(F)leeting (A)nd (R)andom (T)houghts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby OBrien » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:23 pm UTC

I am a European what is this?
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.
OBrien

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:32 pm UTC

Europe, I would assume.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:50 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:I am a European what is this?

Like 12 or something.

*edit* hah, I was basically right. 50 is 10, 60 is 15.5.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby ArgonV » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:01 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:I am a European what is this?

Fahrenheit to Celsius: -32, * 5/9
ArgonV

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:18 pm UTC

38°F = 3.3°C
55°F = 12.8°C
78°F = 25.6°C

I should have known that the one time I didn't post Celsius equivalents, I'd get comments essentially asking for Celsius equivalents.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby OBrien » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:45 pm UTC

To be fair on you I didn't care too much. I was just being elitist about French measurements.
OBrien

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:To be fair on you I didn't care too much. I was just being elitist about French measurements.

You mean Freedom Measurements?
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:38 pm UTC

Freedom Kisses sound awesome.

We called them french fries "fried earth apples" in France, by the way.
Menacing Spike

Postby emceng » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

Ok, really getting pissed at my wireless router. Or maybe internet stuff in general. Had issues with my wireless, range had dropped to maybe 10 feet. Tried all sorts of stuff, finally replaced the router. Woohoo! Internets! Worked great for a week or two. Now it doesn't. Or more specifically, I can't stay connected to Xbox Live for more than about 2 minutes. WTF?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis
emceng

Postby OBrien » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:46 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:We called them french fries "fried earth apples" in France, by the way.

I prefer the jumping ones, myself.
OBrien

Postby RollingHead » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:26 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:
RollingHead wrote:
roband wrote:Lots of awkwardness today. I like the word awkward. Something about the letters 'wkw' in that order in the middle of the word.

I hate how the italian language doesn't have a good translation for "awkward".

I looked it up and it said scomodo. Please tell this italian student why that isn't good enough.

It translates to "unconfortable", which still works but in my opinion doesn't quite convey the appropriate awkwardness.
RollingHead

Postby Felstaff » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:29 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Ok, really getting pissed at my wireless router. Or maybe internet stuff in general. Had issues with my wireless, range had dropped to maybe 10 feet. Tried all sorts of stuff, finally replaced the router. Woohoo! Internets! Worked great for a week or two. Now it doesn't. Or more specifically, I can't stay connected to Xbox Live for more than about 2 minutes. WTF?

Interference? (from neighbour's wireless, electronic equipment placed too close to the router, etc.) Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router? Also, shouldn't this be in the rant thread?
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby OBrien » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:16 pm UTC

It Should Be Real wrote:BAM! Simple, tasty, cheap baking blog created. Ideas for recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Just made the cookies. Om nom nom!

P1203071916265.jpg
So tasty...

Next time I'll be experimenting with cinnamon too. As for other ideas, how about muffins? (Both English and American would be appreciated greatly)
Last edited by OBrien on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OBrien

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:18 pm UTC

I have a good recipe from Nigella for pork steaks or medallions.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby emceng » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
emceng wrote:Ok, really getting pissed at my wireless router. Or maybe internet stuff in general. Had issues with my wireless, range had dropped to maybe 10 feet. Tried all sorts of stuff, finally replaced the router. Woohoo! Internets! Worked great for a week or two. Now it doesn't. Or more specifically, I can't stay connected to Xbox Live for more than about 2 minutes. WTF?

Interference? (from neighbour's wireless, electronic equipment placed too close to the router, etc.) Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router? Also, shouldn't this be in the rant thread?

Tried changing the channel on the original router at least 5 times, and it didn't help. Plus both old and new routers have the auto-channel select, where they're supposed to pick the least congested. But I would think if it's really that bad, I would get connection/discon/conn/discon. Instead, I turn on my 360, connect to XBL for a minute or two, then it drops forever.

Yeah, should be in the rant thread.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis
emceng

Postby Whelan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:
It Should Be Real wrote:BAM! Simple, tasty, cheap baking blog created. Ideas for recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Just made the cookies. Om nom nom!

Next time I'll be experimenting with cinnamon too. As for other ideas, how about muffins? (Both English and American would be appreciated greatly)

I decided to use up the contents of my cupboard and join in. Flatmate demanded we make a single mega-cookie, and I demanded we eat half while it's still dough. I'll bring pictures when it's out of the oven.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.
Whelan

Postby Van » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:18 am UTC

That was absolutely horrifying.

I'm moving, and after transferring the contents of my fridge, I decided to turn it off for a day before I wiped it down. I ended up busy, and "a day" turned into about two and a half, and apparently leaving the door closed was a really really bad idea. I'm guessing condensation/meltyice from the freezer (it's very old) dripped down to the bottom, pooled, and turned into soul destroying sludge. Worst smell I have ever experienced. Worse than rotten milk in the sun.

And it is lingering. Ughhhhhhhhhh.
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)
Van

Postby Kithplana » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:26 am UTC

I had the opposite problem. We had been evacuated from the house for a week due to a forest fire. Power was out and all that. Came home dreading the thought of cleaning out the freezer. Noticed some suspicious black dried something puddled below the freezer. Held our noses, cautiously opened the freezer, and... nothing. The black stuff was juice from previously frozen berries, and surprisingly nothing else had gone off enough to smell. It was... a relief.
Kithplana

Postby Isaac Hill » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:41 am UTC

I've had a similar stinky fridge problem a few years ago. I was going on travel for a couple weeks and decided to shut off my fridge to save money, since I figured the food would be expired by the time I got back anyway. I over slept a bit and didn't have time to empty the fridge first, so the food sat there warm until I got back. The smell was awful, but I found two things that helped. First, a thorough cleaning with a sponge and Formula 409 or some such.

Second, Arm and Hammer baking soda. Instead of just leaving the box open in the fridge like the instructions said, I sprinkled the box over all the shelves in the fridge and freezer, thinking the increased surface area of exposed powder would make it work faster. I had a mess of powder to clean up after I while (I forget how long), but it seemed to help. You might want to try leaving a box open as intended first, though.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Isaac Hill

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:32 am UTC

I love it when my snake thinks it can bury itself in my hair. I certainly understand its confusion, as my hair certainly looks like an occluding mass.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:43 am UTC

Among all the videos that are merely compilations of 10-second animated clips... what started the trend of having a brief static transition between scenes? Was it the Lazer Collection, or something before that?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby Black Dynamite » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:03 am UTC

I don't know what my grandmother does, but she has mastered the art of making the fridge smell awful.

Also, the static thing between clips. Like on Robot Chicken? That's what used to happen on old old television sets when changing between channels, I think. That's where it came from; I didn't know it was a trend.
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!
(She, her, hers)
Black Dynamite

Postby poxic » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:08 am UTC

Black Dynamite wrote:Also, the static thing between clips. Like on Robot Chicken? That's what used to happen on old old television sets when changing between channels, I think.

Yep. Back when you had to walk to the TV and turn the dial (it went *clunk* each time) to one of the 13 options, you got some screen buzz in between each one. I think you were physically changing the internal setting for which frequency to tune into, so when half-way between stations you got white noise.

(UHF was awesome! Just turn the dial to the "U" or "UHF" setting, and then there was a whole second dial you could use, with like 15 settings or something! Whee, more TV!)

(Note: this was only 35 years ago or so. Wait... oh god, that does sound like a long time, doesn't it? *is old*)
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

Well historically speaking, we Jews do tend to be great at Christmas. Just ask Irving Berlin. Or Jesus.
- a random xkcd forumite
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:13 am UTC

poxic wrote:
Black Dynamite wrote:Also, the static thing between clips. Like on Robot Chicken? That's what used to happen on old old television sets when changing between channels, I think.

Yep. Back when you had to walk to the TV and turn the dial (it went *clunk* each time) to one of the 13 options, you got some screen buzz in between each one. I think you were physically changing the internal setting for which frequency to tune into, so when half-way between stations you got white noise.

(UHF was awesome! Just turn the dial to the "U" or "UHF" setting, and then there was a whole second dial you could use, with like 15 settings or something! Whee, more TV!)

(Note: this was only 35 years ago or so. Wait... oh god, that does sound like a long time, doesn't it? *is old*)

For some of us it was only about 12 years ago.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby poxic » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:15 am UTC

Right. I forget that everywhere isn't the same as here, sometimes.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

Well historically speaking, we Jews do tend to be great at Christmas. Just ask Irving Berlin. Or Jesus.
- a random xkcd forumite
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:23 am UTC

Right, but it's in everything now. Lazer Collection, asdfmovie, Action Bunnies, Ponies: The Anthology. It's like a go-to transition that's getting kind of old IMO.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby Weeks » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:43 am UTC

I had one of those TVs till about 4 years ago when it finally croaked. It was huge and looked like a desk, with fake drawers and everything. Good times.
Magnanimous wrote:If it begs you to switch browsers, would it be Internet Implorer?
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby farnsworth » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:03 am UTC

I have one, too. It still works even though I've spilled water into it (by accident, of course) on three separate occasions.
farnsworth

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:40 am UTC

we still use that tv. the newer tv died, it had 52 channels on the second dial!
Cheese: cait, we'd build a castle just for you if we had the resources and manpower.
pollywog: cait is probably the only person on the planet that's cooler than me.
Cheese: See, caitie knows what she's doing. Listen to her. She is Pretty Fucking AwesomeTM.
suffer-cait
Proud Member of a very bad, elitist version of a Monday morning Starbucks crowd

Postby Angua » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:00 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:I love it when my snake thinks it can bury itself in my hair. I certainly understand its confusion, as my hair certainly looks like an occluding mass.
My snake used to love hair too.
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby semicharmed » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:56 am UTC

Van wrote:That was absolutely horrifying.

I'm moving, and after transferring the contents of my fridge, I decided to turn it off for a day before I wiped it down. I ended up busy, and "a day" turned into about two and a half, and apparently leaving the door closed was a really really bad idea. I'm guessing condensation/meltyice from the freezer (it's very old) dripped down to the bottom, pooled, and turned into soul destroying sludge. Worst smell I have ever experienced. Worse than rotten milk in the sun.

And it is lingering. Ughhhhhhhhhh.

10% solution of bleach, wipe down the fridge and then leave the door open for a day or two, if you can. That should take care of it; I know a lot of people who used that trick post-Katrina because they couldn't afford to by a new fridge. And a full fridge makes an incredible amount of soul-destroying sludge...

... although one of my friends swears that occasionally, she'll get a whiff. 7 years later.
semicharmed

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:03 am UTC

Weeks wrote:I had one of those TVs till about 4 years ago when it finally croaked. It was huge and looked like a desk, with fake drawers and everything. Good times.

I had one of those, too! My family had it from the mid-80s up until about 2002 or so.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:21 pm UTC

So I have 7 weeks until I graduate. At the age of 20, I will never have to step into an educational institution again.

Except that I work here, so I still have my job until I find another one.

And I'm graduating college, not high school, in case anyone was wondering.
UniqueScreenname

Postby Angua » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:22 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:So I have 7 weeks until I graduate. At the age of 20, I will never have to step into an educational institution again.

Except that I work here, so I still have my job until I find another one.

And I'm graduating college, not high school, in case anyone was wondering.

My brother is doing the same thing this year.

Except he's going on to do a Phd, and will probably never exit academia.
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:27 pm UTC

Yeah, as much of a nerd as I am, I don't have enough patience to deal with annoying professors and required classes designed to steal my money and "enrich my life", so I'm done with school.
UniqueScreenname

Postby emceng » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:08 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
Felstaff wrote:

Tried changing the channel on the original router at least 5 times, and it didn't help. Plus both old and new routers have the auto-channel select, where they're supposed to pick the least congested. But I would think if it's really that bad, I would get connection/discon/conn/discon. Instead, I turn on my 360, connect to XBL for a minute or two, then it drops forever.

Yeah, should be in the rant thread.

And last night, as if by magic, I had a connection for two hours straight.
emceng

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:58 pm UTC

Headache...
UniqueScreenname

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

Kithplana wrote:I had the opposite problem. We had been evacuated from the house for a week due to a forest fire. Power was out and all that. Came home dreading the thought of cleaning out the freezer. Noticed some suspicious black dried something puddled below the freezer. Held our noses, cautiously opened the freezer, and... nothing. The black stuff was juice from previously frozen berries, and surprisingly nothing else had gone off enough to smell. It was... a relief.

One of my old jobs was removing the freezers after the McClure Firestorm. Power had been off for weeks, and up there EVERYONE had at least one gigantic freezer full of meat, often deer or moose. In blazing August temperatures, with no power, it was deemed unsafe for those freezers to be removed by the occupants, SO... $11 an hour to do it for them. Some of the freezers weighed over four hundred pounds EMPTY, and most had several hundred pounds worth of meat. Everytime you'd put one down, no matter how hard you taped that sucker up, it would expel a little gas, and since we were carrying the freezers, our faces were at door-level.

Also, I would like to wish an eternity in hell for the people who put their freezers outside, on a second-floor balcony that can only be reached via a narrow, rickety, direction-changing staircase. Carrying half of that freezer means, at some point, better than six hundred pounds of weight is going to be resting on ONE foot, on ONE stair. When the stairway collapsed we managed to aim the freezer sideways, so it destroyed the railing and not me... but then the freezer hit the concrete pad, upended, ripped all the duct tape, and spilled onto the grass. Three hundred pounds of liquid deer. Good times.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:33 pm UTC

Killed by liquid dear. Odd headline.
UniqueScreenname

Postby Zarq » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:34 pm UTC

Was there a reason you didn't take the stuff out of the freezers first?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit
Zarq

PreviousNext

Return to General