The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:58 pm UTC

I'll cheat (after at least one vanilla playthrough) to make gameplay more interesting or entertaining or to get specific in-game skills that I don't feel like spending time on doing legitimately. But even to me it seems hella cheap to essentially just console myself the achievements I still lack.
Treatid basically wrote:widdout elephants deh be no starting points. deh be no ZFC.

(If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby doogly » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:10 pm UTC

I will cheat to summon Lydia. Where the hell you at girl.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:32 pm UTC

Will wrote:I generally don't like to cheat on principle, but I agree with your point--some of the talent trees are *bullshit*. Lockpicking is so easy that spending any points on it is a waste of time. Actually, that's true in general--lockpicks are so abundant (and they weigh nothing) that getting the "lockpicks never break" perk doesn't help much.

Plus, on the pc now there's that dragonstones mod that allows you to spend dragon souls on perks--which I feel is actually something that should be in the game. You still have to kill dragons and it will take a lot of souls to actually get higher end perks. So you still have to earn them.

The only cheating I've done was to get a new azura's star because my old one was bugged.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:33 pm UTC

In Breezehome, watching you sleep.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:58 am UTC

And eating your bread. All those carbs. The only reason she isn't a blob by now is because she spends about 23 hours a day hauling 200 pounds of dragonbones across Skyrim.
CorruptUser

Postby Jesse » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:01 am UTC

Comparison shots between a bunch of different mods: http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments ... er_a_long/

Really interesting seeing all the different things that have been done to the look of Skyrim, I'm well impressed.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jessica » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:10 pm UTC

If I manage to get 11 of 12 daedric artifacts, I'll use console commands to summon the skull.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Will » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

IIRC the achievement is for 15, but there are more than 15 Daedric artifacts in the game. So if you missed one, you can still get the achievement without cheating.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon
Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:47 pm UTC

Though I think there's only like a 2-artifact buffer.
Treatid basically wrote:widdout elephants deh be no starting points. deh be no ZFC.

(If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:26 pm UTC

Will wrote:IIRC the achievement is for 15, but there are more than 15 Daedric artifacts in the game. So if you missed one, you can still get the achievement without cheating.

No, there's 15 that count. The Skeleton Key does not count for the purposes of that achievement. You can swing two during Hircine's, but it's kinda cheaty. And, of course, Clavicus Vile is Clavicus Vile, so it's possible to screw that one up.

Azura's Star counts no matter how you restore it. And the Oghma Infinium counts even if you read it and it vanished. I don't think consoling in the items will get you the achievement, as you get the achievement for hitting the right flags in the questlines, not actually getting the item. It's just that the flag is tripped when the item is put in your inventory as per the normal happenings of the quest.

If you miss one item due to your choices, you can "fix" it with Hircine's quest. If you miss two, you have to start a new character as you can't console your way backwards in a quest.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Vaniver » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:42 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:If you miss two, you have to start a new character as you can't console your way backwards in a quest.
What? resetquest <questid>
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.
Vaniver

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

I didn't think that worked for achievement-getting quests.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Vaniver » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:44 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I didn't think that worked for achievement-getting quests.
I haven't tested it, so you might be right, but from the wiki it looks like the thing preventing you from going back in a quest is separate from the thing that lets you reset a quest. I don't think failing the quest ruins the achievement (as getting two artifacts from Hircine can rescue you), and succeeding on the quest on your second run-through is probably different from adding the artifact via console.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.
Vaniver

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:59 am UTC

Hm. Might be interesting to Science it up.

I keep meaning to make an Orc character who runs around doing Science Experiments (Or, if you prefer, SCIENCE Experiments) via console dickery, and screenshotting it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Kain » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:01 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Hm. Might be interesting to Science it up.

I keep meaning to make an Orc character who runs around doing Science Experiments (Or, if you prefer, SCIENCE Experiments) via console dickery, and screenshotting it.

Remember to increase hir movement speed (I did my second run-through with just a 5x movement speed console command, and it is insanely hilarious)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax
Kain

Postby Lostdreams » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:29 pm UTC

Now plays like first person Vanquish!
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.
Lostdreams

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:11 pm UTC

Speaking of console commands, I just heavily abused them during the battle for Whiterun quest. I'd completed it first, I just wanted to see what happens if the Stormcloaks break through.

Well, it turns out that apart from it being almost impossible for them to take the drawbridge with more than 50% of their army if you're killing off Imperials normally (hence the console commands to disable the immortals and deal with them quicker), once they get to the gate they don't do anything but attack you. The only ways to finish the quest are win at it or die.

Bit annoying, would've been nice to have some alternate plotline where your side loses, and you get taken as a prisoner or something. Or have I just been playing too much New Vegas?
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.
SirBryghtside

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:25 pm UTC

Pretty much. There's very few quests with an actual Failure condition other than your death. This is... pretty typical for Bethesda.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Dark567 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:31 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Pretty much. There's very few quests with an actual Failure condition other than your death. This is... pretty typical for Bethesda.
Bethesda is one of those companies that does so many things right with their games, but also so many wrong.

OT:I loved how Wing Commander always let you lose missions and survive and then go do other missions based on your success in previous missions(and then dramatically alter the outcome of the game based on those success/failures).
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:43 pm UTC

I started the Battle of Whiterun quest at Windhelm, then something weird happened to Alea who, in retrospect, unfollowed me because of the quest. Either way, she wandered of and I followed her, to see where she was going. Her destination turned out to be Jorvaskr, but by the time we got near Whiterun, my quest suddenly got completed. Headed back to the questgiver, who commented negatively on my absence on the battlefield.

So that was lame, but kinda neat that they went through the effort to give him a specific dialogue option for when you miss the battle somehow.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:09 am UTC

I hadn't connected my Xbox to the internet in a while so I just got the 1.5 patch today.

Cinematic killcams for ranged attacks. I love this so much.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:43 am UTC

Is there a way to disable the cinematic kills? It's cool the first 30 time, but then it starts to get repetitive.

Also, I recently started playing Daggerfall, just to see what all the fuss was about. Wow; there is a huge difference between Daggerfall and Morrowind. First off, the controls are incredibly clunky for what I'm used to, though after adjusting to the awsd keys it's somewhat better. The dungeons are big. BIG. And 3 dimensional. So, coolish, but the find X quests are a bit rough. Fun though. A bit annoying that your rep goes down slowly each month, but it does make sense. There is no real point to alchemy AFAIK, as spells do it better. Some skills appear useless, like languages and the thieving skills. It is annoying that you can't see your progress to the next level, but it's not too terrible. For its time, it was a decent game.
CorruptUser

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:12 am UTC

So, everyone who's saying Lydia has no character?

No, I think she has a character, but it's one of reserved disapproval. I just walked into my house in Whiterun and she's like "I trust your not planning any trouble."

THE INSOLENCE! It's MY house! And there's no way to get her to leave, is there?

Lydia, I hate you so much right now.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

The Scyphozoa

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:11 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:THE INSOLENCE! It's MY house! And there's no way to get her to leave, is there?

In a soul gem, of course.

Also, I think you can have her follow you then tell her to wait here. Not sure if that prevents you from getting a second follower, but I don't use followers usually; my spells tend to hit them.

EDIT: Continuing Daggerfall; fought a Daedroth, and hey, the sound effects are the same for the aliens in XCOM!

Also, there is a lot more nudity than the later games. Pixelated, low quality nudity, but it's like everywhere. More than in Duke Nukem 3D (maybe that's why everyone online insists DF is teh best evar). Every female mook is poorly clothed and apparently nymphs are completely naked. Granted that if they were rich enough to afford clothing, they wouldn't need to endure a life of crime.
CorruptUser

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:26 am UTC

If you tell a companion to wait and just never come back, they will eventually get bored and go back to their default location.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby mosc » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:17 pm UTC

you can make her a blade, she'll never come back.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby halbarad » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:54 am UTC

Been playing as a stealthy character, mostly using a bow to kill stuff off, it's pretty fun so far as I'm pretty far on through the thieves guild story (or at least I think I am).

My only major gripe so far is that when I go wandering through other people's houses late at night and try to get my companion to stay at the door they always say "you shouldn't be in here" or the like, after the first few times I just gave up and let them follow me as normal.
halbarad

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue May 01, 2012 9:47 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.
SirBryghtside

Postby CorruptUser » Wed May 02, 2012 3:59 am UTC

Aww it's for 360 only for the first 30 days...

So, will it be an expansion to Dawnstar or something? Maybe we can restart the Mythic Dawn cult?
CorruptUser

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 02, 2012 4:22 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Aww it's for 360 only for the first 30 days...
Why do I keep seeing people react to this like it's news? They sorta did it for Fallout 3 and did do it for New Vegas. They seem to be pretty comfortable with the "Let MS give us money so we can have a limited public beta" model they're doing.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby CorruptUser » Wed May 02, 2012 7:53 am UTC

Ooo when phrased that way, I feel better. In your face beta testers!
CorruptUser

Postby An Enraged Platypus » Wed May 02, 2012 11:32 am UTC

360 users get to root out the first tranche of bugs for us. We get a less buggy release, I count that a win.
We consider every day a plus/To spend it with a platypus/We're always so ecstatic/'Cause he's semi-aquatic!

- Phineas & Ferb
An Enraged Platypus

Postby mosc » Wed May 02, 2012 2:11 pm UTC

Surprised they'd risk anything like that again with the success they've had with steam. Especially with their ps3/pc stuff too. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait a bit while playing Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed May 02, 2012 3:53 pm UTC

An Enraged Platypus wrote:

360 users get to root out the first tranche of bugs for us. We get a less buggy release, I count that a win.

You give them too much credit. I highly doubt they're going to release bug fixes before the PC release.

The Scyphozoa

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed May 02, 2012 7:31 pm UTC

An Enraged Platypus wrote:

That... doesn't seem like logic to me. Couldn't you just wait the first 30 days?

And the DLC seems like it's going to be centered around vamps, in the same way Bloodmoon was about Werewolves. Should be fun.
SirBryghtside

Postby Jessica » Thu May 03, 2012 3:12 pm UTC

I haven't had any desire to play this game for a whole month. I don't know if I'll come back to it.

Not sure why my drive just dropped off, but I just started getting bored with the dungeon after dungeon, running to town selling shit etc. Got to level 50 though.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby gmalivuk » Thu May 03, 2012 11:44 pm UTC

I had no desire to play for a full month, either, though 344 hours is about half that.

gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Koa » Sun May 06, 2012 11:02 am UTC

I made a gallery of some screenshots I've taken. Mostly scenery, but also some bugs and amusing things. All 1920x1080.
Koa

Postby Spambot5546 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:58 pm UTC

"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."
Spambot5546

Postby Koa » Sun May 06, 2012 2:23 pm UTC

That would be why I put it in.

Wasn't really sure if you were making a reference. I checked and found a video called "BLUE VAGINA BLUE VAGINA WHAT DO YOU SEE?" The internet is a crazy place.
Koa

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming