Battlefield 3

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Battlefield 3

Postby F117Landers » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:17 pm UTC

I have only encountered one user that was absolutely atrocious to listen to( although I slur my words, so I tend to keep off of the headset). The thing that makes it worse in Battlefield, say compared to Call of Duty, is that it's a lot less hassle to mute someone in CoD.

Also, nice use of the word loquacious.
Herro
F117Landers

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:36 am UTC

Heh, thanks! And that is true, I still haven't found a way to mute an individual user in Battlefield, unlike say Halo in which it's a quick one-two punch. Consequently I find myself retreating to the solitude of private party even when I'm not gaming with friends, in the process muting anybody else who wants to try to talk.

Unrelatedly, will you be on anytime this weekend?
Not all who wander ar...blah blah blah, basically I want to be cool like Aragorn.
Chewbaccawacca

Location: The Great Green Pacific Northwest! ....of the United States! .....of America!

Postby eculc » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:12 am UTC

should be (hopefully!) online this weekend. shortly after posting last week, the wireless adapter for my xbox broke, and I noly just got my new one today.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby F117Landers » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:50 am UTC

And I'll be online for the next couple hours, and tomorrow as well.
Herro
F117Landers

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:11 am UTC

Sweet deal, try to work out some gaming. I won't be home for another few hours at least, but I'll probably be able to be on tomorrow.
Not all who wander ar...blah blah blah, basically I want to be cool like Aragorn.
Chewbaccawacca

Location: The Great Green Pacific Northwest! ....of the United States! .....of America!

Postby F117Landers » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:19 pm UTC

Want to see a stats tracker that isn't complete garbage?

Check here: BF3Stats
Herro
F117Landers

Postby Xeio » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:37 pm UTC

Because everything is displayed on one page...?
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby F117Landers » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:49 am UTC

I should rephrase:

If you do not like the stat tracker in BF3, there are many others available (such as this).
Herro
F117Landers

Postby Xeio » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:44 am UTC

Oooo, shiny update tomorrow. Should be nice to see some of the changes.

Also, I will finally get flares for jets! This is a cause to celebrate, not enough of one to actually get in a jet, but still.... :P

Oh, and horns for jeeps. :roll:
Xeio

Postby F117Landers » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:20 am UTC

Xeio wrote:Oooo, shiny update tomorrow. Should be nice to see some of the changes.

Also, I will finally get flares for jets! This is a cause to celebrate, not enough of one to actually get in a jet, but still.... :P

Oh, and horns for jeeps. :roll:

Lots of changes.

Full list
Herro
F117Landers

Postby eculc » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:36 pm UTC

yay update. if only they would release it for the xbox...then I wouldn't have to deal with people abusing the USAS-12 FRAG anymore.
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby F117Landers » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:08 pm UTC

eculc wrote:yay update. if only they would release it for the xbox...then I wouldn't have to deal with people abusing the USAS-12 FRAG anymore.

Is that why I get killed by them from insane distances?
Herro
F117Landers

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:29 am UTC

The thing I'm most looking forward to is the end of MAV elevators.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby eculc » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:36 am UTC

F117Landers wrote:
eculc wrote:yay update. if only they would release it for the xbox...then I wouldn't have to deal with people abusing the USAS-12 FRAG anymore.

Is that why I get killed by them from insane distances?

yeah, there is supposed to be a fire rate decrease with frag slugs, but there isn't, and the USAS already has the fastest fire rate.

also, I'm looking forward to no more "you MAV bro?" messages whenever one of my friends decides to spawncamp me with said MAV.

EDIT: Xbox update comes today (may have already come, in fact. I'm not at home so I don't know.)
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:33 pm UTC

What really annoys me is it just seems the patch added more skilled players. I dunno, I've just come across more of them as of late.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby eculc » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:22 pm UTC

I've decided that the best part about this update is the fact that I can now fly the helicopter. I've already leveled up the attack chopper twice, and that's only after about 3-4 hours.
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:29 pm UTC

eculc wrote:I've decided that the best part about this update is the fact that I can now fly the helicopter. I've already leveled up the attack chopper twice, and that's only after about 3-4 hours.

True, they made things far more responsive. I wonder if they made the inversion the same for jets and helicopters now. I'd still much rather try to fly a chopper with a joystick.

I also like that they made the stingers worth even trying. Particularly on helicopters if they don't start getting out of ranger after the first shot.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby F117Landers » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:59 am UTC

And the update is finally out for Xbox. 1GB; should only take me a hour to download.
Herro
F117Landers

Postby eculc » Thu May 31, 2012 6:00 pm UTC

Well, thought I'd bring this thread back since the new DLC isn't too far off. well, there isn't a release date yet but it's supposed to be out soon.

I'm not sure wether or not I'm going to get it though. the assignments and new guns were fun (from the last DLC) but I'm not sure it's enough to convince me to spend $10 on three maps that were clearly designed for TDM, which I don't play anyways.
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:45 pm UTC

Has anyone else started experiencing the Bad Luck bug again since the last patch? The one where you take off in an aircraft and after a little bit just blow up for no reason and the game says "Bad Luck".
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby F117Landers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:49 pm UTC

I apologize for the necro; I am curious if anyone is still playing
Herro
F117Landers

Postby Dark567 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:56 pm UTC

All the time. The new expansions are pretty cool.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:57 pm UTC

I am. I bought premium as well so I'm playing the Armored Kill and Close Quarters maps in addition to the regular ones.
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby F117Landers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:59 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:All the time. The new expansions are pretty cool.

SurgicalSteel wrote:I am. I bought premium as well so I'm playing the Armored Kill and Close Quarters maps in addition to the regular ones.

Any thoughts on AK and CQ? Or preferences, stat reset bugs, etc.
Herro
F117Landers

Postby eculc » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:48 am UTC

I haven't had any stat reset bugs. IMO, AK is better than CQ. CQ just feels too...run-n-gun, like you have to stay moving and use a gun that shoots really fast or you'll end up dead.

I have noticed that jets seem to be much easier to kill in AK than in other maps. Specifically with the jet gun, I can usually score a kill in one pass when it would usually take 3 or 4, which is nice as it eliminates the -several- minutes of circle-flying that dogfights have turned into since the game's release. combine that with a much higher flight ceiling and greater airspace overall, and piloting the jet (espeically on Alborz Mountain) is VERY fun.
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:58 am UTC

Both have excellent maps. Armored Kill is a lot of fun if you like vehicles. Especially the Tank Battle mode, were there are enough tanks on the map for everyone. There's a map where you can parachute out of an AC-130 into the battle, which is fun. There's also a map, some desert map I don't remember the name of that is awesome because it's huge, so tanks, aircraft and the gunship are a lot of fun. But because it's so big, and there's a large open desert area in the middle, it can be kind of boring if you're on foot.

Close Quarters is a lot like Modern Warfare 3 by way of Battlefield 3. But there are no kill-streaks, which sometimes I like and sometimes I don't. DICE also seems to do abandoned, falling apart factory better than Infinity Ward. The maps are beautiful. It's also a good mode to level up your shorter range weapons. Example: I unlocked the FAMAS, which starts with the most god-awful iron sights imaginable, they aren't really useable beyond 10 feet. Played a few rounds of Close Quarters until I unlocked the red dot for it.
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby eculc » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:06 am UTC

unfortunately for console owners, tank superiority (or should I say tank destroyer superiority) does not include enough vehicles for everyone to drive one. That was the one thing that air superiority in 1943 did so well, giving players enough planes so that everyone could be playing all the time, but now you spend quite a bit of time waiting for someone on your team to die so that you can play.

The Gunship spawns on all of the AK maps, and features a tank gun with zoom capability and permanent thermal, and a helicopter gun with more usable crosshairs, again with zoom. Each player has the ability to deploy flares and switch to a top-mounted AA minigun. It's a bit of a balance issue in rush though, as the attackers can spawn on it and paradrop directly onto the targets. In conquest, your team gets to control the gunship by having control of a specific capture point on the map, and in rush the attackers get to use it. as of the latest update, the gunship respawns in rush at the beginning of each phase.

other than that, everything is alright. the tank destroyer destroyers are fun (named such by me because IME with console gameplay there are no actual tanks in AK) and feature some nice unlocks (including an extinguisher). the mobile artillery seems a bit...out of place. It's not particularly accurate, and it's very difficult to aim since you can't expand the minimap to see where your shots land. Quad bikes are possibly the most addictive vehicle ever, since you go at roughly twice the speed of a jeep.
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:34 am UTC

PC really doesn't have enough either. I've started to taking to the whatever it's called mSomethingoranother gun with a bipod, extend mag and a scope and just laying down suppressing fire on opposing sniper land. It's also pretty sad how bad sniper land seems to be at hitting a stationary target in comparison to a guy shooting at around 200m with a machine gun.

And quad bike bombs are fun, especially if you catch air and then drop it on top of the target.

But alas, I'm really trying to stay away from playing video games because I spent so much time distracting myself from depression and other issues by playing them and I want to work through those issues and be more productive.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:38 am UTC

eculc wrote:unfortunately for console owners, tank superiority (or should I say tank destroyer superiority) does not include enough vehicles for everyone to drive one. That was the one thing that air superiority in 1943 did so well, giving players enough planes so that everyone could be playing all the time, but now you spend quite a bit of time waiting for someone on your team to die so that you can play.
I've never noticed that, but maybe I've just never played Tank Superiority on a full server. I usually play Engineer when I play AK, so if I'm not in a vehicle I have a launcher at least.
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby F117Landers » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:39 am UTC

I've been playing both for the past week or two, and have reached the following:

I. AK does not have enough vehicles, except the map with the farm.
B. Tank superiority is pretty fun.
3. Gun Game is a lot more fun.
4. I still hate lag
Herro
F117Landers

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:50 am UTC

I think one of the problems with Tank Superiority isn't so much that there's not enough vehicles, but that people typically jump out of their vehicles early, rather than wait for the vehicle to catch fire or to 'go down with the ship' So a lot of the time a good third of the vehicles on the map are sitting out in the middle mostly intact rather than getting blown up and re-spawning immediately.

If you take an engineer and run out into map, a lot of times you can find and repair a vehicle faster than waiting for one to spawn. Especially if the map has ATVs you can use to reach a vehicle.

Another factor is that the vehicles actually have multiple crew positions (driver and MG turret), so if you take a squad into a TS match, you can load up your squad in fewer vehicles than if you just jumped in and free-for-all rushed the vehicle spawns.

Also, having a few snipers sitting around the edges of the map with SOFLAMs can be a huge advantage in just about any of the AK maps.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby F117Landers » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:02 am UTC

I think that's an issue with most games. Perhaps I was just in a decent match the time that I played.
Herro
F117Landers

Postby eculc » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:57 pm UTC

I've never been able to have much fun with gunmaster, if only because of the LVG you have to get a kill with near the end. it's like "OK, now that you've proven you're better than these schmucks at using a variety of useful(ish) weapons, let's see how lucky you are with a gun that's totally useless!"
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby F117Landers » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:23 am UTC

eculc wrote:I've never been able to have much fun with gunmaster, if only because of the LVG you have to get a kill with near the end. it's like "OK, now that you've proven you're better than these schmucks at using a variety of useful(ish) weapons, let's see how lucky you are with a gun that's totally useless!"

I never get that far. Too much lag, and I tend to twitch a lot.
Herro
F117Landers

Postby eculc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:40 am UTC

Ah, there's the difference. I play to win, and although I can still have plenty of fun if I'm losing It's much more satisfying to actually have a chance. as a result, I'm a bit pissed at gunmaster for making the winner luck based among a few people who are good at the game already, rather than completely based on how effective you are with your weapon(s).
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby F117Landers » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:24 pm UTC

eculc wrote:Ah, there's the difference. I play to win, and although I can still have plenty of fun if I'm losing It's much more satisfying to actually have a chance. as a result, I'm a bit pissed at gunmaster for making the winner luck based among a few people who are good at the game already, rather than completely based on how effective you are with your weapon(s).

I finally experienced this. I was on the 416, one person was on the LVG, and another on knife. The knife took second, LVG 3, and myself 4th to someone on the ACW-R... WTF?!
Herro
F117Landers

Postby novax6 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:25 am UTC

Tried to play this again after a long break, and I couldn't make it more than 30 minutes before feeling annoyed and wanting to raegquaat. I think it's just not the game for me, and I dont' think i'm going back to it, which makes me sad because I put more hours into BF2 (and PR mod) than any other online game.

I just can't stand the super quick respawn times coupled with being able to spawn on squad members, flags being capped, and otherwise directly into or around combat. This plus the much smaller maps means that it's pretty much constant chaos all the time, and no ebb or flow like in BF2 or even 1942. You almost never need to walk to get anywhere, which means that your time in the game is 95% shooting/being shot at, and 5% anything else, like logistics, tactically moving, or thinking. Don't even get me started on the fucking map.
novax6

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:56 am UTC

Gah! I hate when people jump into a bolt gun server and proceed to use shotguns and LMGs, and no admins are on to kick them. And they have the gall to call you a douche when you ask them nicely to switch to a bolt gun.
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby Xeio » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:37 am UTC

I'm hoping premium goes on sale this month. I don't want close quarters and have karkland, but I do I want the larger maps (not sure about the last few DLC packs). Might end up just getting armored kill by itself otherwise, but I've had enough other games to keep me busy lately.
Xeio

Postby F117Landers » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:52 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:I'm hoping premium goes on sale this month. I don't want close quarters and have Karkand, but I do I want the larger maps (not sure about the last few DLC packs). Might end up just getting armored kill by itself otherwise, but I've had enough other games to keep me busy lately.

You could wait until Aftermath comes out next month, and see if it looks appealing. Or if you don't mind waiting, Endgame comes out in March.

Also, there are a couple benefits: A different knife, unique dogtags, and camos. Not worth getting premium unless you plan on purchasing 3 dlc packs.

weapons from DLC:
Spoiler:
Back to Karkand
FAMAS
L85A2
G53
QBZ-95(B)
QBB-95
MG36
QBU-88
L96A1
PP-19