Help with a thesis topic...

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Help with a thesis topic...

Postby Scotto123 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:30 am UTC

I'm trying to write a paper specifically on the treatment (negative attitudes/discrimination/ignorance) of those with Learning Disabilities. My classes focus is "Persons with Disabilties" and I am very interested in researching the topic of Learning Disabilities within the public education stream and post-secondary stream. However, I just can't nail down a thesis topic. My professor helped me with "Is Inclusive Education a Myth or Reality?", but I don't know if I want that to be a 2nd paper that is continuing my argument from this paper...

Help?
Scotto123
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:19 am UTC

Re: Help with a thesis topic...

Postby Jorpho » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:59 am UTC

Um... Are we talking about a thesis thesis here? Or just a single topic for a class paper that will make up part of your grade for a single course? Let's address that first.

My professor helped me with "Is Inclusive Education a Myth or Reality?", but I don't know if I want that to be a 2nd paper that is continuing my argument from this paper...
I hope your essay writing is clearer than that, because I have no idea what you're saying here.

So what interests you so much about Learning Disabilities?
User avatar
Jorpho
 
Posts: 5599
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Help with a thesis topic...

Postby Hofstadter'sLaw » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:21 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Um... Are we talking about a thesis thesis here? Or just a single topic for a class paper that will make up part of your grade for a single course? Let's address that first.

That would definitely help.

Since you mentioned a second paper, I'm thinking it's probably just a shortish paper (5-10 pages?). If it is just a shortish paper, I'd just make the topic you're already considering more specific by picking one type of disorder (just looking at Wikipedia, there's different disorders for reading, writing, math and nonverbal) and look into how those people are negatively treated in school.
User avatar
Hofstadter'sLaw
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:09 am UTC

Re: Help with a thesis topic...

Postby Scotto123 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:23 am UTC

Sorry for the confusion guys, at the time I was a little frantic because I didn't know what to do. It's a short paper 10-12 pages.

I was just looking for a main "argument". I have formulated multiple arguments while maintaining a focus on teaching educators and peers about learning disabilities to create a more inclusive atmosphere. Which is a very brief description of my argument. I'm currently on my 9th page.

I'm also interested in learning disabilities because my fiancee has one and has been subject to discrimination and ridicule because her disability is "invisible".

I also want to learn more about it...
Scotto123
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:19 am UTC

Re: Help with a thesis topic...

Postby Ixtellor » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:31 pm UTC

Hmmm...

Something about allowing for accomadations in the classroom while still maintaining privacy, particularly on test taking.

Lots of Spec Ed students don't utitlize legally required accomadations because they are fearful or don't want to be 'outed'.

No idea if this is useful to you.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.
User avatar
Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Re: Help with a thesis topic...

Postby Vangor » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:20 pm UTC

Scotto123 wrote:I'm also interested in learning disabilities because my fiancee has one and has been subject to discrimination and ridicule because her disability is "invisible".


Though I know you are already through much of your current paper and likely finished by the time you read this, if you are interested in this topic you might consider researching twice-exceptional students, or gifted students with disabilities. There is an assumption students with specific learning disabilities cannot be gifted and students who are gifted cannot have specific learning disabilities. Further, gifted students often have mechanisms to compensate for those disabilities, thus making them "invisible" in a sense. May not be along the same lines as you want, but is a thought.
Vangor
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:09 am UTC

Re: Help with a thesis topic...

Postby Hofstadter'sLaw » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:03 am UTC

Scotto123 wrote:Sorry for the confusion guys, at the time I was a little frantic because I didn't know what to do. It's a short paper 10-12 pages.

I was just looking for a main "argument". I have formulated multiple arguments while maintaining a focus on teaching educators and peers about learning disabilities to create a more inclusive atmosphere. Which is a very brief description of my argument. I'm currently on my 9th page.

I'm also interested in learning disabilities because my fiancee has one and has been subject to discrimination and ridicule because her disability is "invisible".

I also want to learn more about it...


I'm just now realizing how hard it is to help people with writing when you can't talk to them f2f. Apologies.

When you say "argument," I'm thinking a topic sentence(s)/thesis statement type deal to plug into your intro paragraph that will make clear what point all your evidence is going to be supporting. To me, your argument just sounds like: The education of learning disabled students is hampered by negative attitudes, discrimination and ignorance toward their disabilities. Teaching instructors and students about learning disabilities will foster a better learning environment for learning disabled students.
User avatar
Hofstadter'sLaw
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:09 am UTC

Re: Help with a thesis topic...

Postby Scotto123 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:03 pm UTC

Hofstadter'sLaw wrote:
Scotto123 wrote:Sorry for the confusion guys, at the time I was a little frantic because I didn't know what to do. It's a short paper 10-12 pages.

I was just looking for a main "argument". I have formulated multiple arguments while maintaining a focus on teaching educators and peers about learning disabilities to create a more inclusive atmosphere. Which is a very brief description of my argument. I'm currently on my 9th page.

I'm also interested in learning disabilities because my fiancee has one and has been subject to discrimination and ridicule because her disability is "invisible".

I also want to learn more about it...


I'm just now realizing how hard it is to help people with writing when you can't talk to them f2f. Apologies.

When you say "argument," I'm thinking a topic sentence(s)/thesis statement type deal to plug into your intro paragraph that will make clear what point all your evidence is going to be supporting. To me, your argument just sounds like: The education of learning disabled students is hampered by negative attitudes, discrimination and ignorance toward their disabilities. Teaching instructors and students about learning disabilities will foster a better learning environment for learning disabled students.


You pretty much summarized my paper in a nutshell lol. Yeah, thanks for the advice everyone. My professor emailed me and told me that I wrote a "great paper" so, I'll let you guys know what the end result is after my class on Thursday.

Thanks again.
Scotto123
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:19 am UTC

Re: Help with a thesis topic...

Postby Hofstadter'sLaw » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:24 am UTC

Scotto123 wrote:
Hofstadter'sLaw wrote:
Scotto123 wrote:Sorry for the confusion guys, at the time I was a little frantic because I didn't know what to do. It's a short paper 10-12 pages.

I was just looking for a main "argument". I have formulated multiple arguments while maintaining a focus on teaching educators and peers about learning disabilities to create a more inclusive atmosphere. Which is a very brief description of my argument. I'm currently on my 9th page.

I'm also interested in learning disabilities because my fiancee has one and has been subject to discrimination and ridicule because her disability is "invisible".

I also want to learn more about it...


I'm just now realizing how hard it is to help people with writing when you can't talk to them f2f. Apologies.

When you say "argument," I'm thinking a topic sentence(s)/thesis statement type deal to plug into your intro paragraph that will make clear what point all your evidence is going to be supporting. To me, your argument just sounds like: The education of learning disabled students is hampered by negative attitudes, discrimination and ignorance toward their disabilities. Teaching instructors and students about learning disabilities will foster a better learning environment for learning disabled students.


You pretty much summarized my paper in a nutshell lol. Yeah, thanks for the advice everyone. My professor emailed me and told me that I wrote a "great paper" so, I'll let you guys know what the end result is after my class on Thursday.

Thanks again.


Yeah, guess I really just didn't know what you were looking for. It's hard to understand without the writing in front of me.

Congrads on writing a "great paper" though. =]
User avatar
Hofstadter'sLaw
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:09 am UTC


Return to School

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest