1022: "So It Has Come To The Claw"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: 1022: "So It Has Come To This"

Postby Various Varieties » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:39 pm UTC

The Simpsons writers' room, some time in 1992:

Matt Groening: Hey, everyone, we're doing a clip show this season.
Jay Kogen: What should we call it?
George Meyer: How about "A Simpsons Clip Show"?
Conan O'Brien: Needs something else...
John Swartzwelder: So it has come to this.
Everyone: Brilliant!

True story.
Various Varieties

Postby tally1996 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:29 pm UTC

addams wrote:Nah. They won't eat the cat.

Cats have a way of looking at me that tells me where I am on the food chain.

Below Cat.

1. I am human.
2. The stick figures represent humans.

1. I am below real cats on the food chain.
2. Stick figures are below stick figure cats on the food chain.

That seems simple enough and problem solved.
Oh! Those stick people need some stick cat food; Now!

Unless you're Chinese, in which case nearly every animal is below you on the food chain. Speaking from personal experience.

(Though I hear it isn't so much in vogue in the mother country anymore due to an increasing rat problem...)
tally1996

Start the "literally" nit thread

Postby cellocgw » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:30 pm UTC

OK, let's find a situation in which it's not correct, and then jump all over Randall's (mis-)use of "literally."

Reminiscent of Dorothy Parker:
What if there is no "this," here?
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2016. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"A man's got to know his limitations." Harry Callahan <--> "A man's got to know his limits." L'Hopital
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
cellocgw

Re: Start the "literally" nit thread

Postby ahammel » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:10 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:OK, let's find a situation in which it's not correct, and then jump all over Randall's (mis-)use of "literally."

Reminiscent of Dorothy Parker:
What if there is no "this," here?

There is always a this here.

This room, this situation, this infinite frictionless plane of uniform denisty, etc.
I also answer to 'Alex'

YES, IT'S SPACEY-WACEY!
ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby San Fran Sam » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:15 pm UTC

Ameseree wrote:I would find it more believeable if one of them had a cat and/or a handgun with a scar and/or an eyepatch on his or her face.

Me: Um, so how did the gun get a scar?

Other person: So, it has come to this.
San Fran Sam

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:31 pm UTC

And so, Randall's true talent is revealed: the ability to make certain people do whatever random shit he comes up with and feel extra cool about it.

They once said films were responsible for increased violence and depravity. They once said video games were influencing young people to commit crimes. But now we can say with absolute certainty: Randall can make his fans eat shit if he wants to.

Also, for the record: Randall misused "protip" AGAIN.
SirMustapha

Postby Retsam » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:02 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Also, for the record: Randall misused "protip" AGAIN.

Err... according to whom exactly? Who made you the final arbiter of culture again?
Retsam

Postby bmonk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:12 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I understood "In Accordance With Prophecy" to do similar things. But no, this is better: it's more accurate.

So, it has come to this.
"The position was well put indeed in a famous speech by Jzbl to the graduates of the Central Saturnian University, when he said that it was a source of great pride to him that although hardly anybody knew anything any longer, everybody now knew how to find out everything."
bmonk

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:33 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:
Jorpho wrote:I understood "In Accordance With Prophecy" to do similar things. But no, this is better: it's more accurate.

So, it has come to this.

In accordance with prophecy.
JudeMorrigan

Postby Tyrannosaur » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:40 pm UTC

MathUhhhSaurus wrote:So, is this like how "Guile's theme" goes with everything?

I currently have a copy of "Guile's Theme" on my phone to play loudly in the most random occasions. :twisted:
djessop wrote:The t-shirt should read "There are 11 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who insist the number above is pronounced as eleven no matter what base you're in".
Tyrannosaur

Postby bigjeff5 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:41 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Also, for the record: Randall misused "protip" AGAIN.

I'm not sure I follow, was the comment not snarky enough to be a protip?

Perhaps the advice was too helpful?

Or maybe you just don't understand the meme?

"Protip:" is used to convey snarky, sarcastic, and/or generally unhelpful advice to others.

It is also used to convey genuinely helpful advice in a non-sarcastic manner, but usually only by those not in on the joke.

I'm not sure which angle you are coming at this from, but it doesn't seem to be a very informed one.
bigjeff5

Postby neoliminal » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:49 pm UTC

The possible recombination is alarming.

Alice "We need to defrost the car."
Bob "So. It has come to this."
Alice "So. It has come to this."
Bob "You. Me. This moment."
Alice "You. Me. This moment."
Bob "So. It has come to this."
Alice "So. It has come to this."
Bob "You. Me. This moment."
Alice "You. Me. This moment."
Bob "F*ck... I give up, you win. Give me the car keys."
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/214255
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]
neoliminal

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:54 pm UTC

bigjeff5 wrote:I'm not sure I follow, was the comment not snarky enough to be a protip?

Since when was the caption supposed to be "snarky"? What kind of snarkiness was there meant to be in today's comic? I can visualize many "styles" of humour applied to the joke, except "snarkiness". Randall is not making fun of anything: he's just suggesting something he thinks is funny. The word could perfectly be replaced simply by "Tip", and NOTHING would be lost. Or Randall could have turned it into a "My hobby" comic, and the joke would have been exactly the same.

But Occam's Razor helps us point the fact that Randall thinks memes are acceptable replacements for actual humour, and thinks the word "protip" is "roflcopter hilarious" and is sufficient to show that he knows everything about "Internet culture". But fact is that about 3 minutes of reading Know Your Meme is sufficient to see Randall is completely wrong.
SirMustapha

Postby louisbiglou » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Since when was the caption supposed to be "snarky"? What kind of snarkiness was there meant to be in today's comic? I can visualize many "styles" of humour applied to the joke, except "snarkiness". Randall is not making fun of anything: he's just suggesting something he thinks is funny. The word could perfectly be replaced simply by "Tip", and NOTHING would be lost. Or Randall could have turned it into a "My hobby" comic, and the joke would have been exactly the same.

But Occam's Razor helps us point the fact that Randall thinks memes are acceptable replacements for actual humour, and thinks the word "protip" is "roflcopter hilarious" and is sufficient to show that he knows everything about "Internet culture". But fact is that about 3 minutes of reading Know Your Meme is sufficient to see Randall is completely wrong.

So, It has come to this...
louisbiglou

Postby Kimarie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:40 pm UTC

My husband uses "It is what it is" when he runs out of stuff to say.
Kimarie

Postby Nigh » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:15 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:And so, Randall's true talent is revealed: the ability to make certain people do whatever random shit he comes up with and feel extra cool about it.

They once said films were responsible for increased violence and depravity. They once said video games were influencing young people to commit crimes. But now we can say with absolute certainty: Randall can make his fans eat shit if he wants to.

So. It has come to this.
Nigh

Postby fcp » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:38 pm UTC

ryan wrote:I have come all the way from 1984 to say: we have run out of cat food.

I have traveled here from the year 1950 to find my intended message preempted by an upstart! Well-played, ryan.
fcp

Postby Fire Brns » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:59 pm UTC

I'm with Sir mustapha on this comic and the whole first page of responses. I don't know how but I am.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.
Fire Brns

Postby Vael » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:20 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
bigjeff5 wrote:I'm not sure I follow, was the comment not snarky enough to be a protip?

Since when was the caption supposed to be "snarky"? What kind of snarkiness was there meant to be in today's comic? I can visualize many "styles" of humour applied to the joke, except "snarkiness". Randall is not making fun of anything: he's just suggesting something he thinks is funny. The word could perfectly be replaced simply by "Tip", and NOTHING would be lost. Or Randall could have turned it into a "My hobby" comic, and the joke would have been exactly the same.

In accordance with prophecy.

Yeah, and if we use "protip" incorrectly and frequently enough, its misuse will become a new meme.
I want to meet a philosophical pirate; they think, therefore they arrrrrrr.
Vael

Postby Shidoshi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:29 pm UTC

Come it so has this? Me moment this you.
Shidoshi

Postby whateveries » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:10 am UTC

Nigh wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:And so, Randall's true talent is revealed: the ability to make certain people do whatever random shit he comes up with and feel extra cool about it.

So. It has come to this.

this.is.perfect.

lets make a game of it to see who can post it as the first response to SirMustaphas first comment in every new thread. He will love it. we all will love it.
it's fine.
whateveries

Postby Richard. » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:08 am UTC

zomg, this works so well. I can't stop saying it.
we live in a beautiful world.

Spoiler:
Richard.

Postby Bossi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:19 am UTC

I also like to append "Don't tell China." to the end of pretty much everything, even otherwise harmless, nonchalant, and innocent statements. It's replaced "in bed" when I read fortune cookies aloud.
Bossi

Postby Nigh » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:46 am UTC

whateveries wrote:
Nigh wrote:

So. It has come to this.

this.is.perfect.

lets make a game of it to see who can post it as the first response to SirMustaphas first comment in every new thread. He will love it. we all will love it.

Yes. Just yes.
Nigh

Postby jalohones » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:49 am UTC

I can't wait for the comic that reads: My hobby: Writing comics that SirMustapha hates.
jalohones

Postby lomor » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:56 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:But fact is that about 3 minutes of reading Know Your Meme is sufficient to see Randall is completely wrong.

Know Your Meme wrote:PROTIP is a term often used in forums and comments to preface snarky, obvious, counterintuitive, or sometimes genuine advice for the novice.[italics added]

Maybe his use of PROTIP was unnecessary, but it was not incorrect.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/protip
lomor

Postby Jorpho » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:38 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
Since when was the caption supposed to be "snarky"?
Was that even the question?

da Doctah wrote:Also effective in many of the same situations:
    And your point would be...?
    Excellent! My plan approaches fruition!
    That's just what they want you to think.
    Show me your nay-nays.
I actually like some of these better than "In accordance with prophecy". Well, maybe not the last one.
Jorpho

Postby webdude » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:56 am UTC

A webcomic catchphrase is one thing. If a candidate says, "so, it has come to this" at the next Republican debate, we'll know the phrase has hit the big time. I'd love to see a bunch of candidates of whatever political persuasion, all befuddled, replying interminably to each other, "so, it has come to this."

Do we get the government we collectively deserve, or merely the group of pinheads the majority of pinheads prefer?

Hmm... so it has come to this.
webdude

Postby da Doctah » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:04 am UTC

Other phrases may be more appropriate in specific contexts. For example, to let everyone join in on a few running inside jokes:

In response to any question on the John Davidson- or Tom Bergeron-hosted versions of "Hollywood Squares": "Steve Gutenberg".

In response to any question on "Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me": either "poodles" or "yodeling".

In response to any question in Trivial Pursuit for which you have no clue: "Buffy Saint-Marie".
da Doctah

Postby Jorpho » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:10 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:In response to any question in Trivial Pursuit for which you have no clue: "Buffy Saint-Marie".
Generally I've found "Gerald Ford" to be a safe bet there, even if it isn't particularly funny.
Jorpho

Postby jpk » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:30 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:

Since when was the caption supposed to be "snarky"? What kind of snarkiness was there meant to be in today's comic? I can visualize many "styles" of humour applied to the joke, except "snarkiness".

What's important is not snarkiness.

What's important is boojumnitude.
jpk

Postby colincbn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:05 am UTC

Ok, so Mustapha insults the XKCD fanbase by implying that they will go so far as to eat shit in an attempt to follow the random wanderings of Randal's humour. Simply because they repeat some of his (often very funny) jokes.

Then bitches that Randal misused a meme, thereby asserting the importance of following the random wanderings of Internet humor.

What the fuck dude. If you actually think correctly (or incorrectly) using a meme has any importance or significance in making a value judgement about another human being what kind of shit-eater does that make you?
colincbn

Postby Kisama » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:58 am UTC

Completely off-topic, but I was bored of doing data analysis for work so I did a little for "fun".

Spoilered for vertically superlative image:
Spoiler:
"Last Post" count per user, as of 2012/02/28 08:52 UTC, excluding Page 1, for "Individual XKCD Comic Threads".
edit: Also excluding counts of 1, otherwise the chart would be many times taller.
cd880b726e0a0dbd4237f10d15da46f4
Kisama

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:59 pm UTC

whateveries wrote:this.is.perfect.

Dammit. I could have sworn this was Sparta.
EpicanicusStrikes
Random Boners = True Attraction

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:42 pm UTC

colincbn wrote:Ok, so Mustapha insults the XKCD fanbase by implying that they will go so far as to eat shit in an attempt to follow the random wanderings of Randal's humour. Simply because they repeat some of his (often very funny) jokes.

Correction: I have insulted a part of Randall's fanbase, not all of it. I said certain people would eat shit if Randall said it was cool. I am absolutely sure that there was a good portion of people who enjoyed the comic but who did NOT proceed to repeat that phrase at every occasion and then laugh at their own ability of being completely unimaginative dumbfucks, OR keep making up mental images of how AWESUM it would be to repeat that phrase at every occasion and then laugh at their own ability of being completely unimaginative dumbfucks and post about it here. It's the same thing with Wikipedia Randallism: there are CERTAIN people who look for absolutely anything that appears on xkcd -- say, a wooden chair, and then go to the "Wooden chair" article on Wikipedia, click "edit" and add a reference to the xkcd comic that referenced a wooden chair. Not everyone does that, but people like that exist.

colincbn wrote:Then bitches that Randal misused a meme, thereby asserting the importance of following the random wanderings of Internet humor.

I don't think it's important to know what "Protip" is. On the contrary: I don't give it any importance at all. BUT, if you do insert "Protip" on your webcomic, it should be expected that you know what it means.

colincbn wrote:What the fuck dude. If you actually think correctly (or incorrectly) using a meme has any importance or significance in making a value judgement about another human being what kind of shit-eater does that make you?

I am making a judgement about Randall as a webcomic author, not as a "human being". And I'm not doing anything that Randall himself hasn't done: he has published a comic criticising Garfield, remember that? And he occasionally makes jokes with people he doesn't like (Carlos Mencia comes to mind).

Besides, the misuse of a meme was just a detail in this comic. What truly caught me is Randall's ability to create little fashionable acts that certain wannabe geeks feel the need to imitate. You know, on the "Kerning" comic, some people said that Randall was trolling his fanbase. And I actually think he's doing exactly that! He's manipulating his fans and laughing at the things they do on his will. That certainly makes a funny mental image.
SirMustapha

Postby Red Hal » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:50 pm UTC

Another one of my favourites is "No, that's just what they would be expecting us to do."
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."
Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Ronsonic » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:40 pm UTC

webdude wrote:A webcomic catchphrase is one thing. If a candidate says, "so, it has come to this" at the next Republican debate, we'll know the phrase has hit the big time.

White phone for Mr. Gingrich. Mr Newt Gingrich, please pick up the white phone.
Ronsonic

Postby thesingingaccountant » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:49 pm UTC

whateveries wrote:lets make a game of it to see who can post it as the first response to SirMustaphas first comment in every new thread. He will love it. we all will love it.

I'm in. See y'all tomorrow.

jalohones wrote:I can't wait for the comic that reads: My hobby: Writing comics that SirMustapha hates.

I can't remember the last time I literally laughed out loud at something I saw on the Internet. Thanks. :-) I must point out, though, that SirMustapha appears to be what the experts call a "hater." Thus, writing comics he hates isn't really any different from writing comics, period.

My personal favorite line for when I've run out of constructive responses is "So what??" Calvin (of "Calvin and Hobbes") adopted it as his rallying cry. It doesn't work so well for interrogatories, but that's where "And your point would be...?" comes in.

THAT, SirMustapha, is snarky. Sit on it.
Never trust a psychic who has to reschedule.
thesingingaccountant

Postby addams » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:13 pm UTC

addams wrote:Nah. They won't eat the cat.

Cats have a way of looking at me that tells me where I am on the food chain.

Below Cat.

1. I am human.
2. The stick figures represent humans.

1. I am below real cats on the food chain.
2. Stick figures are below stick figure cats on the food chain.

That seems simple enough and problem solved.
Oh! Those stick people need some stick cat food; Now!

You assume the cat's look is not just a defence mechanism designed to make you think that you are below it on a food chain, much like some non-dangerous animals have evolved to look dangerous.

You also assume that all humans are at the same point on the food chain.

Right. Well; No. Wrong.
We are all on the food chain that has bacteria, fungi and worms eat us.

Cats that are little are not smart enough to know that people are not on their menu.
Cats that are big DO eat people.
In Asia, in Africa and in California these cats hunt and kill people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar

The house cat that looks deeply into your eyes may be doing the Math.
This thing produces food and is nice to cuddle with=Do not kill it, yet.

I know cats really do have affection for us. I know that cats really do like some of us better than others.
I, also, know the cat is a bloodthirsty killer. They will kill before they know what they have done.

Sometimes they will bring a kill home as a gift. "Nice Kitty. Sure glad I outweigh you."
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.
addams

Postby San Fran Sam » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:02 pm UTC

A phrase that i have found useful in almost any situation is "I'm sorry, but you obviously have me confused with someone you think gives a damn."

If you want to be more aggressive you can substitute s**t or f**k for "damn".
San Fran Sam

PreviousNext

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads