Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Minecraft

Postby Carlomagno » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:50 pm UTC

I saw a notice about a summit of the various groups on the subreddit. It's got a mumble server, and I'm going to listen in. I won't be communicating, however, as the attendees were all selected beforehand. I'll just be paying attention and reporting back.
Carlomagno

Postby tHe_kiiD » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:01 pm UTC

why is not one of our representatives attending? I'll be listening as well.
tHe_kiiD

Postby bluejello » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

So, you are not associated with blue people? :lol:
Anyways, I am now on a hunt for feathers and possibly other stuff, but mainly feathers.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!
bluejello

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:20 pm UTC

I don't seem to be able to connect to any servers. Is that on my end or a problem with minecraft in general right now?
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.

(Avatar by Sungura)
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby Carlomagno » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:25 pm UTC

bluejello wrote:So, you are not associated with blue people? :lol:
Anyways, I am now on a hunt for feathers and possibly other stuff, but mainly feathers.

Non-gelatinous blue people, at least.

Also, the meeting went well. I was genuinely surprised by how everyone wanted a productive, cooperative society. It looks like we may have some good allies against the griefers.
Carlomagno

Postby bluejello » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:01 pm UTC

That is good, also, the MA server is down for now, and the xkcd one appears to be down as well, at least from my end. The chicken hunt will contiune later.
bluejello

Postby tHe_kiiD » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:24 pm UTC

Here is a recap of the summit. it looks like we will need at least two representatives that will attend any future meetings.
tHe_kiiD

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:16 am UTC

Is the ST server down for anyone else?
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.
jestingrabbit

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:19 am UTC

Yes. And has been since I posted above. "any servers" meant ST's and MA. :lol:
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.

(Avatar by Sungura)
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:29 am UTC

I guess its a good thing that its not just me D:
jestingrabbit

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:10 am UTC

Starship Icarus wrote:All you need to know is that instead of swearing, we now use the names of extinct Earth species. Like you'd say, "What the panda!", or "Bullshit!", or "What's up, dog?"
Magnanimous

Postby Xerillum » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:56 pm UTC

I've decided to build a Pandora town hall when ST's server gets back online. I managed to get an outline and some landscaping done before the server crashed, and hopefully I'll be able to finish the project up while I'm on spring break.
Xerillum

Postby Feylias » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:44 pm UTC

So the ST server has been down yesterday and today, I think (a wise way to avoid April 1st shenanigans? Is it really down? ALL my multiplay servers are down) so I gave up and updated to 1.2.4 and learned an unfortunate thing for my chicken-killing room: baby critters now follow adults. This is wreaking havoc in my well-honed slaughter systems. These darn chicks are trying to get through to the chicken collider. (I've given up on the small hole technique; it lagged the system out of proportion to the chicks involved; I think the game was constantly checking for opportunities to un-overlap the chicks.)

In other news, I'm frustrated at how rarely spider eyes drop; my instant harm 2 splash potions are precious commodities to me. Silly birds. I've got a new way to concentrate them for easy murder.
Spoiler:
2012-04-01_13.48.19.png
So the chickens wander ALL over, and eventually wander through this slot and up the cobble ramp. Maybe all the torches inside there help?
2012-04-01_13.48.47.png
They're happy to jump off the edge where the signs are. The trapdoors are so I have a way to exit if I like.
Feylias

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:42 pm UTC

I hate it when I'm all done with the planning for a particular build, and all my chests are in a dead server... D:
jestingrabbit

Postby blalobw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:02 pm UTC

Every Minecraft server on the host has been down. I've been assuming it's either scheduled downtime or that they are working on finding the bug and feeding it to a kitten.

I can assume whatever I like, can't I?

Anyway, I'll PM Talon.
blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:16 pm UTC

Recipe time!

8 stacks of cobble (or your favorite cheap structural block)
2 stacks of dirt
40 torches
2 fence gates
1 water bucket
2 furnaces
2 chests
2 workbenches
34 wheat seeds
12 melon seeds
12 bonemeal
1 hoe
2 beds

Add emergency tools and supplies to taste.

The idea here is to have a cheap, easy to build, and iconic public shelter. Once I start building them I'll probably stock each one I build with enough extra tools and supplies for two shelters along with a note asking anyone who finds this lifesaving to pass on the favor by building the other two shelters and stocking them up.

[tautology]If enough folks get on board building two shelters when they find one pointless destruction of farms will be futile and folks who have had their spawn randomized will easily find supplies to survive.[/tautology]

At that point only true valuables will need to be hidden because starting from scratch won't entail rebuilding your farm on the first day.

Spoiler:
Easter Island style giant stone Testificate heads amuse me.

The fence gate is in the top half to inhibit skeleton targeting.

First floor: melons, wheat, mine workshop, and a water elevator.

Second floor: beds, windows, and workshop.

Third floor: More melons and wheat.

Roof: Hopefully no spiders.
blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

One more quick question, as MA is still down I cannot test it.

Are powered iron doors unbreakable? The Cakes Minor Apocalypse mod has this, but I don't know if it's turned on.

If so, a vault with thick cast obsidian floors and ceilings would insure that raiders would either need plenty of time to do their dirty work or they would need to bring enchanted tools (which means that they would be risking *their* stuff if they were killed) along for the fun.
blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby bluejello » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:17 pm UTC

Put a valt with a obsidian roof on the bedrock floor of the world. The obsidian would be fairly easy to make as you would just haul lava over ahd such. However the process of opening it would be challangeing...
bluejello

Postby blalobw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:33 pm UTC

bluejello wrote:Put a valt with a obsidian roof on the bedrock floor of the world. The obsidian would be fairly easy to make as you would just haul lava over ahd such. However the process of opening it would be challangeing...

The bedrock floor of the world isn't flat so one could sneak a few control lines for a combination lock under it. Of course the non-flatness of the floor means that some of the foundation would need to be obsidian anyway.
blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby tHe_kiiD » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:09 pm UTC

The MA server will be up in a few hours. Just thought I'd let you guys know that. :D
tHe_kiiD

Postby Carlomagno » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:43 am UTC

The admin handling the server has said there were lots of extra problems. Looks like it won't be up until tomorrow. Oh well.
Carlomagno

Postby blalobw » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:35 am UTC

Carlomagno wrote:The admin handling the server has said there were lots of extra problems. Looks like it won't be up until tomorrow. Oh well.

We will Overcome! (Unless Oddoman kills us all on the MA temp server.)
blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby bluejello » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:51 pm UTC

MA :I could make potions if someone gets the resources for it. What potions would be wanted? speed and health will be the easyest to create in bulk as the resources are fairly simple. Poison would be a huge help in PVP since it bypassis armor but requires gunpowder to be effective and regen potions require the rare gahst tear.
bluejello

Postby tHe_kiiD » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:03 pm UTC

MA server is up!

someone is at the base!!!
i took pictures of him. I told him i was also a raider and he didn't killed me.
roos you almost blew my cover
tHe_kiiD

Postby Roosevelt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:22 pm UTC

Didn't know you were already on the scene.

Best of luck with the chase.
Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby tHe_kiiD » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:38 pm UTC

So I log on to the MA server and instantly notice that one of the radios was missing. I look around but I don't see anyone but a sign left behind by the thief.

Spoiler:
2012-04-04_14.04.06.png

Then out of nowhere I see the diamond armored thief creeping out of one of the buildings. I instantly tell him that I just want food. I tell him I 'coincidently' stumbled upon this place in search for food, and that I'm just a lone wanderer. We start talking and he tells me that he has been raiding this place for a while now. I ask if I can follow and he says yes. As soon as he starts descending from his makeshift cobble tower I tab to the fora to ask for assistance and Roos comes and hits me in game. I fall to the water bellow and the thief makes a run for it. Roos notices I have no interest in fighting the thief and asks me if I knew this guy. Me not wanting to blow my cover I simply say "read the fora" (by this time my preview post was already posted). then the thief asks if Roos is with me. I simply stay quiet and swim to shore. we try to run after him but unfortunately the thief got away in a boat....

Spoiler:
2012-04-04_14.07.59.png
tHe_kiiD

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:14 am UTC

I hope you guys were able to get my supplies after I failed getting up the ladder. I am scott incase anyone needed a reminder. I would like my golden apples, some food and maybe some saplings back along with my armour/weapons/pick. The rest, including my blocks of iron(16 i think) I want to give to the floating city. I want to explore and gather supplies for us.
these are words
type, type, type
scienceroboticspunk

Postby bluejello » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:21 am UTC

I am currently running around getting feathers. I may make a trip to the nether to see if I can find us some netherwart as potions would be a huge help in my opinion
bluejello

Postby tHe_kiiD » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:17 am UTC

bluejello wrote:I am currently running around getting feathers. I may make a trip to the nether to see if I can find us some netherwart as potions would be a huge help in my opinion

I'm setting up a trade to get us 3 stacks of netherwart. we need blaze rods if you can get any.
tHe_kiiD

Postby bluejello » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:42 am UTC

(found a nethergate close to the base) The nether, it dislikes my machine however I got a little under two stacks of glowstone. I did not find any fortresses in my trip and with the lack of magma slimes/slimes fire resist pots will be hard to come by.
What potions should I put resources towards and in what quantities? pots of healing and swiftness will be the dominating potions created just because of their ease of resource gathering.

I assume that pots of poison and pots of slowness will be more wanted then pots of instant damage and are easier to create. just need a supply of spider eyes and gunpowder... why must all negative potions require spider eyes?
bluejello

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:10 am UTC

We now have chickens! They're on a platform thirty blocks above the tree farm, so you won't hear them clucking on the main platform.

Edit: I came up with a new way of entering sky bases. You activate the water elevator by shooting an arrow straight up, which lands on a wooden pressure plate updated by smoke. Unfortunately, arrows only fly up about 50m or so... but I don't think the average raider would realize what to do to enter.
Attachments
2012-04-05_00.24.35.png
2012-04-05_00.24.16.png
Starship Icarus wrote:All you need to know is that instead of swearing, we now use the names of extinct Earth species. Like you'd say, "What the panda!", or "Bullshit!", or "What's up, dog?"
Magnanimous

Postby blalobw » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:20 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:We now have chickens! They're on a platform thirty blocks above the tree farm, so you won't hear them clucking on the main platform.

Edit: I came up with a new way of entering sky bases. You activate the water elevator by shooting an arrow straight up, which lands on a wooden pressure plate updated by smoke. Unfortunately, arrows only fly up about 50m or so... but I don't think the average raider would realize what to do to enter.

Ok that's awesome. It's the Fred Flintstone version of "Beam me up Scotty"! (Note to self, gotta find/create a Fred Flintstone skin.)
blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Vieto » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

That... is awesome. I have to try that!
a.k.a. Cazador
Vieto

Postby tHe_kiiD » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:40 pm UTC

is someone at the base? the alarm is on but i don't see any familiar names online. Can someone open the water?
tHe_kiiD

Postby bluejello » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:14 am UTC

I am wanting to come up, I believe someone is at the top but I am getting no response from my hails. I may need to pillar up...
Will be at the top for the next hour or so farming chickens and gravel for arrows. If anyone can go into the nether without lagging can they search for a fortress and blaze rods unless we have some already.
Last edited by bluejello on Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
bluejello

Postby Steax » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:22 am UTC

So what exactly were those floating cubes off to the side? Why did one have a sign attached to it?
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:26 am UTC

I believe that they were someone's attempt to hide valuables from thieves.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing
Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:07 am UTC

So on MA I've gone on a fairly epic journey and somehow not died (yet, still going). I have found 2 spider spawners right next to each other, a zombie spawner, and a skele spawner, all through caves relatively nearby.

Also, who hollowed out the giant slime farm? Was that where my branch mine had been, since I couldn't find it and that seemed around the right place.

Edit: I'm stuck in the mines for the night I guess. I gathered nearly a stack of lapis, over a stack of iron, half a stack of gold, 7 diamonds, a saddle, 2 cocoa beans, 2 slime balls, 13, a bunch of string, and a fair amount of bread too. And some other random stuff as well.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing
Meem1029

Postby _infina_ » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:55 am UTC

Roos, Miner Apocalypse Coords?
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu
_infina_

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:26 am UTC

Coords messaged!

Update edit:
Thanks to kiid for letting me up again! If anyone has need of gold, iron, or diamond let me know.

Also, wolves confuse me. I tamed a few the first night as I was walking to the rendezvous location and figured they had died since I didn't see them again. Strangely enough, today I was working on stuff and what do you know, I have a wolf following me. I'm confused as to how he could suddenly remember that he should come to me after a few weeks.
Meem1029

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming