The Tetris Thread.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: The Tetris Thread.

Postby ohnoesmilk » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:42 am UTC

Does anyone know how to get Tetris Worlds into some unlimited level mode? Or if it's possible?

And are there any other gba tetris games?
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?
ohnoesmilk

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:51 pm UTC

Tetris Worlds is useless. Even the multiplayer game has levels. The winner is the first one to get to the next level and there is no way to change it.
As for other GBA Tetris games, there is a wiki list of GBA games, just highlight "tetris".
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you
headprogrammingczar

Postby MoD » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:48 pm UTC

What are people's Bastet highscores? I've recently gotten 771 (8 lines/53 pieces on level 7).

EDIT: I have relatively recently scored 995 (10 lines/55 pieces on level 9). It was amazing.
Last edited by MoD on Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
MoD

Postby Jorpho » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:40 am UTC

I finally got around to trying Tetris DS today... and promptly made it through 200 lines on Marathon Mode on my first try. :lol:

Infinite spin really does nerf things. But then, at the speeds involved, a little nerfing is perhaps in order.
Jorpho

Postby InstinctSage » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

Just on previous discussions: I prefer hard drop and while I'm used to not having spin/move after impact, I think there's an argument that it's somewhat necessary when paired with hard drop, to prevent annoying "wait for the piece to drop so you can tuck it in" moments on the lower levels.

I need to give bastet a try.

The best non tetris tetris game I've ever played was Money Idol Exchanger. I just read that the company that made it got sued into oblivion because it's too much like Magical Drop. That sucks, because Exchanger is so much more cerebral... It not only calls to my organisational tendencies by rewarding neat stacks of like items, but you can get quick fire combos just by rearranging the stacks while one combo is in effect. Has anyone else played this one?
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.
InstinctSage

Postby Samik » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

So I'm a huge devotee of the original gameboy version of Tetris. Wondering if any other forumites have spent some time on this version.

My finger speed has always been sorely lacking, which means I have great trouble netting anything more than singles beyond level 18 (my all-time high line count is just 222) with any consistency. As such, maxing out is the score is probably forever out of reach.

Personal bests:
High score: 516,865
Line count: 222
High score, first 100 lines: 281,192

My high score of 516,865 took me 192 lines. I once had a score of 480,306 through 168 lines, but, of course, botched it. This, plus the fact that my personal best first 100 plus my personal best second 100 would combine to well over 600,000 makes me believe that I could possibly hit that mark someday, if the perfect game comes along.

Anyway, here's a photo of me missing a personal best by 845 points, to back up my claims.
Spoiler:
08MAR2012.jpg
Samik

Postby Jorpho » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:00 am UTC

Funny thing about that video – why does he always build the channel on one side? Strategically, would it not be best to build it in the middle, i.e. so that either the Z or S block (or whatever you want to call then) or either of the L blocks can be used?

Anyway, much as I like the drop mechanics, the GB Tetris engine is too easily abused, is it not? The next block is influenced by how much each type of preceding block has been manipulated.
Jorpho

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:31 pm UTC

By putting the empty column on the far side, you have an "infinitely wide target", which makes it easier to aim blocks at, when the game starts going at very high speeds.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you
headprogrammingczar

Postby Jorpho » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:38 pm UTC

Ah, but of course. However, I note that in the video above, the player pretty much gives up on tetrises beyond level 20. (A very sensible way to play, to be sure.)
Jorpho

Postby Will » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:35 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Infinite spin really does nerf things. But then, at the speeds involved, a little nerfing is perhaps in order.

The thing that pisses me off is that you can't turn infinite spin off in singleplayer--but there's no infinite spin in multiplayer! This makes it bloody impossible to get good at the multiplayer, because it's basically a completely different game.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon
Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Samik » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:49 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Funny thing about that video – why does he always build the channel on one side?

When you're really trying to max out your scoring efficiency (have as many of your lines scored in tetrises as possible), it's so much easier to have one 9 column wide play area to deal with stacking all the other pieces efficiently than two separate play areas - one four columns wide and one five columns wide - to manage. The nine column wide area is much more tolerant of less than perfect moves.

Of course, this all goes out the window when you can play indefinitely at level 20, and just take a half hour to slowly but surely max out the score while scoring one line at a time.

Strategically, would it not be best to build it in the middle, i.e. so that either the Z or S block (or whatever you want to call then) or either of the L blocks can be used?

I don't quite grasp what is being asked here. If you build your channel right, you can usually use a large number of different blocks to buy time if the long piece just isn't coming.

Anyway, much as I like the drop mechanics, the GB Tetris engine is too easily abused, is it not? The next block is influenced by how much each type of preceding block has been manipulated.

Something that's very difficult to take advantage of as the levels begin to move faster. Let alone while playing an efficient, mistake free game. Bear in mind that, if 100% of your clears are tetrises, it's only even possible to get just over 300,000 points in the first 100 lines, and about 450,000 in the first 140 lines. And that's a hypothetically perfect game.

Far more worthwhile, I find, just to work at building your stack/channel in such a way as to be able to weather shortages without catastrophe, and while wasting the minimum amount of lines.

I've just never seen anyone, in video format or in real life, achieve a good score while messing around with the pieces too much.
Samik

Postby Carlington » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:38 pm UTC

Necroing this thread to say that there's lots of variants and multiplayer competitive options on a site called Tetris Friends. Personall I go in for Sprint 5P and Arena, but there are lots of options and loads of singleplayer as well.

EDIT: I like Sprint 5P because it's a competitive version of 40 Lines mode, which has always been my favourite.
Kewangji wrote:Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork."
One day, I'm going to come home and find you lying on the floor. I'll ask what's wrong and you'll say "It finished...he stopped updating...it's over..."
No-one does a slice like Big Rico's. No-one.
Carlington
Folk punch me a lot

Postby Jorpho » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:02 pm UTC

The local theater is showing Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters tomorrow. I think I will go see.
Jorpho

Previous

Return to Gaming