Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Postby I Am Raven » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

roband wrote:... something important came up that I HAD to comment on.

I found this very amusing. Can't quite put my finger on why...

My confession: I NEVER asked a girl out of whom I didn't know for absolutely certain that she liked me. (How was I absolutely certain? We make out and then she tells me she really likes me. That's pretty much the moment I ask them out.)
Problem with that technique is that the situation has to be just perfect for that to happen.
So yeah... I am scared to man up and ask this Girl at work out. I sort of already did ("Would you like to go for a beer with me next week?") and she kind of didn't get it ("Oh yeah, I am going to this bar with <male coworker that has crush on female coworker> and <female coworker that doesn't have a crush on male coworker> you should come too!"). But today she told me <male coworker> didn't like it when he heard that Girl would be coming too. I am terribly confused as to what is expected of me, if anything. Can I still assume I am going for drinks with them? Should I ask her again "because she didn't get it", or should I "take the hint that she does not want to go for a drink with just me", or should I just ASK what's going on to clarify all this and prevent possible miscommuni- ah... Okay.
Thanks.
Last edited by I Am Raven on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ptolom wrote:penis
I Am Raven

Postby roband » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:36 pm UTC

Amusing? That's decent of you, it was meant as a joke ;)

edit: WOWEE THIS IS POST 888 - NOW I CAN'T POST UNTIL SOMETHING IMPORTANT COMES UP
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby Webzter » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:41 pm UTC

Amie wrote:Fess: When my post-count was 666 I didn't want to make any further posts outside of Forum Games for a very long time :P

If this is an apocalyptic reference, the mark of the beast may actually be 616
Webzter

Postby roband » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:00 am UTC

Not my devil.

I can make up anything I like, right?
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby Amie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:20 am UTC

Webzter wrote:If this is an apocalyptic reference, the mark of the beast may actually be 616

No, man. Not according to William Blake. Sorry.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.
Amie

Postby icanus » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:24 pm UTC

My first ever driving lesson begins in about half an hour. I'm terrified.
icanus

Postby emceng » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:32 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:
roband wrote:... something important came up that I HAD to comment on.

I found this very amusing. Can't quite put my finger on why...

My confession: I NEVER asked a girl out of whom I didn't know for absolutely certain that she liked me. (How was I absolutely certain? We make out and then she tells me she really likes me. That's pretty much the moment I ask them out.)
Problem with that technique is that the situation has to be just perfect for that to happen.
So yeah... I am scared to man up and ask this Girl at work out. I sort of already did ("Would you like to go for a beer with me next week?") and she kind of didn't get it ("Oh yeah, I am going to this bar with <male coworker that has crush on female coworker> and <female coworker that doesn't have a crush on male coworker> you should come too!"). But today she told me <male coworker> didn't like it when he heard that Girl would be coming too. I am terribly confused as to what is expected of me, if anything. Can I still assume I am going for drinks with them? Should I ask her again "because she didn't get it", or should I "take the hint that she does not want to go for a drink with just me", or should I just ASK what's going on to clarify all this and prevent possible miscommuni- ah... Okay.
Thanks.

My suggestion: Get drinks with the group, enjoy the evening. Flirt with said girl. At the end of the evening, say something more definitive - "I'd like to take you to dinner" or "This might be fun with just the two of us".
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis
emceng

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:57 pm UTC

icanus wrote:My first ever driving lesson begins in about half an hour. I'm terrified.

I felt the same, but it turned out to be great! I'm still nervous but it's a blast at the same time.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby icanus » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:57 pm UTC

All turned out well - I didn't hit anything, and was slightly more relaxed by the end of it...
icanus

Postby I Am Raven » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:02 pm UTC

emceng wrote:My suggestion: Get drinks with the group, enjoy the evening. Flirt with said girl. At the end of the evening, say something more definitive - "I'd like to take you to dinner" or "This might be fun with just the two of us".

Something came up. A baker wanting to marry her and take her with him to Uganda, to be precise. She was pretty shook up. I offered her my cigarette and my coffee and comforted her. Then she had to get back to work. It all turned out alright, but I don't think it's a good idea to show my interest in her on that level right after such a thing.
I Am Raven

Postby Amie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:49 am UTC

This from my Facebook:
"I've always had a love-hate relationship with cricket. Growing up in Bombay, it was impossible to escape it. Sometimes, I hate that the city forced me into the paranoia and the hype. Not today. Today, I am grateful. Rahul Dravid is a player I've always watched more than anyone else and... as it all slowly sinks in... the knowledge that I won't ever get my childhood memories refreshed by him anymore, I am sadder than I thought I'd be."

He's played for India for 16 years. He's dedicated his entire life to making the country proud of his incomparable legacy. Now he needs to live for himself. I am privileged to have grown up in an era where Rahul Dravid batted for India. I just finished watching his retirement press conference and I am devastated... to say the least. I am happy, though, that he's made a great decision for himself.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.
Amie

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:08 am UTC

These bouts of apathy sometimes have me thinking my mind isn't as healthy as I thought it was :|
Apparently Anonymous

Postby Eseell » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:36 pm UTC

I feel uncomfortable being congratulated for accomplishing something that was very easy. My boss doesn't get how easy the task was because what I do is like magic to him.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein
Eseell
George

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:48 pm UTC

Eseell wrote:I feel uncomfortable being congratulated for accomplishing something that was very easy. My boss doesn't get how easy the task was because what I do is like magic to him.

Much better than the reverse.

"While we are at it, could you just code up a forum on the website? Should be easy, right?"
Menacing Spike

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:46 pm UTC

Sometimes, when I'm all alone, I'll buy like 3 of those little "Donette" packages and eat them. ALL OF THEM.
Not all who wander ar...blah blah blah, basically I want to be cool like Aragorn.
Chewbaccawacca

Location: The Great Green Pacific Northwest! ....of the United States! .....of America!

Postby Annihilist » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:52 am UTC

I relate WAY too much to Eric Harris & Dylan Klebold.

I have a phobia of broken glass, since a time when I was drunk with people and I got incredibly suicidal and cut my arm with glass I threw at a wall. I freak out every time since. I also refuse to drink and I hate parties.

I hate myself.
Annihilist

Postby Cathy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:54 am UTC

Don't hate yourself! You're pretty awesome.

I can't stand the smell of beer ever since I got
Spoiler:
raped when I was young
and people always try to get me to try beer anyways. It's icky. I don't like it and it makes me shiver and shake and it's not fun.

Drinking is overrated anyway, eff people.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!
Cathy

Postby Annihilist » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:07 am UTC

Cathy wrote:Don't hate yourself! You're pretty awesome.

I can't stand the smell of beer ever since I got
Spoiler:
raped when I was young
and people always try to get me to try beer anyways. It's icky. I don't like it and it makes me shiver and shake and it's not fun.

Drinking is overrated anyway, eff people.
You don't know me, but thanks anyway.

Instead of spewing a whole lot of depressing shit I'm just going to agree with you on the drinking thing. I don't drink anymore, and it's good.

Remember: only do drugs and alcohol in a GOOD mood. Never in a bad mood.
Annihilist

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:12 am UTC

Eseell wrote:I feel uncomfortable being congratulated for accomplishing something that was very easy. My boss doesn't get how easy the task was because what I do is like magic to him.

I feel this way, too. In fact, this just happened the other day. My supervisor wouldn't shut up about how fast I could type, even though I personally do not think I can type that fast.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby I Am Raven » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:16 am UTC

I always crush on the most impossible girls:
1) Has a longterm relationship.
2) Considers herself a metal-chick.
3) Crazy.
4) Adultery is her middle name.
5) Dreamy beyond imagining.

All five are past crushes of mine. They're all extremely nice, I can talk to them, I enjoy their company, they're good-looking and whatnot, but there's always that one thing that makes it completely impossible for me to advance/date/consider a relationship with them.
I feel like a sad panda.
(Happy too, because I am crushing, which always makes me sort of happy/giddy.)
I Am Raven

Postby Zarq » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:14 pm UTC

Why is metal-chick a bad thing?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit
Zarq

Postby I Am Raven » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:25 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Why is metal-chick a bad thing?

That is not the part that bothers me. In fact, it's something I like about her. It's the self-proclaimedness of it that greatly puts me off. I mean sure, be metal, be hardcore, be hippie, be classic, be hipster, but don't go attentionwhoring about it.

EDIT: I'm kind of a dick. Do I really discard people that easily? I guess so... But I don't want to be a dick! But her attentionwhoring in general puts me off, even though one on one she's really nice. It's probably something I'll have to accept. There is no one without drawbacks.
I Am Raven

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:48 pm UTC

I mean..

4) Adultery is her middle name.

... you sure she's not just poly? It's a thing. People do it. Some people are fine with it, some not. And it's fine if you're not, but if she is then.... well, being a dick about it isn't really cool.

Frankly, #1 is the only genuine problem I see. The rest are either you not explaining yourself well, or being a dick.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:07 pm UTC

Adultery is also a thing. And equating adulterers with poly people seems rather insulting, ST.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:18 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Adultery is also a thing. And equating adulterers with poly people seems rather insulting, ST.

Hence my question. The way it and #1 are phrased leads me to believe that whomever #4 represents is not in a relationship and is not married, but instead has a history of appearing to primarily romance one person while at the same time still engaging in alternate romantic entanglements. How exactly that is defined would depend a lot on how #4 describes their current relationship status and how they discuss what they want and don't want out of a relationship with whomever they're currently romancing. If they go into such pairings or continue multiple pairings with everyone fully aware the others exist and being perfectly acceptable with it, then there's no problem. If #4 makes various promises of fidelity and does not uphold them, then there is a problem.

But whether or not that has come up in discussion and what the outcome of that discussion was is something that is usually not apparent from outside the relationship. And there are instances where a person agrees that they and their current romantic partner are free to see other people provided they maintain their relationship then ends it due to being unable to deal with the ramifications of that arrangement and later describing it as being cheated on when.. that wasn't the case at all. One partner was merely following the rules set forth in their earlier agreement.

... so yeah, hence my question.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby I Am Raven » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:42 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:...various promises of fidelity and does not uphold them...

Yes. That.

And I'm kind of a dick. I'm working on it.
I Am Raven

Postby Hyphe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:48 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:And I'm kind of a dick. I'm working on it.

Don't forget number 3 makes you kind of a dick too. I'm "crazy" and the general consensus seems to be that I'm awesome in spite of / because of being mentally ill. So there.

Ahem. In other news, I'm totally not wearing a bra. Mwahahahahahaa.
Hyphe

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:17 pm UTC

Hyphe wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:And I'm kind of a dick. I'm working on it.

Don't forget number 3 makes you kind of a dick too. I'm "crazy" and the general consensus seems to be that I'm awesome in spite of / because of being mentally ill. So there.

Ahem. In other news, I'm totally not wearing a bra. Mwahahahahahaa.

Maybe I should've been more specific. She isn't (as far as I know) diagnosed with a certain "disorder", it was just that she started laughing at inappropriate moments, or just out of the blue, she made a habit of waking me up in the middle of the night just to ask if I was dreaming, and she sometimes threw water on my back while I was sleeping just to see how it fell off of my back. She was nice, and sweet, and we could talk about stuff, but she didn't listen to me when I asked her to stop waking me up in the middle of the night. At first I thought it was kind of cute, but after a couple of weeks it just got annoying.

I'm still kind of a dick though.
I Am Raven

Postby Kewangji » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:40 pm UTC

She was disrespectful and impulsive, then. That is not the same thing.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations
Belial wrote:
Kewangji wrote:On of them is clearly vastly cooler than the other, roband. :roll:

Don't you fucking "to the fairest" this forum.
Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Zarq » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 pm UTC

Does she ever describe herself as 'random'?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit
Zarq

Postby Torvaun » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:54 am UTC

I Am Raven wrote:Maybe I should've been more specific. She isn't (as far as I know) diagnosed with a certain "disorder", it was just that she started laughing at inappropriate moments, or just out of the blue, she made a habit of waking me up in the middle of the night just to ask if I was dreaming, and she sometimes threw water on my back while I was sleeping just to see how it fell off of my back. She was nice, and sweet, and we could talk about stuff, but she didn't listen to me when I asked her to stop waking me up in the middle of the night. At first I thought it was kind of cute, but after a couple of weeks it just got annoying.

I'm still kind of a dick though.
Sounds like manic episodes to me.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.
Torvaun

Postby I Am Raven » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:33 am UTC

Point is, I couldn't handle her.

Okay, so 1) just FB-chatted me saying that she was looking forward to seeing me again (we play in the same orchestra) and that "I didn't know half of how curious she was about me".
What?
I Am Raven

Postby Zarq » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:22 am UTC

What does "curious" mean in that context?
You rang?

Zarq

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:12 am UTC

Zarq wrote:What does "curious" mean in that context?

wanting to learn about
Cheese: cait, we'd build a castle just for you if we had the resources and manpower.
pollywog: cait is probably the only person on the planet that's cooler than me.
Cheese: See, caitie knows what she's doing. Listen to her. She is Pretty Fucking AwesomeTM.
suffer-cait
Proud Member of a very bad, elitist version of a Monday morning Starbucks crowd

Postby I Am Raven » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:09 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:
Zarq wrote:What does "curious" mean in that context?

wanting to learn about

I guess. I'm slightly confused though. Do I seem like a nice person she would like to hang out with, or does is she expressing romantic interest towards me(even though she is in a relationship)? I'm going to rule the second one out for now, because that complicates shit, and could lead to unnecessary awkwardness if that is not the case.
I Am Raven

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:46 pm UTC

i'd say she's flirting. just......contributing.
Cheese: cait, we'd build a castle just for you if we had the resources and manpower.
Cheese: See, caitie knows what she's doing. Listen to her. She is Pretty Fucking AwesomeTM.
suffer-cait

Postby Zarq » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:48 pm UTC

Which doesn't really answer that much. Is she flirting because she's interested, or because she likes flirting?

Raven, could you post the exact Dutch sentence?
You rang?

Zarq

Postby Black Dynamite » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:22 am UTC

I confess I don't think Raven is a dick. :|
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!
(She, her, hers)
Black Dynamite

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:44 am UTC

i saw him as asking if she was flirting or simply being friendly. I believe she is just friendly.
suffer-cait

Postby Zarq » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:47 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:i saw him as asking if she was flirting or simply being friendly. I believe she is just friendly.

You just said she was flirting.
You rang?

Zarq

PreviousNext

Return to General