[SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby RollingHead » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:29 pm UTC

Explained how pronouns work for trans* people to someone who's been getting it right ever since, feel proud of the tiny difference made.
RollingHead

Postby Amie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:20 pm UTC

I am /really/ starting to get annoyed by any address beginning with "Ladies and Gentlemen". I talked about it with some people I know who are MCs and explained it to them... what's ridiculous is that one of them recently did some announcing for a workshop that was pertinent to transgender and transsexual citizens' problems and they began that workshop with "Ladies and Gentlemen" :/ They said they didn't find a "suitable alternative" and rebuked me with a "did you want us to be robots and say "hello humans!"" I suggested something neutral like "Good evening and welcome to..." but it got me wondering... is there something that is inclusive of transfolk as far as such introductions go?
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.
Amie

Postby Brace » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:06 pm UTC

"Ladies, Gentleman, and everyone in between" might be close, but would still probably rub people the wrong way (as a derivative from the original it would most likely be taken as a joke, especially if the audience was mostly cis). I'd think you'd have to be pretty creative. Maybe start off with "Good evening and welcome to..." or an equivalent, then break into an outline of the event and atmosphere, then conclude with something like "So where you're a she or a he or a ze or sie, I hope you all have a great time tonight". It might work at an LGBT club (if there was actually such a thing), but then the tone of this hypothetical intro seems kind of bouncy and light and probably wouldn't translate well to a great many contexts.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus
Brace

Postby Ulc » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:51 pm UTC

As an occasional MC, I really don't see any point in including gender or sex in the standard greeting. A "Good evening everyone" or similar phrases work perfectly well, and you avoid the entire issue of alienating parts of your audience. If you really want to address what you're saying to a group rather than general, use something appropriate to the function of the event, like "Good evening members of [insert group specific name]".

It's one of these things where eliminating the issue in it's entirety is a great deal easier than correcting the problem with the standard procedure.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?
Ulc

Postby Monika » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:09 pm UTC

What does MC stand for?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Monika

Postby poxic » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:15 pm UTC

Master of Ceremonies. The one that opens and closes an event, introduces each speaker/performer/etc., and by law must tell at least four lame jokes per evening.

(OK, I made up part of that.)
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up i am with this.
- Tomlidich the Nth
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby Cathy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:17 pm UTC

Thank goodness for that "X post has been posted while you were writing a response" thing! Poxic ninja'd me :)
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!
Cathy

Postby Noc » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:06 am UTC

poxic wrote:Master of Ceremonies. The one that opens and closes an event, introduces each speaker/performer/etc., and by law must tell at least four lame jokes per evening.

Yeah, sometimes the speakers introduce themselves.
Have you given up?
Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Amie » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:44 am UTC

So, neutral intros are the best, you say. Okay. Thanks :) I have to go drill this into people's heads nao.
Amie

Postby doogly » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:31 am UTC

I recommend
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... esAndGerms

(but I don't recommend embarking on tvtropes if you don't have sufficient free time)
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby Black Dynamite » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:58 pm UTC

Thank you everyone who helped in my book search :)

Thank you everyone in this thread for being awesome.
Attachments
1328489418133.png
i love all of you
1328489418133.png (17.09 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!
(She, her, hers)
Black Dynamite

Postby Cathy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:45 pm UTC

Black Dynamite - I hope you found something you enjoy! One of my great joys in life is reading.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!
Cathy

Postby Vaniver » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:58 pm UTC

Article on bigender- people who report their gender changing from time to time. I'd be interested in seeing how their hormone levels change over time, and how well that tracks their gender self-reports.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.
Vaniver

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:13 am UTC

poxic wrote:Master of Ceremonies. The one that opens and closes an event, introduces each speaker/performer/etc., and by law must tell at least four lame jokes per evening.

Indeed. Everyone knows the law was amended to six (no more than three of which can be puns) in 1994.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby joshz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:57 am UTC

So I just found out that someone who I thought was a decent, intelligent person thinks that choosing to act on homosexual urges is a sin, and possibly also that homosexuality is a choice. :/
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.
joshz

Postby Brace » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:05 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:Article on bigender- people who report their gender changing from time to time. I'd be interested in seeing how their hormone levels change over time, and how well that tracks their gender self-reports.

This is a potentially dangerous reduction, as it stands the risk of providing a prima facie rationalization for testosterone therapy for transwomen, and other equally horrible things. It also seems to simplify things unnecessarily since we already know the human brain is sexually dimorphic along a number of different and separate axes, and we also know that the brain is hardly fully understood. Curiosity is grand, but um... gosh. I'm trying to think of a non-horrible way to say it. Try to channel your sense of wonder down new and productive rather than well-troden and refuted paths?

Sorry. Certain memes literally hurt to hear and that extends to hypotheses. "Being gay is genetic" is also something that hurts my ears (despite being potentially true; I just hate how it seems to be taken as one of two possibilities and how it obfuscates the complexity of biology), as is "gender is a construct" (SORT OF PARTLY but just as much a frantic outburst of soft scientists and hipsters trying to seem relevant). These memes hurt my ears in the same way as political slogans tend to.
Last edited by Brace on Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:23 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus
Brace

Postby Boris Veganofsky » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:10 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:Article on bigender- people who report their gender changing from time to time. I'd be interested in seeing how their hormone levels change over time, and how well that tracks their gender self-reports.

Alternating Gender Incongruity?

Spoiler:
Boris Veganofsky

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:17 pm UTC

joshz wrote:So I just found out that someone who I thought was a decent, intelligent person thinks that choosing to act on homosexual urges is a sin, and possibly also that homosexuality is a choice. :/

:/
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!
Aaeriele

Postby Vaniver » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:20 pm UTC

joshz wrote:So I just found out that someone who I thought was a decent, intelligent person thinks that choosing to act on homosexual urges is a sin, and possibly also that homosexuality is a choice. :/
Decency and intelligence are the aggregation of decisions and opinions. Those opinions may change, especially if you nudge them.

Brace wrote:This is a potentially dangerous reduction, as it stands the risk of providing a prima facie rationalization for testosterone therapy for transwomen, and other equally horrible things. It also seems to simplify things unnecessarily since we already know the human brain is sexually dimorphic along a number of different a separate axes, and we also know that the brain is hardly fully understood. Curiosity is grand, but um... gosh. I'm trying to think of a non-horrible way to say it. Try to channel your sense of wonder down new and productive rather than well-troden and refuted paths?
Spoilering long response:
Spoiler:
Agreed that the brain is sexually dimorphic in a lot of ways. Most of those ways are static, though; the sizes of Wernicke's and Broca's areas don't change from day to day. So for gender self-reports to be changing from day to day, there has to be something going on that can vary on those timescales.

Suppose that the self-reports don't track hormone levels (or their derivative or so on). That suggests that gender self-report is stored somewhere other than hormones, and examining the differences between bigender and transgender and cisgender individuals may find it. (It also seems like more evidence against testosterone therapy for transwomen.)

Suppose that the self-reports do track hormone levels (or their derivative or so on). That suggests that gender self-report is linked to hormones, but probably something else as well. Comparing the variance of bigender hormone levels to cisgender and transgender hormone levels will give some clues- do they just have much larger variance? Do they have similar variance but respond to it differently? It may be that bigender individuals have no anchor for their gender, and so their self-report fluctuates with normal hormonal variation. That missing anchor might show up as a brain region difference or a brain chemistry difference.

I am interested in learning what is true, even if there are risks involved.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.
Vaniver

Postby felltir » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:43 pm UTC

Yesterday I wore a corset. I love that I have a broad chest and narrow waist.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby Amie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:42 pm UTC

felltir wrote:Yesterday I wore a corset. I love that I have a broad chest and narrow waist.

Pics or it didn't happen.
Amie

Postby rath358 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:43 pm UTC

Fuck yeah corsets!
TEAM SHIVAHN

Red Hal wrote:If you can't tick all the boxes then you don't have privilege! Privilege; it's a multiple-input AND gate!
rath358
almost, but not quite, the prettiest princess

Postby joshz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:55 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Decency and intelligence are the aggregation of decisions and opinions. Those opinions may change, especially if you nudge them.
That is true, and I'm planning on having a discussion with him about it at some point when I have time.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.
joshz

Postby felltir » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:12 pm UTC

Amie wrote:
felltir wrote:Yesterday I wore a corset. I love that I have a broad chest and narrow waist.

Pics or it didn't happen.

... I should have taken some goddamn pics, or gotten the other person to. SOON
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!

Blog
felltir

Postby Noc » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:19 pm UTC

I guess it didn't happen then. Which is a shame, because it sounds like you would've enjoyed it!
Have you given up?
Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:20 pm UTC

Corsets are awesome. Was it one of those fancy and fun ones? That is such a bad description on my part because most corsets are like that.
these are words
type, type, type
scienceroboticspunk

Postby Brace » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:47 am UTC

Thinking of getting my ears pierced
Brace

Postby FreyasSpirit » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:34 am UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
PerchloricAcid wrote:I've always wondered what male gender "role" would be analogous to the female gender "role" of using nail polish (or, for that matter, wearing skirts, using make-up, wearing high-heels...) so that I could do it, just to raise awareness about how sucky it is that it's not considered to be okay for a "man" to have painted nails.
I was thinking about cutting my hair short, but I'm not so sure it'd look good on me. Everything I thought of is already ''acceptable'' for women (e.g. wearing ties).

There isn't really one, through the wonders of misogyny at work.

Spoiler:
I'm incredibly late to the party on this one, but in my eyes this isn't misogyny at all, it's misandry. Women fought for their right to act masculine through feminism and without feminism, it would still be unacceptable. It's not acceptable for men to act feminine because men have never had a fight for their rights.

And corsets are incredible. I'm still deciding if I want to wait for my boobs to figure out what size they want to stop growing at or if I should just get one that doesn't cover boobs, or if I should make a wild guess, or something else before I get a corset
FreyasSpirit

Postby Black Dynamite » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:40 am UTC

Brace wrote:Thinking of getting my ears pierced

I really want mine done too. Where does one even go to do this?
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!
(She, her, hers)
Black Dynamite

Postby poxic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:48 am UTC

One friend* recommends getting it done at a (reputable/licensed) tattoo-n-piercing parlour, rather than ye random jewelry shoppe. I'm not sure why, but the thought of going to a jewelry store to get a piercing done made her shudder.

* a much-pierced friend, that is
TEAM SHIVAHN

You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up i am with this.
- Tomlidich the Nth
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby Black Dynamite » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:52 am UTC

The only place I could think of at the moment was Claire's, but I have heard awful things about their piercings.
It wouldn't be silly to go to an actual piercing place just for ear lobe piercings?
(She, her, hers)
Black Dynamite

Postby poxic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:58 am UTC

Apparently not.
TEAM SHIVAHN

- Tomlidich the Nth
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:01 am UTC

DO NOT GO TO CLAIRE'S.

Now that that's out of the way; no it's not silly at all to go to a tattoo and piercing for lobes. That's what they're for. They will charge more than Ye Average Jewelery Shoppe but there's a reason for that. Places like Claire's are notorious for not training their piercers. They also use piercing guns which are less sanitary and often botch the piercing. Piercings are ideally done with a hollow needle, by hand. Always get hypoallergenic stainless steel studs for the initial piercing to avoid infection and allergies.

I'm speaking as a person who has had up to fifteen piercings in at a time and is pretty much an expert by now at getting bits of metal shoved into me.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.
Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Black Dynamite » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:02 am UTC

Virtual_Aardvark wrote:DO NOT GO TO CLAIRE'S.

Now that that's out of the way; no it's not silly at all to go to a tattoo and piercing for lobes. That's what they're for. They will charge more than Ye Average Jewelery Shoppe but there's a reason for that. Places like Claire's are notorious for not training their piercers. They also use piercing guns which are less sanitary and often botch the piercing. Piercings are ideally done with a hollow needle, by hand. Always get hypoallergenic stainless steel studs for the initial piercing to avoid infection and allergies.

I'm speaking as a person who has had up to fifteen piercings in at a time and is pretty much an expert by now at getting bits of metal shoved into me.

Yeah, that confirms what I've heard. I will be going to piercing place, then, when I decide to have them done. I only thought it would be silly because the one place I've been into before had tons of pictures of crazy piercings they're done. And pierced ears are so common, it didn't occur to me to go to a specialty place for them.

You've had fifteen piercings? That's amazing. What piercings did you have? My girlfriend has eleven and wants more, but doesn't know what else to pierce.
(She, her, hers)
Black Dynamite

Postby felltir » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:10 am UTC

STUFF

Spoiler:
I really don't like whether I actually did something being questioned in a safespace, even though I know you're joking.
Spoiler:

Blog
felltir

Postby Monika » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:58 pm UTC

FreyasSpirit wrote:
Aaeriele wrote:
PerchloricAcid wrote:I've always wondered what male gender "role" would be analogous to the female gender "role" of using nail polish (or, for that matter, wearing skirts, using make-up, wearing high-heels...) so that I could do it, just to raise awareness about how sucky it is that it's not considered to be okay for a "man" to have painted nails.
I was thinking about cutting my hair short, but I'm not so sure it'd look good on me. Everything I thought of is already ''acceptable'' for women (e.g. wearing ties).

There isn't really one, through the wonders of misogyny at work.

Spoiler:
I'm incredibly late to the party on this one, but in my eyes this isn't misogyny at all, it's misandry. Women fought for their right to act masculine through feminism and without feminism, it would still be unacceptable. It's not acceptable for men to act feminine because men have never had a fight for their rights.

Hmm, not quite.
Spoiler:
It's also misogyny, as misogyny is not only devaluing women, but also devaluing anything feminine (anything associated with femaleness/women).
I used to think along your lines, that while sexism mostly is discrimination of women, it sometimes is also discrimination of men - of men who want to be preschool teachers, stay-at-home dads, want to wear make-up or skirts, carry handbags or show their emotions.
I must say that reading Julia Serano's book "Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity" cleared that up for me.
Women are devalued for being women and for being feminine (e.g. showing emotions = weak), men can also be devalued ... if they show feminine gender expression (examples above), but it's both the same sexism, the devaluing of women/femaleness and femininity.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Monika

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:58 pm UTC

Black Dynamite wrote:
Virtual_Aardvark wrote:DO NOT GO TO CLAIRE'S.

Yeah, that confirms what I've heard. I will be going to piercing place, then, when I decide to have them done. I only thought it would be silly because the one place I've been into before had tons of pictures of crazy piercings they're done. And pierced ears are so common, it didn't occur to me to go to a specialty place for them.

You've had fifteen piercings? That's amazing. What piercings did you have? My girlfriend has eleven and wants more, but doesn't know what else to pierce.

Pretty much everyone starts with pierced ears then moves on to bigger, weirder things.

15 isn't a huge number actually by body mod standards, more like upper middle. The full list is three on each lobe (bottom ones stretched), three in right cartilage, industrial in left (that's the little bar that crosses the curve of the cartilage), tongue, both nipples and belly button. Most of them are out now but I'm hoping to get the industrial and nipples redone and maybe get something in the ladybits area. Really I think I prefer tattoos; they don't get caught in the hair of people you're making out with....
Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Amie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:57 pm UTC

felltir wrote:STUFF

Spoiler:
I really don't like whether I actually did something being questioned in a safespace, even though I know you're joking.

Spoiler:
Wow, sorry. I wasn't questioning it. I thought that was a fairly common way to pull someone's leg when you want them to post pictures of something you think would be really awesome to look at.
Amie

Postby natraj » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:58 pm UTC

oh, man, i read that as getting 15 things pierced at a time, not wearing 15 piercings at a time. then i was thinking like a corset or some play piercing that was removable. oops!

i want to add an industrial to my collection but i think my cartilage is awkwardly shaped for it sadly. i love them.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.
natraj

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:06 pm UTC

You can actually get industrial bars in a ton of shapes. I have really tiny ears (to match my tiny everything else) and regular bars have never works for any piercing. Letting my tongue heal was especially bullshit because they only had the regular healing bars at the shop I went to.

I've actually played with the idea of a corset piercing but the maintenance is too much for me to really deal with. I may get a downgraded version at like the back of my neck or something but I'd rather just get a really badass back tattoo and stop it already with all the piercing. I have to admit that the more intense/unusual piercings are dead sexy and I 'll probably always covet my ex's forearm piercings for their sheer awesomeness.
Virtual_Aardvark

PreviousNext

Return to General