1029: "Drawing Stars"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: 1029: "Drawing Stars"

Postby WolfieMario » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:57 pm UTC

standingwave wrote:I've been invoking Earth every time I draw a star and had no idea. Good for Earth, I guess. :roll:
Kaelin wrote:I've used the Fire-banishing order and never had a problem making it come out right.
Adacore wrote:I think I instinctively draw spirit-banishing stars. No wonder my life is so unfulfilled :lol:

Oh dear, what have I invoked? :lol:

I decided to make a chart of the people on this thread describing their star-drawing-style here:
Also, one where the banishers and invokers cancel each other (and only the five "elements" are counted :P):

I myself usually end up drawing 7-point stars whenever I go to draw a star. I like how they look, but I swear most the time it's not a conscious choice :roll:

Also, a while back I got bored and used Blender to make some stars, and superimposed a few:
Spoiler:
"Sometimes game development isn't about doing what is nice to everyone all the time." - Jens Bergensten
WolfieMario

Postby Tyrannosaur » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:24 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Don't know whether this has been posted or not, but it needed to be.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfJzrmS9UfY&feature=g-vrec&context=G2942fd5RVAAAAAAAACQ

!! Thats an awesome video! Vihart is amazingly entertaining, I was introduced via her "squiggles" video
djessop wrote:The t-shirt should read "There are 11 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who insist the number above is pronounced as eleven no matter what base you're in".
Tyrannosaur

Postby whateveries » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:16 pm UTC

Will wrote:
Роберт wrote:
neoliminal wrote:I have the hardest time drawing the &

Would it help if I told you that Latin for "and" is Et?

Probably not, since the typical ampersand symbol in use today bears only a passing resemblance to the Et ligature that inspired it. And writing & by hand is absolutely nothing like writing Et by hand.

without Gary Gygax (oh ok and that Arneson guy, whatever.) I suspect the ampersand would have faded out of use a long time ago.
it's fine.
whateveries

Postby madaco » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:25 pm UTC

whateveries wrote:without Gary Gygax (oh ok and that Arneson guy, whatever.) I suspect the ampersand would have faded out of use a long time ago.

I assume this implies that keyboards with the character did not exist before that point?
What do you think people would use instead of a&&b if not for it?
would a keyboard character for the logical and symbol be made? would one just use the caret key?
then what you be used for xor?
though madaco is my username I am in not affiliated with the company of that name, I picked the username for other reasons.If I say things that you find rude, I apologize, I will likely realize my mistake and fix it.<wit here>
madaco

Postby ekolis » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:05 am UTC

WizenedEE wrote:This is my favorite way to draw stars (Tip: It really freaks people out if you do this to grade tests while they're watching)
drawingstar.gif

Ooh, looks extra satanic now, what with the elongated horns!
Reading posts on the xkcd forum makes me feel stupid.
ekolis

Postby Actaeus » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:33 am UTC

Pffft. Is that pentagram thing based on anything older than a century?

I don't trust New Agers and their ilk, they abuse both myth and science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing

Most common choice: water destroying fire.
Actaeus

Postby whateveries » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:00 am UTC

madaco wrote:
whateveries wrote:without Gary Gygax (oh ok and that Arneson guy, whatever.) I suspect the ampersand would have faded out of use a long time ago.

I assume this implies that keyboards with the character did not exist before that point?
would a keyboard character for the logical and symbol be made? would one just use the caret key?

Well, there is that small chestnut, I guess. Take my humilation as a lesson kiddies. Gary Gygax only jumped on a bandwagon, clearly driven by George Boole, who ultimately is responsible for all the weird little symbols all over your clicky-clacky-alphabety thing.

Spoiler:
edited for some more silliness although how helpful would a keyboard with the logic gates be...

it's fine.
whateveries

Postby whateveries » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:19 am UTC

Actaeus wrote:Pffft. Is that pentagram thing based on anything older than a century?

with you on that one.

in terms of pentagrams and their usage by western culture, well...how do you like them apples
it's fine.
whateveries

Postby keithl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:20 am UTC

I do not understand these so called star pictures. My star pictures are tiny little yellow-white dots on black paper. Except when they are tiny little red dots like Betelgeuse or blue dots like Sirius. Or go supernova, and the paper catches fire.
Philosophy is the culmination of mankind's quest to prove there is nothing worth thinking about.
keithl

Postby ubikuberalles » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:29 pm UTC

standingwave wrote:I've been invoking Earth every time I draw a star and had no idea. Good for Earth, I guess. :roll:

And I've been banishing Spirit every time I drew a star without knowing it. Explains why there are no ghosts in my house, I guess.
Ranch!
ubikuberalles

Postby soul1355 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:07 pm UTC

Totally did this about 5 times that day before I gave up drawing the star all together. First time I've tried in years too. Get out of my head, Randall.
soul1355

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:40 pm UTC

WolfieMario wrote:Also, a while back I got bored and used Blender to make some stars, and superimposed a few:
Spoiler:

Epic Spirograph!
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image
Have fun on your blitz, TieSoul!
BlitzGirl

Location: In the 2030s. (Ketchup required 1522-32, 1633-50, 1879-86.)

Postby bigjeff5 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:00 pm UTC

bigchiefbc wrote:Fire-banisher this whole time. And yet I'm a Leo, which is a fire sign. I feel like my whole life is a lie ...

As a fellow Leo fire banisher, I say don't be ashamed! Instead, revel your mastery over fire, such that it must flee when you are near! Without us and our power over fire to keep it in check, the Sun would surely have exploded long ago! I'm so good at it that it's currently -30F where I am right now!

Also, regarding Nazi's ruining perfectly good symbols, the swastika itself is a benign religious symbol used in Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, and others I'm sure, which was appropriated by the Nazi's probably just because they thought it looked cool (and it does look cool - thanks for ruining it for us Nazi assholes!).

Since the negative connotation with the swastika is almost exclusively a US/European thing, you'll still see them all over India, China, and Japan as a symbol generally referring to or encouraging good fortune. This is one symbol I don't see the west taking back any time soon, since it was never really a part of western traditions except in regard to Nazism. I think that's unfortunate.
bigjeff5

Postby bigjeff5 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:14 pm UTC

whateveries wrote:
Actaeus wrote:Pffft. Is that pentagram thing based on anything older than a century?

with you on that one.

in terms of pentagrams and their usage by western culture, well...how do you like them apples

You should note that the paragraph suggesting bobbing for apples originated as a fertility symbol, and that the pentagram shape of a sliced was used to determine marriages has zero references.

This doesn't mean it is wrong, it just means you have to trust the authority of some guy on the internet who you don't know and have no way of verifying his credentials in lieu of more convincing evidence*.

I don't.

*This could be exactly what you are trying to point out, I can't tell. If so, bravo, and my post will probably help the clueless. If not, well...
bigjeff5

Postby madaco » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:47 am UTC

whateveries wrote:
madaco wrote:

Well, there is that small chestnut, I guess. Take my humilation as a lesson kiddies. Gary Gygax only jumped on a bandwagon, clearly driven by George Boole, who ultimately is responsible for all the weird little symbols all over your clicky-clacky-alphabety thing.

Spoiler:
edited for some more silliness although how helpful would a keyboard with the logic gates be...

those questions were not rhetorical.
They were actual questions that I expected you would be better equipped to answer than I am.
I suppose I was unclear in that.
I was honestly unsure and looking for clarification and your speculation on what it would be line.
It (my post) was not intended as an attack.
I obviously don't know the timeline of such things.
Now I suppose that the way I wrote it may have been somewhat influenced by surprise.

also yes.
It would be convenient to have those on the keyboard.
Sorry for any misunderstanding, and also your comeback to my imagined attack (I may, of course, be imagining your post acting as a comeback) was well done.
though madaco is my username I am in not affiliated with the company of that name, I picked the username for other reasons.If I say things that you find rude, I apologize, I will likely realize my mistake and fix it.<wit here>
madaco

Postby whateveries » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:02 am UTC

bigjeff5 wrote:
whateveries wrote:

with you on that one.

You should note that the paragraph suggesting bobbing for apples originated as a fertility symbol, and that the pentagram shape of a sliced was used to determine marriages has zero references.

This doesn't mean it is wrong, it just means you have to trust the authority of some guy on the internet who you don't know and have no way of verifying his credentials in lieu of more convincing evidence*.

I don't.

*This could be exactly what you are trying to point out, I can't tell. If so, bravo, and my post will probably help the clueless. If not, well...

ahhh, I was lazy and posted a link to the first thing that googles goblins proffered up, I remembered the apple seed thing from I think a Barbara Walker book about symbolism, or something, which may have references, but seriously, magical pentagrams are a silly thing to put too much effort into knowing a great deal about. I prefer to waste my time in other silly pursuits.

madaco wrote:those questions were not rhetorical.
They were actual questions that I expected you would be better equipped to answer than I am.
I suppose I was unclear in that.
I was honestly unsure and looking for clarification and your speculation on what it would be line.
It (my post) was not intended as an attack.
I obviously don't know the timeline of such things.
Now I suppose that the way I wrote it may have been somewhat influenced by surprise.

also yes.
It would be convenient to have those on the keyboard.
Sorry for any misunderstanding, and also your comeback to my imagined attack (I may, of course, be imagining your post acting as a comeback) was well done.

I didn't take it as an attack :) merely a witty observation that my (thorw away) logic was faulty, which it (unsuprisingly to me) was. also, the first time I noticed an ampersand was on the cover of the d&d books of my youth, so the two are inextricably linked in my neural pathways. (now I can't see an ampersand without wanting to kill an orc.)
it's fine.
whateveries

Previous

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads