Incoming connections on multiple network devices

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

Incoming connections on multiple network devices

Postby scarecrovv » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:17 pm UTC

I had a nice long explanation typed out, but it got lost due to some stuff :evil:, so here's the short version:

I've got a laptop running Fedora 16, and NetworkManager. It has a wired connection and a wireless connection. ifconfig reports a different ip address for each, as I would expect. When the wired connection is not plugged in, I can ping the laptop on the wireless ip. When the wired connection is plugged in, I can ping the laptop on the wired ip. However, when the wired connection is plugged in, I can't ping the laptop on the wireless ip. WTF?

I can provide more details as needed. Thanks for the help!

Edit: hmmm. After some more research, it seems that this is the intended behavior, and having multiple connections at once can have some nasty side effects in certain circumstances. I guess I'll just work around it. Oh well.
scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Re: Incoming connections on multiple network devices

Postby phlip » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:40 am UTC

Are both connections on the same network? Both IPs in the same subnet? Because that tends to cause chaos. Try to avoid it if possible.

Also, some machines will disconnect from the wireless when you plug in a wired connection... assuming that you intend one to replace the other (akin to turning off the speakers when you plug in headphones). It doesn't sound like that's what's happening here, though.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?
phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Return to The Help Desk