Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Postby ahammel » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:10 am UTC

Drinking a bottle of Rochefort 10.

Oh. God. Yes.

Man, I've got a great liquor store literally around the corner and I'm two blocks away from a Belgian beergeek bar. I really have no excuse not to try all the Trappists. New life goal.
I also answer to 'Alex'

YES, IT'S SPACEY-WACEY!
ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Re: Bud Light is proof that God loves us and wants us to be

Postby roband » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:00 pm UTC

I could see this particular part of mod madness being upsetting for some :P
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger

Postby folkhero » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:44 pm UTC

roband wrote:I could see this particular part of Puppetmaster madness being upsetting for some :P

I know. Everyone knows that Natural Light is the adult beverage for classy, sophisticated folks like me.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...
folkhero

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:43 pm UTC

Troll troll troll, troll puppetmasters!

They're really into trolls.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Telchar » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:24 am UTC

Had an IPA at Deschuettes (sp?) in downtown Portland last night that didn't bludgeon me to death with hops, which I appreciated. There porter is pretty good too but I don't drink porters enough to compare it.

I also finally had the Midas beer from DFH. Not bad.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.
Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby jobriath » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:15 pm UTC

roband wrote:I could see this particular part of Puppetmaster madness being upsetting for some :P

The word substitutions are absolutely made for this thread. I'm laughing his arse off.
jobriath

Re: Bud Light is proof that Odin loves us and wants us to be

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:45 am UTC

Oh, I've bought a six-pack of Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye IPA and been drinking it (of course). My curiosity finally got the best of me. I don't really know how to distinguish what's to do with rye and what's not to do with rye, but it's a decent IPA at least.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Re: Bud Light is proof that Odin loves us and wants us to be

Postby mercutio_stencil » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:53 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Butts, I've bought a six-pack of Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye IPA and been drinking it (of course). My curiosity finally got the best of me. I don't really know how to distinguish what's to do with rye and what's not to do with rye, but it's a decent IPA at least.

Buy a bottle of the Bulleit rye whiskey, that should give you a pretty good impression of what rye is supposed to taste like. I don't remember it coming out to strongly in the Ruthless, but it was still a rather tasty beverage.
mercutio_stencil

Postby mosc » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:26 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:Man, I've got a great liquor store literally around the corner and I'm two blocks away from a Belgian beergeek bar. I really have no excuse not to try all the Trappists. New life goal.

6/7 are pretty easy. The last one will take some doing...
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby ahammel » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:39 pm UTC

mosc wrote:
ahammel wrote:Man, I've got a great liquor store literally around the corner and I'm two blocks away from a Belgian beergeek bar. I really have no excuse not to try all the Trappists. New life goal.

6/7 are pretty easy. The last one will take some doing...

Yeah, looks like Westvleteren will require travel. Oh well, three down...
I also answer to 'Alex'

YES, IT'S SPACEY-WACEY!
ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby Dark567 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:47 pm UTC

mosc wrote:6/7 are pretty easy. The last one will take some doing...
Huh, I have had all seven without realizing it. Granted Westvleteren was very much planned, but I have inadvertently had all the others.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Whitekiboko » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:30 am UTC

ahammel wrote:Yeah, looks like Westvleteren will require travel. Oh well, three down...

No, just a buttload of cash later this year.

http://www.brewbound.com/news/westvlete ... ted-in-u-s
Whitekiboko

Postby Whitekiboko » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:32 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:Huh, I have had all seven without realizing it. Granted Westvleteren was very much planned, but I have inadvertently had all the others.

I'm curious when Mont des Cats will get their own equipment.
Whitekiboko

Postby ahammel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:42 am UTC

Whitekiboko wrote:
ahammel wrote:Yeah, looks like Westvleteren will require travel. Oh well, three down...

No, just a buttload of cash later this year.

http://www.brewbound.com/news/westvlete ... ted-in-u-s

Still requires travel for me: Shelton Bros. (the lucky distributers) don't operate in Canada, so far as I can tell. Poking around, though, it seems that it's sometimes sold legitimately in Vancouver as well, so I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled.

It'll be 4/7 tonight: just picked up a bottle of Westmalle Dubbel.
I also answer to 'Alex'

YES, IT'S SPACEY-WACEY!
ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby mosc » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:07 pm UTC

I'd also recommend St. Bernardus. It's not techincally a Trappist Bier after they standardized the requirements in the 90s but besides the religious meanings, it's pretty much the same quality. I particularly like the Triple, which is a very unique "medium" belgian style. It's much lighter than the quads like the Rocheford 10 you drank yet much richer and deeper than the belgian blonds (leffe, or "blue moon" style if you know what that is).

And as I commented on here before, I failed my taste test differentiating Westvleteren from the much more commonly available Delerium Nocturnum. Even as a card-carrying beer snob, I could not correctly identify which was which. The difference is very slight. That's not a knock, I think Nocturnum is one of the very best beers in the world.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.
mosc

Postby Whitekiboko » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:19 pm UTC

Bernardus used to be called St. Sixtus.

I like doing side by sides (of the same number) of the two breweries when I can get my hands on Westy...
Whitekiboko

Postby ahammel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:18 am UTC

Tuborg or not Tuborg?

Not Tuborg. That is all.

Digging into an Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock instead. It's fuckin' awesome.
I also answer to 'Alex'

YES, IT'S SPACEY-WACEY!
ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby Belial » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:21 pm UTC

So I had a chance to try Dogfish Head's Ta Henket the other day. Which is beer brewed in the ancient egyptian fashion involving fermenting a bunch of loaves of emmer-wheat bread in various stages of baking by way of native wild yeast.

It was delicious. Apparently kemetic beer tasted a lot like a belgian. Of course, this version was minus the chunks that the real stuff had, but even so.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby mercutio_stencil » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:22 am UTC

Belial wrote:So I had a chance to try Dogfish Head's Ta Henket the other day. Which is beer brewed in the ancient egyptian fashion involving fermenting a bunch of loaves of emmer-wheat bread in various stages of baking by way of native wild yeast.

It was delicious. Apparently kemetic beer tasted a lot like a belgian. Of course, this version was minus the chunks that the real stuff had, but even so.

That's impressive, I've heard nothing but bad things about the original Ninkasi Ale.

http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/pubs/nn ... civil.html
mercutio_stencil

Postby clockworkmonk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:29 pm UTC

Oh the pleasures of living in Austin right now. The Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter is currently available.
418 I'm a teapot
clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby Роберт » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:03 pm UTC

That looks delicious. Have you had many 512 beers in general? I want to know if that's a "must check out" brewery for my area. The had several that sounded good.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:05 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:Tuborg or not Tuborg?

Not Tuborg. That is all.
Tuborg is a nice clean, refreshing lager. Nothing wrong with it.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby ahammel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:13 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
ahammel wrote:Tuborg or not Tuborg?

Not Tuborg. That is all.
Tuborg is a nice clean, refreshing lager. Nothing wrong with it.

I thought it was pretty meh. A little watery and corn-syrup-y. I'd much prefer an Urquell or, better still, one of these. All the same price at my liquor store.
I also answer to 'Alex'

YES, IT'S SPACEY-WACEY!
ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby roband » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:16 pm UTC

Not a great lager IMO. Not that I'm a massive conness.. coneiss.. Not that I'm someone who knows anything about lager. But it's only slightly better than Carlsberg or Carling in my eyes.
roband

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:49 pm UTC

And it's only slightly more expensive than Carlsberg; it's to be expected.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth

Postby roband » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:53 pm UTC

True. It's still not drinkable :P
roband

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:15 pm UTC

Well, it's certainly not worth shipping across the Atlantic. It's a great example of the style though.
bigglesworth

Postby Роберт » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:07 pm UTC

Just tried a regular 512 Pecan Porter. It was good. Now I want the Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Postby Dark567 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:09 pm UTC

Belial wrote:So I had a chance to try Dogfish Head's Ta Henket the other day. Which is beer brewed in the ancient egyptian fashion involving fermenting a bunch of loaves of emmer-wheat bread in various stages of baking by way of native wild yeast.

Interesting. The two Dogfish Head's Ancient Ales I have had were pretty bad(Midas' Touch was one). I figured we have gotten a lot better at brewing in a couple thousand years. I'll have to try that one though.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue May 01, 2012 4:45 am UTC

Am I the only one who thinks Rochefort 10 is too sweet? Or most quads, for that matter? Generally speaking, I can't go much sweeter than Delirium Nocturnum before I wish I was just drinking a strong Belgian pale instead.
TheAmazingRando

Postby Belial » Tue May 01, 2012 12:46 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:

Interesting. The two Dogfish Head's Ancient Ales I have had were pretty bad(Midas' Touch was one). I figured we have gotten a lot better at brewing in a couple thousand years. I'll have to try that one though.

Interesting. When taking recommendations from me, bear in mind that I liked Midas Touch, though it was an interesting flavor to get my head around because it didn't quite correspond to any style I was familiar with. Same with Theobroma (the ancient south american offering): I don't expect a beer that light to taste that chocolatey, it was just strange. Ta Henket is similar: it echos of a few different styles (including the aforementioned belgian taste from the yeast) but doesn't quite fit.

Which is why I like that series. It presents a lot of stuff that doesn't quite fit with the somewhat standardized and commonplace styles we've developed over the years. The only one so far that has utterly failed to make an impression on me was Cafe Jiahu. I wasn't angry at it, but I also just don't really remember it.

I think the whole "time passed, therefore we got better at it" thing is true in most respects. But in some cases, we didn't improve along all axes, we just changed along some: the reason we don't use emmer in beer anymore has nothing to do with barley making better beer (though that may also be true depending on taste) and has everything to do with emmer being a pain in the ass to grow. Which is why it's nearly extinct now compared to more commercialized grains: civilization moved over to things that were easier to cultivate because having enough bread to feed your populace is pretty important. And most pre-industrial brewers brewed with what was on hand from food production. So barley and wheat. None of which has anything to do with whether Emmer tastes good or interesting; in my experience it does. Same goes for the difference between using gruit vs hops as a beer-preservative. We switched to hops on the way out of the middle ages because it was easier to grow one plant than to use a mixture of herbs (and because it preserved better than that mixture), not necessarily because hops made better beer. (Though in this case, I agree with the change. Gruit beers taste interesting, but I wouldn't make a habit of them).

So I mean, some choices were made because they made better beer, some were made because they made more beer, or easier beer. Kindof like the macros using rice as filler.

One note on Ta Henket is that it's a lot weaker than most beer I'm used to. I think it was 2 or 3% ABV. Which just goes to the fact that there is a reason we use the yeasts we use in modern brewing. So in that respect, yeah, progress = better.

Well, also, the fact that we've developed the ability to filter out the soggy, bitter clumps of fermented bread. I really can't overstate that. Shit is nasty.
Belial

Postby bigglesworth » Tue May 01, 2012 1:56 pm UTC

Is 5%+ always better than 2-3.5%?
bigglesworth

Postby Bakemaster » Tue May 01, 2012 2:50 pm UTC

Big difference between 2% and 3.5% but I don't think every beer has to be 5% or stronger. I'd be incredibly skeptical about anything below 3% actually being good, but hey, that's why the almighty Optimus invented the taste test.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby mosc » Tue May 01, 2012 9:06 pm UTC

Lower alcohol almost by design means less fermentation, less flavor transfer from the solid ingredients into the resultant liquid. Less taste. 3.5% is about as low as beer gets with a flavor we still would call "beer". 2.0% is going to taste like watery beer or like beer does when you chemically remove some alcohol (Non-Alcoholic beers). 2.0% would be approaching the line of not being encumbering as well. Not sure exactly where that line is but 2% is probably pretty close. In other words, you would be getting enough water such that the alcohol would have no effect on you no matter what quantity you drank.
mosc

Postby bigglesworth » Tue May 01, 2012 11:36 pm UTC

I guess I drink what would otherwise be classed as a 'light beer' (for its refreshing taste) as a 2.3% Belgian lager from Sainsbury's.
bigglesworth

Postby Belial » Wed May 02, 2012 11:56 am UTC

I was misremembering anyway, looks like it's 4.5%

Which, you know, is still pretty weak compared to the stouts and barleywines I tend to drink, but is not the weirdly low ABV I was remembering for some reason.
Belial

Postby Azrael » Wed May 02, 2012 2:23 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Lower alcohol almost by design means less fermentation, less flavor transfer from the solid ingredients into the resultant liquid. Less taste. 3.5% is about as low as beer gets with a flavor we still would call "beer". 2.0% is going to taste like watery beer or like beer does when you chemically remove some alcohol (Non-Alcoholic beers).

There's an interesting resurgence with some craft brewers of the biere de table style. You'd be surprised at just how good those styles can be.
Azrael
Unintentionally Intoxicated

Postby jobriath » Wed May 02, 2012 3:16 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Lower alcohol almost by design means less fermentation, less flavor transfer from the solid ingredients into the resultant liquid. Less taste.

Lower alcohol content means less fermentation, but I don't think it means less contact between the mash and the liquor. An ale I helped brew (in a microbrewery! class!) sparged the mash in one step then sent the liquor to the fermentation vessel. Fermentation could have been of any length, resulting in a wide range of alcohol contents, all for the same amount of mash-contact.
jobriath

Postby Azrael » Wed May 02, 2012 4:40 pm UTC

Well, yeah. If you mix up the specific steps of brewing, like how the grain mash is strained/filtered off prior to fermentation, you can make all sorts of bad assertions.
Azrael
Unintentionally Intoxicated

Postby Dream » Wed May 02, 2012 10:56 pm UTC

3-3.5% is still very common in bitter. One of my favourite beers right now, Fyne Ales Jarl, is 3.8, and has all the flavour and palate weight of a higher gravity beer. It could be <3.5% and still be totally decent.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.
Dream
WINNING

PreviousNext

Return to Food