Terraria

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Terraria

Postby Windowlicker » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:32 pm UTC

Yeah, I made a straight line from my base to the dungeon before starting this whole 'remove the top layer' thing. The desert in the first picture used to be up by the mountain in the middle of it.. and there's a tunnel going through the rest of it.

Trying to decide whether or not to turn a world onto hardmode.. I probably should, since I think I've got just about everything from before it. Though I think first I need to figure out why I enjoy the game, then I'll know if I should or not...
Windowlicker

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:41 pm UTC

philsov wrote:I flatten all the time. I can't stand hopping all over the place. Especially in Terreria. I did some multiplayer and all the other guys would make these single-increment steps every block; drove me insane. I flatten the overworld terrain into more manageable runways and when I'm spelunking and make a staircase it's usually in like 5-high (well, more once I get accessories) and deep steps.

I never even did that. Wooden Platforms. You can jump through them, and fall through them by holding down, so I always made 5-6 spaced platforms down a two block wide shaft. And then later remove them, once I get the Horseshoe, only leaving ones at interesting floors (like the subway I often make at either 0 or -20-30)

Wheeeeee Hellevators!
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Yakk » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:46 pm UTC

Make a 3 wide shaft, and put your platforms on the right. This gives you the ability to both climb and fall (if you want to).

Pre-horseshoe, I put platforms on the left every (do not get damage from falling) distance, which makes going down more pleasant.

Of course, it slows down initial shaft construction.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Reassuring Curve » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:47 pm UTC

I don't even use platforms - I just rush the grappling hook and grab a wall at the last moment. Cobwebs also an option, or maybe water, but you need a bucket then. All of this is a lot more manly than your silly prancing about "platforms" and "going back up".

I do have to use platforms to find the sky islands. But once they are found, a 1 wide vertical wall is all it takes to spiderman my way up there.
Reassuring Curve

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:32 am UTC

well, sure.. but if you start a new character, you've got copper gear, maybe Iron.. probably no hooks yet to make a grapple.

You need platforms to get in and out.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Nath » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:42 am UTC

So, looks like they're halting development of new content:
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/m ... ans.81455/
Nath

Postby Chen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:29 pm UTC

So I just turned on hard mode and started to explore a bit. The monsters really are a TON stronger. And I got my ass kicked when I went looking for sky islands and got killed by a Wyvern with 4000 hit points.

Is there an easy way to try and find Adamantine? I've gotten all the Mythril and Cobalt I need but the adamantine is a bitch to find. And I need a TON more before I can make the armor and weapons. I already have the drill made, but nothing else. I was considering making a farm for the plants to make Spelunker potions but I'm wondering if that'll really help much.
Chen

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:15 pm UTC

Nath wrote:So, looks like they're halting development of new content:

Hopefully the modder community will take over... But... as an aside...
Starbound looks AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Shivahn » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:49 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Nath wrote:So, looks like they're halting development of new content:

Hopefully the modder community will take over... But... as an aside...
Starbound looks AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING.

I love space and I love games in space and I love most of the stuff in Terraria.

In short, I want them to hurry up so I can give them my money.
Shivahn

Postby Nath » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:30 am UTC

Chen wrote:So I just turned on hard mode and started to explore a bit. The monsters really are a TON stronger. And I got my ass kicked when I went looking for sky islands and got killed by a Wyvern with 4000 hit points.

Is there an easy way to try and find Adamantine? I've gotten all the Mythril and Cobalt I need but the adamantine is a bitch to find. And I need a TON more before I can make the armor and weapons. I already have the drill made, but nothing else. I was considering making a farm for the plants to make Spelunker potions but I'm wondering if that'll really help much.

I got my adamantine by running around just above hell, with some spelunker potions. I don't know if making a farm is worth it; blinkroot is everywhere, and the underground jungle is pretty straightforward with mythril gear. You should be able to get all the moonglow you need without too much work.
Nath

Postby WarDaft » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:51 am UTC

Make sure you smash as many demon altars as you can. Repeating the cycle adds more ore.

Got a full adamantine suit, now I'm having trouble bothering to search out the nigh-trivial ingredients for the super-boss summoning bits.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.
WarDaft

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:32 am UTC

If anyone's interested in doing this thing online.. right now on a hardmode world, [redacted]. No password.

I'll be on here for an hour or two at least. No guarantees about connection speed as... frankly, I don't know what'll happen. I'm fairly certain my router is configured correctly.

I'll do it again, eventually.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Psycojosh » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:20 pm UTC

I like this game more than mincraft specifically because of the focus on gameplay. I haven't really seen to many people show off the stuff they created in this game. If you like minecraft for the create aspect, you may not like this, but if you like the combat, this game is waaaayyyy better.
Psycojosh

Postby Adam H » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:52 pm UTC

Arg! Can't kill hard mode bosses! (Other than Wyvern, who is pretty easy once you get the hang of timing your jumps.)

Full Adamantine Suit, Phasesaber blade (and adamantine blade; phasesaber seems better but it's hard to tell), reforged equipment to give defense (I think I have total 60 defense). I use ironskin, health regen, whatever other potions I have... And I still can't kill Destroyer, who seems to be the easiest. I looked on youtube and other people do it so easily, but it seems like the probes are a lot harder for me. They swoop at me more and my sword doesn't seem to push them back if I'm attacking the body of the destroyer. I'm not sure if it's my slightly different arena or a newer version of the game.

Need to do it multiplayer, I guess. Once I kill a boss it seems like the game will get a lot easier. I just need a few of those souls of might!
-Adam
Adam H

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:31 pm UTC

Got a Dao of Power? That helps with the destroyer.

Otherwise... You can always cheat.

Cross + cobalt shield + runway of meterorite/hell stone, and a three heart statue on a timer in the middle. The stone damages you, the cross extends the invulnerability, and the shield stops the knock back. The statues are for healing, naturally.

At any given moment, it's more likely the stone will hit you, not the boss. Still, it takes a bit to get used to NOT jumping....

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Adam H » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:30 pm UTC

Ha that's awesome. I would never have thought of that.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:04 pm UTC

Even if you don't want to use the supercheat runway of pain method, I still recommend hooking up three heart statues to a switch and a timer of some sort to pump out hearts during your fight. Three hearts every... what is it, 10 seconds or something? isn't bad at all.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby KrazyerKate » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:51 pm UTC

I've got a server running, and I want some folks to play with that are at least relatively pleasant. Most of the forumgoers here live up to that standard, so I was hoping to see if we had anybody that still plays terraria. I've got a couple folks coming from one of my gaming channels, and a few kids (10-14yrs old) from the official Terraria board, so you'll usually have people to play with when you connect, and I'm usually at least keeping an eye on the chat if you have question in there. Can I post the IP here or does that break rules about using the boards to advertise?

EDIT: 99.3.174.67
once you're on, you need to type "/register password" then "/login password" before you'll be allowed to build anything.
Last edited by KrazyerKate on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:46 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
KrazyerKate

Postby Adam H » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:28 pm UTC

I'd like to play. I've never played multiplayer before... So yes go ahead and post the IP or PM me, if you want.

I am SO pleasant, too. It's like the adjective that best describes me. :)
-Adam
Adam H

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:05 am UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:I've got a server running, and I want some folks to play with that are at least relatively pleasant. Most of the forumgoers here live up to that standard, so I was hoping to see if we had anybody that still plays terraria. I've got a couple folks coming from one of my gaming channels, and a few kids (10-14yrs old) from the official Terraria board, so you'll usually have people to play with when you connect, and I'm usually at least keeping an eye on the chat if you have question in there. Can I post the IP here or does that break rules about using the boards to advertise?

Pfft. You've been around more than long enough. Post that IP. And I promise I won't make a giant golden penis.

It'll be silver.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby KrazyerKate » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:12 am UTC

posted.

Secondtalon, you just recieved dibs on building the first and only penis-monument allowed on the server. Make it count.
KrazyerKate

Postby fyrenwater » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:28 am UTC

Anyone still watching this thread? I was wondering if there were any nice servers that were still alive. Supposedly PC updates are on the way and I wanted to find a hardmode world and people to party with to take on Skeletron.
...It made more sense in my head.
fyrenwater

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

Probably time to necro this thread...

Terraria updated on Tuesday with version 1.2

Brief highlights you'll notice in the first hour or so of play:

1) you can walk/run up steps up to 1 block high
2) diagonal and horizontal half-blocks (still give a full block's worth of material when mined)
3) waterfalls - a tile of water next to a horizontal halfblock creates a (entirely cosmetic) waterfall
4) torches can now attach to back-wall not just solid blocks
5) alternate models for demon eyes and zombies
6) onscreen minimap (showing all tiles at the brightest you've seen them)
7) an extra row of inventory space
8) better blending between blocks

Things you may not encounter immediately:

a) new ores from the start (my start point was on top of some lead ore)
b) ropes - new items that can be placed to give you something to climb (apparently someone did a rope-trick and climbed into space with just some rope and a pickaxe)
c) new crafting menu that lists all items you can currently craft in a compact display (selecting one scrolls the old crafting list to that item so you can make it)
d) different tree types give different types of wood with different stats
rmsgrey

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

Blocks can stack up to 999 instead of just 250 as was earlier. So.. Yay there.

Obsidian and Dungeon bricks look completely different.

Multiple kinds of furniture. Forges look different.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

oh my god the "walk on tiles with 1 elevation diff" change is so damn NICE

Not sure how this interacts with jumphook sprinting though.
Menacing Spike

Postby Snark » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

I have it on Xbox. Any clue if the update is coming to Xbox anytime soon?
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Snark

Postby Koa » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:11 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:oh my god the "walk on tiles with 1 elevation diff" change is so damn NICE

Not sure how this interacts with jumphook sprinting though.

It works fine.

The constant jumping and deceleration was the primary reason I decided I couldn't get interested in the game. Basic movement was too frustrating.

I've been playing a lot of terraria these past few days.
Koa

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

Snark wrote:I have it on Xbox. Any clue if the update is coming to Xbox anytime soon?

It likely never will.

The console port was done by a completely different company. Which is why the console versions have items that the computer version does not. With 1.2, it now seems that the computer version can now make the same claim.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Yakk » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

Plus, when you update an XBox game, you have to give a pile of money to Microsoft.

When you update a PC game... well, you have to give money to your software developers to write the update, and pay for bandwidth. But that tends to be much cheaper than the console tax.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby EmptySet » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:27 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:a) new ores from the start (my start point was on top of some lead ore)

So it turns out they're not "new" so much as "cosmetically different". Copper = Tin, Lead = Iron, Tungsten = Silver, and Platinum = Gold. If you've got one in a world you'll never get the other. There are a few recipes which only work with one variant (Silver Bullets, I believe?) but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Spoiler:
The Crimson / Corruption work in a similar manner, though there are more gameplay differences between them.
EmptySet

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:41 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:Platinum = Gold. If you've got one in a world you'll never get the other.

??? I've mined both of these in the same world. In fact, I just mined a platinum vein with a gold pickaxe.

I've also found copper in a post-patch world.
I now occasionally update my rarely-updated blog.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
You, sir, name?

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
EmptySet wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:Platinum = Gold. If you've got one in a world you'll never get the other.

??? I've mined both of these in the same world. In fact, I just mined a platinum vein with a gold pickaxe.

A) That was EmptySet that said that in response to something I said, rather than me saying it myself

B) I've seen assertions on the Terraria Wiki that the new basic ores are replacements for the originals (that is, that your world will either have tin or copper, but not both, and independently have either lead or iron, but not both, and so on) but I've not found a source for that, and haven't confirmed it myself either (I've not explored far enough to say there's no iron, and I don't think anyone's released an updated mapping tool yet). It's quite possible that Redigit or someone else on the dev team has posted saying that the new ores are each exclusive with their counterpart. It's also possible that any such post was a while back and things got changed since, or that the person posting it misunderstood a per-patch replacement as a per-world replacement or some such, or it could vary with world-size, or...

I'm sure it'll become clear eventually...
rmsgrey

Postby Koa » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

I've explored a good 5-10% of my large world across maybe 40 hours and haven't seen both ores of the same type. It has all the new ores except for platinum. It would be possible to mine platinum with a gold pickaxe if you got the gold/pickaxe from another world.
Koa

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

Koa wrote:I've explored a good 5-10% of my large world across maybe 40 hours and haven't seen both ores of the same type. It has all the new ores except for platinum. It would be possible to mine platinum with a gold pickaxe if you got the gold/pickaxe from another world.

Or if you found foreign bars in a chest...
rmsgrey

Postby EmptySet » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:10 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
EmptySet wrote:Platinum = Gold. If you've got one in a world you'll never get the other.

You can still generate worlds with the original ores, each world will just have one or the other. My world has copper, iron, tungsten and gold ore, and I've never seen tin, lead, silver or platinum ore. I have enough gold for an entire set of armour so I'm pretty sure I'd have found at least one platinum ore if it actually existed in my world.
EmptySet

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:18 am UTC

Indeed. I made a large world and a small world - large world has classic ores, small new, but when I went hardcore the summoned ores were a mix of old and new.

I think. Maybe not? Hard for me to say. My small world has the new corruption (The Crimson) and that was fun. Brain of Cthulhu is a fun, if easy boss.

Queen bees are also fun.

I just need to figure out what else is new. I crafted a ton of new tools, so I need to look at my load out again and see what accessories to take.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

Started a new (large) world with a friend for 1.2. I don't know why, but when we explored the Dungeon I became obsessed with getting every piece of strange furniture. It took me over an hour to explore the whole thing, and I had to leave several chests behind, all of them full of "green dungeon workbench x 6" and similar such nonsense.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."
Spambot5546

Postby firesoul31 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:48 am UTC

I sort of marathoned this game over the weekend - as it turns out, all of the top-end armors are hideously strong, as well as the weapons.

For melee users,
Spoiler:
the Turtle armor gives a total of 71! defense, and some melee buffs. The set bonus is like thorns, but it reflects 100% of the pre-mitigated damage. Terra Blade, the strongest sword, spams magic projectiles, and does 80 damage. The Possessed Hatchet, from the Golem, does 90 damage at a very fast speed, homes, and is a boomerang. Vampire Knives are a ranged "melee" weapon that shoot 4-8 projectiles rapidly and heal you 10% of damage dealt.

For mages,
Spoiler:
the Spectre armor is very much like Hallowed, but you heal for 10% of the magic damage you deal. It's also the easiest to get of all the top-end armors. Notable weapons include Magnet Sphere, which launches a slow-moving orb that spams (extraordinarily damaging) lasers all around it, the Shadowbeam Staff, a piercing ray that bounces off walls and hits harder than the Rainbow Rod, and the Heat Ray, which is the Shadowbeam Staff except it doesn't use mana and doesn't bounce.

For rangers,
Spoiler:
the Shroomite Armor, which I don't personally have, stealths you and gives you a large damage boost when standing still. The Sniper Rifle fires very slowly, but lets you zoom out and deals 120 base damage. The Tactical Shotgun is an automatic shotgun that shoots 6 bullets for the price of one. The Piranha Gun has low damage, but latches on and continues damage as long as you hold it down. Don't forget high-damage, homing Chlorophyte bullets, or explosive bullets for some fun.

I mean, with these armors, my friend and I can individually solo any boss - I can kill the Destroyer without moving, for God's sake.
Pronouns: any
firesoul31

Postby Spambot5546 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

A sniper rifle that zooms out. Interesting...
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."
Spambot5546

Postby firesoul31 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:29 am UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:A sniper rifle that zooms out. Interesting...

Yeah, and if you can't find one of those there's a slightly more common accessory that does the same for any bullet-based weapon. (It doesn't stack with the sniper, sadly).
Pronouns: any
firesoul31

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming