One sentence in the languages you know

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

One sentence in the languages you know

Postby nike » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:54 am UTC

Hey there,

amazed to see the topic I opened over a year ago is still discussed... back with an easier project. This time, I have a friend who's planning to come to Germany and I've started to send him texts every day asking just that - "When are you coming to Germany?"
A couple of days back I started to vary the language I ask in, until I ran out and started to collect from friends and classmates.
I've got these so far, but I'm going to need a couple more in order not to repeat a language before he finally gets here (like Feb 25), so if you speak anything besides

Arabic (classical)
Chinese
Danish
Dutch
German (duh)
German Sign Language
Esperanto
French
Greek (modern)
Hebrew (modern)
Hungarian
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Latin
Lithuanian
Nahuatl
Norwegian
Russian
Swedish
Spanish
Turkish

I would love to know how you say "When are you coming to Germany?" (As in "finally??") . If it's required information for the the translation, I am in Germany, he isn't, and he's male.
Oh, and languages spoken in Pakistan (Urdu, Punjabi, Sindhi etc.) would be especially welcome!
Enjoy! And thanks in advance.
nike

Re: One sentence in the languages you know

Postby tesseraktik » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:17 pm UTC

Klingon:

ghorgh DoyIchlan Dapaw.
"when? Germany (you-it)-arrive"

Remember not to change any lower-case letters to capitals or vice-versa, as Romanized Klingon is "case-sensitive" (for example, yesterday I misread jup vIvoqbogh ("a friend I trust") as jup vIvoQbogh, which means "a friend I choked").

Attaching an image of the text in the Klingon writing system pIqaD (although that's a bit hard to text).

Lojban:
In the interest of over-representing conlangs in this thread, here's the text in Lojban:

do klama le dotygu'e ca ma
"you go the Germany [present] [what]"

My Lojban is far from perfect, but that should be right. If this is not the first sentence of a conversation, add .i to the beginning if it's a continuation of a topic, and ni'o if you're introducing a new topic.
Attachments
ghorgh DoyIchlan Dapaw.png
ghorgh DoyIchlan Dapaw.png (1.89 KiB) Viewed 8768 times
ni'o mi nelci le zirpu sovmabrnornitorinku
Spoiler:
++$_ wrote:What's a "degree"?

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/
tesseraktik

Postby Jplus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:10 pm UTC

Unfortunately I can't help you, however I have a slightly off-topic question: how do you send a text message in sign language?
Feel free to call me Julian. J+ is just an abbreviation.
Image coding and xkcd combined
Jplus

Postby Nogg » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:51 pm UTC

Portuguese:

Quando você virá para a Alemanha?
Nogg

Postby nike » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

Jplus wrote:Unfortunately I can't help you, however I have a slightly off-topic question: how do you send a text message in sign language?

you just send the gloss :D
nike

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:16 pm UTC

Not one of the languages you requested, but here's the Na'vi:

nga zìya'u txoitslan pehrr
You going-to-come Germany when
When are you coming to Germany

Also, I think the Spanish would be:

¿cuándo vendrás a Alemania?

Although that probably sounds a bit foreign, it's been a while since I did any proper Spanish.
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby tesseraktik » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:29 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Not one of the languages you requested, but here's the Na'vi:

Actually, he requested all languages except those listed, so lena'vi fits the bill perfectly. Qapla'! :)
Spoiler:

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/
tesseraktik

Postby dhokarena56 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:50 am UTC

Why are you missing Catalan?

Quan vindràs a l'Alemanya?
Come join Dadapedia- the open-source Dadaist novel that anyone can edit.
dhokarena56

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:21 am UTC

tesseraktik wrote:

Actually, he requested all languages except those listed, so lena'vi fits the bill perfectly. Qapla'! :)

*keystyokx* I guess the Spanish wasn't needed then.
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby nike » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:33 pm UTC

dhokarena56 wrote:Why are you missing Catalan?

Quan vindràs a l'Alemanya?

Because I'd totally forgotten that I have friends who speak it. Seeing your pic, PIE would rock! Although the Germany bit might be a problem. (I guess "people's place" might do).
nike

Postby Gigano » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:45 pm UTC

Afrikaans

Wanneer kom jy eens na Duitsland?
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.
Gigano

Postby Maralais » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:58 pm UTC

The Turkish would be "Almanya'ya ne zaman geliyorsun?", and the French would be "Quand est-ce que tu vas venir en allemand?"(though I'm uncertain)
Maralais

Postby DianaDiana89 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 pm UTC

you can also say in romanian Cand vii in Germania?
i forgot how to say in japanese ..
DianaDiana89

Postby Nagikami » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:16 pm UTC

"Cathain a thiocfaidh tú go dtí an Ghearmáin?" should be the Irish, I think
Nagikami

Postby tesseraktik » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:12 am UTC

Thanks to a huge amount of help from Twitter user @Quenya101, I can now provide a Quenya version:

Mana i lú lelyuvatyë Liënórenna?
What the time go-future-you People-land-to?

For anyone interested, I'm attaching a Tengwar transcription (generated using this online Tengwar Transcriber).
[@Quenya101 points out to me that due to a slight problem with the font, one of the tehtar under the last symbol in the fourth word is barely visible; there should be two dots, not just one.]

The word used for Germany here is Liënórë, declined as a destination to Liënórenna. Literally, it's "People-land" or "People-country", owing to the roots of the name Deutschland.
I've gotta say, I really like the ring of it :)
Attachments
tengwar When are you coming to Germany.png
Tengwar transcription for the Quenya phrase "Mana i lú lelyuvatyë Liënórenna?" ("When are you coming to Germany?", translated by myself with a LOT of help from @Quenya101).
tengwar When are you coming to Germany.png (1.49 KiB) Viewed 8548 times
Last edited by tesseraktik on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:36 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:

tesseraktik

Postby Eugo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:24 am UTC

nike wrote:Hey there,

amazed to see the topic I opened over a year ago is still discussed... back with an easier project. This time, I have a friend who's planning to come to Germany and I've started to send him texts every day asking just that - "When are you coming to Germany?"

Serbian: Kad dolaziš u Nemačku? / Кад долазиш у Немачку?
To make it "when are you finally coming": Kad ćeš već doći u Nemačku?

Croatian: replace Nemačka with Njemačka.
United we stand politically corrected, divided we fall in love
Eugo

Postby nike » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:04 pm UTC

Thank you so much, @everyone who's helped! I think I've got exactly the amount of languages I need right now, but I'm a linguist after all and I'd appreciate any other contribution!
Thanks especially for all non-indo-european translations. After too much PIE, everything just looks the same to you :wink:
nike

Postby nike » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:38 pm UTC

tesseraktik wrote:

Also, I love how I can report to text someone one and the same question every single day for over a month and still be considered male.
(Not saying that I am, or am not!) Or maybe it's only that I prefer this interpretation to that of a "generic masculine".
nike

Postby tesseraktik » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:17 pm UTC

nike wrote:Also, I love how I can report to text someone one and the same question every single day for over a month and still be considered male.
(Not saying that I am, or am not!) Or maybe it's only that I prefer this interpretation to that of a "generic masculine".
The Language Council of Sweden has approved the use of "hen" as a gender-neutral third-person pronoun*; I wish English had that, as well :P

*Took'em long enough. The Klingons have had one for decades, at least!

Edit: I get it to Rhaeshvojinaan fini asshekh yer ajadae? in Dothraki, but that's very, very uncertain.
Spoiler:

tesseraktik

Postby xh'eishx'wyaxyatee » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:52 am UTC

In Russian: Когда вы приехали в Германию/Когда ты приехал(а) в Германию? (Kogda vy priyekhali v Germaniyu/Kogda ty priyekhal[a] v Germaniyu?). The first phrase is for a more formal question; the second, an informal one.
xh'eishx'wyaxyatee

Postby hetas » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:05 pm UTC

Finnish: Milloin tulet käymään Saksassa?
When are going to visit Germany?

You could also say "Milloin tulet Saksaan?", when are you coming to Germany but this could sound a bit ... abrupt?.
hetas

Postby tesseraktik » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:38 pm UTC

Dothraki update:

@gussvenin on Twitter (who knows a lot more about Dothraki than I do) has suggested the following wording to me:

Affin yer ajadi Rhaeshvojinaan? - When will you come to the People's land?
Spoiler:

tesseraktik

Postby Amie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:01 am UTC

Hindi:
Tum Germany aakhir kab aa rahé ho? (Can be apt for both formal/informal relationships)
Tu aakhir Germany kab aa raha hai? (Informal. Used among close friends)
Aap aakhir Germany kab aa rahé ho? (Very formal)

Punjabi (best guess):
Tussi kadon Germany aa rahé ho?
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.
Amie

Postby hni » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:45 pm UTC

Hindi:
Tum Germany aakhir kab aa rahé ho? (Can be apt for both formal/informal relationships)
Tu aakhir Germany kab aa raha hai? (Informal. Used among close friends)
Aap aakhir Germany kab aa rahé ho? (Very formal)

Actually, Gernamy in Hindi/Urdu is 'Almania' (borrowed from Arabic, and sometimes considered archaic, as Hindi/Urdu speakers these days are exceptionally lazy and mix every sentence with some English, but for a pure Hindi/Urdu sentence, use 'Almania')

'Aap aakhir Germany kab aa rahé ho?', the 'ho' should be 'hain', with the n pronounced nasally.

And 'aakhir' by itself doesn't work as 'finally', it means last. The correct phrase for 'finally' is 'bil-aakhir', lifted completely from Arabic, where it means 'in the end'.

Furthermore, the sentences given all imply that he hasn't yet made plans for going to Germany, the more appropriate sentence would use the verb 'to reach/arrive' (Pohonchna), rather than 'to come' (Aana).

So, considering everything above, the best sentence to use would be:
1. 'Tu Almania kab pohonch raha hai?' If you're quite close friends.
[too | ul (as in hull) maan (like 'man' in a Jamaican accent) ee (short) aa | cub | po (like 'pot' without the t) hon (like 'horn' in a really posh British accent, or 'fawn' with an h) ch | ra (same vowel as 'maan', but short) haa | hai (ai is like the e in 'hell', but long)]

2. 'Tum Almania kab pohonch rahé ho?' If you're not so close/unsure and want to err on the side of politeness.
[tum (I can't think of ANY equivalent in Enligish, maybe like a short version of the German 'ü') | ul maan ee aa | cub| po hon ch | ra hey | hoe] (All pronunciations are the same as above, except where changed).

Written Urdu:
1. تم المانیہ کب پہونچ رہے ہو؟
2. تو المانیہ کب پہونچ رہا ہے؟
hni

Postby Amie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:09 am UTC

hni wrote:And 'aakhir' by itself doesn't work as 'finally', it means last. The correct phrase for 'finally' is 'bil-aakhir', lifted completely from Arabic, where it means 'in the end'.

Furthermore, the sentences given all imply that he hasn't yet made plans for going to Germany, the more appropriate sentence would use the verb 'to reach/arrive' (Pohonchna), rather than 'to come' (Aana).

"Aakhir kab" would make it to mean, "Just when are you coming to Germany?" which implies, "When are you finally just coming over here?"
"Pohonch rahe ho" would make the sentence to mean "When are you arriving?" which when spoken in Hindi, makes it sound like the recipient of that question not far away actually going out there... like they've booked the tickets and then you're just discussing the arrival/departure schedules or something.
Amie

Postby hni » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:18 am UTC

Amie wrote:
hni wrote:And 'aakhir' by itself doesn't work as 'finally', it means last. The correct phrase for 'finally' is 'bil-aakhir', lifted completely from Arabic, where it means 'in the end'.

"Aakhir kab" would make it to mean, "Just when are you coming to Germany?" which implies, "When are you finally just coming over here?"
"Pohonch rahe ho" would make the sentence to mean "When are you arriving?" which when spoken in Hindi, makes it sound like the recipient of that question not far away actually going out there... like they've booked the tickets and then you're just discussing the arrival/departure schedules or something.

'Aakhir kab' just doesn't sound right, maybe 'aakhir mein' would work, but it still doesn't sound correct to me.

And by reading the topic, we can deduce that this friend has in fact booked his tickets and set an arrival date.
hni

Postby Amie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:56 am UTC

I thought that it was precisely because he hadn't that the OP has been sending him messages everyday asking when he would do so.
Amie

Postby Scales » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

There're dozens of ways to ask in Ancient Greek, and I'm no expert on it. Here's one I like:

τήν Γερμανίαν εἰς ἐπει βαινείς;
ten Germanian eis epei baineis?
accusative-Germany into when you-will-walk

Any of those words can be put in any order you prefer except that "την" must directly proceed "Γερμανια". And, yeah, the verb isn't strictly correct, but it's not wrong. It's poetic :) (Note: the actual verb come/go is hella irregular and this was easier to conjugate).
Scales

Postby levantis » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:26 pm UTC

Latvian: Kad tu nāksi uz Vāciju? [cud (like in cuddle) tu (like you'd read it in french, spanish or portuguese) naaksi (as if it was german) uz (like ooze, but the "u" is hard again) Vaacijoo]

Ukrainian: Коли ти приїдеш до Німеччини? [Coly tee preedjosh do Nimecheenee]

P.S: I wish I knew IPA to explain the right way to say all this :(
levantis

Postby Sean of the Dead » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:42 pm UTC

Here's Basque:

Noiz (hi) etorriko haiz Alemaniara?

"Hi" slightly stresses you, which in this sentence is informal.
Sean of the Dead

Postby Tuatara » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:33 am UTC

In Maori:

Ahea koe e haramai nei ki Tiamani?
when(future) 2sg futuretense come here to Germany
Tuatara

Postby Dantez » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:11 am UTC

Czech:
"Kdy už přijedeš?" or "Kdy už přijedeš do Německa?" (second one has added "in Germany", but it can stand alone as well and still it makes sense)
Spoiler:
How many Sol Badguys does it take to screw in a Lightbulb?
I dunno.
GUN FLAME!!!
Dantez

Postby sxbennett » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:17 pm UTC

In Old English: Hwonne cymst þu tó Seaxe-land? Literally, "When come you to Saxon land?" Unable to figure out how to say "Germany", "Seaxe-land" is literally "Saxon land" or "Land of the Saxons".
sxbennett

Postby susan12 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:11 am UTC

As far as I know, the sentence "When are you coming to Germany" in Turkish would be "Ne zaman Almanya'ya geliyor".

I am not good at Turkish, but a professor at my uni comes from Turkey and she suggest me that translation. :mrgreen:
susan12

Postby adam01 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:53 am UTC

Tamil

Neengle Germanee Yeppo Varringla (familiar friendly)

or as the translator says: Neengle Germanee Varraviaahgal

நீங்கள் ஜெர்மனி வருகிறார்கள்

and to answer:

Ich habe keine verdammte Ahnung, wann die Tickets sind teuer und ich habe einige reiche Irren Stalking mich!!!
adam01

Postby adam01 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:10 pm UTC

Kannada

Neevoo Germanigay Yavaga Bharteera?

and I'd have to update my fonts (ugh) to do the squiddlies for ya
adam01

RO

Postby milom » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:14 pm UTC

Când vii şi tu în Germania?

You may also write (for commodity) : Cand vii si tu in Germania?

Oh, the language is Romanian.
milom

Postby goofy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:00 pm UTC

adam01 wrote:Kannada

Neevoo Germanigay Yavaga Bharteera?

and I'd have to update my fonts (ugh) to do the squiddlies for ya

ನೀವು ಜರ್ಮನಿಗೆ ಯಾವಾಗ ಭರತೆರ

How many mistakes did I make?
goofy

Return to Language/Linguistics