MS Paint Adventures thread

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: MS Paint Adventures thread

Postby RetSpline » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:39 pm UTC

Aw man, and here I was pretty sure UU was going to end up being the Condesce :(
RetSpline

Postby Game_boy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:52 pm UTC

Hussie's fanart policy (Which I'm pretty sure is legal fantasy*) just managed to deprive me of $50 worth of commission that isn't even HS-related.

*If a work doesn't use the names, places or artwork of a copyright holder, they shouldn't have any claim.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.
Game_boy

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:11 am UTC

Pokéstuck: (warning, huge)
Spoiler:
Online Etymology Dictionary wrote:gaol:
see jail, you tea-sodden football hooligan.
Magnanimous

Postby Game_boy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:04 am UTC

No Rapidash for Equius I am disappoint.
Game_boy

Postby Joeldi » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:01 am UTC

Game_boy wrote:No Rapidash for Equius I am disappoint.

I was thinking how well put together the list was, but you're right, that is a GLARING oversight.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"
Joeldi

Postby Game_boy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:42 pm UTC

Despite wanting to dislike all future drunk Roxy text, I thought today's was quite good? (6471)
Game_boy

Postby Joeldi » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:55 am UTC

[s] Prince of Heart: Rise Up is my new favourite flash.

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"
Joeldi

Postby RetSpline » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:05 am UTC

I'm finding it pretty hard to dispute that, though my vote for Favorite Flash usually depends on what flash I've last seen. Do you prefer this most recent one over [S] Cascade, perchance? Only asking because in discussions of Best Flash I usually exclude Cascade because, in my opinion, it's far and away the best one. Regardless of it's inherent quality, however, I think it's hard to argue that it's pretty incomparable in relation to the other flashes.

In other news, I used to really not get jokes about people obsessively following package tracking online. But now I know that my Hero of Life zipper hoodie just made it to my city less than an hour ago and I'm so excited!I am a bit disappointed about the price tag on the things, though somewhat less than I expected. At $40 it's more expensive than any other piece of clothing I've every purchased for myself, but then clothing has never been something I've splurged on.
RetSpline

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:07 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:[s] Prince of Heart: Rise Up is my new favourite flash.

Agreed. That was... awesome...
Magnanimous

Postby Jorpho » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:02 am UTC

Good heavens, it was even comprehensible!

Could it be that posting page after page of tiresome chat logs is all just some clever means to tide the readership over while things such as this are being brewed?
Jorpho

Postby RetSpline » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:29 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:page after page of tiresome chat logs
I liked them :?
RetSpline

Postby Game_boy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:45 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Good heavens, it was even comprehensible!

Could it be that posting page after page of tiresome chat logs is all just some clever means to tide the readership over while things such as this are being brewed?

He definitely did this flash in the 5 days of downtime. Which was time he was supposed to be taking of from HS per his Tumblr but I guess not. He said he didn't even plan the Roxy flash, it just happened and he therefore must have made it in two days. The only conclusion is that he got really fast at making flashes ever since spending all that time on Cascade.

The chatlogs are necessary for characterisation so we care about them when the action happens, but I think he should have broken it up a lot more with some plot advancement before now because all at once they are boring, yes.
Game_boy

Postby Belial » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:49 pm UTC

RetSpline wrote:

You're not alone.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Jesse » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:29 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
RetSpline wrote:

You're not alone.

Seriously, phone the police.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:37 am UTC

Not sure exactly how I feel about the recent pages, but Jane's faces are definitely awesome.

Also: random fan theory about Jane.
Spoiler:
i dunno guys, something ain’t right with janey here! the way she’s talking is pretty suspicious.

she’s using eights, for starters:

GG: Ahahahah!
GG: Yeaaaaaaaah

and the way she’s talking in general just seems pretty dang familiar??

GG: Screw it!
GG: Ask him out.
GG: Just kill the suspense already.
GG: Become boyfriends and such.
GG: Have some babies!!!

i mean it just reminds me of a certain troll, with an ability for really excellent mind control. but it’s not like she’s appeared in the comic lately or anything, right.
Maybe alpha-Mindfang has some reason to keep Jane/Jake apart?
Magnanimous

Postby ameretrifle » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:34 am UTC

I've always liked the chatlogs more, but... okay, first off, I'm biased because I haaaaaate misunderstanding-based plots in a very visceral way, even when they're well-done and realistic. That means this current Jane/Jake stuff? Do not want.

The thing is... this seems backward, to me. We're jumping into all the relationship drama, as if we have a damn clue who these characters are yet. It seems like telling-not-showing to me, and the predictable ship-teasing isn't even frustrating anymore, just... more omg-shippers-troll-lol-lol on the troll pile. Of course, that might be because I don't really care a lot about these characters yet. They still seem awfully... contrived. Of course, technically every character in Homestuck was literally contrived, with the possible exception of Dad; but given how glib as fuck Homestuck is about its own backstory I find it hard to believe it's an artistic statement.

...I think that's the main thing that's getting to me, actually. Houses are destroyed, planets laid waste, timelines erased, characters murdered, universes annihilated... and it's plot, it's a backstory, it is discussed perhaps twice. It has an impact on the plot; how many times have we seen it have an impact on the characters? And you can say it's offscreen, you can say Dave and Rose totally had breakdowns for about ten minutes there, you can say trolls are aliens and carapaces "aren't ~real~" and everyone was engineered to play this game, you can say "just keep waiting, really it's coming in a few hundred pages!", but... the dissonance is really getting hard to take. :/

...pfft, ninja'd by the tumblr link I was going to share XD I think it's an interesting idea, though I don't know if I buy it, and I'm also not sure if that would be better because at least Jane isn't just randomly being a romcom idiot, or worse because oh god more ship-trolling ffffff.
ameretrifle
Vera

Postby Game_boy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:43 am UTC

I'm not into shipping at all, but I think it's just meant to be funny in a short term way. In the same set of pages we got an unexplained bot explosion and another cliffhanger so it's not like the comic is all shipping right now.
Game_boy

Postby Joeldi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:31 am UTC

I always thought the fact that the kids were too busy being kids to care about the end of the world was part of its charm. Although yes, it's very weird and very hard to believe there wouldn't be more freaking out, it's charming all the same.

How's everyone feeling about Bascostuck? I try and refrain from star-fucking, but it's very interesting to see a public figure (especially one whose biggest work of note is huge with the Homestuck fandom AND one whose character has been referenced in the comic) to stumble into this thing, get mired in it's complexities and come to enjoy it. I hope he keeps live-ish-blogging it.
Last edited by Joeldi on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Joeldi

Postby Jorpho » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:57 am UTC

So, in regards to the [second]most recent update, did Jane actually have a scarf at some point way back in the beginning that disappeared? I cannot recall.
Joeldi wrote:How's everyone feeling about Bascostuck?
I know not to what you refer.
Jorpho

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:16 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:I always thought the fact that the kids were too busy being kids to care about the end of the world was part of its charm. Although yes, it's very weird and very hard to believe there wouldn't be more freaking out, it's charming all the same.
I'd appreciate a little more character development... But yeah, especially in the first few acts Homestuck was all about being incredibly silly and awesome, like Problem Sleuth; the drama/angst is a relatively new addition. If Andrew went back and revised the beginning, I bet there would be a lot more freaking out.

On that note, it was a little odd that they were completely okay with a reality-altering video game. I would've liked Rose to think she was just manipulating a virtual version of John's house, then being surprised when it actually happened... Or on the other hand, maybe this is a world where video games are completely different. Also, it might be interesting to learn more about the other people who played the Sburb Beta. It was implied that a lot of people played it, but we really only saw their GameFAQS pages.
Jorpho wrote:
Joeldi wrote:How's everyone feeling about Bascostuck?
I know not to what you refer.
Dante Basco (a minor celebrity, apparently he did voice acting things) started reading and tweeting about it. For a while, you could see HI DANTE in the header on MSPA. :P
Magnanimous

Postby Joeldi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:26 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Dante Basco (a minor celebrity, apparently he did voice acting things) started reading and tweeting about it. For a while, you could see HI DANTE in the header on MSPA. :P

He's minor in the real world, but I thought he was pretty serious business for the generation of geeky young people who spend a lot of the time on the internet and know what "Fandom" or "Shipping" mean.

Or to be clearer, he's Prince Firelord Zuko from Avatar.

Joeldi

Postby ameretrifle » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:13 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Joeldi wrote:I always thought the fact that the kids were too busy being kids to care about the end of the world was part of its charm. Although yes, it's very weird and very hard to believe there wouldn't be more freaking out, it's charming all the same.
I'd appreciate a little more character development... But yeah, especially in the first few acts Homestuck was all about being incredibly silly and awesome, like Problem Sleuth; the drama/angst is a relatively new addition. If Andrew went back and revised the beginning, I bet there would be a lot more freaking out.
Yeah, but... just because no one reacted to their house being teleported to a weird new universe and fighting video game things and maybe meteors striking places (they were really too busy to look into it), doesn't really mean it would be out of character for them to react to the definite annihilation of everyone they ever knew and everyone they didn't. Pretty different things, imo. If you're raising the stakes with the plot, it just feels weird to me if you don't raise the stakes with the characters too.
Joeldi wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:Dante Basco (a minor celebrity, apparently he did voice acting things) started reading and tweeting about it. For a while, you could see HI DANTE in the header on MSPA. :P

He's minor in the real world, but I thought he was pretty serious business for the generation of geeky young people who spend a lot of the time on the internet and know what "Fandom" or "Shipping" mean.

Or to be clearer, he's Prince Firelord Zuko from Avatar.

As well as, perhaps more relevantly, Rufio.
ameretrifle
Vera

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:17 am UTC

I'm assuming Hussie started out expecting this to be more like Problem Sleuth, then realized you can't have two-dimensional characters and real plot in the same story.

Speaking of Problem Sleuth...
Spoiler:
Roxy appears to be in the unplugged window dimension, which never ends well.
Magnanimous

Postby Game_boy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:28 pm UTC

Yep, Hussie can still hide stuff in plain sight. Good to know.
Game_boy

Postby ameretrifle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:47 am UTC

For anyone else who couldn't figure out what happened.

Hell, even if you were more perceptive than me, I bet the collection of foreshadowing is worth a read. XD
ameretrifle
Vera

Postby Joeldi » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:06 am UTC

ameretrifle wrote:For anyone else who couldn't figure out what happened.

Hell, even if you were more perceptive than me, I bet the collection of foreshadowing is worth a read. XD

What does she mean when she talks about the 'colour/imperial unit' theme? I get 'Yellow Yard', but what's the counter-part that has anything to do with the flood?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and 'Red Miles' is a thing too

Joeldi

Postby Game_boy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:11 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:
ameretrifle wrote:For anyone else who couldn't figure out what happened.

What does she mean when she talks about the 'colour/imperial unit' theme? I get 'Yellow Yard', but what's the counter-part that has anything to do with the flood?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and 'Red Miles' is a thing too

The site is claiming "blue fathoms" but I'm not seeing any hint or reference in the text so I think he just made it up.

Also this update (A6I2). I don't even. And it was foreshadowed both in the comic and Tumblr but still.
Game_boy

Postby ameretrifle » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:02 am UTC

I think "Black Inches" was a thing at some point too. But yeah.

Bluh, I am at the point where I have to trawl tumblr to figure out what is going on and why it matters. I did not ever think I would fall so low.

Honestly, I still don't quite get why the latest update is a thing, which is not making me feel better about my intelligence...
Spoiler:
So he's cosplaying and Spades Slick and the butler are there right? And Ms Paint? Is it "SPADES LIVES" Oh me yarm, or "IS HUSSIE UU" Oh me yarm, or something else I'm missing? I guess it'd make sense if it's a Slick thing, because I just have never been invested in him whatsoever; and I find it hard to believe the Hussie thing isn't more trolling-by-cosplay, though hell, he's gone meta before. ...He's still not UU.
I just see a bit of a hullabaloo and I don't get why?
ameretrifle
Vera

Postby Game_boy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:13 am UTC

It's the Slick thing, and it's because he followed through with this joke from 3 months ago in a literal and absurd way:

Dear Mister Andrew Hussie Sir, Will we ever see Spades Slick again? Is he okay? I will spend countless nights up, worried about him.

I am nursing him back to health in my house, like a baby bird that fell from its nest too young.

http://mspandrew.tumblr.com/post/12680094125/answers

Apart from that I think people just get excited when Andrew-character shows up at all and obsess about any tiny detail of his panels.
Game_boy

Postby ameretrifle » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:50 am UTC

Aaaaah, okay then. Thanks! :D
ameretrifle
Vera

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:56 am UTC

So someone added up the trolls' typing quirks...
Spoiler:
I... what. Just what. Son of a bitch. I'm continually awestruck by the sheer amount of minuscule details that make up this comic.
Magnanimous

Postby Game_boy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:17 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I... what. Just what. Son of a bitch. I'm continually awestruck by the sheer amount of minuscule details that make up this comic.[/spoiler]

It c-an't be deliberate. Just c-an't be.
Game_boy

Postby Joeldi » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:08 am UTC

Today's Memo Update was the most I've laughed at MSPA in a while.
Spoiler:
Naawwwwhr, Karkat really is starting to mellow out a bit. Cutest thing ever.

Joeldi

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:55 am UTC

I am finding Karkat sharing emotions with his past/future unjustifiably adorable. Maybe it's just because we haven't seen any trolls in a while.
Game_boy wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:I... what. Just what. Son of a bitch. HULK continually awestruck by the sheer amount of minuscule details that make up this comic.[/spoiler]
It c-an't be deliberate. Just c-an't be.

For at least 2 of the multiple digit numbers, the order is arbitrary. Ferferi's quirk could be 83 instead of 38 making the result 657, and Terezi's 431 could also be written 134, 143, 413, 314, or 341.

bwahaha The
Spoiler:
is now cannon.

It's only a matter of time.
cephalopod9

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:01 am UTC

The past week's updates have been very entertaining. :) (And Dave/Terezi/WV making a can town was a little adorable.)
Magnanimous

Postby Jorpho » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:05 am UTC

Gah! Why are they on a meteor moving between the universes? I thought they needed Jade's magical powers for that!
Jorpho

Postby ameretrifle » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:12 am UTC

Sollux. He has psychokinesis. Why his ancestor was the Empress's engine-slave. And why he's like half-dead or something now. Was mostly in the flash, but might be explained starting here? I don't really want to reread the whole intermission, I admit XD See here and here for wiki pages, anyway.
ameretrifle
Vera

Postby Jorpho » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:31 am UTC

ameretrifle wrote:And why he's like half-dead or something now.
Well, yeah, if he's half-dead or something now... Ahgh, why do I bother?

At least the current round of exposition is reasonably to-the-point.
Jorpho

Postby Belial » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:56 pm UTC

He's half dead but all he needed to do was give them a push.

That whole newton's first law thing.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby ameretrifle » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:34 pm UTC

What I'm confused about now is, if the "alpha" kids/guardians are the babies from John's ectobiology session, how the hell are the original kids the product of the exact same meteors? There was just a conversation about baby-meteor-Dave killing Maplehoof, and the meteors were diverted to entirely different timeframes; so they went *both* to their "intended"/"original" destinations *and* to the new parallel universe...??

...Pfft. I keep forgetting. When it comes to temporal paradoxes and causality and shit, Homestuck universes and their laws are basically Gamzee. MoThErFuCkIn' MiRaClEs AlL aRoUnD, bRo. ChIlLaX aNd TaStE tHe SoPoR sLiMe.

until sburb happens.

AND EVERYONE IS MOTHERFUCKIN' DEAD.

honk.

HONK.

...Ahem. That's. Actually pretty much exactly how the universe in Homestuck works. If >Gamzee: Fondly regard motherfucking miracles. is ever a thing, you heard it here first.

...Anyway. Also an interesting implication is, how do Dirk and Roxy even know who their 'parents' are? They lived in Jane and Jake's time, apparently, so unless they somehow managed to live 400 years (not out of the question >_>), they can't ever have known them. Did they guess? Were they told? How are they alive, anyway?
ameretrifle
Vera

PreviousNext

Return to Comics/Graphic Novels