My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Postby Weeks » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:10 am UTC

Well, it's too bad that the staff don't have anything to do with fanworks so that they might appeal to you directly.
Magnanimous wrote:If it begs you to switch browsers, would it be Internet Implorer?
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Soralin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:08 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I think I have no reservations about having reservations..?

Anyway, perhaps I phrased my earlier comment wrong. I should say: has the novelty of making wacky Pony pics and Youtube whatsits worn off?

No, there's still a ton of that around, although the thread here on xkcd is unusually slow, you could check around other places as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PjqFon_he4 has top 10 voted list for videos in January, with links, and clips of them, and some other honorable mentions as well.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/ always has a bunch of stuff, especially artwork, as well as music and videos and such, although replies are a bit fragmented, since it's all just in comments

Or other forums: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussi ... epublic/p1 Has had nearly twice as many posts in the last month as this thread here has had, ever, and a bunch of artwork and youtube stuff. (And earlier threads than that, forum software there limits threads to 100 pages, that most recent iteration was made feb. 2 and is up to 35 pages. Although the forum software does allow embedding of youtube videos by nothing more than putting a link to one in a post, which is nice. :))

Jorpho wrote:See? That's the sort of thing that might bring myself to find the episode in question on Youtube. (It's still available in unedited form there, right? Or have they suddenly gotten more active in pulling the episodes down from Youtube now that they're on iTunes?)

They did seem to get a bit more active in doing that, but they're still there. A simple search for mlp season X episode Y, or mlp sX eY seems to return bunches of results.

Also, this is simply awesome: The Moon Rises :)
Soralin

Postby Shidoshi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:44 am UTC

This sums up my feelings on the whole derpy thing:

Spoiler tag added for large image ~4d.
Spoiler:

Really, overreaction on both sides of the issue. It was not that big of a problem in the original video and it's not that much of a crisis to have it changed.
Shidoshi

Postby RaceBandit » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:13 am UTC

I'm still a bit surprised FiM's execution was enough to outweigh its kid-like appearance. Nonetheless, I went full brony either 2/13 or 2/14. I even sang along to "Cupcakes", for Celestia's sake.

It'll take me quite a while to like Rainbow Dash, because years ago, I watched a cartoon about how to make bad cartoons, and one of the things it said was that everybody hates rainbows. i have stuck to this ever since, even though I've seen RD do a Sonic Rainboom.

My favorite pony is Fluttershy, with Twilight Sparkle and Applejack tied for second.
RaceBandit

Postby Vaniver » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:59 am UTC

For those of you who delight in cringes and are not put off by the sort of text you would read in a romance novel, Naked Singularity is marvelous.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.
Vaniver

Postby ArgonV » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:21 pm UTC

Angel's a bitch!
ArgonV

Postby Shidoshi » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:19 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:For those of you who delight in cringes and are not put off by the sort of text you would read in a romance novel, Naked Singularity is marvelous.

This was quite delightful, specially when you understand all that scientific language =D
Shidoshi

Postby Sartorius » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:47 pm UTC

This video basically sums up my feelings on the CMC. It helps if you've seen the original commercial.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
Sartorius

Postby Shadowfish » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:06 pm UTC

This made me so happy. Of course any solution that involves flying wouldn't occur to Fluttershy.
I'm mostly a lurker. I lurk. Kind of like a fish, in the shadows.
Shadowfish

Postby Angua » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:09 pm UTC

Shadowfish wrote:This made me so happy. Of course any solution that involves flying wouldn't occur to Fluttershy.

I must say, that did cross my mind when watching that episode.
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Shidoshi » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:14 pm UTC

Shadowfish wrote:This made me so happy. Of course any solution that involves flying wouldn't occur to Fluttershy.

And it's not up to New Fluttershy to come up with complex solutions to her problems, because obviously, when someone tries to block SHOW THEM THAT YOU ROCK!
She shouldn't just try to go around it.
Shidoshi

Postby ConMan » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:19 pm UTC

When they make you go around, you hold your ground! Right?
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby Weeks » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:15 am UTC

When they make you wait, you GIVE THEM SOME HATE!

Nice episode, especially after the horrible week break...
Magnanimous wrote:If it begs you to switch browsers, would it be Internet Implorer?
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:44 pm UTC

You know, this is the second episode to get me close to crying. The first was Sonic Rainboom, which was tears of joy. I'm not sure WHY this one made me sad... It's not like I haven't seen Pinkie Pie sad before, but I guess because it was Fluttershy specifically Fluttershy that did it, coupled with the face Pinkie made, it just hit me harder.

So, when I found out there was a fanfiction called "Stargate: Equestria" I wanted to read it at first, but then I found out it may or may not involve Twilight/Daniel shipping. No.

But you know what fanfic I WOULD recommend? "Tilt". It's pretty cool.
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/02/story-tilt.html
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby Weeks » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:21 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:The first was Sonic Rainboom, which was tears of joy.
This happened to me! Sonic Rainboom was incredible.

Edit: By the way, how did y'all like Fluttershy's "no one gives a flying feather!" line? Image
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:33 pm UTC

*gigantic sigh*

It's only the second season and they're already re-using plot twists? Really? And to make matters worse, in this episode, they even mentioned the episode that they re-used the plot twist from!

However, it has a lot of Pinkie being awesome, so I'll give it a pass. Also:

Spoiler:
Gypsie Pinkie is cannon now. FiW fans, you know what I'm talking about.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

The Scyphozoa

Postby Shidoshi » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:51 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:*gigantic sigh*

It's only the second season and they're already re-using plot twists? Really? And to make matters worse, in this episode, they even mentioned the episode that they re-used the plot twist from!

However, it has a lot of Pinkie being awesome, so I'll give it a pass. Also:

Spoiler:

I don't see what you mean by "re-using plot twists". Either way, this episode was awesome. Every scene with Pinkie Pie was hilarious.

Spoiler:
And that Gypsy Pinkie was pure gold, when I saw that scene I screamed to myself.
Shidoshi

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:14 am UTC

Spoiler:
I mean the whole "the prediction of something is what causes that thing to happen" thing. It's a massive cliché, and there's nothing wrong with using clichés in children's shows, except when you did the same thing last season. I'm talking about Feeling Pinkie Keen. And how they made reference to Pinkie Sense in this very episode.

Anyway, what do we call epic Solid Snake version of Twilight? I vote Solid Sparkle.

The Scyphozoa

Postby Shidoshi » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:22 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
Spoiler:
I mean the whole "the prediction of something is what causes that thing to happen" thing. It's a massive cliché, and there's nothing wrong with using clichés in children's shows, except when you did the same thing last season. I'm talking about Feeling Pinkie Keen. And how they made reference to Pinkie Sense in this very episode.

Anyway, what do we call epic Solid Snake version of Twilight? I vote Solid Sparkle.

Spoiler:
In FPK it wasn't the prediction that made things happen. I don't see that much of a parallel to FPK. I know the story was pretty predictable, but that happens a lot in MLP. It doesn't take from my enjoyment at all because they are just so good at developing the episode and events that it's fun no matter what.
Many people on ponychan had already guessed the episode would be like this from just the teaser. Still, there were not that many different ways to deal with the episode that wouldn't lead to paradox.
Shidoshi

Postby Vaniver » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:24 am UTC

It's About Time thoughts while watching:
Spoiler:
Doctor Whooves laughing at the prospect of time travel? Take that, fanon!

"Hey, I got a nondescript warning from the future. Maybe we should do some basic maintenance!" Maybe you should do that all the time.

Big Mac! Your reputation for reliability is going to take a hit for this :(

Los Pegasus? Marvelous.

Fluttershy? You're rubbing Cerberus near his... oh my, that's not family friendly.

I am moderately concerned that Tartarus is a physical place, and that Twilight knows about it, and is willing to run there without accompaniment. (Also, the implication that Celestia is like the Greek Gods totally backs up the Tyrant Celestia view.)

Basic relativity on the chalkboard.

Apparently ponies sneaking around in catsuits is now a thing.

"Hey Twilight! Haven't seen you in a while. Let me open that for you." Marvelous.

Happy Tuesday?

Twilight... is not all that clever, is she?

[edit]I also really don't like it when time travel is introduced lightly. If there are time travel spells, why not use them to, say, warn about Discord's arrival? I suppose it's a children's show where not all that many bad things happen, but remember this from Harry Potter?

And you have the philosophical issues of "how did you get into this time loop where traveling backwards made you get access to the thing that let you travel backwards?"

Mediocre episode. "Don't worry too much," modulated by "don't push your problems off into the future," with a side of Twilight doing stupid things.
Last edited by Vaniver on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:38 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Vaniver

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:35 am UTC

Shidoshi wrote:
Spoiler:
In FPK it wasn't the prediction that made things happen. I don't see that much of a parallel to FPK.

Spoiler:
The prediction was about Twilight's reaction to Pinkie Sense. No Pinkie Sense = no doozy.

Vaniver wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Well, the Doctor can't talk about time travel to just anypony, now can he? When he was laughing he was probably thinking, "Play it cool. Other ponies are laughing, I laugh. Blend in. Play it cool."

The Scyphozoa

Re: Mine Diminutive Equus Ferus Caballus: Magic is MAGIC!

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:21 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
She's not a gypsy. She's a pastry chef. Those aren't even similar.

Vaniver wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Well he doesn't want to blow his cover now does he?

Anyway, I thought the episode was one of my favourite this series.

Spoiler:
HULK a massive fan of stable time loops though so it's not that surprising.

Also, MERRY TUESDAY!!!
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Re: Mine Diminutive Equus Ferus Caballus: Magic is Witchcraf

Postby Weeks » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:43 pm UTC

Loving the new thread title

Also I had a feeling y'all wouldn't like this episode. To me it feels a lot like I'm watching S1 in that it's not as fast paced or witty as any of the other S2 episodes.

It was kinda weird, but I think I'll have to watch it again to catch all the subtle details. And I love Solid Sparkle. :D
Last edited by Weeks on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Re: Mine Diminutive Equus Ferus Caballus: Witchcraft is Witc

Postby Game_boy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:49 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:Larson hadn't written any S2 episode until now

Apart from 1, 2, 4, 10 and 15 you mean?

I agree, this was a weaker episode (felt short and predictable), but there was nothing to complain about either. Was hoping for Twi solo song but couldn't expect that.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.
Game_boy

Re: Mine Diminutive Equus Ferus Caballus: Magic is Witchcraf

Postby Weeks » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:54 pm UTC

Game_boy wrote:

Thanks for your sarcasm
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Re: Mine Diminutive Equus Ferus Caballus: Witchcraft is Witc

Postby Game_boy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:28 am UTC

Weeks wrote:
Game_boy wrote:

Thanks for your sarcasm

?

You're statement would be correct if it was "Larson hadn't written any S2 episode until now, apart from 1, 2, 4, 10 and 15."
Game_boy

Re: My Little phony: Magic is Witchcraft!

Postby Mat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:26 am UTC

I loved this episode.
Spoiler:
Time travelling ponies
= win. We never did find out what happened with the scheduling problem though :/

Didn't think much of the fluttershy episode. :evil:
Mat

Re: I's Little phony: Magic be Witchcraft!

Postby Game_boy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:25 am UTC

So Lyra i-s called Lyra now.

Must we go through the Derpy thing again? Will Lyra turn out t-o be South Central African for someone in a wheelchair?
Game_boy

Re: I's Little phony: Witchcraft be Witchcraft!

Postby Vaniver » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:38 am UTC

Game_boy wrote:So Lyra i-s called Lyra now.

Must we go through the Derpy thing again? Will Lyra turn out t-o be South Central African for someone in a wheelchair?
Um, Derpy was called Derpy because of the associations with being bumbling and unintelligent. I don't see how Lyra is similar.

Vaniver

Postby Game_boy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:26 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:

Um, Derpy be'd called Derpy because of the associations with being bumbling and unintelligent. I don't see how Lyra be similar.

Use of a fanon name opens them up t-o legal trouble. Just like with Derpy, someone higher up will hear about this and get scared. There's no realistic chance of some-thing bad /actually/ happening (if any non-bronies complained about Derpy I imagine it was in the single digits range) but th-eir lawyers will force a reversal when they hear.
Game_boy

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:29 am UTC

The word "derp", I always thought, was related more to weird faces than intelligence. I'm sure someone made the connection to retardation, though.

Of course, Derpy in the Last Roundup demonstrated she was more than just clumsy; not realizing that it's a bad idea to jump on a lightning cloud in the middle of town, to me, shows outright cognitive deficiency. This seems to be a somewhat radical opinion, but it actually means that, even if you change her voice, eyes, and name, she's still "retarded". In the same way that untold hundreds of cartoon characters throughout time are, so I don't see why she should get changed any more than Patrick from Spongebob or Ed from Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy.

The Scyphozoa

Postby Shidoshi » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:58 am UTC

Where was this confirmed? I don't remember seeing/hearing it during the last episode.

Nvm, the wave 4 blind bag has Lyra Heartstrings. How amusing.
Though it seems to be rumor still and the ponies in that set are awfully colored. A Fluttershy that's completely yellow? Violet and 3-colored mane Luna? And I hate they are all either Rarity, Twilight Sparkle or Rainbow Dash recolors =P.
Shidoshi

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:08 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:The word "derp", I always thought, was related more to weird faces than intelligence. I'm sure someone made the connection to retardation, though.

The main use I see/hear is as an exclamation after having done something incredibly stupid (e.g. instead of Derpy's "I just don't know what went wrong"), again, there is a connotation with stupidity but usually in the action rather than the person; in fact most of the people I know who might say "derp" after doing something stupid (thus using the term about themselves) tend to be some of the more intelligent people. Of course, this could just be that they're generally geekier than average and so are more likely to use internet-speak IRL.
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby Weeks » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:25 am UTC

(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Postby Shidoshi » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:58 pm UTC

New episode of Friendship is Witchcraft. I NEED TO GET HOME SOONER, SUCKS BEING AT WORK!

Linkie link
Shidoshi

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:47 pm UTC

I just saw it. Pretty God Damn Awesome, as usual. It's Luna Eclipsed, though, so no Sweetiebot.

(I am never going to get tired of Sweetiebot. I want them to do all the CMC episodes.)

The Scyphozoa

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:12 pm UTC

Shidoshi wrote:New episode of Friendship is Witchcraft. I NEED TO GET HOME SOONER, SUCKS BEING AT WORK!

Linkie link

Buy some [cherries]!

At first I thought it wasn't as good but Molestia really turned it around for me. Luna as an angsty-teenager-y-type-character was pretty fun.

eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby Weeks » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:34 am UTC

Her intro was amazing.

Really the whole thing was amazing. It was almost on par with FiM itself.
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Postby Game_boy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:43 am UTC

Weeks wrote:Her intro was amazing.

Really the whole thing was amazing. It was almost on par with FiM itself.

-_-
Game_boy

Postby Weeks » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:52 am UTC

Fuck off.
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV Shows