1058: "Old-Timers"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rhomboidal

1058: "Old-Timers"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon May 21, 2012 4:07 am UTC

Title Text: You were on the internet before I was born? Well, so was I.

Life begins at transmission.

Mikkim

Re: 1058: "Old-Timers"

Postby Mikkim » Mon May 21, 2012 4:09 am UTC

I really like how Randall did the dude's beard, it makes him look like a teenager who doesn't have any hygiene.

Me321

Postby Me321 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:10 am UTC

The first transporter? just kida slow.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon May 21, 2012 4:31 am UTC

God, I miss 2003. Trolling was a much more intellectual art form back then.

Whys

Postby Whys » Mon May 21, 2012 4:33 am UTC

Randall is illustrating an interesting concept. What becomes of us when we are no more than blue prints to be copied, transferred, and built when needed? What becomes of us when our blue prints are no longer needed?

faunablues

Postby faunablues » Mon May 21, 2012 4:44 am UTC

Mikkim wrote:I really like how Randall did the dude's beard, it makes him look like a teenager who doesn't have any hygiene.

and I like the girl's hair :D

Though I am disappoint about the typing onomatopoeia. Everyone knows it should be "toc toc."

Alsadius

Postby Alsadius » Mon May 21, 2012 4:49 am UTC

This can't possibly be accurate. A .dna file is about 750 MB, and everyone knows that there's no email server on the planet that lets you send more than a 10 MB attachment.

Airbuilder7

Postby Airbuilder7 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:06 am UTC

Whys wrote:Randall is illustrating an interesting concept. What becomes of us when we are no more than blue prints to be copied, transferred, and built when needed? What becomes of us when our blue prints are no longer needed?

Hollywood makes an action movie out of the whole thing, of course! :D

Maurog

Postby Maurog » Mon May 21, 2012 5:11 am UTC

Alsadius wrote:This can't possibly be accurate. A .dna file is about 750 MB, and everyone knows that there's no email server on the planet that lets you send more than a 10 MB attachment.

The genome was sent as 75 .arj files.
Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!

Carl T

Postby Carl T » Mon May 21, 2012 5:39 am UTC

It's just a shame we're so very far from being able to synthesize an entire genome. For all I know it's an open question whether you could make functioning chromosomes from the genome sequence alone, without any additional information about chromatin structure, methylations and whatnot.

Also, this gives a whole new dimension to "Someone is wrong on the Internet."

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon May 21, 2012 5:40 am UTC

faunablues wrote:
Mikkim wrote:I really like how Randall did the dude's beard, it makes him look like a teenager who doesn't have any hygiene.

and I like the girl's hair :D

Same here :) It always reminds me of Kaylee's up-do.

:3

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Mon May 21, 2012 5:45 am UTC

Um, you do know that after base64 encoding your 2.0GB file becomes 2.5GB, right?
(I am chosing to ignore the post saying the actual size is 750MB.)
Did you get the number on that truck?

Kanonfutter

Postby Kanonfutter » Mon May 21, 2012 5:45 am UTC

Maurog wrote:
Alsadius wrote:This can't possibly be accurate. A .dna file is about 750 MB, and everyone knows that there's no email server on the planet that lets you send more than a 10 MB attachment.

For some reason, mentioning .arj really hit the nostalgia for me, moreso than BBS.

And it is fun, in almost any forum, to see how people try to bolster their arguments with how long they have been active in that particular bit of the web.

/off to raise postcounts in other places

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon May 21, 2012 5:58 am UTC

Dang kids and their internet genomes.

Will the future old man chasing kids off his lawn be old man chasing kids off his homepage?

bogslug

Postby bogslug » Mon May 21, 2012 6:40 am UTC

"I've been on the Internet since the BBS days" makes my old man right eyeball twitch. We had BBS's because we couldn't get on the damn internet!

wst

Postby wst » Mon May 21, 2012 6:46 am UTC

Alsadius wrote:everyone knows that there's no email server on the planet that lets you send more than a 10 MB attachment.
You know, why is it that email and large files suck so hard? Back before I knew any better I obliterated the school email server by sending an Access database (not a large or complex one at that) to my IT teacher... 10MB is such a miniscule filesize in this world where the OS will happily use 2GB to just run itself, so why is it that email stuff just nopes its way into a corner and dies, whenever >10MB is involved?
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

snowyowl

Postby snowyowl » Mon May 21, 2012 7:19 am UTC

Strictly speaking, Teenage Girl, your genome has been on the Internet. Still impressive, but not as much as you make it sound.

Due to a holiday, my DNA is currently in two different houses more than 1000 km apart. It is also present in an aeroplane, albeit in trace amounts. Yet I am still only in one place at a time. Notice the distinction?
The preceding comment is an automated response.

J L

Postby J L » Mon May 21, 2012 7:25 am UTC

Neat idea.

And spam filters as contraceptives. Oh my ...

fenix849

Postby fenix849 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:26 am UTC

wst wrote:
Alsadius wrote:everyone knows that there's no email server on the planet that lets you send more than a 10 MB attachment.
You know, why is it that email and large files suck so hard? Back before I knew any better I obliterated the school email server by sending an Access database (not a large or complex one at that) to my IT teacher... 10MB is such a miniscule filesize in this world where the OS will happily use 2GB to just run itself, so why is it that email stuff just nopes its way into a corner and dies, whenever >10MB is involved?

Because email (SMTP) was never designed as a protocol to transfer binary data.

Its original use was for text-based electronic letter transmission, attachments were an afterthought driven by people not wanting to bother with that complex ftp stuff (you know.. file transfer protocol, imagine how bad ftp would be at sending sporadic short-form text-based messages).

So you end up with a bodge that kind of works.

But the main reason for that 10mb attachment bringing the mail server to it's knees back the day, is the fact that upload bandwidth was pretty low, and outbound SMTP is placed in a simple FIFO (First In, First Out) buffer, so all the 5 secs to send text messages back up behind your 30 minutes to send 10mb file attachment.

Postby AvatarIII » Mon May 21, 2012 8:11 am UTC

Airbuilder7 wrote:
Whys wrote:Randall is illustrating an interesting concept. What becomes of us when we are no more than blue prints to be copied, transferred, and built when needed? What becomes of us when our blue prints are no longer needed?

Hollywood makes an action movie out of the whole thing, of course! :D

thanks for making me read Whys' post in Trailer-Guy's voice... it's pretty epic.

also, I've never really understood the whole "I've been doing this since before you were born" oneupmanship, people can't help when they were born,

Istaro

Postby Istaro » Mon May 21, 2012 8:40 am UTC

Ahh, I thought it was Abe Lincoln.

StClair

Postby StClair » Mon May 21, 2012 8:49 am UTC

For me, file this under "why would you even do that?"

madjo

Postby madjo » Mon May 21, 2012 9:20 am UTC

I copyrighted your ass, now you'll have to pay me every time you fart!

Oh gods, the MPAA/RIAA will literally own the artists' brain.
Quick, we need to stop the Genome Project.
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Mon May 21, 2012 10:06 am UTC

bogslug wrote:"I've been on the Internet since the BBS days" makes my old man right eyeball twitch. We had BBS's because we couldn't get on the damn internet!

Consider a broader definition of Internet, to retroactively include Bulletin Boards. ... yeah, yeah ...

Better yet, consider the phrasing of the statement ... "BBS days" ... which could be inferred to mean when more people used BBS than HTTP, or it could mean from the first BBS logon to the very last BBS logon, if any such "last" could be considered falsifiable.

Fuzzy definitions lead to varied interpretations amongst a diverse population.

Randomizer

Postby Randomizer » Mon May 21, 2012 10:48 am UTC

Aw, yeah, I know what Randall's referencing. See here and here.

Synthetic DNA for the win!
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.

VegiZombie

Postby VegiZombie » Mon May 21, 2012 11:07 am UTC

I'm not sure what the rest of you are referring to but I have routinely sent files >> 10MB by e-mail.

aerogen42

Postby aerogen42 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:20 am UTC

We are and always were like that, that's what all that evolution and natural selection stuff is about.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon May 21, 2012 12:48 pm UTC

Maurog wrote:

If I understand correctly, our DNA contains lots of repeated stuff, so presumably it would compress losslessly pretty well. Even LZW should do a good job without any domain-specific source coding.

According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_genome#Information_content ) "the variations of a given human's genome from a common reference can be losslessly compressed to roughly 4 megabytes". Maybe that's how they did it?

Any comments from Molecular Information Theoreticians welcome.

Every time I remember that DNA uses a base-4 system I get a warm feeling inside.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

iandisme

Postby iandisme » Mon May 21, 2012 1:54 pm UTC

That girl is pretty well-spoken for someone who's not even out of kindergarten. The Venter Institute was founded in October 2006.

psyEDk

Postby psyEDk » Mon May 21, 2012 2:37 pm UTC

iandisme wrote:That girl is pretty well-spoken for someone who's not even out of kindergarten. The Venter Institute was founded in October 2006.

Clearly the comic is set at an appropriate time in the future.
psy/OPs :.
Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter
¯ Project 2501

bitwiseshift

Postby bitwiseshift » Mon May 21, 2012 2:54 pm UTC

Maurog wrote:

This made be wonder if there any other of us old-timers who went to UUNET and got their Usenet files from alt.binaries.*? There would be any number of separate binary files that you had to concatenate by hand.

jpk

Postby jpk » Mon May 21, 2012 3:29 pm UTC

psyEDk wrote:
iandisme wrote:That girl is pretty well-spoken for someone who's not even out of kindergarten. The Venter Institute was founded in October 2006.

Clearly the comic is set at an appropriate time in the future.

Or else he was just phoning it in. So he has an off day once in a while, he's allowed.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon May 21, 2012 4:17 pm UTC

Yeah, I don't know, this is like saying this apple pie was on the internet before I made it, because I followed the directions someone put online to make it.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

capefeather

Postby capefeather » Mon May 21, 2012 4:22 pm UTC

Why is she calling him wrong when there was nothing to correct?

...Somebody had to say it.

evac156

Postby evac156 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:34 pm UTC

With the apparently nonstop rise in popularity of the amateur webcam (read: exhibitionists performing for voyeurs' tips, preggo fetishists, etc.), there are probably a lot of people out there who were "on the internet before they were born."

It's conceivable, at least. :lol:

evac156

Postby evac156 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:35 pm UTC

capefeather wrote:Why is she calling him wrong when there was nothing to correct?

She is correcting his statement that he has been "on the internet." The operative word being "on". As she points out, he has merely looked at the internet, not actually been on it.

Semantic hairsplitting to comic effect.

NiteClerk

Postby NiteClerk » Mon May 21, 2012 5:02 pm UTC

bitwiseshift wrote:This made be wonder if there any other of us old-timers who went to UUNET and got their Usenet files from alt.binaries.*? There would be any number of separate binary files that you had to concatenate by hand.

Hand concatenation was much better than copying and typing the coding from a magazine. Only to not have it not work and then carefully check each line looking for typos. Then trying to debug and rewrite the program. Only to give it up. Then in the next months magazine issue they would print a correction or the few lines they accidentally left out. Aargh!

XTCamus

Postby XTCamus » Mon May 21, 2012 5:05 pm UTC

evac156 wrote:
capefeather wrote:Why is she calling him wrong when there was nothing to correct?

She is correcting his statement that he has been "on the internet." The operative word being "on". As she points out, he has merely looked at the internet, not actually been on it.

Your idea is funnier, and may even be correct, but did anybody else take this to mean he was "wrong" to call her a noob?

jpk

Postby jpk » Mon May 21, 2012 5:06 pm UTC

evac156 wrote:

Except for the comic effect part, yeah.

evac156

Postby evac156 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:23 pm UTC

jpk wrote:
evac156 wrote:

Except for the comic effect part, yeah.

It was in a comic. It had an effect. Therefore, it was comic effect. QED. <grin>

Okay, perhaps I should've said intended comic effect. I'm a little ambivalent about this strip, too.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”