"Drive" the Movie

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

"Drive" the Movie

Postby Scotto123 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:29 pm UTC

I did about 3-4 searches and couldn't find anything. Apologies if there's already a thread on this.

Just wanted to say that this movie was incredible. The acting, story, and soundtrack was great. Gosling was very serious and he made it work. I never thought that I'd say that the guy from the "Notebook" could be a badass.

I don't know how to embed and I don't think posting an official trailer is against the rules (I've read them). But here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWX34ShfcsE

The story was simple and brought me back to old Steve McQueen or Clint Eastwood in the 80s and 90s. Gosling can prove to be one of the next good Action-Drama stars IMO.

Thoughts?
Scotto123

Re: "Drive" the Movie

Postby Chen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:21 pm UTC

Quite frankly I hated it. The dialogue was SLOW so much so that it seemed forced. Sure I can get behind the main character being slow in talking (even though it seems like a pointless character trait), but everyone else seemed to go along with his pace, which really made each conversation very jarring. It got extremely graphic about 3/4 of the way through, again for little reason. I honestly felt tricked by all the high ratings it had gotten before going to see it.
Chen

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:52 pm UTC

Watching the trailer all I can think of is how similar to The Transporter it looks and how much more I like Jason Statham than Ryan Gosling.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:11 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Watching the trailer all I can think of is how similar to The Transporter it looks and how much more I like Jason Statham than Ryan Gosling.

1. It's nothing like The Transporter
2. You're crazy
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"
charliepanayi

Postby quantumcat42 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:19 pm UTC

I suppose much of this is just up to taste, but I really enjoyed it as well. The dialog was slow, sure, but it never seemed forced to me. The languid pace throughout most of the movie really accentuated the elements of violence; it made the few bits of actual action matter.
quantumcat42

Postby maybeagnostic » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:04 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Watching the trailer all I can think of is how similar to The Transporter it looks and how much more I like Jason Statham than Ryan Gosling.

I went expected something like The Transporter or Gone in 60 Seconds but it is nothing like them at all. Drive focuses a lot more on the characters and creating an atmosphere than it does on action scenes. I was very pleasantly surprised by the movie and I'd definitely recommend it.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.
maybeagnostic

Postby folkhero » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:11 am UTC

quantumcat42 wrote:I suppose much of this is just up to taste, but I really enjoyed it as well. The dialog was slow, sure, but it never seemed forced to me. The languid pace throughout most of the movie really accentuated the elements of violence; it made the few bits of actual action matter.

Agreed, it was a really minimalist action movie; all the elements were boiled down to have maximum impact. The intensity of the violence, combined with the slower scenes where violence was on the verge of breaking out really had me cringing with anticipation (in a good way). I really liked the music and the acting as well. Albert Brooks really impressed me and Bryan Cranston was as good as I expected. Really one of my favorite movies of last year, although it wasn't a great year for movies admittedly.
Chen wrote:I honestly felt tricked by all the high ratings it had gotten before going to see it.
You felt tricked because people had an honest difference of opinion? Maybe you should have read a few reviews which would have mentioned that it was slower than a typical action movie rather than just looking at the ratings.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...
folkhero

Postby Lucrece » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:58 am UTC

I want a replica of that scorpion jacket. The real one that was auctioned was out of my budget ;*(
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.
Lucrece

Postby folkhero » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:04 am UTC

Lucrece wrote:I want a replica of that scorpion jacket. The real one that was auctioned was out of my budget ;*(

boom
folkhero

Postby melloyello » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

despite it featuring my celebrity crush (ryan gosling) or my celebrity girl crush (carey mulligan), my completely un-biased opinion loved this movie. it was a nice twist on the action genre.

similarly, there's a movie called "Never Let Me Go", which i thought was a nice twist on the sci fi genre, focusing on the drama
melloyello

Postby Chen » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:32 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:
Chen wrote:I honestly felt tricked by all the high ratings it had gotten before going to see it.
You felt tricked because people had an honest difference of opinion? Maybe you should have read a few reviews which would have mentioned that it was slower than a typical action movie rather than just looking at the ratings.

I wasn't even expecting a fast action movie. I found the dialogue that people were lauding to be terrible. The pacing felt bad and even the plot was fairly basic throughout. Yet it had a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes which really made me feel there was something more to this. Its fairly rare that I'm THAT far off in how I view a movie on its overall reviews.
Chen

Postby folkhero » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

Chen wrote:I wasn't even expecting a fast action movie. I found the dialogue that people were lauding to be terrible. The pacing felt bad and even the plot was fairly basic throughout. Yet it had a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes which really made me feel there was something more to this. Its fairly rare that I'm THAT far off in how I view a movie on its overall reviews.

I still don't wee why you honestly felt tricked, that implies a certain amount of deliberate deception.
folkhero

Postby Lucrece » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:10 am UTC

folkhero wrote:
Lucrece wrote:I want a replica of that scorpion jacket. The real one that was auctioned was out of my budget ;*(

boom

Oh, lord have mercy! I shall pay tribute to you: human sacrifice, or selling family into slavery? <3
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.
Lucrece

Postby the_bandersnatch » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:12 pm UTC

I find the movie is much better if you view Gosling's character as a functional retard in the vein of Forest Gump. The movie makes much more sense that way.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni
the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.

Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby hurtlocker99 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:58 pm UTC

The movie was dark. Gosling was kinda creepy. The chase scene was awesome and the dialog was a bit slow. I think it was a good movie though. I'd give it a B.
hurtlocker99

Return to Movies and TV Shows