The Underworld - Game over - Beelzebub (mafia) Wins

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: The Underworld - D2 - Lust

Postby mpolo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:52 am UTC

Hello all. I was worried about having pages and pages to read, but apparently, this is much easier to get my head around than I feared it might be.

So, we have the AAA as town. We have a cult loyal to Mephistopheles, which may well have been nipped in the bud, as a recruiter was down on night one. And there is presumably a scum faction in there as well. We are a total of 11 (now 9) people, so we ought to have at least 3 anti-town players, if not four. At least some of the anti-town factions would likely have come in during one of these two influxes of souls, as there would have been too much anti-town at the dawn of day one otherwise. (Or alternatively, the one active townie on day one never really had a chance, but that doesn't seem very plausible with how the votes went down.)

In any case, I can't vote today, so I'm just checking in with my first impressions. I will come back after lunch with some ideas about the players -- I didn't have anything just bowl me over on first reading.
Image <-- Evil experiment
mpolo

Postby Adam H » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:40 pm UTC

I'm guessing there's no mafia faction, just cult and 2-4 indies (SK/jester/lyncher/survivor). I doubt there's 2-3 mafia AND cult with this setup.

It's possible that Lataro bought his own death upon himself somehow. Maybe he targetted the wrong person, or his power was reflected back to himself, or something like that.

I can't vote, but IGMEOY: TMG, for assuming that cult = mafia and has a kill.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby TheMaskedGecko » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:42 pm UTC

[Citation needed]
The only thing I see which supports that idea is my tongue in cheek overzealous bussing comment.
ConMan wrote:the neighbourhood’s favourite lizard

Yeah, I don't care if it's out of context, it massages my ego and so it stays.
TheMaskedGecko

Postby Adam H » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:48 pm UTC

Oh did I misunderstand this?
TheMaskedGecko wrote:Lack of mafiakill is interesting. Options are that a doc/RB struck lucky, kill was withheld for some crazy reason or it alternates with the recruit mechanic. Currently the third makes most sense. Kill+recruit seems overpowered to me, although it depends how the rest of the game is balanced.
FTFY, too.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby TheMaskedGecko » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:53 pm UTC

Ah, no. That was me not thinking clearly. I was thinking in terms of one mafia and an indie killer at that point; the thought of two scumteams hadn't crossed my mind. My views have changed since that post.

TheMaskedGecko

Postby TheMaskedGecko » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:56 pm UTC

EBWOP: Oh, and it was also partially a response to Tim's comment on lack of crossbow kill in the preceding post.

TheMaskedGecko

Postby mpolo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:09 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:I'm guessing there's no mafia faction, just cult and 2-4 indies (SK/jester/lyncher/survivor). I doubt there's 2-3 mafia AND cult with this setup.

It's possible that Lataro bought his own death upon himself somehow. Maybe he targetted the wrong person, or his power was reflected back to himself, or something like that.

I can't vote, but IGMEOY: TMG, for assuming that cult = mafia and has a kill.

The idea that Lataro inadvertently brought about his own death is quite interesting. I guess the flavor tomorrow will give us our best shot at figuring that out.

I could see cult and SK as a possibility. If there's a mafia faction, it would have to be small, and the cult would have to have some major limitations on its growth potential.

The order of the actions going off does vary from mod to mod. I think that having a defined order of resolution is fairly common. Most often, recruiting goes before kills, though, so I would guess that there is a member of the cult still here [hopefully lacking the ability to recruit]. That would put the only current cult member among the original 3 or the three souls that came in on N1. Which doesn't narrow things down all that much. This is assuming that kill immunity =/= cult immunity, which is probably a safe bet.
mpolo

Postby Adam H » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:35 pm UTC

Heads up: 5ish hours from deadline, t1mm has two votes (eculc and trine).

trine, I'd vote someone else if you don't want to lynch your scumbuddy.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby t1mm01994 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:40 pm UTC

So uhm, I randomly did some stuff to provoke reactions, and got so little reactions, I'm now on the verge of dying. Great!
Vote: Greenlover
as that's the closest I've got to a scum read. If I do get lynched, you'll have a nice bunch of reads on people though. Gambits ftw!
t1mm01994

Postby eculc » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:33 pm UTC

well, for now my vote still stands--If it turns out that t1mm is town, no doubt that will cast suspicion on me as well as trine. if he's scum, then all is well.

also, adam...what's with the accusations right away? either he's trying to direct more suspicion toward trine, or he's trying to protect t1mm, which may turn out to be the same thing. I'm not really seeing how this could accomplish much of anything besides drawing attention to yourself, so...consider yourself watched, for now.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby t1mm01994 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:35 pm UTC

With deadline upcoming, I will just die here, knowing my role is done. Good luck on D3, make sure my gambit was useful... You mean I'm already dead? Well, this is awkward.. We'll see how it pans out.
t1mm01994

Re: The Underworld - N2 - Pride

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:07 am UTC

They descended on him quickly. t1mm barely tried to defend himself. "I'm already dead, how bad could it be." He soon found out...

Vtotals:
t1mm - 2 (trineroks, eculc)
Greenlover - 1 (t1mm)

Those not voting: fearless, greenlover, TMG

t1mm01994 has been lynched and is now dead. Night has fallen, please PM me your nightactions. If you choose to not use your action a PM saying so would be appreciated. Day 3 will begin 72 hours from this post.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos
BoomFrog

Re: The Underworld - D3 - Gluttony

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:53 am UTC

Three new recruits appear behind you. Why is stuff always happening behind you? You turn around to look at them, not that looking at people is that useful, you never seem to see their shape until they're dead. Speaking of dead you turn around to examine t1mm's shredded corpse. Someone has quickly eaten it, but fortunately you have a PHD in Cryptopaleontology and you are able to determine from the bones that t1mm was a Medusa.

t1mm was a Medusa, loyal to Beelzebub. He was a Paranoid Gun Owner (anyone who targeted him turned to stone). Also, he has been eaten.

Well, good thing no one else died while our backs were turned Eculc mutters. Then he collapses to the ground. Poisoned.

Eculc was a Shimmering Lizard, wishing only for death or a new purpose. He was an Attractor (his target's power would be redirected onto himself).
Eculc wins for being Night Killed. Congratulations Eculc.

Woopate, Adam H, and Mpolo have materialized, they may now vote and be voted for.
Day 3 begins.
7 alive, 4 to lynch.

Night 3 will begin eight days from now.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos
BoomFrog

Postby mpolo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:02 am UTC

So, we have eight days, which means that we should (c.o.u.l.d) have a day or so of sane posting before the deadline. Nonetheless, I think we should at least try to do some discussion through the madness. As we start to figure out what the filters (f.i.l.t.e.r.s) are, we can (c.a.n) inform one another, and hopefully avoid major confusion. We just have to make sure that we don't do a "that post was scummy, lynch him" followed by a speed lynch, since our mods (m.o.d.s.) are often subtle, like last year when o.n.e was turned into t.w.o.
mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:05 am UTC

EBWOP (E.B.W.O.P): I made a mistake with a respelling. That first one s.h.o.u.l.d have been "s.h.o.u.l.d". I'm (I.'.m) not going to put periods in every single word (w.o.r.d), so once I've revealed the translation, don't expect me to repeat it. I don't have time to write every post twice.
mpolo

Postby Adam H » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:27 pm UTC

So I guess lataro targetted t1mm N1 and got turned to stone. Therefore the only NK so far has been eculc (who redirected it) and so the second round of recruits is more likely to have NK than the rest.

FoS: Trine and eculc for lynching town for no reason. He also was in the second batch of recruits. So Trine's probably getting my vote, but as per mpolo's post(s) I'll refrain from being too hasty.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby greenlover » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:57 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:FoS: Trine and eculc for lynching town for no reason. He also was in the second batch of recruits. So Trine's probably getting my vote, but as per mpolo's post(s) I'll refrain from being too hasty.

...Tim was town? Last I checked, Asmodeus isn't the same greater demon as Beelzebub. Unless I'm misunderstanding my mythology, I think we may have a third faction on our hands.
greenlover

Postby trineroks » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:00 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:So I guess lataro targetted t1mm N1 and got turned to stone. Therefore the only NK so far hath been eculc (who redirected it) and so the second round of recruits is more likely to have NK than the rest.

FoS: Trine and eculc for lynching town for no reason. He also was in the second batch of recruits. So Trine's probably getting my vote, but as per mpolo's post(s) I'll refrain from being too hasty.
You're really sounding fishy, bub. First off, I had my reasons for voting t1mm. Second, t1mm wasn't even town (loyal to Beelzebub, town is Asmodeus). Thirdly, you've been tunnel fossing me all game for no reason whatsoever.
trineroks

Postby Adam H » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:23 pm UTC

Whoops, by "town" I meant "not mephathitusmanface".
-Adam
Adam H

Postby eculc » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:59 am UTC

aw yea man.

that is all.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby Adam H » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:52 pm UTC

There's an alarming lack of activity. So I'll

Vote: Trineroks

Because, no, you really didn't have a reason for voting t1mm.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby mpolo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Sorry, the lack of activity combined with the confusion of the event that never happened led me to not be contributing. I won't be able to look in detail until yesterday afternoon. However, it is clear that t1mm was a different faction than town, but doesn't seem to have anything to do with the Mephistopholes cult.

I should get back to this tomorrow afternoon. Sorry again.
mpolo

Postby trineroks » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:05 am UTC

Is it me, or is Adam just overflowing with scum? He's been pointing fingers at me ever since he entered the game with nothing to back it up.
trineroks

Postby Woopate » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:19 am UTC

So instead of posting a big long analysis like I had promised, I decided that the best use of my free night was to watch silently. I'll throw down some nice workable content soon.
Woopate
Scrapple

Postby mpolo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:42 pm UTC

I am really being an expert at forgetting about this one. Sorry BoomFrog.

Adam picked up on the fact that Lataro was killed by a passive action before the rest of us, but I don't know that that's particularly nefarious. He had a little confusion about who was town though, which looks worse.

Since trineroks and ecluc voted for apparent scum when there was no reason to bus, they are looking rather "non-Beelzebub" and most likely town.

T1mm bounced around a lot on his votes, so I'm rather uncertain how much information we're going to be able to read out of them.

There. I at least came up with a little bit of content. We need to pick up the posting rate here, though.
mpolo

Postby TheMaskedGecko » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:16 am UTC

Oh god, I'm less active than greenlover. That is not good.
My read on the situation is that we have (had) a 2/3-player mafia[Beelzebub] and a cult[Mephistopheles]. The mafia don't have a conventional night kill, rather powers like tim had. The reason I feel that this is the case is my hunch that tim and fearless were scumbuddies. In fact:
Vote:fearless

I'm checking something with the mod now, which will hopefully shed a bit of light on the situation. A full analysis is on its way, maybe tomorrow, definitely before monday.

TheMaskedGecko

Postby fearless » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

sorry for the inactivity. work's been hectic, as usual. i know this is a silly question.. but is beezelbub a scum faction? or town, with powers?
fearless

Postby greenlover » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:14 pm UTC

^ given that the example role PM specifies all opposing factions, I'm going to guess not town by any means.
greenlover

Postby fearless » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:44 pm UTC

Oh ok.

So... does that mean he's scum? Or just an independent faction that's not town?

If he's scum, then his targetting of GL could be wine (did I use this in the right context?)

Which makes GL a bit dodgy.

Still, I don't like mister gecko.

Something is fishy about him.
fearless

Postby greenlover » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:53 pm UTC

fearless wrote:So... does that mean he's scum? Or just an independent faction that's not town?

I'm... not sure if its possible to know, actually. Probably a separate scum faction?

Anyway, I should probably post some content. Heh. AdamH's vote on Trine is pinging me, since Trine did end up lynching scum. Why do you find it scummy that Trine lynch a scum player without much justification, Adam?
greenlover

Postby Adam H » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

FoS everyone who has said that T1mm's faction (Beelzebub) is scum... So that's greenlover, TMG, and fearless, I think.

And fearless apparently doesn't know that town is loyal to Asmodeus. (!) That even came after my slip, which should have made everyone go back and check what the factions are called. I'm almost thinking jester, but... eh. I'm not a fan of withholding a lynch because I'm scared of hitting jester.

Unvote

Vote: Fearless
-Adam
Adam H

Postby greenlover » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:41 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:FoS everyone who has said that T1mm's faction (Beelzebub) is scum... So that's greenlover, TMG, and fearless, I think.

... care to explain why?
greenlover

Postby Adam H » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:23 pm UTC

Because there's absolutely no reason to think that Beelzebub is scum faction...
-Adam
Adam H

Postby greenlover » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:29 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:Because there's absolutely no reason to think that Beelzebub is scum faction...

The example opening PM that we were given told us to eliminate all opposing factions. Last time I checked, greater demons didn't tend to get along well. So, why on earth in the underworld would Beelzebub and mister towny greater demon not be at odds with each other?
greenlover

Postby Adam H » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

Sorry. In my mind I equated scum=mafia rather than scum=anti-town. All I am saying is that I think it is much more likely that t1mm is an anti-town independent rather than a member of an anti-town team.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby fearless » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:08 am UTC

Ha! So my confusion leads to a vote but Adam's confusion is simply accepted. Pffft!
fearless

Postby mpolo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:25 am UTC

I think that Adam's confusion was just pushed on pretty hard. And it's Adam who's voting for you, fearless, so not really a double standard.

I think that "loyal to Beelzebub" has to be anti-town, because town is loyal to Asmodeus. The good news is that we (or actually y'all) got the cult recruiter already. As the recruiter died apparently in the course of recruiting t1mm (turned to stone), we may well have no Mephistopheles-loyal players left. And the Beelzebub group has either had no kills, or has been blocked somehow each time, which makes the scum seem somewhat underpowered. And that means that I am worried that there is some factor that is not obvious affecting this all.

I found Adam's "confusion" on who scum was somewhat confusing, but can more or less accept his defense. Fearless had a similar confusion, after Adam's was cleared up, but that may be newbiness. We should watch both of them, however.
mpolo

Postby Woopate » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:33 pm UTC

I could see scum winding up underpowered as a result of the "feeder" indoctrination method. Didn't the mod mention that everyone had roles before they were up for bat? It would be easy to underpower the non-town sides, lest a bunch of them show up at once and ruin town's day.
Woopate
Scrapple

Postby fearless » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:01 pm UTC

I have a really bad feeling about mister gecko. !

vote gecko
fearless

Postby trineroks » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:38 am UTC

I have to say that Adam's "confusion" is making him real suspicious in my eyes, but at times it looks too hard-played.

Fearless also has the same problem, although I don't necessarily find her as strange as Adam.
trineroks

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia