Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Minecraft

Postby blalobw » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:40 am UTC

The transformers look great, but nether fencing "cables" look horrible. There's just no way for me to visually turn two horizontal lines and one vertical line into power lines.

Plain old blocks would look better, even though they'd be huge.

There is no music hall in pandora, sounds like a fun thing to have!
blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:16 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:The transformers look great, but nether fencing "cables" look horrible. There's just no way for me to visually turn two horizontal lines and one vertical line into power lines.

Plain old blocks would look better, even though they'd be huge.

There is no music hall in pandora, sounds like a fun thing to have!

I think we'll have to make do with black wool until 1.2
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.
CombustibleLemons

Postby blalobw » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:05 pm UTC

Someone appears to have sabotaged the blaze spawner by putting a lava source block inside it. Being on fire is highly annoying.

EDIT: It's fixed now!
blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Josephine » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:57 pm UTC

Eight source blocks in the corners where the pressure plates can contain the flow is the best method of turning it off for maintenance. I never bothered making that system automatic, however.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.
Josephine

Postby blalobw » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:44 pm UTC

One of the flows was not contained. I'll check the pressure plates to make sure they're good.

EDIT: All pressure plates present and accounted for!
blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:03 pm UTC

So I started to work on the substation and ran into one problem. The clock itself. I don't know how to put any thing in without it being to tall above the clock and looking silly. If I rebuilt the clock sunk into the ground I think it would look nicer but I'm a bit hesitant to do so because I have little to no red stone experience. I also don't know if the clock is powering anything that needs it. Who built the clock? And would you care if I lowered it so its flush with the ground?
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.
CombustibleLemons

Postby blalobw » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:52 pm UTC

Steax/Rirez built it. I can't imagine any objections to lowering it so go ahead if you want. If it refuses to work after you put it back together I'll fix it.

The only things hooked to it at the moment are the melon farm and the cane farm.
blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:48 am UTC

I submit for your education, amazement, and amusement an undead/creeper sorter!

It uses the photophobia of the undead to direct them to one side, and a conveyer belt of stone blocks and half blocks to push randomly moving creepers to the other side.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12632309/SillyMobSorter.zip

This is provided with NO WARRANTY of fitness for any purpose expressed or implied.

Have Fun!
blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:55 am UTC

Statement about something relevant. I really have nothing. My brain is fried, but I want to contribute.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Steax » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:31 am UTC

Feel free to modify the clock. It's pretty straightforward, and the things that use the pulses aren't necessarily dependent on it. If you're not sure how, you can just leave 4 blocks tall of empty space, and the clock can fit there.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby eculc » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:44 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:I'd happily play a bemodded XKCD server occasionally, but the ST server is sacrosanct and should stay vanilla; anything else would cheapen its storied and mysterious history.

Truth be told, I'd like to get inclement weather and fire spread back. As is, if I'm showing off anything on the server to someone I have to say: "It's legit! ...except that we can use settime, lava doesn't light things on fire, weather's been turned off, and there have been a few isolated /give and creative mode moments. ...oh, and there was 1.72. Heh. Heh."

Huge skyrails, lava lakes, automated redstone machines (and even blotted-out suns over grassless wastelands) matter more and are more awesome when you know that engineers had to work with the physics that existed, and didn't just use a hack to change physics.

I agree with this. having a vanilla server is awesome, but I'd love to play with others with all sorts of great mods for people to build complicated things with. I can imagine massive automated farms for everything imaginable.

also: Tekkit is bad. it's a prepackaged minecraft.jar file with mods installed, which is illegal enough, let alone the fact that most (if not all) of the mods in the modpack were added without the mod-authors' permission.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby SoapyHobo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:40 pm UTC

eculc wrote:also: Tekkit is bad. it's a prepackaged minecraft.jar file with mods installed, which is illegal enough
Except the minecraft.jar file is downloaded from Mojang's servers using your username and password, through the installer, which isn't illegal at all.
eculc wrote:let alone the fact that most (if not all) of the mods in the modpack were added without the mod-authors' permission.
You need permission to give away for free the files they're giving away for free? Or are you complaining they aren't getting their fractions of a cent through malware infected ad sites? Pretty sure this is even less illegal than the above.

Tekkit is great, get over yourself.

blalobw wrote:I submit for your education, amazement, and amusement an undead/creeper sorter!
This was interesting, but half blocks seem to protect undead from the sun, so doesn't work in practice. E: or maybe it's just working the opposite way to the way I though it did... Do the creepers go into the water part or the open part?
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.
SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:00 pm UTC

I was under the impression that most of the mod-creators whose mods are on tekkit are in fact part of the project.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby blalobw » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:32 pm UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:
blalobw wrote:I submit for your education, amazement, and amusement an undead/creeper sorter!
This was interesting, but half blocks seem to protect undead from the sun, so doesn't work in practice. E: or maybe it's just working the opposite way to the way I though it did... Do the creepers go into the water part or the open part?

The "no warranty" part is the bit that means this thing is broken.

Anyway, creepers are supposed to be motivated to the dry area by the treadmill, and the undead are supposed to head for the shade and water. Unfortunately creepers randomly walk all over the place, including to the wrong "wet" side. Many of the rest get pushed to the wrong side by fleeing undead. I also suspect that the moving track is frequently resetting the path finding for all mobs.

Of course my first reaction to failure in this case is the same one that many of the early pioneers of perpetual motion had, specifically that It's just not big enough to work. I'll let you know how the larger version works when I test it.

The real solution will probably be to simplify the system so that pathfinding will be trivial enough to prevent mob confusion.
blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby CombustibleLemons » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:37 pm UTC

I lowered the clock. Could someone who knows more then me about red stone check and see if it works right? (if you didn't notice I'm a bit paranoid.)
CombustibleLemons

Postby Meem1029 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:52 am UTC

The clock has the official meem seal of approval. Which, considering my past few projects, means that it is quite likely broken and probably has spiders pouring out of it.

Seriously though, I went there and it was slightly broken, I poked around and broke it a little more, and then I made it work. Well, sort of. I think the timing is off as the piston going at a million miles an hour drove me crazy so I threw a repeater in at the source piston that could easily be removed by anyone who has any idea what I'm talking about. It seemed like it should be about a minute though, so I might just be crazy.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing
Meem1029

Postby blalobw » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:09 am UTC

The million mile piston may be the one I was using to replace the chickens. Chickens fight each other worse than cats and therefore needed constant replacement. The one-tick piston clock should be immune to server reloads though it's too fast to be used directly to toggle a flip-flop. Running the wire under the main repeaters generates frequent updates to prevent them from locking up.

I'll bury it deeper because yeah, it's a highly annoying sound.
blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby CombustibleLemons » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:17 am UTC

So I went back on and the millions miles piston was off. i turned it back on and it was going quite slower.
CombustibleLemons

Postby blalobw » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:29 am UTC

If there's a repeater in the circuit it will definatly be vulnerable to chunk reloads. And it'll be slower.
blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby CombustibleLemons » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:59 pm UTC

Can someone whitelist my friend? His username is jandolora.
CombustibleLemons

Postby Kain » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

I was playing some single player earlier while I couldn't connect to the internet, and decided to make a new world to work on seeing how fast I could get all the achievements (as it was offline, and no achievements were showing). I start the world, get my workbench up, make the first wood tools, turn around, and see that less than 20 blocks from me is a half exposed zombie dungeon. The chests contained about 9 pieces of iron and a music disc. Definitely would have made the music disc challenge rather simple :)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax
Kain

Postby blalobw » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:36 pm UTC

Amishdemon wrote:Can someone whitelist my friend? His username is jandolora.

Yes! jandolora is now on the whitelist.

The clock's auto reset circuit (the million MPH piston) is now buried deep enough that you shouldn't be able to hear it. Now I just need to set the main repeaters so we get a proper ~60 second output pulse.
blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby wam » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:07 pm UTC

I have finished my roller coaster if anyone want to have a go, its next to my house, out at 15697 x 7983 z, its north east of pandora, go past the sheep farm. between the tall house with a face and the platform in the sky. Then through the forest and you should arrive.

There are treats for those who ride on it!
Come join us playing mafia signup here
wam

Postby eculc » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:59 pm UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:
eculc wrote:also: Tekkit is bad. it's a prepackaged minecraft.jar file with mods installed, which is illegal enough
Except the minecraft.jar file is downloaded from Mojang's servers using your username and password, through the installer, which isn't illegal at all.
eculc wrote:let alone the fact that most (if not all) of the mods in the modpack were added without the mod-authors' permission.
You need permission to give away for free the files they're giving away for free? Or are you complaining they aren't getting their fractions of a cent through malware infected ad sites? Pretty sure this is even less illegal than the above.

Tekkit is great, get over yourself.

for the record, it's more for principle than anything else. nobody's going to get sued over it, but the mod authros' creations *are* *technically* covered under Copyright laws, as they're not open-source projects, and most authors specifically ask that their mods not be included in modpacks without their permission, which is exactly what happened.

As far as on-topic discussion, I think the next time I'm on i'll return to Antarctica. after all, I am it's original discoverer, and it sounds like there's a nice ravine waiting to be stripped down.
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:17 pm UTC

I was under the impression that there were one or two mods added without agreement from the creators that are no longer in Tekkit (if they indeed ever were, since it wasn't always called Tekkit).
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby CombustibleLemons » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:44 am UTC

I've converted another person to minecraft!
His username is MVK_III he also wants to be whitelisted.
CombustibleLemons

Postby mieulium » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:19 am UTC

Amishdemon wrote:I've converted another person to minecraft!

Are we starting a cult? Or a rich old men's country club
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"
mieulium

Postby CombustibleLemons » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:13 pm UTC

mieulium wrote:

Both?
CombustibleLemons

Postby eculc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:41 pm UTC

mieulium wrote:

yes.
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby blalobw » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

ADDED!
blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:22 am UTC

1.2 is out! And it is an absolutely awesome release. There are a bunch of new features, and I find it generally pretty sweet. Remember to backup your jar before updating of course if you have servers you want to play on.

Also, the bukkit team is joining Mojang to work on a modding API. This sounds like it should be pretty awesome for everyone as we won't need to wait for bukkit to update in order to update!
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing
Meem1029

Postby bluejello » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:11 am UTC

I have been playing another game a lot, and had not had time for minecraft for a long time... also my netbook decided to fail on me. Accidently put a headphone jack into the USB slot and then shutdown with no restarting.

ANYWAYS, if the modAPI allows for the server to specify mods to be downloaded by the client and the client does so it will be awesome, otherwise slightly less awesome.

Also, the server appears to either be offline , or if it is not what version of minecraft is it currently on?
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!
bluejello

Postby walkerm930 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:19 am UTC

I am going to post this screenshot and then proceed to yell at no one about block update bugs.
2012-03-01_23.15.23.png
AARRG
In the gospel according to trig there are 3 primary rules: sin θ = x/h , cos θ = y/h and tan θ = x/y. These rules are not open to interpretation and are to be treated as law.
walkerm930

Postby Kain » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:54 am UTC

You know what the best part about the 1.2 update is? We can have high altitude tnt fights without risking all the pre-update stuff below*

* okay, the very tops of some structures may be at risk, and I suppose if you use enough tnt you can propel some tnt all the way from the top to the surface, but in free fall it is pretty safe...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax
Kain

Postby blalobw » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:54 am UTC

bluejello wrote:I have been playing another game a lot, and had not had time for minecraft for a long time... also my netbook decided to fail on me. Accidently put a headphone jack into the USB slot and then shutdown with no restarting.

ANYWAYS, if the modAPI allows for the server to specify mods to be downloaded by the client and the client does so it will be awesome, otherwise slightly less awesome.

Also, the server appears to either be offline , or if it is not what version of minecraft is it currently on?

The server is down, and it's resisting my efforts to restart it remotely quite well.

I'll pm Talon and hopefully we'll get some percussive maintenance soon.
blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:10 am UTC

Hey, I noticed a change that wasn't in any of the change logs (that I could find): When a ravine intersects a mineshaft, there will be a wooden bridge. It's actually pretty cool.
Spoiler:
2012-03-03_22.05.51.png
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby walkerm930 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:22 am UTC

I do seem to remember it being mentioned somewhere...

Ah, here it is. It is mentioned in the chaneglog for 12w05a

The "Development Versions" seem to have their own page
In the gospel according to trig there are 3 primary rules: sin θ = x/h , cos θ = y/h and tan θ = x/y. These rules are not open to interpretation and are to be treated as law.
walkerm930

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

Does anyone have a magic wand for finding nether fortresses? Could I borrow it? I'll bring it back.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.
jestingrabbit

Postby mieulium » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:55 pm UTC

Also....Did anyone realise their mineshaft in pandora that has extra torches and bridges from the opposite direction? That would be me...

Edit: The grammar section of my brain keeps shutting down. >.< It must be running on Windows Vista
Last edited by mieulium on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"
mieulium

Postby Manial » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:40 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:Does anyone have a magic wand for finding nether fortresses? Could I borrow it? I'll bring it back.
I think Infina or Kiid has one, because we managed to stumble upon at least 5 on the way to the Antarctic portal.
Manial

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming