The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby wam » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:35 pm UTC

Snark wrote:@Tim

Augh! I wish I could. Game looks great, but unfortunately I've been reading the spoilers.

See if I ever read another spoiler again.... stupid me

I'm also in exactly the same boat, would love to join in but have been reading spoilers as well.
Come join us playing mafia signup here
wam

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:51 pm UTC

Sorry, I just don't think I can muster up the required enthusiasm to run a game atm, so removing my IT-department game from the queue. Also PM'd Misnomer that he's next and stuff.
I thought I was the worst. Then I met you.
AngrySquirrel
Eats nuts for breakfast...

Postby Misnomer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:47 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:Sorry, I just don't think I can muster up the required enthusiasm to run a game atm, so removing my IT-department game from the queue. Also PM'd Misnomer that he's next and stuff.

I'm up? Cool, it's a little earlier than I had planned, but I should be able to run it. Signups will probably open sometime next week.
Misnomer

Postby Lataro » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:49 pm UTC

pokemon PYP:

Spoiler:
What is the bastard factor of that post? I think it's pretty fucking high.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."
Lataro

Postby t1mm01994 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:03 pm UTC

Lataro wrote:pokemon PYP:

Spoiler:
What is the bastard factor of that post? I think it's pretty fucking high.

@Lataro
Spoiler:
You did give me a good laugh for that, though.. I'm already looking forward to writing the flavour for this night :)
t1mm01994

Postby Mostlynormal » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:55 am UTC

Evil Auction:
Spoiler:
AHHH What the heck T1mm? This is so unhelpful right now. Townie me would be this close to leading a lynch on you, but that would be so unproductive and downright damaging that it's really frustrating. I have to at least FoS you, and now I'll be stuck between a rock and a hard place if you don't normal up, fast.

For those watching, yes, me and T1mm are scumbuddies.
Mostlynormal

Postby ahammel » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:42 am UTC

Political Parties:

Spoiler:
:twisted:

Hmm, n00b-heavy mafia in this one. We'll see how it turns out. I guess joining the Bear party was a tactical error on my part. Even if the mafia did manage to take control for the extra nightkill it would be pretty suspicious. Oh well, I think I my explaination is reasonable. JesseScottOwen did me a favor by basically picking at random; I think he looks scummier than me at the moment. I won't comment on it much more than I already have, but I think that alone might get him lynched.

Should be fun times :D
Glendower wrote:I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur wrote: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
But will they come when you do call for them?
ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby t1mm01994 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:26 am UTC

Evil Auction:
Spoiler:
Lol. Alright, I kind of enjoy this now that I'm awake and sober again... My posts attacking MN were made in a not-too-awake state, and as such, I thought he was the Ancient Vampire.. And I got up, read the thread, and was like.. Hey, I'm scum! Who are my scumbuddies? Oh, it's MN... Derp. So, now to sneak out of this attack without leading a lynch...
t1mm01994

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:00 am UTC

Firefly
Spoiler:
If Misnomer is Mr. Universe then this is hilarious, but I'm pretty sure he's not because that would mean no real Jayne. Although no real Jayne is pretty plausible as how could Jayne not be a Vig but there have been so few kills. And I think Mal was the vig anyway. So maybe...

If he is Mr. U and indie he should claim some other indie character, but we used up all the good ones.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos
BoomFrog

Postby Sungura » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:22 pm UTC

Firefly
Spoiler:
There are plans afoot...this game is about to get very interesting me suspects...I'll give you a hint, something might happen that has only happened once on these forums before.
Zarq wrote:Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby t1mm01994 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:24 pm UTC

@Amy:(Firefly)
Spoiler:
When was the other time?
t1mm01994

Postby _infina_ » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:43 pm UTC

t1mm01994 wrote:@Amy:(Firefly)
Spoiler:
When was the other time?

Firefly:
Spoiler:
I think she is talking about my reavers and comparing them to the Smiths. :twisted:
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu
_infina_

Postby Sungura » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:01 pm UTC

^can I read the above by you infina?

Firefly
Spoiler:
Finally roband has set someone else in his sights before me. And it's someone we agree on, so yay. Finally. About time! Maybe what I mentioned won't happen, or maybe it will...today will tell a lot. The lynch today and any kills/recruits tonight will basically decide the game I think, unless it starts tomorrow same position as today. In which case, shit may hit the fan tomorrow...
Zarq wrote:Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?
Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:03 pm UTC

t1mm01994 wrote:@Amy:(Firefly)
Spoiler:
When was the other time?

Firefly
Spoiler:
Well could be a few things...go back and look at really old games...like Matrix, OOTD's crazy cult game, and Proscription. That's all the clues you get.
Sungura

Postby TheMaskedGecko » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:59 pm UTC

Political Parties
Spoiler:
webby wrote:it's typical of mpolo/TheMaskedGecko to look to stay under the radar as scum

It appears I've got a scum meta while in my first scum game.
ConMan wrote:the neighbourhood’s favourite lizard

Yeah, I don't care if it's out of context, it massages my ego and so it stays.
TheMaskedGecko

Postby Krong » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:02 am UTC

Political Parties:
Spoiler:
Well, there's mafia in both parties, which is fortunate for them should the town recommend secret targets. I think mafia more-or-less has a plan to ride out the Turtle-Bird cop wave. I don't think most townies have noticed yet that the cop chain strategy is heavily dependent on lack of mafia infiltration.

I really wish there was a Bear Party. Ah well.

Also, I'm not sure the town realizes that if they think a party is anti-town, they need to get rid of it earlier rather than later. Town powers are more useful for now, but mafia powers will be much stronger if they can mostly avoid lynching until the end game.

I didn't consider the "no-lynch all the time" strategy. I really don't see it working out, though.
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)
Krong

Postby trineroks » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:49 am UTC

Is this the discussion thread where I post an idea of a Mafia game I would like to host?
trineroks

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:18 am UTC

Yes
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos
BoomFrog

Postby trineroks » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:31 am UTC

Let's see how many people would like this:

Cop Madness!
5 players

Roles:
Sane Cop
Insane Cop
Paranoid Cop
Naive Cop

Mafioso

This is intended to be a short game. Cop sanity will not be revealed to players (obviously). Role will be released upon death and not on the next day like most mafia games run here (sanity not included).

Last wills will also be implemented: a player can send me a last will with anything written on it (such as results of reports, FoSes, analysis, etc). The last will will be seen by all players if that player dies by lynch or night kill.
trineroks

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:30 am UTC

Micro-Deathy, interesting.

Hmm, can the cop who died N1 from a NK leave their N1 investigation results in their last will or is death and investigation simultaneous? I'll assume no, but I thought I'd ask.

The obvious strategy would be to NL twice and leave investigation results in the last will. D3 you'd have:
2 cops with 2 results each
1 dead cop who left one result
1 dead cop
1 mafioso who has presented 2 false cop results.

Without analyzing it too thoroughly I'd guess that you will end up with the mafia in a 50/50 situation with one of the cops and the game could go either way. It's a bit unfair to scum since with even odds they have to play a perfect game to even have a 50% chance to win. Also it'd probably be a bit boring for the two players who die N1 and N2 since there won't be that much meat to the discussion until D3. Not too big a deal and the last wills help a bit with that.

Do something to help scum out a bit but not too much and I'd play it.
BoomFrog

Postby roband » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:05 am UTC

Make it an IRC game so it's faster.

Would work in that setting, I bet.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby t1mm01994 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:12 am UTC

And it would make something happen in IRC, too :P
t1mm01994

Postby Sungura » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:41 pm UTC

roband wrote:Make it an IRC game so it's faster.

Would work in that setting, I bet.

We used to do deathlys like that all the time in the irc. They are fun and fast. N0 always investigate yourself. D1 set up a chain of who investigates who. Nl. You get a death n1 but then d2 it is solvable most the time. If not nl d2 and follow the same investigative chain the next person out. D3 always solvable lynch scum.
Sungura

Postby t1mm01994 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:00 pm UTC

So uhm, with an 100% win chain for town, what's the fun exactly :P
t1mm01994

Postby wam » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:01 pm UTC

Political parties

Spoiler:
I think adam H is looking very scummy and as mpolo and angua jumped to defend him so quickly that makes them suspicous to me as well, although im a complete newbie im probably wrong!
Come join us playing mafia signup here
wam

Postby Sungura » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

t1mm01994 wrote:So uhm, with an 100% win chain for town, what's the fun exactly :P

Its fun when you watch newbies play it who dont know how to use logic and mess it up when there is such an easy formula to win!
Sungura

Postby roband » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:13 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:
t1mm01994 wrote:So uhm, with an 100% win chain for town, what's the fun exactly :P

Its fun when you watch newbies play it who dont know how to use logic and mess it up when there is such an easy formula to win!

Or stupids who can't use logic... :oops:
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby trineroks » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:46 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Micro-Deathy, interesting.

Hmm, can the cop who died N1 from a NK leave their N1 investigation results in their last will or is death and investigation simultaneous? I'll assume no, but I thought I'd ask.

The obvious strategy would be to NL twice and leave investigation results in the last will. D3 you'd have:
2 cops with 2 results each
1 dead cop who left one result
1 dead cop
1 mafioso who has presented 2 false cop results.

Without analyzing it too thoroughly I'd guess that you will end up with the mafia in a 50/50 situation with one of the cops and the game could go either way. It's a bit unfair to scum since with even odds they have to play a perfect game to even have a 50% chance to win. Also it'd probably be a bit boring for the two players who die N1 and N2 since there won't be that much meat to the discussion until D3. Not too big a deal and the last wills help a bit with that.

Do something to help scum out a bit but not too much and I'd play it.
No, reports and death are not simultaneous. Death comes before reports.

And yes, that is one of the more obvious strategies. It would be mylo on D2 anyway. The mafioso needs to play the game wisely and hide behind the correct cop. It's focused on scumhunting, more or less.

What are your suggestions to helping out scum, Boomfrog?
trineroks

Postby Gojoe » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:47 am UTC

I vote that the dethy game be played on tinychat!
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.
Gojoe

Postby trineroks » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:56 am UTC

what's tinychat?
trineroks

Postby roband » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:35 am UTC

Gojoe wrote:I vote that the dethy game be played on tinychat!

Ohshit that sounds fun
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby Krong » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:10 pm UTC

Political Parties:
Spoiler:
So far, party chat has consisted of a quick "hi" amongst the turtles. Mafia chat has been very active... I think this tends to happen with newer players.

Dear Town:

Look, I know you guys think a publicly controlled cop ability and doctor ability is something really awesome and useful. But I hate to break it to you... your weapons are pretty weak. And mafia's weapons will be much stronger the longer you mess around. Saying "we must preserve these powers at all costs, because they are townie powers" is a way to look good to other townies, not a viable strategy for the long run.

A turtle party with a mafia member in it will NEVER save anyone's life. The best it can do is influence a kill not to hit a cop recipient. And even if you've got that, if the mafia has someone in the bird party, they can just kill the cop target, and town learns NOTHING. Assuming that target actually is town, which is something they can argue subtly to get. And even then, they can just kill someone else to confuse you. Oh, and what if the recipient is mafia?

Basically the only case in which Turtle + Bird gets you useful information is when you hit mafia directly, and even then, there's going to be a little uncertainty over whether the cop target or recipient is the true villain.

So, if you're lucky you might find scum using this. Let's say if you tried it three times, you'd hit scum once. Is that good enough? How long can you play this game?

Not long.

3 town vs 3 scum is obviously a scum win -- all scum should be in bear so town can't catch up on kills.
4 v 3 is a scum win if town doesn't control bear from the start.
5 v 3... hmm... scum speedlynch or speeddeadlinelynch is possible...
6 v 3 means a mislynch leads to 4 v 3, so you better all plan to move to bear. Also, if 2 town votes land on the same townie, scum speedlynch is possible, and town better have planned to ALL move to bear before the lynch.

See what I mean? There comes a point very soon where scum doesn't even care if you've copped them.

OTOH, suppose you decide that the current party setup is overrated and abandon them all together. You can dissolve Bear and Fish easily enough, and Monkey too. Then you're left with a very standard game, and more time to find mafia.

Or, have everyone go bear, and kill anyone who doesn't comply. You might need to worry a little about Fish, but not much. Standard game otherwise.

Or, have everyone go bear, except for a few people that are found suspicious. Lynch anyone who doesn't comply. Town now has a double lynch. (This is EP's strategy.)

Just don't get so upset about losing your weak powers of Bird and Turtle that you leave scum with all of their strong powers available.
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)
Krong

Postby fearless » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:24 pm UTC

Sigh, was in a car accident today -_- so if I'm quiet in the next few days it's because I'm busy sorting things out, and hating my life.
Nobody was hurt though...
fearless

Postby Adam H » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:22 pm UTC

Underworld:
Spoiler:
Best. Game. EVER.

I don't even care that I'm going to lose.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby Sungura » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:46 am UTC

Firefly
Spoiler:
I love how there is no unified voting.
angua: oh whatever I dunno vote amy (duh, this is a simple OMGUS lazyvote) Scream reaver much? she's sick of me killing off her buddies. Although maybe the vote doesn't count, it's not blue :P
mpolo: votes for misnomer for the dumbest reason ever, thinks he's controling the kills and killing town. Uhm wtf? the kills have been alliance, reaver, blocked blocked, town but one under heavy suspicion and likely scum and was the 2nd most popular vote. Dumbest reasoning ever. Scream reaver much?
Misnomer: votes boomfrog, at least somewhat good reasons although there are a lot better more applicable targets at the moment

And my vote for mpolo, which just got more substantiated with his shitty reasoned vote. He only didn't vote me so it didn't look like an omgus and aligning with angua.

I want to call out Az to his shitty reasoning in one of his posts too - that I could be original reaver. Uhm...WTF?!?! Why would I have championed the kill-the-reaver-cult then and handed two original reavers and multiple converts to them? I have a suicide of my own team goal? this makes no sense. But I'm just letting it slide, I think he knows it's bad reasoning and he's trying to throw some shit my way to cover me so for now...letting it be.

I swear this whole game people have been shitty at logic and lazy and it just got superworse today.

Hopefully boomfrog, az, and roband will back my mpolo vote.
Sungura

Postby _infina_ » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:38 am UTC

Firefly:
Spoiler:
:facepalm: Town has a slim chance of winning this, reavers are in the best position right now, but if amy can lead the town properly, the alliance will win. It is still not decided, but by the end of the day one faction will be done for.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu
_infina_

Postby trineroks » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:48 am UTC

Guys what's tiny chat?

And fearless, man I hope things work out for ya!
trineroks

Postby Deva » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:54 am UTC

trineroks wrote:Guys what's tiny chat?

A free video chat room service. See here.
Changes its form depending on the observer.
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Vieto » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:46 am UTC

A tinychat game would be interesting.
a.k.a. Cazador
Vieto

Postby Krong » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:58 pm UTC

Political Parties:
Spoiler:
Suppose everyone in the town came to an agreement on a strategy that involves a lot of hand-waving around potential dangers. Then suppose one person is worried about the hand-waving and recommends an alternate strategy, and persists despite people yelling them down. What do you think -- is that person town or scum?

:roll:

Poor webby.

Though this a point I hadn't thought of:
Snark wrote:If 4 people apiece go into Bear/Bird/Turtle, the mafia can lynch 1 Bird and also withdrawal one of their people from Bird. The Bird party will be dissolved and the most information will get is that at least 1 of the 3 (supposed to be Bird/now indy) people are scum.

And of course town can still "cross that bridge when they come to it" and all go Bear when things get dicey. They have to be hyper-aware of when that is, though, and avoiding the discussion now isn't helping with that.

Not sure of the way it's being discussed in scumchat:
TURTLE3 wrote:Plans: If <TURTLE1> or <TURTLE2> get lynched, we kill a turtle and I become indy/fish, dissolving turtle.

There are 3 in turtle now, 3 indies all claiming to join. If 2 get killed, then that's 4 people claiming to join turtle. If turtle somehow dissolves after that, that means that 2 of those 4 people are scum. I don't think scum wants to be that obvious quite yet.
Krong

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia