Fluff

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Angua » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:50 pm UTC

roband wrote:Your webcam should have come with software, normally I think.

Who used jsMath? :roll:
One is the laptop webcam, and the other was just 'plug and go', so no software.
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Panonadin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:08 pm UTC

You can use Skype!!

Would work on XP, Vista, and Windows 7!!

I know that my old windows XP box had generic web cam software for windows but I don't know if that was something I searched for or not.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.
Panonadin

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:14 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Can you adblock jsMath?
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2012-03-27 à 20.49.03.png
Last edited by Menacing Spike on Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Menacing Spike

Postby Panonadin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:

Can you post in American please?
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.
Panonadin

Postby emceng » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:22 pm UTC

So the NFL is considering automatically doing replay review for every turnover. Wow, what a great idea! Just what the NFL needs, games with more lengthy interruptions between plays.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis
emceng

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:46 pm UTC

Panonadin wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:

Can you post in American please?

This is a screenshot of how to adblock jsmath.

I trust you can read the url? The rest of the text doesn't matter.
Menacing Spike

Postby Panonadin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:49 pm UTC

I was kidding charmander, please don't burn me.
Panonadin

Postby Angua » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:50 pm UTC

I tried using skype but it only let's me capture the picture of the person I"m talking to. Or do I go into the profile pictures, save, and then find the file inside the skype program files?
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Garm » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:00 pm UTC

emceng wrote:So the NFL is considering automatically doing replay review for every turnover. Wow, what a great idea! Just what the NFL needs, games with more lengthy interruptions between plays.

More interruptions means more commercials which means more money for the NFL. Fans? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK
Garm

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:15 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I tried using skype but it only let's me capture the picture of the person I"m talking to. Or do I go into the profile pictures, save, and then find the file inside the skype program files?

Yes.
broken_escalator wrote:Everyone knows afros are a hard counter to petrification.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby The Cat » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:48 pm UTC

Damn shame about Mr. Cameron's dive.
The Cat

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

From what I've read, the dive was a success. What's the shame?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:54 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:From what I've read, the dive was a success. What's the shame?

Man was not meant to venture to such places.
The card wrote:GO TO THE CIRCUS. FIREWORKS AND WHISTLES, LION TAMERS AND CLOWNS. HOO RAH.
Magnanimous

Postby Panonadin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:06 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:From what I've read, the dive was a success. What's the shame?

I was going to ask the same thing but meh.

He did have to cut the dive short by quite a bit due to some hydrolic issues. Other than that it seems and overall success!!
Panonadin

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:56 am UTC

So, I haven't actually spent time watching TV in about 4.5 years. Has the whole "at 7pm, 6pm Central" thing gone away? That was due, I suppose, to the fact that Eastern and Central time zones shared channels, and Pacific just got everything 3 hours later so it would be 7pm for both Eastern and Pacific. Although I never figured out what happened with Mountain time. I guess in the above situation, they'd get it at 8pm from Pacific channels?

But now I'm seeing "7pm, 4pm Pacific" as though it's the same channel and same broadcast time no matter where you live. Is that the new thing now? Or is it just some weird channels doing that?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby Dark567 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:35 am UTC

Garm wrote:More interruptions means more commercials which means more money for the NFL. Fans? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
I don't really care. The games are always a party for me, so that just means longer party.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:16 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:So, I haven't actually spent time watching TV in about 4.5 years. Has the whole "at 7pm, 6pm Central" thing gone away? That was due, I suppose, to the fact that Eastern and Central time zones shared channels, and Pacific just got everything 3 hours later so it would be 7pm for both Eastern and Pacific. Although I never figured out what happened with Mountain time. I guess in the above situation, they'd get it at 8pm from Pacific channels?

But now I'm seeing "7pm, 4pm Pacific" as though it's the same channel and same broadcast time no matter where you live. Is that the new thing now? Or is it just some weird channels doing that?

I've never heard of that before. They still say 9/8 central, something like that.
broken_escalator wrote:Everyone knows afros are a hard counter to petrification.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname

Postby poxic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:23 am UTC

"7pm, 4 Pacific" would be a simulcast (or whateveritscalled) event, such as a football game. People want to watch that stuff in real time, not three hours later after the rest of the country knows how it ended. If it's a normal TV show or news program, "7pm" would mean "7pm local time, anywhere".
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

The illusion which exalts us is dearer to us than ten thousand truths.
- Aleksandr Pushkin, poet, novelist, and playwright (1799-1837)
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:23 am UTC

No. The channel was The Hub, which is a new-ish channel so maybe it doesn't have separate east and west versions or something.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby The Cat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:05 am UTC

From what I've read, the dive was a success. What's the shame?

He did have to cut the dive short by quite a bit due to some hydrolic issues. Other than that it seems and overall success!!

I though he had to turn around almost as soon as he hit bottom...It's a shame he didn't get to spent more time on the floor. I was hoping for new species. El camerones de hades!
The Cat

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:51 pm UTC

Nope, he spent a good 3 hours down there. That's far longer than the previous dive in the 60s.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby The Cat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:53 pm UTC

Awesome! I can't wait for the Nat Geo special. thx.
The Cat

Postby Xeio » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:50 pm UTC

Gah, must read NSFW tags, must not click through to Wikipedia without reading said tags, because damnit Wikipedia.
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Panonadin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:00 pm UTC

Yeah, they're were apparently quite a few issues that I didn't know about until now.

He did plan 6 hours and not 3, which I knew, but they were also supposed to drop an un manned probe before his landing to attract things like predators and fish so he could observe them. The hydrolic arm broke so he didn't get to take any samples and he lost thrusters on the starbard side so he couldn't even travel far.

All in all a success, but not even close to what it should have been. Oh well, there is always next time.
Panonadin

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:04 pm UTC

I did try to watch the last Superbowl as the BBC decided to show it, but the repeated interruptions in play got boring very quickly. I gave up after the first quarter. On the bright side, I do now feel fully justified in mocking American football as a wimpy version of rugby, having watched them both.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.
Plasma Man

Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby roband » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:53 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:I did try to watch the last Superbowl as the BBC decided to show it, but the repeated interruptions in play got boring very quickly. I gave up after the first quarter. On the bright side, I do now feel fully justified in mocking American football as a wimpy version of rugby, having watched them both.

I rather enjoy American Football, but it's still fun to make fun.
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger

Postby TimelordSimone » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:05 pm UTC

I stayed up with my housemate and watched the Superbowl last year, but I think I paid more attention to Americans on Twitter talking about the adverts than I did the game.
I mostly lurk. Hello.
TimelordSimone

Postby The Cat » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:13 pm UTC

Does anyone have allergies? I developed allergies a few years ago, after moving to the South. This year, no doubt due to the unseasonably warm climate, my allergies are off the chart. There is so much mucus, I feel like a Hagfish. It is the first time I've actually taken an over the counter allergy medication. I've heard local honey can help your immune system acclimate. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb2EOP3ohnE

Spoiler:
On that note, I watched Mittens chat up his "new stance" on Health care a few days ago. He thinks people with preexisting conditions shouldn't be provided with coverage. Now, being someone who payed into the health care system for dozens of people over the years, this disturbed me for a number of reasons.

This is how it really plays out. The short term personal "between job" health care insurance costs are off the chart. If memory serves, it's three to four times higher (Cobra). After people are layed off, they can't afford to protect their families. Now they're uninsured, desperately seeking work, for the love of their family. A malleable work force indeed! Love is such great leverage. Great if your a corporate tyrant looking to exploit a population. Bad if you're an American hoping to follow your inalienably right to life. Bad News, your new job isn't offering Health care, too expensive. And lord knows your gonna need health insurance after eating 100s of pounds of ammonia laced pink slime, washing it down with some fine Chesapeake bay water! Our health care system is ranked 37th! One behind Costa Rica, and right in front of Slovenia. Your argument is invalid. Same old bull shit. Moral compass, my ass! Actively searching for your unique dance.

So, if a Senator is voted out of office, does it mean that his children are no longer covered? Are his children gonna go without medical treatment? No, because whats good for the goose isn't good for the gander. And they aren't behaving like men of, by, and for the people. I personally prefer the less malleable material, to the cake. "Can you fell the love tonight" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E_VeC1XAtY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srN-iyUs0w0
Last edited by The Cat on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:17 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
The Cat

Postby roband » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:35 pm UTC

I used to get hayfever, but after two years of refusing to take medication for it - I no longer suffer.
roband

Postby The Cat » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:11 pm UTC

That reinforces the honey. Your body just naturally builds up an immunity. Thank you.
The Cat

Postby roband » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:15 pm UTC

No problem. I'd only take mine as anecdotal evidence though - I don't know anyone else who has a similar experience.
roband

Postby Samik » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:20 pm UTC

I developed allergies just about overnight when I was younger, and was absolutely miserable for about three years. As The Cat, says, I was a hagfish drowning in my own mucous, and NOTHING worked. Never encountered a medication that did anything for me. Tried every pill and every supposed home remedy. I went through an entire box of tissues a day, regularly.

I was allergic to EVERYTHING: animals (all of them), nature (all of it), dust, mold, etc. (Never any food or medication allergies that I knew of, though.) Winter, summer, spring and fall. Green New England. Dusty desert southwest. I was miserable, and had given up all hope for relief.

And then, after about three years, they vanished as quickly as they came.

I have absolutely no idea. To go from as heavily afflicted as I was, to being completely free and clear (for a good 5 years now)... I wouldn't count on such a thing happening to you, but, someway, somehow, it is possible.

I don't think it was a matter of "building up an immunity". I mean, after all, allergies are your body having an immune response ("building up an immunity") to things it shouldn't be bothering to attack (pollen, pet dander, etc.). How can one "build up an immunity" to an "immunity"? It's an incoherent thought.

With no answer ever provided for my sudden turn around, I've just had to assume that it's one of those things where your biology shifts a bit as you age (like how when I was little I was blond haired and fair like my father's side of the family, but eventually shifted over towards darker Mediterranean complexion like my mother's side).
Samik

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:13 pm UTC

Welcome to the South. When plants bloom here, it hangs in the air longer because of the humidity. Allergies are hopeless and eternal. Find good medicine. Pray for winter.

-A native Floridian
UniqueScreenname

Postby Panonadin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

When people around me talk about stuff like this I feel like I'm so damn lucky. Or that I'm missing out on life experience.

I have never had allergies and I live/have lived in Florida all my life.

I also have no idea what heartburn feels like.
Last edited by Panonadin on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:59 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Panonadin

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:45 pm UTC

...Lucky. Just feel lucky.

And try to be circumspect about it, you lucky bastard :P

/othernativefloridian

I never thought I had allergies, but the last couple years, at least, I'm pretty sure I've had at least mild ones. Nothing debilitating or crazy though, most days not even worth bothering to take something over. I, too, am lucky.

Heartburn, though. That... is another story.

Let's just say I genuinely don't miss the carbonated things, but the spice/tomato aversion is sometimes a pain. :P
ameretrifle
Vera

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:55 pm UTC

Fleeting/random thought: phthalates remind me of Cthulhu. The name sounds a bit like cthulhu r'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn, and they tend to look like sea monsters.
Spoiler:
The card wrote:GO TO THE CIRCUS. FIREWORKS AND WHISTLES, LION TAMERS AND CLOWNS. HOO RAH.
Magnanimous

Postby Felstaff » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:26 pm UTC

Spooky. http://phrasegenerator.com/politics. It's like a Santorum sanatorium.

The bowling was good. My game improved with each spring roll slash samosa slash chicken nugget. 73 average (!) improved to 115, making me just over a 38% good player.
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:36 pm UTC

Cracked:

Introduce a woman into the mix, and suddenly our bed sheets need to be washed more than once a year. The blanket hanging over the windows needs to be replaced with actual curtains. Underwear doesn't go on the floor. It goes in the hamper. Wait, what the hell is a hamper

Looked up from the laptop. In my field of view I had dirty sheets, a blanket hanging over the window, and underwear on the floor. Found it kinda amusing.
Menacing Spike

Postby Deva » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:53 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:The bowling was good. My game improved with each spring roll slash samosa slash chicken nugget. 73 average (!) improved to 115, making me just over a 38% good player.

Were you reprimanded for throwing food at the pins?
Changes its form depending on the observer.
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby The Cat » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:51 pm UTC

Sorry for that two post contradiction, Samik. It's been a long day living as a hag fish. Please disregard the latter.

I've heard local honey can help your immune system acclimate

I have absolutely no idea. To go from as heavily afflicted as I was, to being completely free and clear (for a good 5 years now)... I wouldn't count on such a thing happening to you, but, someway, somehow, it is possible.

Probably not dude, I got my Chuy save off the coast of Baja back in 2006. Arms stretched out and all! It's Science!

Now that we've finished with the pleasantries, would you be so kind as to make me some local honey, after all, your a robot bee! A dash of nutmeg for taste, if you don't mind. For Christ sake, I'm running out of herbal remedies!

Spoiler:
monkey.jpg

This must be used for a pink slim bit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz6Kcz62onA
The Cat

PreviousNext

Return to General