Nomy 1.0

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Prelates, Moderators General

Nomy 1.0

Postby Story Weaver » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:42 pm UTC

This is a sub-game from Nomic 16.0.

Here are the rules:
  • §1 This game is called Nomy, and is a game of Nomic.
  • §2 Players may make one motion to change the rules per post.
  • §3 Motions are decided by the next player who posts. They can either be accepted or refused.
  • §4 If a motion is accepted, the rules have to be updated in that post.
  • §5 Double Posting is forbidden.
  • §6 The winner shall be the first person to get 3 motions accepted. The winner of Nomy shall get 10 points, and everyone who participates 3 points

The points referred to are in the parent Nomic game.

I make a motion to require that the third motion in this game of Nomy involve ninjas.
Story Weaver

Re: Nomy 1.0

Postby careyhammer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:59 pm UTC

Motion accepted!
Here are the rules:
§1 This game is called Nomy, and is a game of Nomic.
§2 Players may make one motion to change the rules per post.
§3 Motions are decided by the next player who posts. They can either be accepted or refused.
§4 If a motion is accepted, the rules have to be updated in that post.
§5 Double Posting is forbidden.
§6 The winner shall be the first person to get 3 motions accepted. The winner of Nomy shall get 10 points, and everyone who participates 3 points.
§7 The third motion in this game of Nomy involve ninjas.

I make a motion to pass this motion.
careyhammer

Postby careyhammer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:05 pm UTC

oops, I just broke rule §5
careyhammer

Postby careyhammer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

oops I did it again :lol:
careyhammer

Postby orangedragonfire » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:56 pm UTC

Motion refused.

I make a motion to change the text of rule §2 to the following:
§2 Players are referred to as ninjas. Ninjas may make one motion to change the rules per post. If someone breaks too many rules or annoys people, they become pirates instead. All posts of pirates are ignored.
NaNoWriMo Progress: 33,898/50,000
orangedragonfire

Postby careyhammer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:01 pm UTC

Motion refused
careyhammer

Postby careyhammer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:04 pm UTC

I make a motion to refuse this motion
careyhammer

Postby Story Weaver » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:05 pm UTC

Motion refused.

I make a motion that in order to reject a motion a ninja must provide a sound reason as to why they are rejecting it, which cannot be "to stop the motion-maker winning". If the reason given is not judged sound by the next ninja (who cannot be the motion maker), they can say so with "Not sound". At that point, the rejecter is considered to have broken the rules.
Story Weaver

Postby orangedragonfire » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:38 pm UTC

Motion accepted.

Here are the rules:
§3 Motions are decided by the next player who posts. They can either be accepted or refused.
§6 The winner shall be the first person to get 3 motions accepted. The winner of Nomy shall get 10 points, and everyone who participates 3 points.
§8 In order to reject a motion a ninja must provide a sound reason as to why they are rejecting it, which cannot be "to stop the motion-maker winning". If the reason given is not judged sound by the next ninja (who cannot be the motion maker), they can say so with "Not sound". At that point, the rejecter is considered to have broken the rules.

I make a motion introduce a three strikes rule - if you break the rules three times, you are banned from the game and all of your posts are to be ignored by other players.
orangedragonfire

Postby careyhammer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:08 pm UTC

Motion refused. I enjoy breaking the rules.
careyhammer

Postby careyhammer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:09 pm UTC

Motion refused. I enjoy breaking the rules.
careyhammer

Postby matt96 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:25 am UTC

Not sound. Now there is no motion for me to decide on

Here are the rules:
§8 In order to reject a motion a ninja must provide a sound reason as to why they are rejecting it, which cannot be "to stop the motion-maker winning". If the reason given is not judged sound by the next ninja (who cannot be the motion maker), they can say so with "Not sound". At that point, the rejecter is considered to have broken the
§9 if you break the rules three times, you are banned from the game and all of your posts are to be ignored by other players.
I make a motion to add a rule that requires a player to include a motion in their post for the next poster to accept or refuse
-.. . .-. .--.
photos from my trip to New Hampshire
Spoiler:
Image Image Image

interview
matt96

Postby careyhammer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:27 am UTC

Motion rejected. I think that rule is just way too complicated.
Wait, time out. Rule 9 was rejected, even if the reason was unsound.

Here are the rules:
§8 In order to reject a motion a ninja must provide a sound reason as to why they are rejecting it, which cannot be "to stop the motion-maker winning". If the reason given is not judged sound by the next ninja (who cannot be the motion maker), they can say so with "Not sound". At that point, the rejecter is considered to have broken the rules.

I make a motion to amend rule 6 to read: The winner shall be the first person to get 300 motions accepted. The winner of Nomy shall get 2 points, and everyone who participates 1 points.
careyhammer

Postby vp1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:59 am UTC

Motion rejected because: 1. Ninjas get things done correctly the first time and don't need to amend anything; 2. Ninjas don't like when people break the rules (See rule 7 ).

Here are the rules:

I put forth a motion that no motion may contain any occasions of symbol that follows 'd' (Ninjas loath fifth pictographs).
vp1

Postby Story Weaver » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:34 am UTC

Motion rejected.

Sorry, I originally accepted it, but then I couldn't find a single motion I could write without the letter e!

Carey, could you please stop trying to make the game less enjoyable for others. There is no purpose in playing a game, except where the players agree to abide by the rules. Mistakes are one thing, but constant rule breaking is not.

I make a motion that "players in Nomy must be referred to as Ninjas". Because everyone seems to really like that rule.
Story Weaver

Postby aleph-null » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:34 am UTC

Motion accepted. Hello my fellow ninjas! :D

§9 All players in Nomy must be referred to as ninjas

I move to amend §6 to read "The winner shall be the first person to get 30 motions accepted. The winner of Nomy shall get 10 points, and everyone who participates 3 points." to increase game length and enjoyment for all ninjas.
aleph-null

Postby vp1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:02 pm UTC

Motion Accepted

The rules
Spoiler:
§6 The winner shall be the first person to get 30 motions accepted. The winner of Nomy shall get 10 points, and everyone who participates 3 points.

Ninjas should have weapons or skills...
I make a motion that each ninja must have at least one weapons and/or skill. However, weapons/skills can only be received from another ninja as a gift (a ninja may not procure their own weapon/skill). The weapon must have some special power that will give the recipient an advantage in this game. Gifting a weapon/skill can be done in addition to a motion.
vp1

Postby Story Weaver » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:05 pm UTC

I've won this game, by the way. Three of my motions were passed. You can, of course, keep playing. I will go get my points in the main Nomic thread.
Story Weaver

Postby vp1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:13 pm UTC

Doh!
vp1

Postby aleph-null » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:28 pm UTC

(Anyone want to keep going with this one? I'm new to this so a small ruleset to start with is much more enticing than the big established one in the other thread)

Motion rejected. Seems too complex to me and there should be limitations on what the gift could do, could be used to spoil the game.

Current rules:
Spoiler:
§6 The winner shall be the first person to get 30 motions accepted. The winner of Nomy shall get 10 points, and everyone who participates 3 points.

I move to discount the previous winner (they keep their claim to any previously won points) and continue with the currently established rules.
aleph-null

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:09 pm UTC

Motion accepted.

(which means, Story Weaver, that according to the rules in this game you are not the winner)

I make a motion to call people in this Nomy who distinguish themselves positively Samurais.
orangedragonfire

Postby careyhammer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:15 pm UTC

Motion accepted.

I make a motion to keep track of the score. After a motion passes, you have to post a table of current number of motions passed for every player.
careyhammer

Postby aleph-null » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:31 pm UTC

(Please remember: §4 If a motion is accepted, the rules have to be updated in that post)
Motion accepted
As far as I can tell, the following rules and scores are currently correct. It's quite hard to work out what was going on above, please make a motion to correct any errors.
Rules:
Spoiler:
§10 Ninjas who distinguish themselves positively within Nomy shall be referred to as Samurai
§11 A post which passes a motion must include a correct table of scores (the score must include the motion that was just passed)

Scores
Spoiler:
Story Weaver - 3
Null - 2
orangedragonfire - 1
careyhammer - 1
I make a motion to reduce the score of a player by one point for each infraction of the rules they make. This will start from when the motion is passed and will not be applied retroactively to previous infractions
aleph-null

Postby careyhammer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:31 pm UTC

Motion accepted
I make a motion to reset all negative scores to zero
careyhammer

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:18 pm UTC

Motion denied. For breaking rule §4, your score is reduced by 1. For breaking rule §11, your score is reduced by 1.

Rules:
Spoiler:
§10 Ninjas who distinguish themselves positively within Nomy shall be referred to as Samurai
§11 A post which passes a motion must include a correct table of scores (the score must include the motion that was just passed)
§12 The score of a player is reduced by one point for each infraction of the rules they make.

Scores
Spoiler:
Story Weaver 3
Null 2
orangedragonfire 1
aleph-null 1
careyhammer -1

I make a motion to grant Samurais all the rights that ninjas have.
Last edited by orangedragonfire on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
orangedragonfire

Postby careyhammer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:04 pm UTC

not sound. penalty

Motion accepted.

I make a motion to make Carey a Samurai.
Rules:
Spoiler:
§12 The score of a player is reduced by one point for each infraction of the rules they make.
§13 Samurais have all the rights that ninjas have.

Scores:
Spoiler:
Story Weaver 3
Null 2
aleph-null 1
orangedragonfire 1
careyhammer -1
Last edited by careyhammer on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:12 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
careyhammer

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:10 pm UTC

Motion denied; you have broken the rules quite often and not helped much as far as I can see.
For breaking rule §4, your score is reduced by 1. For breaking rule §11, your score is reduced by 1.

Rules:
Spoiler:

Scores
Spoiler:
Story Weaver 3
Null 2
orangedragonfire 1
aleph-null 1
careyhammer -3

I make a motion to make Story Weaver a Samurai being the winner of Nomy (even if it only was for a limited time)
orangedragonfire

Postby careyhammer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:16 pm UTC

Wait, Time out. I followed those rules this time!

Motion Denied because the Samurai were much more elite than that.

I make a motion to fix the errors in the scores

Rules:
Spoiler:

Scores
Spoiler:
Story Weaver 3
Null 2
orangedragonfire 1
aleph-null 1
careyhammer -3
careyhammer

Postby matt96 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:41 pm UTC

Motion denied, for as far as I can tell, there are no errors in the score, also, carey, you broke rule 8 by not sounding a refusal of a motion you proposed.
I make a motion that refusals declared "not sound" are to be re-decided by the poster following the declaration of "not sound" who cannot be the original motion maker, original refuser, or the ninja who declared the reasoning "not sound".
-.. . .-. .--.
photos from my trip to New Hampshire
Spoiler:
Image Image Image

interview
matt96

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:52 pm UTC

Motion accepted

Rules:
Spoiler:
§13 Refusals declared "not sound" are to be re-decided by the poster following the declaration of "not sound" who cannot be the original motion maker, original refuser, or the ninja who declared the reasoning "not sound".

Scores
Spoiler:
Story Weaver 3
Null 2
orangedragonfire 1
aleph-null 1
matt96 1
careyhammer -4

I make a motion to increase the score of anyone playing in Nomic 16.0 by 1.
orangedragonfire

Postby aleph-null » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:58 pm UTC

Motion denied, redundant, we all play Nomic 16.

Also, aleph-null == Null, I wrote my Nomic 16 nickname instead of my username. It's fixed below. Apologies.

Rules:
Spoiler:
§13 Refusals declared "not sound" are to be re-decided by the poster following the declaration of "not sound" who cannot be the original motion maker, original refuser, or the ninja who declared the reasoning "not sound".

Scores
Spoiler:
Story Weaver 3
aleph-null 3
orangedragonfire 1
matt96 1
careyhammer -4

I move that a Ninja shall not submit motions which promote the motion maker to Samurai status
aleph-null

Postby vp1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:42 am UTC

Motion accepted!

Rules:
Spoiler:
§14 a Ninja shall not submit motions which promote the motion maker to Samurai status.

Scores:
Spoiler:
Story Weaver 3
aleph-null 4
orangedragonfire 1
matt96 1
careyhammer -4

I move that the next ninja to have a motion accepted becomes a level one Samurai.
vp1

Postby aleph-null » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:16 am UTC

Motion denied. If that motion was accepted, you would have been awarded Samurai, which clearly violates §14 a Ninja shall not submit motions which promote the motion maker to Samurai status as it would have been a direct result of your post.

I move that on promotion to Samurai status, the ninja being promoted gains 5 bonus points as a reward. This reward shall be given 24 hours after the motion which grants the promotion is passed, provided that no motions overturn the award of Samurai status in that time.
aleph-null

Postby orangedragonfire » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:00 pm UTC

Motion accepted!

Rules:
Spoiler:
§14 a Ninja shall not submit motions which promote the motion maker to Samurai status.
§15 On promotion to Samurai status, the ninja being promoted gains 5 bonus points as a reward. This reward shall be given 24 hours after the motion which grants the promotion is passed, provided that no motions overturn the award of Samurai status in that time.

Scores:
Spoiler:
aleph-null 5
Story Weaver 3
orangedragonfire 1
matt96 1
careyhammer -4

I make a motion to allow Double Motions. Making the same motion in both Nomy 1.0 and Nomic 16.0 within 10 minutes of each other shall be referred to as making a Double Motion. The "For the purposes of voting..." part of the motion need not be present in Nomy for the motion to be counted as a Double Motion. If the Double Motion gets accepted in both games, the rewards for acceptance shall be tripled.
orangedragonfire

Postby Kyreles » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:26 pm UTC

Mind if I join in?

Motion denied. I don't play the other one. The rules seem a bit too complicated for me to just jump in at this point and I don't want to lose points in this game.

I move that at no time shall there be more than 35 rules in effect. If a motion is passed that would introduce a 36th rule, it shall be considered denied until such a time that a previous rule has been rejected. Once a rule has been removed, the previously accepted motion shall be added to the rules in it's place.
In compliance with rule §05.02 this signature may be construed as a promotion of Nomic 16.0
Kyreles

Postby aleph-null » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:41 pm UTC

Motion accepted

Rules:
Spoiler:
§15 On promotion to Samurai status, the ninja being promoted gains 5 bonus points as a reward. This reward shall be given 24 hours after the motion which grants the promotion is passed, provided that no motions overturn the award of Samurai status in that time.
§16 At no time shall there be more than 35 rules in effect. Motions passed once the motion limit has been reached will be considered denied until a pre-existing rule has been removed, at which point the 'denied' motion will come into effect.

Scores:
Spoiler:
aleph-null 5
Story Weaver 3
orangedragonfire 1
matt96 1
Kyreles 1
careyhammer -4

I move that if a motion is rejected, and that rejection is deemed sound, the initial motion maker's score is reduced by one point
aleph-null

Postby Kyreles » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:22 pm UTC

Denied. I would accept if the wording were a bit more clear. The way it goes it: I propose <motion>. You reject for <reason>. I think <reason> is stupid, so I post after you saying so. You lose one point? Deemed sound by who?

I move that the title of Arbiter be created. If the Arbiter should determine that a rejection is not supported by a sound reason, the rejection shall be revoked and opened to a further vote. The act of determining that a refusal of a motion is not supported by a sound reason does not count as making a motion for the purposes of §2. This motion can be refered to as "The Arbiter can reject unsound rejections" in the official rules list if passed.

I don't know how the title of Arbiter should be granted. I'll let someone else figure that part out...

[edit]Well I misread and got the hypothetical a little wrong. The problem is still there of who determines the soundness of a rejection. Instead it goes I propose <motion>. You reject for <reason>. RandomOtherPerson agrees with you. I lose a point? Still not good. Are we trying to prevent people from proposing stupid motions?[/edit]
In compliance with rule §05.02 this signature may be construed as a promotion of Nomic 16.0
Kyreles

Postby skellious » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:12 pm UTC

Denied. Those take away too much of the fun of a nomic, like in your main thread [EDIT: I realise you don't personally play the main game, but I'm speaking to the room] (Hi, I'm Skellious, I used to play Nomic here a few years back)

I corrected the rules in line with rule nine (which was itself self-correcting and now reads "all Ninjas in Nomy must be referred to as Ninjas." - i consider all Ninjas to have referred to all mentions of the former word, including in the rules, consider it like a set or class (class Nomy contains: rules, scores, posts.))

Rules:
Spoiler:
§2 Ninjas may make one motion to change the rules per post.
§9 All Ninjas in Nomy must be referred to as ninjas
§16 At no time shall there be more than 35 rules in effect. Motions passed once the motion limit has been reached will be considered denied until a pre-existing rule has been removed, at which point the 'denied' motion will come into effect.

Scores:
Spoiler:
aleph-null 5
Story Weaver 3
orangedragonfire 1
matt96 1
Kyreles 1
careyhammer -4

I make a motion to remove the current rule §7 because it is factually inaccurate and this upsets me; In addition, rules will then be renumbered so that §8 becomes §7, §9 rule §8 and so on until rules are numbered §1 to §15 with no whole-number gaps in the numbering.
kerfuffleninja wrote: Minutes are the same length in Europe, right?
skellious

Postby Kyreles » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:09 am UTC

I will not accept or reject, just want to point out that in a strict reading of the rule it is absolutely factually true. The third motion on the game did contain a ninjas. Is was proposed by orangedragonfire and rejected.
Kyreles

Postby skellious » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:45 am UTC

Point taken, in which case, I shall bring a revised motion:

I make a motion to remove the current rule §7 because it is grammatically inaccurate and this upsets me; In addition, rules will then be renumbered so that §8 becomes §7, §9 rule §8 and so on until rules are numbered §1 to §15 with no whole-number gaps in the numbering.

"The third motion in this game of Nomy involve ninjas" - missing an s or a d or the word "that" at the beginning.

It also takes up valuable space now we are limited on number of motions.
kerfuffleninja wrote: Minutes are the same length in Europe, right?
skellious

Next

Return to Forum Games