A good, portable C++ IDE

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

A good, portable C++ IDE

Postby Woopate » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:23 am UTC

Hey there,
I've been tinkering with C++ in my downtime at work lately. But I've been using DevCpp Portable 4.9.9.2 revision 4. Which I've heard is deprecated. I'm looking for a new IDE that I can run from a USB drive on Windows systems. I have no internet access at work save my phone, so that's also a potential limitation.

It does not have to be an IDE, it could be separate
Compiler and text editor etc. The chief requirement is runnable from a USB drive.

Any thoughts?
Woopate
Scrapple

Re: A good, portable C++ IDE

Postby RoadieRich » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:51 am UTC

Woopate wrote:Hey there,
I've been tinkering with C++ in my downtime at work lately. But I've been using DevCpp Portable 4.9.9.2 revision 4. Which I've heard is deprecated. I'm looking for a new IDE that I can run from a USB drive on Windows systems. I have no internet access at work save my phone, so that's also a potential limitation.

Compiler and text editor etc. The chief requirement is runnable from a USB drive.

Any thoughts?

Both cygwin and mingw have portable versions. If the editors in those (vi and nano are included (I think), others can be installed) aren't enough, notepad++ is pretty good, and is portable by default.
roband wrote:Mav is a cow.

UniJam 2012: Inter-university Games Jam hosted by Nottingham Trent University DevSoc.
nlug: Nottingham Linux User Group
DevSoc: The Nottingham Trent University Software Development Society
RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby zed0 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:40 am UTC

Code::Blocks has a stable version for Linux and Windows and a slightly less stable version for OS X, it should be compatible with cygwin or MinGW on Windows allowing you to write pretty much the same code for Linux and Windows.
zed0

Postby Thomas18 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:09 pm UTC

RoadieRich wrote:
Woopate wrote:Hey there,

Any thoughts?

Both cygwin and mingw have portable versions. If the editors in those (vi and nano are included (I think), others can be installed) aren't enough, notepad++ is pretty good, and is portable by default.

Notepad++ also does the job, I would say.
Thomas18

Postby Markus__1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:54 pm UTC

Woopate wrote:But I've been using DevCpp Portable 4.9.9.2 revision 4. Which I've heard is deprecated.

The Dev-C++ Portable Sourceforge page points to Orwell Dev-C++ as the maintained version.
Markus__1

Postby ekolis » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:59 am UTC

How about Eclipse? It's primarily geared toward Java developers, but there's a C/C++ IDE as well.
Reading posts on the xkcd forum makes me feel stupid.
ekolis

Postby Tynach » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:40 am UTC

If you want a raw text editor, I've found Kate to be amazing. Yes it depends on all those pesky KDE libraries (large install size if you use Gnome, or if you're on Mac/Windows), but overall it is fully cross-platform now.

For a full IDE, I've been using Eclipse. It is a little slow at times (as it parses your files as you type to look for errors), but on the whole it's a really nice and full-featured IDE for pretty much any language.
Tynach

Postby jendral_hxr » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:00 pm UTC

mingw32 and Programmer's Notepad. The reason I pick Programmer's Notepad over Notepad++ is because it works with makefiles better.

If you are Qt guy, seizing few hundreds MB from your USB drive from minimalistic installation of Qt SDK won't really hurt anyway.
I wish I weren't so stupid
jendral_hxr

Postby Wukl » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:59 pm UTC

I use NetBeans. It can be made portable easily and includes lots of languages. And, it's small too, for such a big IDE.
Wukl

Return to Coding