My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Postby Shidoshi » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:30 am UTC

Yeah, the new episode of FiW was amazing. I loved the duet song and the geeky Princess Molestia/Luna.
There were many awesome random things they did, but the best scene remains the one after the credits. It's such a mood reversal and it has a very strong atmosphere with the Sandman song.
Shidoshi

Re: I's Little phony: Magic be Witchcraft!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:01 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:not realizing that it's a bad idea to jump on a lightning cloud in the middle of town, to me, shows outright cognitive deficiency.
One hears that the longer version of the intro had RD and DH bucking the bolts out of the clouds to stop them hitting the town hall or something like that, but then DH wasn't too great at aiming. But then it got cut because it was too long for something that wasn't much to do with the actual plot of the episode.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
Spoiler:
Nullcline wrote:What a colossal waste of stupidity.
fjafjan wrote:I got quite a lot of "batter" left
natraj wrote:skydiving is p fun (in this respect it is almost exactly unlike centipedes)
doogly wrote:Oh, I like everything!
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:45 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:Her intro was amazing.

Really the whole thing was amazing. It was almost on par with FiM itself.

Nah, FiW 5 "Neigh, Soul Sister" was almost on par with FiM itself. This one... kinda felt like they were trying too hard, and had too much thrown in there. Namely the censoring of the word "apple".
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby Shidoshi » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:51 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:

Nah, FiW 5 "Neigh, Soul Sister" was almost on par with FiM itself. This one... kinda felt like they were trying too hard, and had too much thrown in there. Namely the censoring of the word "apple".

I agree that FiW 4 and 5 rival the official show's episodes and 6 does not. Though I have to say Cute from the Hip is still my favorite FiW episode.
Episode 6 had a little too much thrown into it and 19 minutes felt a little too long. I'd have preferred if they had kept it shorter and thrown less random bits of humor.

The new song is awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcQrRwC2WDQ
Shidoshi

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:33 am UTC

Shidoshi wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:

I agree that FiW 4 and 5 rival the official show's episodes and 6 does not. Though I have to say Cute from the Hip is still my favorite FiW episode.
Episode 6 had a little too much thrown into it and 19 minutes felt a little too long. I'd have preferred if they had kept it shorter and thrown less random bits of humor.

I don't know, 3 was my favourite. I think 6 probably was trying too hard but the best FiW are, IMO, better than the worst FiM and, even the worst FiW are still pretty good.
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby ArgonV » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:58 pm UTC

Crackles had me in a stitch, was that just me?
ArgonV

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:02 pm UTC

Oh my god phoenixes look and sound awesome.

Also, I wonder if "Scary, yes. Fun, no." was a throwback to "Scary, but fun."
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

The Scyphozoa

Postby Shidoshi » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:09 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Oh my god phoenixes look and sound awesome.

Also, I wonder if "Scary, yes. Fun, no." was a throwback to "Scary, but fun."

Considering the original fan meme was "Secret butt fun" and not scary. I doubt it.

I was more excited with the trenches in the context of Friendship is Witchcraft.
Shidoshi

Postby Weeks » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:16 pm UTC

Cute from the Hip is my favorite FiW episode, I rewatch it every now and then. I do agree the latest ep was trying very hard, but I think it was worth it.
Magnanimous wrote:If it begs you to switch browsers, would it be Internet Implorer?
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:22 pm UTC

Shidoshi wrote:I was more excited with the trenches in the context of Friendship is Witchcraft.

Given all the shoutouts, I think it's fair to say one of the writers is a fan.
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby Vaniver » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:20 pm UTC

Dragon Quest thoughts while watching:
Spoiler:
<3 Sparity. Rarity jumping to Spike's defense was cute.

Her continuation, not so much.

"I've done lots of nutty things."

"Fuck this teacup!"

Oh god the eyes on Rarity's dragon.

Oh god Crackles.

Spike drinking cider? That can't be legal.

Would have been nice if the dragons had a few more redeeming features. I was reminded of It Takes a Village, where Spike actually learned quite a bit from dragons, instead of just "teenagers are jerks."

Enjoyable episode.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.
Vaniver

Postby Shidoshi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:34 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:Dragon Quest thoughts while watching:
Spoiler:
<3 Sparity. Rarity jumping to Spike's defense was cute.

Her continuation, not so much.

"I've done lots of nutty things."

"Fuck this teacup!"

Oh god the eyes on Rarity's dragon.

Oh god Crackles.

Spike drinking cider? That can't be legal.

Would have been nice if the dragons had a few more redeeming features. I was reminded of It Takes a Village, where Spike actually learned quite a bit from dragons, instead of just "teenagers are jerks."

Enjoyable episode.

I found it funny how this episode was taking a beating over at ponychan, I enjoyed it myself.
Shidoshi

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:31 am UTC

Weeks wrote:Cute from the Hip is my favorite FiW episode, I rewatch it every now and then. I do agree the latest ep was trying very hard, but I think it was worth it.
That episode needs the full version of Pinkie's Brew so bad.

seapony tears and provolone...
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.
Princess Marzipan
Bananas are fish who attack divers inland

Postby Jorpho » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:45 am UTC

So... Is FiW a Flash series, a text fanfic series, or what?
Jorpho

Postby Weeks » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:49 am UTC

It's an "abridged" series, meaning it takes video from FiM and edits it, while replacing the audio almost entirely.
Magnanimous wrote:If it begs you to switch browsers, would it be Internet Implorer?
Weeks

Postby Soralin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:42 am UTC

Soralin

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:03 am UTC

Weeks wrote:It's an "abridged" series, meaning it takes video from FiM and edits it, while replacing the audio almost entirely.
I get that's the trope name and everything, but ennnh. It's not "abridging" the plot, it's making up its own. muttermutter
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
Princess Marzipan

Postby Vaniver » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:42 pm UTC

Hurricane Fluttershy thoughts while watching:
Spoiler:
Fluttertree?
Roidasus?

Wet mane Fluttershy now canon. (Was it already canon?)

I wholeheartedly approve of Flight Camp Coach's style.

Rainbow Dash is not even twice as powerful as Thunder Lane? Intriguing. Also, that doesn't look like 100 pegasi.

Oh god those eyes were nightmare fuel.

Aww RD's helpless little buck.

Do badgers chitter?

(So far the plot doesn't make all that much sense. If Fluttershy is a really weak flyer, then whether or not she flies really won't make all that much difference.)

<3 Spike.

I like how Spitfire is supervising, instead of, you know, helping.

(So, were each of those eight missing ponies providing 25 wingpower? How else did we go from "almost 1000" to "almost 800"?)

I'm mildly bothered that, say, evaporation apparently doesn't happen in Equestria. (Or this is just Equestrian geo-engineering and they didn't mention the normal mechanism.)

Eh. Overall I'm bothered by the math. Small contributions matter- when you have a lot of them. But what they needed to do to make Fluttershy's contribution decisive was so contrived that it just felt silly. Again, why wasn't Spitfire also helping? I'm sure she could have put them over 800.

Alright episode. Well-animated, great RD interactions, but the moral seemed contrived, and I think they could have conveyed it way better.

Vaniver

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:54 pm UTC

I feel much the same. The episode was good until the second half. when the contrivances started to pile up awfully quick.
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:20 pm UTC

While watching one scene this is all I could think:
Spoiler:
"Suck it up Fluttershy! This is no time for-"
(Wait. I can't be mean to Fluttershy, all the bronies who pick me as their favorite will be mad at Cindy Morrow if I do.)
"I mean... confidence or no confidence, I'm gonna need every pegasus to break the record."

The Scyphozoa

Postby Shidoshi » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:48 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:Hurricane Fluttershy thoughts while watching:
Spoiler:
Fluttertree?
Roidasus?

Wet mane Fluttershy now canon. (Was it already canon?)

I wholeheartedly approve of Flight Camp Coach's style.

Rainbow Dash is not even twice as powerful as Thunder Lane? Intriguing. Also, that doesn't look like 100 pegasi.

Oh god those eyes were nightmare fuel.

Aww RD's helpless little buck.

Do badgers chitter?

(So far the plot doesn't make all that much sense. If Fluttershy is a really weak flyer, then whether or not she flies really won't make all that much difference.)

<3 Spike.

I like how Spitfire is supervising, instead of, you know, helping.

(So, were each of those eight missing ponies providing 25 wingpower? How else did we go from "almost 1000" to "almost 800"?)

I'm mildly bothered that, say, evaporation apparently doesn't happen in Equestria. (Or this is just Equestrian geo-engineering and they didn't mention the normal mechanism.)

Eh. Overall I'm bothered by the math. Small contributions matter- when you have a lot of them. But what they needed to do to make Fluttershy's contribution decisive was so contrived that it just felt silly. Again, why wasn't Spitfire also helping? I'm sure she could have put them over 800.

Alright episode. Well-animated, great RD interactions, but the moral seemed contrived, and I think they could have conveyed it way better.

Don't you try to use your fancy mathematics to mutter the issue! I found the whole thing beautiful, the episode had me crying several times. The pacing was perfect, we finally saw Rainbow Dash well characterized, character development, etc.

The Scyphozoa wrote:While watching one scene this is all I could think:
Spoiler:
"Suck it up Fluttershy! This is no time for-"
(Wait. I can't be mean to Fluttershy, all the bronies who pick me as their favorite will be mad at Cindy Morrow if I do.)
"I mean... confidence or no confidence, I'm gonna need every pegasus to break the record."

God, I was getting sick of the legions of sad Dash fans over at ponychan (Packrat, if anyone here also goes to /show/). I knew he'd be happy while watching the episode though.
Shidoshi

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:24 am UTC

Oh man, Packrat. The stuff that goes on on /show/ could potentially make a good episode of some cartoon (other than MLP, of course). Packrat, a rabid RD fan who fails to understand that other people's opinions of RD are also valid, and Saikar, a mostly reasonable Twilight fan. Endlessly bickering all across the board. Then there's a thread about shipping (characters), which gets derailed into talking about the history of naval vessels. Saikar and Packrat have a civil, friendly discussion about Japan's navy during WWII. Go go gadget surreal happy ending!

The Scyphozoa

Postby Weeks » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:39 am UTC

Contrivances my ass, this episode was adorable as fuck and had the best training montage in the history of western animation. True fact.
Weeks

Postby Game_boy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:02 am UTC

The maths and physics errors took this to a very low episode for me.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.
Game_boy

Postby Weeks » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:55 am UTC

It looks to me like you're setting yourself up for disappointment here darling
Weeks

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:56 am UTC

Game_boy wrote:The maths and physics errors took this to a very low episode for me.
Hey. Guess what. You have no idea how badly magic fucks up all the formulas of classical mechanics.

FFS, the sun and the moon behave at the whims of pair of alicorns. And THIS EPISODE had too many math and physics errors? They haven't broken any established in-universe rules. Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show; I should really just relax."

Weeks wrote:Contrivances my ass, this episode was adorable as fuck and had the best training montage in the history of western animation. True fact.
Eeeeeee!!!
Spoiler:
FLUTTERSHY GOT TO BE A TREEEEEEEEEE

My one complaint:
Spoiler:
I'm mad that the lesson was apparently Fluttershy's to learn.. The problem isn't that FLUTTERSHY didn't value herself and her contributions. It's that NO ONE ELSE DID, which left her no reason to want to contribute in the first place. Rainbow and Twilight are the only ponies that actually gave a fig how Fluttershy felt.

EVERYPONY ELSE LAUGHED AT FLUTTERSHY. ENGAGE LOVE AND TOLERANCE CANNONS AT MAXIMUM OUTPUT LEVELS.
Princess Marzipan

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:11 am UTC

They came around in the end. The same as those bullies in Sonic Rainboom.

The Scyphozoa

Postby Weeks » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:14 am UTC

Spoilered for huge.
Spoiler:
I liked how they handled fluttershy's training. She didn't emerge all-powerful from her training. Surprisingly realistic.

I feel like FS really should know a thing or two about confidence nowadays. I guess they did finally address her problems with flight school. Not that I'm complaining!

Also, the scene under the tree with the animals...:(

Counterpoint!

I love this show.
Weeks

Postby Vaniver » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:36 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Hey. Guess what. You have no idea how badly magic fucks up all the formulas of classical mechanics.
I'm (mostly) fine with cartoon physics. I'm also willing to accept that evaporation doesn't exist (on a wide enough scale, at least) and instead pegasi lift water to make clouds.

I'm just not okay with eight times ten equaling two hundred. Increase the strength per pegasus or decrease the requirement so that the math works out. It's just so wrong and so easy to fix.

Similarly, I don't mind small things making a big difference. I just mind when people make obviously stupid decisions, like Spitfire not helping out. If Spitfire had helped out, and that had been not quite enough, and then Fluttershy had tipped them over the edge, that would have been as (if not more) 'every bit helps' without having the giant hole of 'why not Spitfire?'

And, I should mention, I did really enjoy how RD and Spike were portrayed in this episode. (I'm biased against Fluttershy, and so thinking her performance was okay means it was probably really good.) It's just these quibbles are so obvious and so easy to fix that I can't not make them.

Vaniver

Postby Weeks » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:46 am UTC

My biggest quibble with this episode was no Rarity, Pinkie Pie or Applejack.

Vaniver wrote:I'm just not okay with eight times ten equaling two hundred. Increase the strength per pegasus or decrease the requirement so that the math works out. It's just so wrong and so easy to fix.
Wait. When was it said they had nearly 1000 wingpower? Rainbow Dash said "I think we can get over 1000", which I took as an estimate, never mind that she was giving a speech and all. The chart was obviously all wrong, though (unless it was logarithmic or something?).

Edit: Some say that Spitfire wasn't participating because she was supposed to be there only to measure the speed of the tornado. Like, if she found out they failed, she'd just bring in the other Wonderbolts and/or some other pegasi team (to RD's and Ponyville's shame).
Weeks

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:29 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:I'm biased against Fluttershy
I know all those words, but this phrase just make any sense to me at all!
Princess Marzipan

Postby Vaniver » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:50 am UTC

Weeks wrote:When was it said they had nearly 1000 wingpower? Rainbow Dash said "I think we can get over 1000", which I took as an estimate
You might be right- I might have taken Rainbow Dash at face value when she was being overconfident. If that's the case, then I retract my complaint (but I seem to remember Twilight being optimistic too, and I would expect her to be a bit more precise with the numbers. I'd have to rewatch that section to be sure).

Princess Marzipan wrote:I know all those words, but this phrase just make any sense to me at all!
It's along the lines of "Fluttershy doesn't complement me or my desires well," because I know there are people who do like Fluttershy quite a bit and I can identify the features which make them like Fluttershy. I just put different weights on those features, and don't expect my impressions to match other people's.

Vaniver

Postby Angua » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:13 am UTC

Filly-delphia broke the record at 910. If they were down 80 wingpower, they should have still easily made the tornado. However, maybe the 8 ponies missing were all over 13 wingpower.

I think getting math right is important in a tv show.
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Shidoshi » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:02 am UTC

In my mind, Spitfire didn't help not just because she was there to keep score. If after the first failure she had helped it would stop FS from learning her lesson, not to mention humiliate Rainbow Dash and Ponyville for not managing to achieve the 800. I'm sure she would have helped for a 3rd try or if they had asked for her help, I don't think it was that critical that they managed to bring water THAT EXACT DAY, so if everything failed she could just reschedule or change to a back-up town.
Shidoshi

Postby Weeks » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:15 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Filly-delphia broke the record at 910. If they were down 80 wingpower, they should have still easily made the tornado.
That's Fillydelphia. Was it ever confirmed that Ponyville had over 910 wingpower total? When they made the tornado they had just above 800, which puts them at around 880 total.

@Shidoshi, yeah, that's what I was getting at.
Weeks

Postby Angua » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:24 pm UTC

They were predicting having an easy time breaking the record even without Fluttershy when they were in training (ie via Twilight's wingspeed measurements). When they didn't have those ponies, they were worried about being able to reach 800 (again based on Twilight's measurements).
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby Weeks » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:24 pm UTC

You're assuming the ponies are scientists.
Weeks

Postby Angua » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

They generally try to give that impression with Twilight Sparkle at the very least. Using Twilight's own calculations, they were on for breaking the record before the ponies got sick, then when they got sick, they were going to have trouble hitting 800. I'm assuming ponies can do basic math.
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby Weeks » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:49 pm UTC

I assume you speak of this line:

Rainbow Dash: Now listen up! If each of you can get your numbers up to at least 10.0 wing power by the end of the week, we'll no doubt set a new tornado speed record. We'll be number one!
Pegasi: [cheering]

And this?

Twilight Sparkle: Let's see, with those eight sick pegasi out with the feather flu... [gasp] oh no!
Rainbow Dash: Don't tell me we won't be able to break the windspeed record?
Twilight Sparkle: No...
Rainbow Dash: Phew!
Twilight Sparkle: ...you might not have enough wing power to create a tornado powerful enough to lift the water to Cloudsdale!

Twilight never said they had enough to break the speed record, it was RD. Now I don't know about RD's math skills, but this was just after she'd done her 16.5 performance. It's possible she was being overconfident there, since they hadn't measured each pony's speed at that point, and she was obviously trying to inspire the others. It's only later that Twilight, with all the measurements, says that they wouldn't have enough power for the tornado.

Here's the transcript. http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Transcripts/Hurricane_Fluttershy
Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:55 pm UTC

Weeks

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV Shows