0029: "Hitler"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: 0029: "Hitler"

Postby J Thomas » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:
JesseScottOwen wrote:I want a law named after me. Like Godwin's Law, or Poe's Law.

Maybe Owen's Law will be, "Any person who has been a member of a interweb forum longer then you have been a member of the forum is smarter and better than you, and gets to win. EVERYTHING."

Oh, and: Hitler.
Actually, given what you just wrote may I propose: "Post count does not correlate with intelligence or worth as a human being."

His post count is 5, and yours is in the hundreds. So if his law is right then so are you.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.
J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby JesseScottOwen » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:09 pm UTC

J Thomas wrote:
Red Hal wrote:
JesseScottOwen wrote:I want a law named after me. Like Godwin's Law, or Poe's Law.

Maybe Owen's Law will be, "Any person who has been a member of a interweb forum longer then you have been a member of the forum is smarter and better than you, and gets to win. EVERYTHING."

Oh, and: Hitler.
Actually, given what you just wrote may I propose: "Post count does not correlate with intelligence or worth as a human being."

His post count is 5, and yours is in the hundreds. So if his law is right then so are you.

So, the only way for all humans to be equal is for everyone to be a member of at least two web forums, one of which they joined later than another person, and the other they joined before another person. Or something like that.
"And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them."

I'm giving up smiling for Lent. Not really.
JesseScottOwen

Postby Red Hal » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:19 am UTC

Actually my posts number in the thousands, but I prefer to hang around in parts of this forum that don't increment your postcount, hence my statement. Especially here on XKCD it is entirely possible for somone to have been here for three years, be well known and respected on the board, be an active participant in many discussions, and yet still have a postcount below ten. Among the many things I like about this place, that is one of them.

Oh, and JesseScottOwen? All humans are equal, it's just that some of them don't put that into practice.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."
Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Weeks » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:50 am UTC

I choose to believe JSO was not being serious.
Magnanimous wrote:If it begs you to switch browsers, would it be Internet Implorer?
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Re: 0029: Hitler

Postby ijuin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:02 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:Hitler often claimed to be something of a frustrated artist, and art was certainly one of his major interests throughout his life. He probably sold several thousand paintings and postcards during his stay in Vienna, some of which turn up even today. Hitler himself made no great claims to greatness as a painter (architecture was something else....). There was a thriving market for his paintings during the Third Reich — and even today, there are eager collectors.

Doubtless, a good portion of the sales after the beginning of the Third Reich were driven by his fame/status and not simply by their value as artworks. Many people would want to own a painting by their country's leader who would not buy an identical painting if it was by a nobody.
ijuin

Re: 0029: Hitler

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:24 am UTC

ijuin wrote:
PM 2Ring wrote:Hitler often claimed to be something of a frustrated artist, and art was certainly one of his major interests throughout his life. He probably sold several thousand paintings and postcards during his stay in Vienna, some of which turn up even today. Hitler himself made no great claims to greatness as a painter (architecture was something else....). There was a thriving market for his paintings during the Third Reich — and even today, there are eager collectors.

Doubtless, a good portion of the sales after the beginning of the Third Reich were driven by his fame/status and not simply by their value as artworks. Many people would want to own a painting by their country's leader who would not buy an identical painting if it was by a nobody.

No doubt. And I assume that the eager collectors of today mentioned in that quote collect his work because it was done by Hitler, not because it's brilliant art.
I posted that link (primarily) in support of zmic's statement, so that people could see that Hitler was actually a competent artist. Granted, he was no master, but he could paint. And I bet that plenty of people who didn't like the modern styles of Picasso, etc, were more comfortable with Hitler's traditional style.
PM 2Ring

Postby @maniexx » Sat May 12, 2012 6:35 pm UTC

This has been taken to a new level.
(image hidden)
Spoiler:

http://hipsterhitler.com/comics/eastern-front/
‮2‮0‮0‮1‮/‮m‮o‮c‮.‮d‮c‮k‮x
@maniexx

Postby Beatrice The Golden » Sat May 12, 2012 8:01 pm UTC

On a different (still related) topic - this comic is so great that it even provokes alternative interpretations!

Let's read 4th panel once more...

"Maybe there IS a god, but he's a real art lover."

So... in fact, god really liked Hitler's paintings!
He made him start a war knowing that Hitler will die in the process, so he could drag him to the afterworld to enjoy his paintings by himself!
(Although there are few flaws in this logic, Hitler going to heaven is one, but le'ts skip over it, shall we?)

By that logic, the first part of alt text would be a sarcastic statement about how the last panel could be interpreted... it's all falling into place!

Mhmmmm...

(damn. Ate too many cookies)
Humans view problems differently depending on whether or not they are guaranteed to be solvable
Beatrice The Golden

Postby @maniexx » Sun May 13, 2012 4:40 pm UTC

Beatrice The Golden wrote:
(damn. Ate too many cookies)

I want some of theese cookies!
‮2‮0‮0‮1‮/‮m‮o‮c‮.‮d‮c‮k‮x
@maniexx

Previous

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads