly inaccurate is that Aircraft Pilots are on the "most Sleep" list. Pilots, especially short-haul regional pilots, have notoriously whacked schedules that ride the line of illegality. Pilot Fatigue is a major issue in the airline industry. They might be counting total hours slept, but if you're catching a few dozen 30-minute naps it doesn't make you well rested.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. Later, Garrus was eaten by a shark. It is believed that the Point has perished in the accident. Back to you Bob.
Dauric

Location: If I knew this with any accuracy I wouldn't know if I was going to get a speeding ticket.

Postby Felstaff » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:07 pm UTC

23 minutes a day works out to nearly 12 hours a month. That's an extra 6 days' sleep a year. Given that you work in your chosen profession for say, around 40 years, you're losing a cumulative 8 months of sleep in your lifetime, based on the job you've taken.
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Panonadin » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:28 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:23 minutes a day works out to nearly 12 hours a month. That's an extra 6 days' sleep a year. Given that you work in your chosen profession for say, around 40 years, you're losing a cumulative 8 months of sleep in your lifetime, based on the job you've taken.

I do not like your new Avatar.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.
Panonadin

Postby buddy431 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:21 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:23 minutes a day works out to nearly 12 hours a month. That's an extra 6 days' sleep a year. Given that you work in your chosen profession for say, around 40 years, you're losing a cumulative 8 months of sleep in your lifetime, based on the job you've taken.

But that variation is much less than the variation between individuals in a given job, based on other aspects (like, how much they like to sleep vs. go out). Some of those differences are probably statistically significant (they did interview 27,000 people), but I really don't think that too much should be read into them.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.
buddy431

Postby mousewiz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:10 am UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:Dolphins deserve rights, scientists told

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/02/21 ... ists-told/

Not sure if that's a good idea.

I like that Ms. Marino is advocating rights for dolphins.
Perhaps next up will be an article where a Ms. Lemieux advocates rights for penguins?
mousewiz

Postby Weeks » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:15 am UTC

Panonadin wrote:

What is wrong with you?
Magnanimous wrote:If it begs you to switch browsers, would it be Internet Implorer?
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:25 am UTC

Not only do I like it, but I'm trying to get up the courage to ask it out for coffee.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.
TheGrammarBolshevik

Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby Radical_Initiator » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:21 am UTC

I wanted to ask it out, but it's out of my league. :(
I looked out across the river today …
Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby buddy431 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:50 am UTC

John Edwards' sex tape to be destroyed

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/23/justice/north-carolina-edwards-sex-tape/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

Bummer, because I'd really been looking forward to seeing that...
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.
buddy431

Postby Ghostbear » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:51 am UTC

buddy431 wrote:Bummer, because I'd really been looking forward to seeing that...

The scary part is that some people, somewhere, are saying or thinking that non-sarcastically.
Ghostbear

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:18 am UTC

Panonadin wrote:

I'm sure Felstaff will devastated by this
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
The Mighty Thesaurus
a.k.a. The Puissant Lexicographical Tome

Postby Felstaff » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:26 am UTC

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:01 pm UTC

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby ShortChelsea » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:05 pm UTC

Heh. That is awesome. :D
ShortChelsea
One thousand four hundred and thirty seven

Postby JBJ » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:15 pm UTC

I don't get it. How did his crossed eyes lead to a conviction? I mean, aside from it being an characteristic used to identify by witnesses, but that's like saying idiot rioter convicted thanks to having a large mole on his chin.

Edit - Nevermind, about the how. I just saw the caption under the pic. Police combed through CCTV camera footage using his eyes as an identifying marker, but still, I don't get what's funny about it.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.
JBJ

Postby Dauric » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:20 pm UTC

JBJ wrote:

I don't get it. How did his crossed eyes lead to a conviction? I mean, aside from it being an characteristic used to identify by witnesses, but that's like saying idiot rioter convicted thanks to having a large mole on his chin.

The distinctive feature probably gave the police an idea where to look for other clues as to his activities using the pervasive CCTV system London has. In and of itself it probably wouldn't have convicted, but it probably allowed the police to track him despite having used a ski-mask during the arson which would have allowed the police to find [hypothetical] where he may have disposed of the mask and/or gloves that may have been sources of DNA evidence and traces of accelerant [/hypothetical].
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. Later, Garrus was eaten by a shark. It is believed that the Point has perished in the accident. Back to you Bob.
Dauric

Location: If I knew this with any accuracy I wouldn't know if I was going to get a speeding ticket.

Postby Роберт » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:22 pm UTC

I'm glad they caught the guy. Maybe they can figure out why the heck he torched the place. Makes no sense to me.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Postby Cleverbeans » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:29 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:The most sleep deprived professions*

The author couldn't figure out why economists are losing sleep... in the worst recession in 100 years... caused by shortsighted economic policy... developed by economists...

I lose sleep just *thinking* about being an economist. :lol:
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln
Cleverbeans

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:18 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Dauric » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:23 pm UTC

Basically the nutbar in question is such a strict constitutional originalist (in addition to being a hateful racist) that the 14'th amendment to the constitution doesn't count since it was added after the constitution was ratified.
Dauric

Postby ahammel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:26 pm UTC

Maybe he's saying the 14th Amendment wasn't really ratified? Or that it doesn't count in Alaska, because Alaska never ratified it? Maybe he's just horribly stupid?
Glendower wrote:I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur wrote: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
But will they come when you do call for them?
ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby Роберт » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:28 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:

Maybe he's saying the 14th Amendment wasn't really ratified? Or that it doesn't count in Alaska, because Alaska never ratified it? Maybe he's just horribly stupid?

Maybe he's saying Alaska shouldn't be allowed to vote for Presidents?
Роберт

Postby Dauric » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:40 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
ahammel wrote:

Maybe he's saying Alaska shouldn't be allowed to vote for Presidents?

I actually attempted to parse the original complaint, as much as it shocks me that I would attempt this feat. The latter half is pretty much ye-olde birther nonsense, including an argument that the state of Hawaii doesn't count as a state since it's not part of the contiguous U.S. (which would eliminate this guy's claim to political participation as well...), but the first part attempts to separate "Civil Rights" as guaranteed by the 14'th amendment from "Political Rights" (his nonsense, not mine), and that since non-whites don't have "political rights" they cannot actually hold a public office.

It's a pretty milquetoast combination of conspiracy-theory and bald-faced racism.
Dauric

Postby JBJ » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:43 pm UTC

Don't forget sexism. In a letter to Chief Justice Roberts (PDF) he applies the same 14th Amendment logic to Sarah Palin as well, claiming she was not a lawful candidate for VP because she is a woman (page 7).
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.
JBJ

Postby Dauric » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:18 pm UTC

JBJ wrote:Don't forget sexism. In a letter to Chief Justice Roberts (PDF) he applies the same 14th Amendment logic to Sarah Palin as well, claiming she was not a lawful candidate for VP because she is a woman (page 7).

BWAHAHAHAHAHA... Ahem, sorry. The post-script of that letter is precious. That it is not the business of the "clerk of the supreme court" to "intercept" and "obstruct" letters addressed to members of the Supreme Court. Clearly clerks and secretaries are not nor have they ever been hired to open mail and filter out junk-mail for busy executives or holders of public-office.
Dauric

Postby Diadem » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:44 pm UTC

What was that bit about him not being allowed to vote under his full name? Do US IDs omit 2nd names? (Not that I think that makes his complaint legitimate. I'm just curious. Seems strange).
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister
Diadem

Postby ahammel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:50 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:[...]The latter half is pretty much ye-olde birther nonsense, including an argument that the state of Hawaii doesn't count as a state since it's not part of the contiguous U.S.[...]

Fun fact: if you say this during actual court procedings, US law permits---nay encourages---the judge to hit you with the gavel.
Glendower wrote:I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur wrote: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
But will they come when you do call for them?
ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby Xeio » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:51 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:What was that bit about him not being allowed to vote under his full name? Do US IDs omit 2nd names? (Not that I think that makes his complaint legitimate. I'm just curious. Seems strange).
Christians, or maybe just Catholics have a religious ceremony where they choose another name (confirmation? I think? wow it's been a while that I can't even remember anymore, hah). So it would essentially be 'First' 'Middle' 'Religious' 'Last'. Though I'm surprised he can't just legally change his middle name to include both or something if he wanted to...

EDIT: Or, you know, I could have just linked this before posting.
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Dauric » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:55 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
Diadem wrote:What was that bit about him not being allowed to vote under his full name? Do US IDs omit 2nd names? (Not that I think that makes his complaint legitimate. I'm just curious. Seems strange).
Christians, or maybe just Catholics have a religious ceremony where they choose another name (confirmation? I think? wow it's been a while that I can't even remember anymore, hah). So it would essentially be 'First' 'Middle' 'Religious' 'Last'. Though I'm surprised he can't just legally change his middle name to include both or something if he wanted to...

Or, you know, I could have just done this before posting.

A lot of bureaucratic forms only have space for the middle initial to save room on the xeroxed forms. If you look at the complaint he's bitching that he can't register as "Gordon Warren Epperly", but has to register as "Gordon W. Epperly" which he claims is a government invented strawperson.

... I doubt government invented, but I think he's pretty spot on that Gordon W. Epperly is a strawperson....
Dauric

Postby Xeio » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:59 pm UTC

Or it could be that. :P
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Роберт » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:01 pm UTC

Sometimes I wonder why we even give the total idiots airtime. Does it make me a bad person that I have no desire to understand where he's coming from and prefer to just think of him as an evil idiot who likes being racist and sexist because he's an evil idiot?
Роберт

Postby Dauric » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:23 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:Sometimes I wonder why we even give the total idiots airtime.

For the rest of us to learn from their horrible examples. Success is wonderful, but epic-fail is where the education is at*.

*Yes this can be taken any number of ways.

Does it make me a bad person that I have no desire to understand where he's coming from and prefer to just think of him as an evil idiot who likes being racist and sexist because he's an evil idiot?

It's probably not at "Saintly" on a sliding scale, but I think it's in the reasonable average.
Dauric

Postby Shivahn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:56 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
Does it make me a bad person that I have no desire to understand where he's coming from and prefer to just think of him as an evil idiot who likes being racist and sexist because he's an evil idiot?

It's probably not at "Saintly" on a sliding scale, but I think it's in the reasonable average.

Yeah, I'd say the answer is "no, but that also means you lack the ability to effectively fight that kind of thought."
Shivahn

Postby Роберт » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:21 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:Yeah, I'd say the answer is "no, but that also means you lack the ability to effectively fight that kind of thought."

I'm pretty sure I DO lack the ability to effectively fight that kind of thought. It boggles the mind and I can't relate at all.
Роберт

Postby jareds » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:33 pm UTC

I think his complaint was not just the middle initial, but that the state issued him a voter ID with his name in ALL CAPS, exactly like he typed it in the letter. He then interpreted the refusal to print it in mixed case as refusal to issue an ID in his real name. We have lots of crazy people.
jareds

Postby Shivahn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:55 am UTC

Роберт wrote:
Shivahn wrote:Yeah, I'd say the answer is "no, but that also means you lack the ability to effectively fight that kind of thought."

I'm pretty sure I DO lack the ability to effectively fight that kind of thought. It boggles the mind and I can't relate at all.

Fair enough! My main point was just that if something is to be effectively combated, actually trying to understand it, however unpleasant it may be, is a good idea. I don't think there's anything wrong with deciding it's not worth it.
Shivahn

PreviousNext

Return to News & Articles