In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Hawknc, Zamfir, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Chen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:10 pm UTC



After reading the article the implications of that are pretty crazy if it can actually be scaled up. Its like a light + air condition in one ...at an extremely low scale of course.
Chen
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Diadem » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:29 pm UTC

Chen wrote:


After reading the article the implications of that are pretty crazy if it can actually be scaled up. Its like a light + air condition in one ...at an extremely low scale of course.

Wait, it says it doesn't violate the 1st law of thermodynamics because it extracts heat from its surrounding. But that violates the 2nd law.

So that's still WT-HOLYBATMAN-F!
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister
User avatar
Diadem
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Chen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:33 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
Chen wrote:


After reading the article the implications of that are pretty crazy if it can actually be scaled up. Its like a light + air condition in one ...at an extremely low scale of course.

Wait, it says it doesn't violate the 1st law of thermodynamics because it extracts heat from its surrounding. But that violates the 2nd law.

So that's still WT-HOLYBATMAN-F!


Wait how does that violate the second law? The LED gets colder and heat from the environment transfers to it. Presumably significantly MORE heat is transferred too it than is converted into light so I don't think there's any broken laws here.
Chen
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Dauric » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:43 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Diadem wrote:
Chen wrote:


After reading the article the implications of that are pretty crazy if it can actually be scaled up. Its like a light + air condition in one ...at an extremely low scale of course.

Wait, it says it doesn't violate the 1st law of thermodynamics because it extracts heat from its surrounding. But that violates the 2nd law.

So that's still WT-HOLYBATMAN-F!


Wait how does that violate the second law? The LED gets colder and heat from the environment transfers to it. Presumably significantly MORE heat is transferred too it than is converted into light so I don't think there's any broken laws here.


Some appropriate linkage: Laws of Thermodynamics. For assholes like me that had to look it up.

If I'm understanding my physics correctly (not always a safe assumption) it violates the second law as light is less entropic than heat, that's why it's the "Heat-Death of the Universe", not the "Light-Death of the Universe" when all energy sources finally reach equilibrium. Energy is never consumed, it just becomes more entropic, which makes it harder to do something useful with it.

At least, in theory before the existence of LEDs that reduce energy-entropy around them to create a lower-entropy energy...

Edit:

Unless this turns out to be a fake like those "Cold Fusion" experiments in years past.

Not saying it is or isn't a fraud just acknowledging the possibility.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. Later, Garrus was eaten by a shark. It is believed that the Point has perished in the accident. Back to you Bob.
User avatar
Dauric
 
Posts: 3169
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: If I knew this with any accuracy I wouldn't know if I was going to get a speeding ticket.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:56 pm UTC

A system is entropic if it's not in a state of equilibrium. The second law just says that closed systems will eventually reach equilibrium, because high energy things transfer their energy to low energy things, and open systems will become more entropic because energy will transfer in or out depending on the surrounding systems. So these LEDs are in compliance because they're simply drawing in energy from the surrounding systems.

Since the universe is a closed system, it will eventually bevome completely non-entropic as energy levels totally stabilize. Heat death of the universe will occur, if it does occur, because the system will be so large that the average amount of energy will approach absolute zero.
User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
 
Posts: 2931
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby addams » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:01 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:A system is entropic if it's not in a state of equilibrium. The second law just says that closed systems will eventually reach equilibrium, because high energy things transfer their energy to low energy things, and open systems will become more entropic because energy will transfer in or out depending on the surrounding systems. So these LEDs are in compliance because they're simply drawing in energy from the surrounding systems.

Since the universe is a closed system, it will eventually bevome completely non-entropic as energy levels totally stabilize. Heat death of the universe will occur, if it does occur, because the system will be so large that the average amount of energy will approach absolute zero.

I loved the idea of heat death of the Universe. This idea was introduced to me by Lincoln Barnett.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Barnett
He was a poetic guy. I could sleep easy thinking that Barnett had 'it all' figured out.

He might have been wrong. (Shrug.)
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.
addams
 
Posts: 6194
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby adho » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:47 pm UTC

addams wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:A system is entropic if it's not in a state of equilibrium. The second law just says that closed systems will eventually reach equilibrium, because high energy things transfer their energy to low energy things, and open systems will become more entropic because energy will transfer in or out depending on the surrounding systems. So these LEDs are in compliance because they're simply drawing in energy from the surrounding systems.

Since the universe is a closed system, it will eventually bevome completely non-entropic as energy levels totally stabilize. Heat death of the universe will occur, if it does occur, because the system will be so large that the average amount of energy will approach absolute zero.

I loved the idea of heat death of the Universe. This idea was introduced to me by Lincoln Barnett.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Barnett
He was a poetic guy. I could sleep easy thinking that Barnett had 'it all' figured out.

He might have been wrong. (Shrug.)


The first time I learnt about heat death was when my father took me to an astrophysics lecture, I must have been ten or so. The scientist was talking about the gradual spreading of heat and matter, and how it was related to his own research, which I have completely forgotten. I sharply remember asking him what would happen when all of the universe reached that low average temperature, and him giving me an odd look, saying the single time he explained heat death in his lecture a child started crying. It is pretty depressing. So began my nihilist period. :roll:
adho
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:21 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Diadem » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:59 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Diadem wrote:
Chen wrote:


After reading the article the implications of that are pretty crazy if it can actually be scaled up. Its like a light + air condition in one ...at an extremely low scale of course.

Wait, it says it doesn't violate the 1st law of thermodynamics because it extracts heat from its surrounding. But that violates the 2nd law.

So that's still WT-HOLYBATMAN-F!


Wait how does that violate the second law? The LED gets colder and heat from the environment transfers to it. Presumably significantly MORE heat is transferred too it than is converted into light so I don't think there's any broken laws here.

Because it takes energy to create a temperature gradient. You can't just spontaneously make some thing hotter and something else colder without that taking energy. So the LED can't just suddenly start getting colder without using energy to do that unless it started out significantly hotter than the environment. But then you have nothing special. That's just hot things getting colder. A-ma-zing! And in that case it's not 230% efficient either, because you had to spend energy to heat up the LED first.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister
User avatar
Diadem
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby addams » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:26 pm UTC

adho wrote:
addams wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:A system is entropic if it's not in a state of equilibrium. The second law just says that closed systems will eventually reach equilibrium, because high energy things transfer their energy to low energy things, and open systems will become more entropic because energy will transfer in or out depending on the surrounding systems. So these LEDs are in compliance because they're simply drawing in energy from the surrounding systems.

Since the universe is a closed system, it will eventually bevome completely non-entropic as energy levels totally stabilize. Heat death of the universe will occur, if it does occur, because the system will be so large that the average amount of energy will approach absolute zero.

I loved the idea of heat death of the Universe. This idea was introduced to me by Lincoln Barnett.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Barnett
He was a poetic guy. I could sleep easy thinking that Barnett had 'it all' figured out.

He might have been wrong. (Shrug.)


The first time I learnt about heat death was when my father took me to an astrophysics lecture, I must have been ten or so. The scientist was talking about the gradual spreading of heat and matter, and how it was related to his own research, which I have completely forgotten. I sharply remember asking him what would happen when all of the universe reached that low average temperature, and him giving me an odd look, saying the single time he explained heat death in his lecture a child started crying. It is pretty depressing. So began my nihilist period. :roll:


Oh. I did not respond to the news that way. To me it seemed so settled. It the beginning there was a Big Bang and the crashing and booming and banging has gone on for a long time and will continue for a while. In the end, the last bit of heat will be expressed and everything will be quiet.
Dr. Barnett told it like a bedtime story. I could very nearly hear the last atoms of the Universe giving up their heat like tiny bells. It seemed so settled.
Heat death of the Universe made a child cry? Oh. That is, kind of, funny.
The Expanding Earth Theory nearly made a Chemist cry.
That was so sweet and strange.
What is the difference between the end of this Planet happening in 4 billion years or 400 thousand years? It is not going to effect your lunch plans.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.
addams
 
Posts: 6194
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Jumble » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:05 pm UTC

addams wrote:Heat death of the Universe made a child cry? Oh. That is, kind of, funny.
.....
What is the difference between the end of this Planet happening in 4 billion years or 400 thousand years? It is not going to effect your lunch plans.

I guess if you are under 8 (or whatever age it is you suddenly realize that you are mortal) then neither 4 billion years or 400 thousand years mean much. They could be next week relative to your experience so far. So something to get upset about. It's bittersweet, really.

Mind you I don't think time on that scale means much to the rest of us (and I speak as an astrophysicist). It's just we've learnt to put stuff into a dusty old box marked "after I'm dead".
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.
User avatar
Jumble
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:48 am UTC
Location: London(ish), UK.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:11 pm UTC

I don't know about you, but I plan to achieve biological immortality and observe the heat death of the universe first hand.

I've read that the universe will only be able to support life for another 30 billion years. After that, the only stars left will be red dwarfs, and any planet orbiting close enough for liquid water temperatures would be constantly bombarded with solar flares. 30 billion years. It's not that far away considering that the heat death is a few billion trillion zillion years away. It means the universe will have been completely barren for almost the entirety of its existence, with the exception of this vanishingly brief moment where life ca.n exist.

That really is a bit depressing.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
 
Posts: 7750
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:04 pm UTC

I suddenly find my own mortality comforting, in light of tens of billions of years of a dead universe.
User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
 
Posts: 2931
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby addams » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:35 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:I suddenly find my own mortality comforting, in light of tens of billions of years of a dead universe.

The only thing that we know of that is faster than the speed of light is thought.
The dead Universe is not so dead. Your mind has been there.

Your mind and the minds of many others.
We don't know. No one, really, knows.

Is life so very rare? Is our moment on the stage all there is?
So many questions. Only a few good answers.

This is the funny thread. What is funny about this?
I remember.
We think about things that are too big to think about.
We take ourselves seriously. That's funny.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.
addams
 
Posts: 6194
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:43 pm UTC

On the contrary, I think anyone seriously contemplating the scale and age and future of the universe, and their own place in it, can only take themselves very un-seriously.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
 
Posts: 7750
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby ahammel » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:18 am UTC

addams wrote:[...]The only thing that we know of that is faster than the speed of light is thought.[...]

Nope. Information has to travel at less than the speed of light just like everything else. In practice, "thoughts" (whatever those are, neurologically) are limited by the speed of action potentials in the brain, which propagate at something on the order of 10–100 m/s (~3.3*10-7c).

Edited for jsmath brain failure. Thanks, SlyReaper!
Last edited by ahammel on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I also answer to 'Alex'

YES, IT'S SPACEY-WACEY!
User avatar
ahammel
My Little Cabbage
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am UTC
Location: Vancouver BC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:27 am UTC

Why would you use jmath tags on that? WHY?!?!

Here's how to write that without making everybody's web browser cry: (~ 3.3*10−7c).
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
 
Posts: 7750
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Qaanol » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am UTC


Wait, it simultaneously produces light and cools down its environment? That…that has huge market potential!

Run some of those optical microchips from a few posts back on some of these heat-sinking LEDs, and server cooling costs will plummet.
Small Government Liberal
User avatar
Qaanol
 
Posts: 2519
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby addams » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:29 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:
addams wrote:[...]The only thing that we know of that is faster than the speed of light is thought.[...]

Nope. Information has to travel at less than the speed of light just like everything else. In practice, "thoughts" (whatever those are, neurologically) are limited by the speed of action potentials in the brain, which propagate at something on the order of 10–100 m/s (~3.3*10-7c).

Edited for jsmath brain failure. Thanks, SlyReaper!


Not that it matters, but, I will bite.
We have grand imaginations. My thoughts can go out to distant galaxies and back in very little time.
Light can't do that.
Our Human minds allow us to think of time, long ago and time far into the future. These are places our bodies will never go.
I know. We were all taught that there is nothing faster than light. I disagree. Thought is faster than light. Thought is faster than the chemical reactions that are the physical evidence of thought.

We have amazing minds.

Edit: The word filter is funny. If, we post and read every day and the Moderators change one word everyday, then, xkcd will have its own language in less than a year. It will be like Navajo!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.
addams
 
Posts: 6194
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby yurell » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:10 pm UTC

addams wrote:I know. We were all taught that there is nothing faster than light. I disagree. Thought is faster than light. Thought is faster than the chemical reactions that are the physical wild speculation of thought.


In a poetic sense? Maybe. In a physical sense? Not even close.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!
User avatar
yurell
 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Роберт » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:52 pm UTC

yurell wrote:
addams wrote:I know. We were all taught that there is nothing faster than light. I disagree. Thought is faster than light. Thought is faster than the chemical reactions that are the physical wild speculation of thought.


In a poetic sense? Maybe. In a physical sense? Not even close.

I can think about alpha-centauri right now even though it's light years away.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт
 
Posts: 4301
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Dark567 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:00 pm UTC

Qaanol wrote:

Wait, it simultaneously produces light and cools down its environment? That…that hath huge market potential!
Not really. The only reason it works is because it is on such small scales. The amount of light it produces and the amount of heat it absorbs are absolutely tiny. And from my understanding of the physics there isn't any easy way to make it scale.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.


Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567
 
Posts: 3422
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:12 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:28 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
yurell wrote:
addams wrote:I know. We were all taught that there is nothing faster than light. I disagree. Thought is faster than light. Thought is faster than the chemical reactions that are the physical wild speculation of thought.


In a poetic sense? Maybe. In a physical sense? Not even close.

I will think about alpha-centauri right now even though it's light years away.

So? It's still only a metaphor if you say that means you're visiting the place. It's a nice metaphor though; it's one of the only crumbs of comfort we have to console ourselves with the fact that we'll almost certainly never actually go there.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
 
Posts: 7750
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Nylonathatep » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:50 pm UTC

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.c ... r_language

Knowing it's Microsoft... It'll probably end up being like this:

Image

Hilarity ensure.
User avatar
Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:06 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:02 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Qaanol wrote:

Wait, it simultaneously produces light and cools down its environment? That…that hath huge market potential!
Not really. The only reason it works be because it be on such small scales. The amount of light it produces and the amount of heat it absorbs be absolutely tiny. And from I's understanding of the physics there isn't any easy way 2 make it scale.

Don't you see!? This is why spaceships have faintly glowing panels. Because they are actually heatsinks! In the future everything will glow. It is already foretold.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos
User avatar
BoomFrog
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Minneapolis

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:04 pm UTC

Famous Classical Nudes re-imagined with 21st century body ideals

not really news, but on a news site and interesting nonetheless.

Edit: Link fixed, Thanks Ghostbear.
Last edited by AvatarIII on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
AvatarIII
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby yurell » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:22 pm UTC

Sorry - we haven't been able to serve the page you asked for
You may have followed a broken link, an outdated search result, or there may be an error on our site. If you typed in a URL, please make sure you have typed it in correctly. In particular, make sure that the URL you typed is all in lower case.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!
User avatar
yurell
 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Angua » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:24 pm UTC

quote the post, retrieve the url, change wordfilters back to normal, then paste into google.

It's a problem when urls run into filters
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine
 
Posts: 3884
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: In other news.! Argh, me maties!! Argh, me maties! (humo

Postby Ghostbear » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:34 pm UTC

Angua wrote:quote the post, retrieve the url, change breadcrumbs back 2 normal, then paste into google.

'tis a problem when urls run into crumbs


I come bearing links to rectify this for the others!
Ghostbear
 
Posts: 1764
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

Re: In other news.! Argh, I maties!! Argh, I maties! (humo

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:44 pm UTC

Ghostbear wrote:
Angua wrote:quote the post, retrieve the url, change breadcrumbs back 2 normal, then paste into google.

'tis a problem when urls run into crumbs


I come bearing links 2 rectify this for the others!


Thanks Ghostbear. :D
User avatar
AvatarIII
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Red Hal » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:35 pm UTC

And here's one straight out of The Two Ronnies

A Lorryload of Dairy products has burst into flames on the A75. Read the last paragraph of the article.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."
User avatar
Red Hal
Magically Delicious
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:42 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Dauric » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:15 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:And here's one straight out of The Two Ronnies

A Lorryload of Dairy products has burst into flames on the A75. Read the last paragraph of the article.


...

The lorry's trailer, loaded with milk and pressurised cream containers, had been on fire for some time before motorists were able to alert driver Phil Sykes, from Cleveleys, Lancashire.


So... The thing was on fire while it was being driven down the road?!?!?!

Terrifying, yet awesome....
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. Later, Garrus was eaten by a shark. It is believed that the Point has perished in the accident. Back to you Bob.
User avatar
Dauric
 
Posts: 3169
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: If I knew this with any accuracy I wouldn't know if I was going to get a speeding ticket.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:17 pm UTC

But the last paragraph is
Spoiler:
He added that when he phoned his boss to let him know what happened, he was told it was no use crying over spilt milk.
Which is definitely the sort of gag you could see the two ronnies making.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.
User avatar
jestingrabbit
 
Posts: 5524
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:50 pm UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Zamfir » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:34 pm UTC

I have been told that dairy powder can make a nasty explosive. It's mostly easy-burning carbohydrates, and it has a high surface to weight ratio. So if a cloud of the stuff gets thrown in the air, a flame front can go through it at very high speed.
User avatar
Zamfir
 
Posts: 6254
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Angua » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:36 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:I have been told that dairy powder can make a nasty explosive. It's mostly easy-burning carbohydrates, and it has a high surface to weight ratio. So if a cloud of the stuff gets thrown in the air, a flame front can go through it at very high speed.

Milk powder being taken on planes to feed babies being disallowed in
3
2
1
...
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine
 
Posts: 3884
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Dauric » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:But the last paragraph is
Spoiler:
He added that when he phoned his boss to let him know what happened, he was told it was no use crying over spilt milk.
Which is definitely the sort of gag you could see the two ronnies making.


Yeah, I got that, old joke I've got a variation of in my signature even. This USAian had to look up who "The Two Ronnies" were so that lost some impact in translation.

The imagery that grabbed my attention was a flaming semi-rig filled with pressurized canisters of creamer and powered creamer (which ignites beautifully when dispersed by something like the sudden release of a nearby pressurized canister) driving down the road with the driver unaware that his bomb's fuse was lit.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. Later, Garrus was eaten by a shark. It is believed that the Point has perished in the accident. Back to you Bob.
User avatar
Dauric
 
Posts: 3169
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: If I knew this with any accuracy I wouldn't know if I was going to get a speeding ticket.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Red Hal » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:44 pm UTC

Jestingrabbit, that was the one I was referring to, and zamfir, this was all liquid, not powder, though I still remember the Great Bird's custard powder explosion of 1981.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."
User avatar
Red Hal
Magically Delicious
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:42 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Zamfir » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:53 pm UTC

I read creamer, not cream, apologies. Yeah, the custard explosion is the same thing. Though I object to calling corn flour 'custard'. That's the path to a purgatory filled with people who buy 'pizza mix' in the supermarket, and eat fish fingers out of their free will.
User avatar
Zamfir
 
Posts: 6254
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Red Hal » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:21 pm UTC

True dat.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."
User avatar
Red Hal
Magically Delicious
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:42 pm UTC


Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby ahammel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:59 pm UTC


Dear whoever makes those artists' renditions of dinosaurs: they probably weren't neon coloured.

"Damn, the carnivores are all over me today! Is it my glaring red and yellow fractal pattern? It's probably my glaring red and yellow fractal pattern."
I also answer to 'Alex'

YES, IT'S SPACEY-WACEY!
User avatar
ahammel
My Little Cabbage
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am UTC
Location: Vancouver BC

PreviousNext

Return to News & Articles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gametaku and 5 guests