App Micro-Donation To Charity Model

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Prelates, Moderators General

App Micro-Donation To Charity Model

Postby Malconstant » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

I recently made an app (android) that's actually trying to do a good thing, and I'd like to get the word out a little bit. It's called "First World Problem Jar", from the idea of a "swear jar". Whenever you have a first world problem, you hit a button and $1 is sent from your bank account to UNICEF, which is an organization dedicated to helping children in third world countries. After hitting the "donate $1" button an environment opens up to write up your first world problem meme and share it with friends, if you'd like.

The app tries to transform all of that bountiful first world liberal guilt into something productive, letting you donate to starving children in third world countries easily and painlessly, while feeling better about your own problems, and being witty for your friends, all at once. It's free, with no ads.

That's it, and I'm biased, but I think it's a neat idea with the potential to do some real good, especially riding on the heels of the whole first world problem meme. But I have no head for marketing, and this app isn't exactly a money-maker, so I'm not sure what would be effective ways of getting the word out, beyond getting lost in the lottery black hole of Reddit or George Takei's facebook page.

So, getting beyond the obvious shameless self-promotion of this post, does anyone have any magical ideas for super cheap marketing that gets the word out to the first world masses?
Technical Ben wrote:PS, doogly, way to miss the point.
Malconstant

Re: App Micro-Donation To Charity Model

Postby Jacque » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:40 pm UTC

Email some editors at tech sites?
Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Bassoon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:42 pm UTC

Wait, so just a tap of the button and then your money is sent to UNICEF? No confirmation? Seems easily abused. Someone's phone could get lost/stolen and the thief could donate all of their money to UNICEF with just a few minutes of tapping. I mean, there's no real gain for them, but still, it seems easily abused.
Bassoon

Postby Malconstant » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:53 pm UTC

Bassoon wrote:Wait, so just a tap of the button and then your money is sent to UNICEF? No confirmation? Seems easily abused. Someone's phone could get lost/stolen and the thief could donate all of their money to UNICEF with just a few minutes of tapping. I mean, there's no real gain for them, but still, it seems easily abused.

It's the same system that you use to buy an app, or purchase any in-app products. Hitting the button takes you to a Google Play (the new Android Market) interface where you do need to hit one more button to confirm it, so there is that. But yeah, maximally streamlining the donation process like that was the whole point. I suppose I'm willing to cross the thief-steals-phone-to-donate-lots-of-money-to-UNICEF bridge when that problem rears it's unexpectedly-philanthropic head.
Technical Ben wrote:PS, doogly, way to miss the point.
Malconstant

Postby Bassoon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:49 pm UTC

I'm a bit more comfortable with this app now that I know there's a confirmation page and all. Try sending an email about it to magazine editors, like PC World or Mac World, as well as Popular Science and the like? I know most tech magazines love to publish stuff about apps for smartphones. This doesn't seem so irrelevant as to not get included. Try talking to UNICEF itself, as well. They might be willing to put an ad up on their own website, which would help increase exposure. You DID potshot Reddit in your first post, but it's still a good idea, and I think that there are plenty of people who use Reddit who would be likely to read it, use it, and upvote it.
Bassoon

Postby Adam C » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:26 pm UTC

What a great way to raise money! My friends and I are always talking about "first world problems", but connecting that to a charity takes no stretch of the imagination. This is exactly why I became a social worker and why I like to encourage others to look into that career path as well. If you enjoy helping others and want a job to reflect that, take a look at my website, http://socialsciencedegree.net, or Global Impact's website, http://www.charity.org/, to be inspired to do more.
As far as free marketing goes, I have found that nothing is better than social media. I know you will probably hear this thousands of times, but when people go to search for first world problems on these sites, they will easily find you! I wish I could help more, but I guess what I can do is buy the app and use it whenever I can :D . I'll also be telling my friends all about it, and hopefully the word of mouth will help you as well.
Adam C

Return to Your art and links