The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Postby Lostdreams » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:33 pm UTC

Buy petty souls and enchant water breathing on hats/helmets/rings/necklaces. Because water breathing has no scaling numbers, you can use petty souls and get the same effect as grand souls.

If you have the trasmute spell, buy iron ore and petty souls gems then make gold rings. You can make 2 at a time and sell them at profit after enchanting.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.
Lostdreams

Postby not baby Newt » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:45 pm UTC

Or get a reusable soul gem and recharge you soul trapping weapon every kill.
not baby Newt

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:21 pm UTC

That's fine for making boatloads of money by enchanting with grand souls (iirc fortify one-handed yields one of the biggest profits available), but is kind of crap for grinding because it's just one gem.
Treatid basically wrote:widdout elephants deh be no starting points. deh be no ZFC.

(If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Dark567 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:25 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:That's fine for making boatloads of money by enchanting with grand souls (iirc fortify one-handed yields one of the biggest profits available), but is kind of crap for grinding because it's just one gem.
You actually get points toward enchanting for just recharging your enchantments. So kill, recharge, kill, recharge. Every time you kill someone you add to enchanting, so it goes up really fast.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Krealr » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:31 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:You actually get points toward enchanting for just recharging your enchantments. So kill, recharge, kill, recharge. Every time you kill someone you add to enchanting, so it goes up really fast.

Is there some trick to recharging an item easily though? Opening my inventory, finding the item, pressing "t", selecting the appropriate gem, and closing my inventory after every single kill seems really tedious.
Krealr

Postby Dark567 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:37 pm UTC

Krealr wrote:Is there some trick to recharging an item easily though? Opening my inventory, finding the item, pressing "t", selecting the appropriate gem, and closing my inventory after every single kill seems really tedious.
Not as far as I can tell.....it is really tedious. It helps to only have one soul gem, so you don't need to scroll, and to name your weapon something that goes to the top of the list.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:44 pm UTC

When you go into your inventory it should by default go to the same item you selected last.
Treatid basically wrote:widdout elephants deh be no starting points. deh be no ZFC.

(If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Shivahn » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:02 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:But yeah, for enchanting you should really harvest your own souls to make it economically viable.

Harvesting your own souls is better, but if you have a good enchantment (like absorb health, paralyze, or banish) it's entirely worth it to buy even common soul gems. Even with medium enchanting skills I was getting something like 600 septims per iron dagger.
Shivahn

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:41 pm UTC

Hm, I think I have absorb health now. I'll have to go check when I get home to see how much that's worth compared to the souls required.

gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby mosc » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:52 pm UTC

Best enchantment is on a weapon (iron dagger works) and is banish daedra. The value of the item will actually decrease as your enchanting skill improves as the value is tied inversely to the number of uses. More enchanting skill means more uses means less value. using weaker souls gives fewer charges but lowers the level of daedra banished so the two factors cancel each other out in terms of value. Bartering still can raise the price but even a completely new character should be getting >1000 septims for an iron dagger with the worst imaginable banish daedra enchant on it made with whatever soulgem and soul you can get your hands on. Considering anyone can make iron daggers out of leather strips and iron ore, this is easily the most effective money maker in the game while simultaneously raising your enchant, smithing, and bartering.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby omgryebread » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:27 am UTC

Summon Dremora + Paralyze > any enemy. Really Summon Dremora on it's own works fine, paralyze is icing on the murdercake.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.
omgryebread

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:57 am UTC

omgryebread wrote:Summon Dremora + Paralyze > any enemy. Really Summon Dremora on it's own works fine, paralyze is icing on the murdercake.

While sneaking--At some point you've nuked all the smurfs.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby mosc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:16 pm UTC

My mace hits for 536, what are you guys wasting your time with? Just swing.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.
mosc

Postby omgryebread » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:52 pm UTC

mosc wrote:My mace hits for 536, what are you guys wasting your time with? Just swing.
On an effort/result ratio, I think Dremora Lords beat all. Cast a spell twice, go get a drink, come back to loot whatever you were fighting.
omgryebread

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:52 pm UTC

So the main UESP page for Skyrim includes the following sentence: "Now great adventurer, free yourself from bondage; take up blade or spell, bow or axe; fulfill your destiny or watch as the world ends around you."

And as someone else mentioned earlier, I want to know why I can't side with the dragons. I am dragonborn, after all, so wouldn't that make more sense than wanting to commit genocide against them? Why can't I decide I like the stories of the ancient dragon priests and their cruel dominion over the mortal races in Skyrim?

I mean, sure, I can avoid killing Alduin, but there are no actual consequences to that. I want an option on par with putting FEV in the water in Fallout 3 or siding with the Legion in Fallout NV.

(If anyone knows of a mod that allows or is a WIP eventually planned to allow such a thing, please direct me to it.)

gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Dark567 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:56 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I mean, sure, I can avoid killing Alduin, but there are no actual consequences to that. I want an option on par with putting FEV in the water in Fallout 3 or siding with the Legion in Fallout NV.
Or nuking the city....

I really need to replay FO3 as a bad guy sometime.

Dark567

Postby Vaniver » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:02 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:And as someone else mentioned earlier, I want to know why I can't side with the dragons. I am dragonborn, after all, so wouldn't that make more sense than wanting to commit genocide against them? Why can't I decide I like the stories of the ancient dragon priests and their cruel dominion over the mortal races in Skyrim?
Probably because they decided one Warp In The West was enough, which is the downside of having a strongly connected series of games as opposed to a standalone game (like FO:NV).
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.
Vaniver

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:49 pm UTC

They could've just declared that if you sided with the dragons, the dragons 'willingly' merge with you, and you ascend to godhood or something.

But anyway, I wish there was a third (fourth?) option in the civil war. You are Dragonborn. Tiber Septim was Dragonborn. Therefore Tamriel belongs to you. Conquer Skyrim in your name, rather than doing all the lifting of that pretender to the throne or that racist asshole.
CorruptUser

Postby omgryebread » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:17 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:So the main UESP page for Skyrim includes the following sentence: "Now great adventurer, free yourself from bondage; take up blade or spell, bow or axe; fulfill your destiny or watch as the world ends around you."

And as someone else mentioned earlier, I want to know why I can't side with the dragons. I am dragonborn, after all, so wouldn't that make more sense than wanting to commit genocide against them? Why can't I decide I like the stories of the ancient dragon priests and their cruel dominion over the mortal races in Skyrim?

I mean, sure, I can avoid killing Alduin, but there are no actual consequences to that. I want an option on par with putting FEV in the water in Fallout 3 or siding with the Legion in Fallout NV.

(If anyone knows of a mod that allows or is a WIP eventually planned to allow such a thing, please direct me to it.)
Out of universe explanation: they'd have to pull a FNV and have the game end after the final battle, which was kind of lame, and not really what they wanted to go for in Skyrim, I think.

In universe: Being dragonborn is a gift from Akatosh and/or Lorkhan giving you "the soul of a dragon." It suggests more of an alignment with those gods rather than the dragons. There's no mention of dragons besides Akatosh in any of the lore surrounding Alessia, and Reman Cyrodiil's Blades actively hunted down dragons. The dragons probably aren't too big of a fan of the fact you have to kill them to power yourself, as well.

Furthermore, you're Dragonborn for the purpose of defeating Alduin. It's possible the Dragonborn is even an avatar of Akatosh and/or Lorkhan/Shor and/or Talos (who is possibly an avatar of either or both of the aforementioned deities.) You can't side with the dragons because that's not what the gods made you to do, and it's hard to say how much free will an avatar of the gods would have.

CorruptUser wrote:But anyway, I wish there was a third (fourth?) option in the civil war. You are Dragonborn. Tiber Septim was Dragonborn. Therefore Tamriel belongs to you. Conquer Skyrim in your name, rather than doing all the lifting of that pretender to the throne or that racist asshole.
The Dragonborn's claim to the throne was through the Covenant between St. Alessia and Akatosh. When Martin Septim mantled Akatosh and the Amulet of Kings was destroyed, it's arguable that the Dragonborn's claim to the throne is no more valid than any other. Both Reman Cyrodiil and Tiber Septim used the Amulet to make their claims and establish the second and third empires. I do wish there was a "stfu, I'm the High King now" option, though.
omgryebread

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:13 pm UTC

Yeah, at some point it really does make sense for the player character to say screw this, I can kill freaking Gods, I'm taking over you puny mortals and instituting a planned economy. There's far too many shopkeepers and far too little agriculture going on here.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:21 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:They could've just declared that if you sided with the dragons, the dragons 'willingly' merge with you, and you ascend to godhood or something.

But anyway, I wish there was a third (fourth?) option in the civil war. You are Dragonborn. Tiber Septim was Dragonborn. Therefore Tamriel belongs to you. Conquer Skyrim in your name, rather than doing all the lifting of that pretender to the throne or that racist asshole.

That would be a pretty awesome option, but I missed the more covert sides to the war more, the blades and thalmor. It should have been possible to side with each of them RE:civil war, it would be a lot more fitting for a sneaky character because neither side can really openly engage in the civil war and neither side really cares who wins, with the blades and thalmor, it's more a question of whether anyone wins than who which, to my mind, is a more interesting line to go down.
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby IcedT » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:49 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote: But anyway, I wish there was a third (fourth?) option in the civil war. You are Dragonborn. Tiber Septim was Dragonborn. Therefore Tamriel belongs to you. Conquer Skyrim in your name, rather than doing all the lifting of that pretender to the throne or that racist asshole.

Seeing as
Spoiler:
you can kill the Emperor
I think they have something specific planned for the Imperial succession.
IcedT

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:39 am UTC

IcedT wrote:
CorruptUser wrote: But anyway, I wish there was a third (fourth?) option in the civil war. You are Dragonborn. Tiber Septim was Dragonborn. Therefore Tamriel belongs to you. Conquer Skyrim in your name, rather than doing all the lifting of that pretender to the throne or that racist asshole.

Seeing as
Spoiler:
you can kill the Emperor
I think they have something specific planned for the Imperial succession.

I think it seems more like they're moving towards a post-Roman society where more local lords spring up as rulers.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:45 pm UTC

Has anyone got tips for Stealth characters? I just started my first, and it's mostly consisted of failing to get the sneak bonus with daggers and then just hitting them until they die. Bows seem to be better, but I still only get one or two hits off before I have to switch to close combat.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.
SirBryghtside

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:00 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Has anyone got tips for Stealth characters? I just started my first, and it's mostly consisted of failing to get the sneak bonus with daggers and then just hitting them until they die. Bows seem to be better, but I still only get one or two hits off before I have to switch to close combat.

Keep leveling sneak. Just sneak around people. Etc... Eventually it gets to the point of ridiculously easy. Also, thieves guild and dark brotherhood are nice for armor bonuses. Cast the muffle spell.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby omgryebread » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:09 am UTC

Don't be afraid to not kill. You can sneak past some enemies (especially on the road) just fine, and you shouldn't feel like you're losing much in opportunity, because you don't get experience for kills, and the shots to take out that cat aren't huge for your skills in the long run. If you're not going for a kill, just trying to sneak past, and you keep getting detected, get naked. If you don't have Muffled Movement and Silence, it's a lot easier to sneak.

Like Jahoclave said, once you get sneak high, it's very easy to sneak up and get kills.

Clear out lots and lots of tombs. Sleeping draugr are very easy to sneak up on, and you can often get in two dagger swings stealthed. If you run into draugr you can't fight, you can almost always find a trap. Blade-hallways are the best, especially if you have Become Ethereal shout (if not just sprint). Flame traps work great as well, and a ward spell will protect you from damage there. Swinging spike walls are common and really effective (don't run to the side, jump directly over the plate to lead the draugr correctly. All the traps can be used on other baddies in dungeons, but draugr are the easiest to clean out for characters that don't just hit things in the head.

If you're not averse to doing a pretty decent amount of magic, illusion is your best friend. If something detects you, make them run away! Or use calm as a reset button to walk away, then get a second chance to sneak up and backstab them. Rather than trying to stealth kill a whole room, stealth-fury them and reward the weakened survivor with a backstab.
omgryebread

Postby Will » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:51 am UTC

Yeah, as mentioned, you don't need to get kills in order to level sneak--you just need to sneak around people. I might suggest pickpocketing and stealing shit as a way to give yourself stuff to do that forces you to sneak to get your skill up. Joining the thieve's guild couldn't hurt.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon
Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Jessica » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:47 am UTC

Skyrim updated, and now I've lost my PC friendly interface
:(
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:30 am UTC

After extensive testing, I have determined that my game no longer works with any mods, including the official hi-res texture pack.
If I try to load a game with any mods enabled, it will either load indefinitely, or crash after a minute or two of loading.

Without mods seems to work though.

I haven't really played since before the last patch, so I dunno if that is what caused or something else.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby An Enraged Platypus » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:55 pm UTC

So what do the Skyrim faithful make of this?

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/elde ... -20120316/

I'm dreading it :(
We consider every day a plus/To spend it with a platypus/We're always so ecstatic/'Cause he's semi-aquatic!

- Phineas & Ferb
An Enraged Platypus

Postby ShootTheChicken » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:57 pm UTC

Yeah, not so sure about that. I have a fair bit of faith in Bethesda though. What I really want is a co-op game, not MMO. Co-op Skyrim would be the bees knees.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.
ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:59 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:After extensive testing, I have determined that my game no longer works with any mods, including the official hi-res texture pack.
Have you checked the integrity of local files, or whatever that option on Steam is called?

gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby emceng » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:53 pm UTC

An Enraged Platypus wrote:So what do the Skyrim faithful make of this?

Didn't read it because I can't at work. Assuming they're making an MMO.

I'm not dreading it. I'll just not play it. I'm more worried they'll stop making single player games. And that would suck. I look at TOR. It feels like Knights 3. Except I have to pay $15 a month. There's no community, no reason to be an MMO other than have a few more people around. Really, the multiplayer would work just as well if it was like Neverwinter Nights. Or to get back on topic - if they'd made KOTOR3, it would have been the same or a better game. Just less profitable.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis
emceng

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:59 pm UTC

An Enraged Platypus wrote:So what do the Skyrim faithful make of this?

Not gonna happen. I have never seen a true article on video games that comes from someone only described as an 'industry source'. The only times leaks happen are intentionally or through carelessness (like the 'dragonlord' article that came out 3 weeks before Skyrim's announcement), and this is neither.

However, if it is true, I would either hate the new direction or swallow my pride and buy my first MMO. 50/50 either way. I already picked the first option with WarCraft, and didn't look back.

Edit: Oh yeah, and because it might be an issue with some people - it's doubtful that Bethesda Game Studios will stop making single-player games. Zenimax Online, a different studio, is sorting out the MMO. That said, I am kind of paranoid about it anyway.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.
SirBryghtside

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:47 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:After extensive testing, I have determined that my game no longer works with any mods, including the official hi-res texture pack.
Have you checked the integrity of local files, or whatever that option on Steam is called?

Yeah, and the problem persists.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby mosc » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:11 pm UTC

I'm just hoping this latest patch fixes blood on the Ice. I'm missing a housecarl damnit.
mosc

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

Sir Sideburns isn't in your squad? Shame.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Jessica » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:07 pm UTC

Who's sir Sideburns?

I've been wandering the land with my mercenary mage-puncher for most of the game. I've come to enjoy his only joke everytime I give him stuff to carry. It's like an old friend. "Do I get to keep it? Just kidding!"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE SO FUNNY BECAUSE YOU SAY IT EVERY TIME!!!
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Who's sir Sideburns?
Calder And only because it sounds better than Sir Muttonchops.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Will » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:08 pm UTC

You mean there're other followers than just Lydia? Who knew?
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon
Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming