The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:28 am UTC

Underworld
Spoiler:
Okay, I noob modded it up and made a bad role, help me fix it. There is a "wanna-be cultist" who wins if he gets recruited to the cult (and can double win if the cult also wins). Lataro dieing wasn't supposed to make this an impossible win condition because there is supposed to be a back up cult. The back-up cult is a player who can copy the abilities of dead players, but this player has misinterpreted what would happen if he copies Lataro's ability. He thinks it will add to Lataro's faction, not to his own. My two solutions are:

1) Tell the dead-copier that copying Lataro's ability would make him a cult leader
2) Change the wanna-be cultist to a survivor.

I'm leaning towards 2 but I'm open to suggestions. I don't like 1 because it feels like I am helping him to win by giving him unsolicited advice.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos
BoomFrog

Postby Lataro » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:35 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Underworld
Spoiler:
Okay, I noob modded it up and made a bad role, help me fix it. There is a "wanna-be cultist" who wins if he gets recruited to the cult (and can double win if the cult also wins). Lataro dieing wasn't supposed to make this an impossible win condition because there is supposed to be a back up cult. The back-up cult is a player who can copy the abilities of dead players, but this player has misinterpreted what would happen if he copies Lataro's ability. He thinks it will add to Lataro's faction, not to his own. My two solutions are:

1) Tell the dead-copier that copying Lataro's ability would make him a cult leader

I'm leaning towards 2 but I'm open to suggestions. I don't like 1 because it feels like I am helping him to win by giving him unsolicited advice.

Underworld:
Spoiler:
Personally, I think number one would be a no-no, since your main motivation to do so is to benefit another player, and thus, interfering in the natural progression of the game. As for dealing with this though, true, the second player has a VERY low chance of winning due to this situation. Changing his role to survivor wouldn't be a bad way to fix it, given the info you've provided. So long as doing so doesn't unbalance the game in some way. Biggest thing I'd stress to this player is that they are not to discuss in thread their previous win and that this has changed, since it would interfere with the game for players to believe any cult mechanic isn't an issue anymore. Perhaps change his win to this: "Wins if they survive til the end of the game, bonus win if culted and the cult wins."
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."
Lataro

Postby Krong » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:38 am UTC

Hello folks, longish time no see. I've been in full-on lurkmode since being eliminated from Amy's Surprise (BTW, Misnomer, nice job pulling off the win at the end!)

So anyway, I've got a game in the queue, and it's more or less designed. I also just got a message or two asking if I'm ready to run it. I am if we've got the people... how are things going around here lately?
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)
Krong

Postby Weeks » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:45 am UTC

I just came back for a game, so things are looking shiny.

Long time no see Krong! *waves*
Magnanimous wrote:If it begs you to switch browsers, would it be Internet Implorer?
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Krong » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:52 am UTC

/me waves back
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)
Krong

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:19 am UTC

The current games are lingering and we just had two games get snapped up pretty quick, so I'd say you'll probably get about 10ish sign-ups, and it'd help if you gave assurances that the game would be noob-friendly. We actually got a few new players but we might lose them if we only have complex games like mine and Lataros.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos
BoomFrog

Postby roband » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:17 pm UTC

Firefly:
Spoiler:
Are there seriously all these cool seeming roles flying around and I'm vanilla? Boring.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:42 pm UTC

Hogwarts
Spoiler:
Wow. Busdriver just wasn't a role that was in my meta at all. Town is so screwed.
Azrael001

Postby roband » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:35 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:Hogwarts
Spoiler:
Wow. Busdriver just wasn't a role that was in my meta at all. Town is so screwed.

Hogwarts:
Spoiler:
Me either man. Sorry for pushing so hard on you, that cop result on FAOT just made it so obvious in my head...

Also,
Adam H wrote:Oh, and three townies suiciding in one game? Ugh ugh ugh UGH.

At least mine wasn't a "oh I give up", it was a "I HAVE A PLAN GUYS" and it only turned out to be HALF wrong...
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby Deva » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:12 am UTC

PYPokemafia
Spoiler:
Created a new batch. In order: ConMan, Woopate, and Weeks. Had difficulties with Caterpie (body type) and Raichu (side angle and the expression).
Caterpie Pi.png
Caterpie Pi

Woopatutor.png
Woopatutor

Raixie.png
Raixie

Illustrated the three chosen Pokemon, also. Opted for a crossover for an interesting Starmie feature. Followed suit with the other two. Likes the Wigglytuff image the most.
Starmie Fox.png
Starmie Fox

Wigglytuff Fight.png
Wigglytuff Fight

Jolteon Wright2.png
Jolteon Wright
Changes its form depending on the observer.
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:15 am UTC

Underworld
Spoiler:
t1mm in scumchat wrote:If I die I die. It was just so damn boring >.<
:( Sorry, lesson learned, don't tie your game days lengths to anything except what is good to keep an active game. I think my next game will work out better.

Lataro wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:Underworld
Spoiler:

Underworld:
Spoiler:
Personally, I think number one would be a no-no, since your main motivation to do so is to benefit another player, and thus, interfering in the natural progression of the game. As for dealing with this though, true, the second player has a VERY low chance of winning due to this situation. Changing his role to survivor wouldn't be a bad way to fix it, given the info you've provided. So long as doing so doesn't unbalance the game in some way. Biggest thing I'd stress to this player is that they are not to discuss in thread their previous win and that this has changed, since it would interfere with the game for players to believe any cult mechanic isn't an issue anymore. Perhaps change his win to this: "Wins if they survive til the end of the game, bonus win if culted and the cult wins."
Underworld
Spoiler:
Hmm, the dead copier did decide to eat Lataro so now he will get the full power description and probably start recruiting tomorrow night. Still I should probably change the cultist-wannabe to be half survivor as it still seems like that's fair.

EDIT: Ha, never-mind he just changed his mind. Whatever my decision shouldn't be based on players actions now anyway, I'm going to make the change.
BoomFrog

Postby Krong » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:42 am UTC

Cool, Political Parties Mafia is a go. Expect signup info, etc. Friday or Saturday.
Krong

Postby eculc » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:56 am UTC

underworld

Spoiler:
for all interested, I've recieved a retroactive role change. I'm now the joker who also wins If i get recruited.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby t1mm01994 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:35 pm UTC

Underworld:
Spoiler:
No need to go hard on you, this was clearly a player issue.. I random voted with no explanation whatsoever and got 2(!) responses. That just means no-one is active... If anything, after reading the spoilers I think it may be a bit of a complicated (confusing) game... #ut that may be just me.
Last edited by t1mm01994 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
t1mm01994

Postby roband » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:19 pm UTC

Tim, I dunno what you did but it fucked the board up...
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby Weeks » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:42 pm UTC

Probably tried to nest quotes and spoilers.
Magnanimous wrote:If it begs you to switch browsers, would it be Internet Implorer?
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby t1mm01994 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:44 pm UTC

I edited it out #theshame
But yeah, it should be fixed now. Quotes and spoilers it was.
t1mm01994

Postby roband » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:53 pm UTC

Made the board look well weird! I once broke our helpdesk at work by putting a stray <tr> code in by itself. Messed it right up.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby t1mm01994 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:57 pm UTC

Relevant.I /will/ try it..
t1mm01994

Postby roband » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:50 pm UTC

Firefly:
Spoiler:
Wat?
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby Mostlynormal » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:52 pm UTC

I love the new replacement for E BWOP :lol:
Mostlynormal

Postby t1mm01994 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:55 pm UTC

Mostlynormal wrote:I love the new replacement for E BWOP :lol:

I second this.
t1mm01994

Postby BoomFrog » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:28 am UTC

t1mm01994 wrote:Underworld:
Spoiler:
No need to go hard on you, this was clearly a player issue.. I random voted with no explanation whatsoever and got 2(!) responses. That just means no-one is active... If anything, after reading the spoilers I think it may be a bit of a complicated (confusing) game... #ut that may be just me.

Underworld
Spoiler:
Yeah, my next game will be more open. Strange secret mechanics = quiet players who are trying to avoid a misstep. Strange public mechanics = open discussion. I think my next game will be better. (good luck on your first modding experience :) )
BoomFrog

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby Krong » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:36 pm UTC

Signups are open for...

Political Parties Mafia!
ImageImageImage

The people of Caucus City have a mafia problem, and they've decided to let their politicians deal with it. This ought to be fun.

In this game, each player gets a daily choice of membership in a political party. Members of a party can chat privately, and each party has unique abilities that can be exploited by the town or mafia.

Signup in the signup thread!

Yes, the alpha on those images is off. I'll fix it for the real game.
Krong

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:42 am UTC

Hogwarts
Spoiler:
Adam H wrote:I'll vote BF if both MN and FAOT change their votes to BF.

Otherwise I'll flip a coin (or wait for BF and mpolo to hammer).
A fine specimen of AdamH thinking he is clever. He's thinks that if I am FAOT's scummate FAOT won't change his vote, but if MN is FAOT's scummate he will change his vote. The question is, does FAOT see it?
BoomFrog

Postby Deva » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:21 am UTC

PYPokemafia
Spoiler:
Selects Golduck for Misnomer. Always thought of Darkwing Duck with that avatar. Belongs to Town by intuition and to Mafia by pattern.

Feels too short. How about some meta information? Played Battlestar Galatica before. Has not participated in any other similar games. Usually got identified as a Cylon (see: Mafia) through process of elimination. Contributed helpful cards towards checks, regardless of alignment (barring already being exposed). Risked harmful cards only during vital checks. Acted similarly with character roles (shoot Cylons as a Pilot, repair as an Engineer, feel useless as a second-in-line Political or Military role). Probably helped the humans more in the long-run than with an immediate confession.

Failed at picking out Cylons. Extends to these boards. Might have succeeded more by random choice (rather than pure intuition selections). Generally followed the group's consensus. Worked better. This game? Apologies, Town. Hopes for a sharper intuition in an actively-played game.

Mistakes: Six. (One for any meta information, another for "ever-helpful", and a third for poor instincts. Does the title seem appropriate now?)

Already drew the interesting avatar-based Pokemon. Plans no further comments until the role messages, excepting more surprise players.

Also, good luck, Tim.
Changes its form depending on the observer.
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Mostlynormal » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:31 am UTC

Hogwarts:
Spoiler:
So I told BF "You can go ahead and give me the night action if you wat to spread wine" (resolving to consider him scum either way) and he actually did. Resolutions aside, that shook me up for a moment. I'm going to proceed on the assumption that BF is scum because he's still much more likely to scum than anyone else. If Adam H turns up scum I'll be kicking myself when this is over. As for mpolo, I would really be surprised if he was scum.

I think if BF is scum he might be setting himself up for casting doubt on Adam H while making me seem townier. I feel I have a decent argument against a Me/FAOT scumteam but I'm having bigger and bigger doubts about Adam's innocence. Because of course the flipside of the coin is that we have some weird redirects/two GFs and BF is actually town.

Typing that out makes it seem a little less plausible. I'm going to assume that BF is scum because I think I'll go insane if I don't.
Mostlynormal

Postby eculc » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:01 pm UTC

underworld:
Spoiler:
again for those watching at home: I'm not sure if it was a case of me actually being targeted for NK, but TMG was the one I targeted N2.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:43 pm UTC

eculc wrote:underworld:
Spoiler:
again for those watching at home: I'm not sure if it be'd a case of I actually being targeted for NK, but TMG be'd the one I targeted N2.

Underworld
Spoiler:
Yeah, TMG was extreamly popular last night. He got redirected twice, and weaponized, which is what killed eculc. Also if he had not been redirected he would have killed one of the two remaining scum.
BoomFrog

Postby Adam H » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:36 pm UTC

I think I might mod another resistance game. I want to clean up the rules and make a smaller noob friendly game, probably only using the weaker plot powers (opinion maker, in the spotlight, strong leader, no confidence, KACEOY).

Rule changes:
-There's no mission phase; you can talk at all times. Spies must send in their pass/fail along with their accept/reject during the voting phase, default is a fail.
-Default vote is accept if you are on the team, reject if you are not on the team.
-You can use plot powers at anytime and the use is public.
-3 consecutive rejections is a failed mission instead of a game-over.
-Failure to submit a mission results in a rejected team. You can pm the mod at any point in the game to set up a default team in case you miss the deadline as leader.
-No spy chat at the beginning.
-No spy plot powers.
-Must go on missions in order (can't pick the 4th mission first).
-"No confidence" and "strong leader" don't count toward consecutive rejections, but they don't restart the rejection count either.

What do you think? Any interest? I wouldn't start until the next round of games are starting to slow down (pokeman, auction, political).
-Adam
Adam H

Postby Lataro » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:06 pm UTC

eh... I'd play if you needed people to fill it out, but I'm not too gung-ho for it myself. Not due to any changes made, more so with playing another resistance so soon again.

As for the changes themselves... I don't really like the 3 rejects=failed rather than game over. It gives resistance too much wiggle room in picking who gives powers later in game, since they can make the call to reject if they are up 2-0 and give the spies a freebie in order to position themselves better for a confirmed leader for the next plot power distribution. That pressure is a big asset to the spies.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."
Lataro

Postby Adam H » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:45 pm UTC

Lataro wrote:I don't really like the 3 rejects=failed rather than game over. It gives resistance too much wiggle room in picking who gives powers later in game, since they can make the call to reject if they are up 2-0 and give the spies a freebie in order to position themselves better for a confirmed leader for the next plot power distribution. That pressure is a big asset to the spies.
A third consecutive rejection would be just like if the team was accepted and then failed the mission. So if it's the third proposal, the next leader up will distribute plot powers no matter what. There is no scenario where the resistance would be better off rejecting the 3rd proposal rather than accepting it.

The move from 5 to 3 rejections (which I like only because it makes the game shorter) already cuts too much into the resistance's wiggle room IMO.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby Sungura » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:38 pm UTC

firefly
Spoiler:
i deserve a metal for that post, it took for-friggin'-ever to make
Zarq wrote:Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:43 pm UTC

firefly
Spoiler:
ah yes...my classic downfall. Posting a ton of thread-based accusations instead of meta. No one likes my meta, no one likes thread-based stuff. Make up your fucking mind what you want me to do. I'm fine if I'm lynched I'm kinda sick of this dead game anyway. I have ended up leading the town the entire time and they still want to vote me...whatever dudes. Same old same old as every game I played here for ages until I quit...was hoping it had kinda changed especially since some of the older players were in this one too and they are fine just still wayyyyy too many no0bs
Zarq wrote:Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:20 am UTC

Adam H wrote:-No spy chat at the beginning.

I think this is a mistake. In regular mafia the weakest scum just gets lynched early. In resistance scum needs every spy to pull their weight. Scum chat lets the stronger players give advice to the weaker players making a more even game. If everyone where an experienced player no chat would be fine, but in our environment with always having a few noobs there needs to be scum chat. Personally I'd go the other way and allow spy chat at all times.
BoomFrog

Postby t1mm01994 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:55 pm UTC

Evil Auction:
Spoiler:
So umm.. I nonchalantly throw out a random comment, and learn that matt will not have a doc/cop role, and Con is a likely vanilla townie. I also find out that Chickenfish will be a nice and squishy target. Do want to be the mafia newb now...
t1mm01994

Postby Vieto » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:41 am UTC

I've gotten into the Spirit of my next game, which should hopefully begin before the movie of the same name.

PLAY FASTER, MEDIUM GAMES!
a.k.a. Cazador
Vieto

Postby t1mm01994 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:53 am UTC

Hogwarts just finished...
t1mm01994

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:09 am UTC

I'll put up signups for my game after the Political Parties one has gotten started. Jfyi. (I am paying attention, honest!)
The most efficient way to a man's heart goes through his ribcage is reached by stabbing him in the back. Screaming "KALIMA KALIMA"also helps is a bonus.
AngrySquirrel
Eats nuts for breakfast...

Postby Adam H » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:51 pm UTC

Underworld:
Spoiler:
trineroks wrote:Is it me, or is Adam just overflowing with scum?
Yes, yes... come on... a little closer now. I won't hurt you, I promise!

:twisted:
-Adam
Adam H

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia