[US] Cambervillains (Boston Area)

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Prelates, Moderators General

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:24 pm UTC

As thoroughly awesome as Garrison Keillor is, I will now whine about how you were all "skippy and I have no improv on Monday, do cake night" and I was all "okay" and now you're all "I'm not coming!" Booooooooo.

So are we doing pasta on Wednesday or combined buffy and planning on Thursday or both? I am confused. Also a last minute show was added on Wednesday so I'll be working 5:30-7:30 in Davis.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby hendusoone » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:29 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:Garrison Keillor TONIGHT at Northeastern
http://calendar.boston.com/boston-ma/ev ... egon-story

Great find! I wonder if I will be able to get from Rowley to Northeastern between 5:00 and 6:30.... ugh.

EDIT: Upon examination of google maps and mbta.com, I would need to be to Wonderland by 5:30 to pull it off, and that only gives me about 15 min between arriving at Northeastern station and the start to find the hall. Living so far north of Boston is nice some times, but really sucks other times.

EDIT 2: Other option is driving to Oak Grove (arrival by 5:45), then to Ruggles station (arrival 6:15?). Slightly more possible... but still tight.

EDIT 3: Oak Grove is nestled quite nicely in an area I have not yet been to, and would be uncomfortable finding my way to on a tight schedule, even (especially?) after thoroughly examining the satellite imagery. Therefore, I will sadly not be attending this.
Last edited by hendusoone on Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.
hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby Sprocket » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:48 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:As thoroughly awesome as Garrison Keillor is, I will now whine about how you were all "skippy and I have no improv on Monday, do cake night" and I was all "okay" and now you're all "I'm not coming!" Booooooooo.

So are we doing pasta on Wednesday or combined buffy and planning on Thursday or both? I am confused. Also a last minute show was added on Wednesday so I'll be working 5:30-7:30 in Davis.
I didn't know about Keillor until later...he's one of those "must sees" I didn't realise Cake Night rested on me.

So I have to baby sit tomorrow, and keillor is tonight. That only leaves W and Th. for me to get anything done for XKCD. I suppose there are a few hours on F.

Skippy and I determined the following -

three 2' x 15" signs: Now reading Rev .Thomas J. Williams Park Should read something like - Randall Munroe Memorial Park, also date, his birth year - present perhaps?

Park regulation signs require the word 'Raptors' to fit in a space 1/2" by 1 1/4", and 'Raptor' for 2" x 3/4" also 'raptor' and 'raptors' of apx. the same. should be white on dark grey/black.

dog clean up sign requires a 6"x6" velociraptor

also the phrase 'dog waste' which takes up 7 1/2" x 2" to be replaced with Raptor related phrasing.

A 2' x 3' sign with similar Randall Munroe Memorial Park stuff. and XKCD realted pamphlets to attach.

no velociraptor symbol 9" diameter circle.

Two no raptors symbols 2 1/2" inches square. black raptor, white background.

6" square - No velociraptors.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:55 pm UTC

I always like when more people show up as opposed to fewer. Don't worry about it, I'm just teasing.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby jtniehof » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:06 pm UTC

hendusoone wrote:EDIT 3: Oak Grove is nestled quite nicely in an area I have not yet been to, and would be uncomfortable finding my way to on a tight schedule, even (especially?) after thoroughly examining the satellite imagery. Therefore, I will sadly not be attending this.

How about Wellington? It's the usual spot to do a park-and-T on the Orange Line, and pretty easy to get to/find. Right on 16.
jtniehof

Postby hendusoone » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

jtniehof wrote:
hendusoone wrote:EDIT 3: Oak Grove is nestled quite nicely in an area I have not yet been to, and would be uncomfortable finding my way to on a tight schedule, even (especially?) after thoroughly examining the satellite imagery. Therefore, I will sadly not be attending this.

How about Wellington? It's the usual spot to do a park-and-T on the Orange Line, and pretty easy to get to/find. Right on 16.

You, Sir, are awesome, for pointing this station out. Assuming I get out of work on time, I AM GOING TO GO FOR IT!
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.
hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:24 pm UTC

I am all paranoid-like today. Mostly due to an amazingly dumb coincidence from last night.

I made it to Garrison Keiller's talk last night, with 15 minutes to spare (jtniehof, you are a hero). I walked into a rather packed auditorium, and found a seat in the back, dead center. I very much enjoyed the event.

Afterwards, I went to this mexican place on the corner of Huntington Ave and the street that goes to Ruggels station. I ordered a quesadilla. The girl in front of me handed a coupon that looked very much like a ticket stub to the cashier and got free nachos/salsa with her meal. As it turns out, it was the ticket stub from Keiller's talk, so I also got free chips/salsa. I very much enjoyed the food.

I got home around 10 pm, and saw a PM from CatProximity. After some messaging back and forth this morning, I learned that I SAT RIGHT NEXT TO HER AND DID NOT REALIZE IT (with apologies to the huge text baron).

What makes this worse (to me, at least) is after picking the seat, I was looking around seeing if I could spot CatProximity. I obviously had no idea what she looks like.

Anyway. I look forward to more XKCD fun this weekend, and possibly sooner. I need to bake some cookies.
hendusoone

Postby Okita » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:25 pm UTC

That story is full of hilarity. You guys were sitting next to each other and didn't even know it.

It's like a sitcom!

Now I feel bad that I worked instead of going to NE. I'll try not to make the same mistake for future random things.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Sprocket » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:17 pm UTC

It was pretty random.

Catproximity wrote:Hey Hendusoone, you don't by any chance look a little like Bakemaster and came in wearing a tie? I was wondering if you were there. Where'd you end up sitting?

Hendusoone wrote:Hi CatProximity,

I am not sure what Bakemaster looks like, but I was not wearing a tie. I was wearing a blue and green button-down patterned shirt that is almost but not quite plaid and khaki dockers. Brown hair that's not quite long but definitely in need of a trim, and about a 2-inch goatee. Thin black rimmed glasses, too. I sat dead center, 3 or 4 rows from the back, under the balcony.

I do not know if I saw you, and if I did I wouldn't know it.

That final question of the night struck me as the most XKCD-worthy of the evening, and his answer eliminated whatever minor doubts I may have had about Garrison being manly.

Catproximity wrote:I feel like that's where we were too. I was sitting next to a tan geek. My hair is dyed red, I was wearing maroon sweater with a hood and turquoise cordurys.

Hendusoone wrote:As a followup to my last message: I just saw Bakemaster's picture on couchsurfing.com. We could probably pass as brothers. It is rather frightening, really. But still, no tie.

Hendusoone wrote:...

Did the girl at the right end of your row talk on her cell phone in the middle of the presentation and then leave with her friend? And did you have a bag at your feet?

Catproximity wrote:The Indian woman, right? Yup. I had a feeling that was you next to us.

Hendusoone wrote:FRONT

TAN NERD . YOU . EMPTY SEAT . ME . SMELLY OLD GUY THAT CAME IN LATE

That's pretty crazy.

I don't know why I just had this feeling, once you told me you were there, that it may have been you.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby hendusoone » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:38 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:*snip*Bunch Of Quotes*snip*

I don't know why I just had this feeling, once you told me you were there, that it may have been you.

I almost muttered something about raptors, but did not want to make everybody around me think I was crazy. Perhaps I should eliminate this inhibition?

And for the love of whichever deity you may or may not worship, please stop capitalizing my forum name! Just a pet peeve of mine... I'm not angry, really... I'll just never be used to seeing that H. :?
hendusoone

Postby Sprocket » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:41 pm UTC

NO BUFFY THIS THURSDAY

Instead - Meet up Sign making and other excitingness! Yahoo!

If anyone wants to print out some of the smaller things on a color printer, let me know!
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Okita » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:34 pm UTC

But .... but...where?
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:45 am UTC

Yes, where? Sarah-casa? Skippy-casa? Gazeboville?
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:30 pm UTC

Was anyone doing things tonight?
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.
Princess Marzipan
Bananas are fish who attack divers inland

Postby Fantastic Idea » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:32 pm UTC

I propose that you and me clean the fuck out of our apartment, cause it is really gonna need it, and I won't be free again before the weekend.
Check out my amazing schedule of awesome:

Tonight - cleaning
tomorrow - gym
Friday - Bake cupcakes until dinner time?
Saturday - Breakfast, baking, cooking, then cocktail party!

I am a busy pirate. Arr.

(plz to be helping to clean)
How'm I supposed to know that you're high if you won't let me touch you?
Fantastic Idea
I'm the bad mod. Azrael is the good mod. Questions?

Postby Sprocket » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:05 pm UTC

4:30PM
1) get paint and stuff from friend's apartment
2) ???
3) Paint signs at Nougat's (around 7 or so)
4) sleep.

6)Go to work
5)buy cheese and alcomohol
6)get Grindelwald
7)go to Christopher's

8)dim sum
9)bake
10)get dressed
11)party
12)Hang up signs
13)sleep

14)go to meet up without a costume.
15)Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez.
Last edited by Sprocket on Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:12 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:4:30PM
1) get paint and stuff from friend's apartment
2) ???
3) Paint signs at Nougat's
4) sleep.

6)Go to work
5)buy cheese and alcomohol
6)get Grindelwald
7)go to Christopher's

8)dim sum
9)bake
10)get dressed
11)party
12)Hang up signs
13)sleep

14)go to meet up without a costume.
15)Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez.

I shall be there for the painting of signs, but late, since I have class until 4:45. Should I bring paints and such?
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby Sprocket » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:27 pm UTC

Sorry what I meant was after 4:30 today those were all the things I had to do. Nougat doesn't get off work til like 7ish
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Cosmologicon » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Okay, can I come? I just started reading this thread a couple days ago so I don't know details like what or where "Nougat's" is.
Cosmologicon

Postby Pixel » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:12 pm UTC

Cosmologicon wrote:Okay, can I come? I just started reading this thread a couple days ago so I don't know details like what or where "Nougat's" is.

Nougat is generally found at the center of a confection.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"
Pixel

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:42 pm UTC

I'll leave it to Nougat to give out Nougat's precise address, but for your planning purposes, it is in the Spring Hill area of Somerville.

I have work 'till 7:30 but will head to Gazeboville after with some crafts for crafting... things I talked about with Cat. No reason to give it away to out-of-towners.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Cosmologicon » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:51 pm UTC

Great. Well, whoever this Nougat is (I don't see that name in the forum member list), I accept Private Messages, and my email works. Thanks!
Cosmologicon

Postby Pixel » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:58 pm UTC

Cosmologicon wrote:Great. Well, whoever this Nougat is (I don't see that name in the forum member list), I accept Private Messages, and my email works. Thanks!

Try scrolling up in this thread and reading usernames and I'll bet you can figure out who it is.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"
Pixel

Postby Fantastic Idea » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:05 pm UTC

Oh hey I leave for a few hours and find out people are coming to my house tonight. Um, should I bail on the gym and do this crap instead? Shit, I really should, shouldn't I?

MAKE MY DECISIONS FOR ME!

For the record- I get out of work and can behome by 6ish, maybe, to greet people at Gazeboville. Earlier than that, and you're boned. Sorry. I generally spend Thursday nights at the gym sculpting my guns, but I'm willing to bail in the interest of being social. But only if there will be a Sarahwich.
Last edited by Fantastic Idea on Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Fantastic Idea

Postby Cosmologicon » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:07 pm UTC

Pixel wrote:
Cosmologicon wrote:Great. Well, whoever this Nougat is (I don't see that name in the forum member list), I accept Private Messages, and my email works. Thanks!

Try scrolling up in this thread and reading usernames and I'll bet you can figure out who it is.

Ah yes of course. Foolish me! "Bakemaster" is an anagram of "Remake Bats", and as everyone knows nougat was originally made from processed bat entrails. I don't know why I didn't see it before. Thanks for the hint!
Cosmologicon

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:08 pm UTC

Gazeboville=park across the street?
PictureSarah

Postby Fantastic Idea » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:10 pm UTC

Apparently. Or our apartment, or neighborhood... I dunno, Bakey keeps re-naming my and Noug's place. Which is annoying, because it's officially called the Treehouse. (though the porch is the Pirate Ship. Because I now have two pirates on it!)
Fantastic Idea

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:23 pm UTC

Want to be push-up-and-kung-fu buddies tonight, Meaux, in lieu of the gym? I will need to ameliorate the girly-factor of crafts anyway.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:30 pm UTC

the last crafty thing I did involved stripping all the finish off a piece of furniture and getting chemical burns on my hands, arms and feet. The one before that involved cutting the wings off of a dead bird. Crafts? Girly? NEVAR.

Also, "Gazeboville" is kinda a funny name...probably just to me, because at my high school, there was a gazebo in the middle of campus where all the scary goth kids/stoners/the one gay guy at school/other assorted misfits hung out. They were known as "the gazebo kids." Secretly I always wished I were cool enough/non-cool enough to be a gazebo kid. I was just the average kid who got along with all the cliques, and wasn't part of any of them, but not ostracized by any of them either. Can I be part of Gazeboville? I'm much cooler/less cool now!
PictureSarah

Postby Fantastic Idea » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:33 pm UTC

My next art project involves making an armature for paper ram horns, which I intend to attach to a plastic viking hat I found on the T in Brookline. It will be awesome. And then it will be my DRINKING HELMET.

Non-'girly' crafts for the win.

Also Sarah you ARE a part of gazeboville. I think I still have a pillow(?) of yours, as well as your sleeping bag and old computer. So, like Justin Homeless, since we can't get rid of you or your stuff, you're ours. AWWWWW.
Last edited by Fantastic Idea on Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Fantastic Idea

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:34 pm UTC

Meaux asserts that the structure across the street from her is not in fact a gazebo, but I can't stay consistent with my spelling of Fort Meimeaux and I like the word gazebo.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:36 pm UTC

...in my mind, Meaux and Noug's place just became "The GazeMeaux."
PictureSarah

Postby Princess Marzipan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:37 pm UTC

Our home will NEVER be known as "Fort" anything.

The details of why are sordid and time-consuming.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
Princess Marzipan

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:39 pm UTC

CreemyNougat wrote:The details of why are perfect for posting here.

Fix'd
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Fantastic Idea » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:42 pm UTC

Please, NO. Let's just leave that one alone.
It's the Treehouse. Deal with it.
Fantastic Idea

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:43 pm UTC

I am pouting now. This is me pouting.

Oh hey, I just realized I can get my TMBG CDs back from you tonight. Yay! No longer pouting!

...fuck
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Sprocket » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:03 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Meaux asserts that the structure across the street from her is not in fact a gazebo, but I can't stay consistent with my spelling of Fort Meimeaux and I like the word gazebo.
btw- any crafts y'all want to brign is cool with me. We pretty much have four big signs to work on and some little lettering stuff. Also Pamphlet making and a plan about danehey.
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Princess Marzipan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:15 pm UTC

I am hiding cleverly behind an adjective.

Everyone posting here about tonight actually knows each other already, and I think things are now learning toward a get-together with existing pals for tonight.

So clearly it's silly to post about that publicly, but this thread has become a catchall for plans since we're all too lazy to use email and communicate like normal people. =P

If we don't meet at the meet-up (highly likely given the suspected attendance), we should shoot for a wider Camberville meet the next week.

I think Cosmo, Okita, and hendu have yet to meet any of us scary interwebbers?
Shoot out some ideas and available time slots and we'll iron something out for next week.
Princess Marzipan

Postby hendusoone » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:51 pm UTC

CreemyNougat wrote:

I am hiding cleverly behind an adjective.

Everyone posting here about tonight actually knows each other already, and I think things are now learning toward a get-together with existing pals for tonight.

So clearly it's silly to post about that publicly, but this thread has become a catchall for plans since we're all too lazy to use email and communicate like normal people. =P

If we don't meet at the meet-up (highly likely given the suspected attendance), we should shoot for a wider Camberville meet the next week.

I think Cosmo, Okita, and hendu have yet to meet any of us scary interwebbers?
Shoot out some ideas and available time slots and we'll iron something out for next week.

I'm not a Cambervillian, but I live on the north shore, and love spending time in the city. My town (Rowley) consists almost entirely of antique shops. It is nice to spend time in a more exciting place.

CatProximity and I were within 2 feet of each other for about 2 hours, but we did not "meet."

I am guaranteed to meet Bakemaster this weekend, which will be fun. Especially if we look as much alike as the pictures I've seen of him suggest.

Evenings are best for me, usually a bit later due to the commute. A weekend would be ideal, but I probably have other things happening next weekend (Halo 3/Crysis demo). For getting into your area, I generally figure about 1.5 hours. Off work at 5, can be almost anywhere by 6:30.
Last edited by hendusoone on Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
hendusoone

Postby Sprocket » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:51 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I am pouting now. This is me pouting.

Oh hey, I just realized I can get my TMBG CDs back from you tonight. Yay! No longer pouting!

...fuck

Wait, Meaux's been borrowing YOUR TMBG CDs?!

Ok...but I've got Linell guruship. You can have Flansburgh... ;-)
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

PreviousNext

Return to XKCD Meetups