0320: "28-Hour Day"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

0320: "28-Hour Day"

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:06 am UTC

Dare I believe that I'm the lucky one this time?

http://xkcd.com/320/
alt: small print: this schedule will eventually drive one stark raving mad.

I admit, I'm not sure I entirely understand the schedule demonstrated at the top, but I wish I could get 9 hours of sleep per day. And the added bonus of your mom is all the sweeter.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.
podbaydoor

Postby MissingDividends » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:08 am UTC

Am I the only one that was a bit underwhelmed simply because it was in no way related to the meetup?

That aside, it'd be nice to have a schedule that'd let me spend extra time with your mom...
MissingDividends

Postby hendusoone » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:08 am UTC

Indeed, you do appear to be the lucky one, beating me by a few seconds!

Anyway...

A few of us were discussing this concept while we were walking around the day before the meetup, contemplating the 6-day week.

Randall, get out of our heads!
Last edited by hendusoone on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.
hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby Dostoevsky » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:09 am UTC

if only there was a link. . .
I head that DaVinci slept for like, 20 minutes every four hours. Apparently the first few weeks are hell, but after that, youre a superhero
Dostoevsky

Postby Cabhan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:10 am UTC

Basically, the schedule works in that on all nights not Friday or Saturday, the sleep cycle syncs up pretty well with night. And on Friday and Saturday, because you sleep in the morning, you have the nights free to do whatever you want.

I spent like 5 minutes staring at this comic going "There's no way you can fit 28-hour days into a week!" Then it hit me that if you have only six "days" in a week, it works just fine.

I need more sleep <_<.
Cabhan

Postby suso » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:11 am UTC

MissingDividends wrote:Am I the only one that was a bit underwhelmed simply because it was in no way related to the meetup?

Nope, your mom was underwhelmed too.

Favorite your mom joke: "Your mom is so loose, its like throwing a hot dog down a hallway."
suso

Postby MissingDividends » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:13 am UTC

suso wrote:
MissingDividends wrote:Am I the only one that was a bit underwhelmed simply because it was in no way related to the meetup?

Shoulda seen that one coming.
MissingDividends

Postby Orange_Newton » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:14 am UTC

Who knows it might be fun to try some time, although the small print is a bit discouraging.
:roll:
Orange_Newton

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:19 am UTC

I think I've been inadvertantly doing that. I might just try keeping track of this, Can't sleep until 10 on fridays because of class tho', so I'd have to move it over a day. This could possibly work.

What is explaining guy's hand gesture in the 3rd panel, fingers laced?
Last edited by cephalopod9 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
cephalopod9

Postby Cryopyre » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:21 am UTC

Objective: Attempt schedule this break
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.
Cryopyre

Postby toysbfun » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:22 am UTC

It doesn't quite work.

At least, according to some mooks at Harvard.
toysbfun

I did this!

Postby spectral » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:26 am UTC

I actually naturally slipped in to this when I had absolutely nothing to do, and no obligations or parents around for an entire winter break one year. It was amazing, and I still tend to do something similar if I take a week off from work for some reason (completely without meaning to.. I stay up until I get tired, and sleep until I want to wake up, and this is what happens).

Dostoevsky
I head that DaVinci slept for like, 20 minutes every four hours. Apparently the first few weeks are hell, but after that, youre a superhero

This is called the uberman(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uberman%27s_sleep_schedule) sleep schedule (a form of polyphasic sleep, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep). I never had the time/guts to attempt it, unfortunately.

Let's hope this post makes it, I've never used BBCode before and this is my first to xkcd. woo!
spectral

Re: I did this!

Postby MissingDividends » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:28 am UTC

spectral wrote:I actually naturally slipped in to this when I had absolutely nothing to do, and no obligations or parents around for an entire winter break one year. It was amazing, and I still tend to do something similar if I take a week off from work for some reason (completely without meaning to.. I stay up until I get tired, and sleep until I want to wake up, and this is what happens).

Dostoevsky

This is called the uberman(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uberman%27s_sleep_schedule) sleep schedule (a form of polyphasic sleep, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep). I never had the time/guts to attempt it, unfortunately.

Let's hope this post makes it, I've never used BBCode before and this is my first to xkcd. woo!

Useful links, but you should probably go post in the intro thread...
MissingDividends

Postby albert » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:29 am UTC

Has anyone here ever actually tried this? Or perhaps tried the half hour nap every 6 hours awake?

If I didn't have a fixed schedule of classes, I might give it a shot.
albert

Postby e946 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:29 am UTC

25-hour Circadian rhythm and all that.
e946

Re: 28-hour day discussion

Postby arachnophilia » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:33 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:alt: small print: this schedule will eventually drive one stark raving mad.

i have to disagree. the 48-hour day schedule will (quite quickly) drive one stark raving mad. you get the strange sensation of missing time, like alien abductions or something.

i've actually held the 28-hour schedule, as well as the 32-hour one. i give the 28-hour credit for matching the duration of a week instead of carrying a remainder, but that's possibly the reason it's less likely to drive you crazy.

albert wrote:Has anyone here ever actually tried this?

sort of. "tried" wouldn't be the word, since i didn't do it on purpose. it's sorta hard to keep up, and happens accidentally when i try to switch from "up all night" to "up all day" and slowly slip back into "up all night." my proportions are more like 12 hours sleep and 16 hours awake on a "good" day and 4 hours sleep and 24 hours awake on a "bad" day.
arachnophilia

Postby scowdich » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:39 am UTC

I'd really like to try this...I feel like it'd fit my general sleep habits much more comfortably. So let's see...what do I need...
-An alarm clock with 7 alarms
-Some good blackout curtains
-No roommate
-No goddamn classes
scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby Rilian » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:39 am UTC

My brother was on a 27-hour schedule before he started that hell-hole called "school". He's not in "school" anymore, but he, for some reason, goes to bed at 10:00 and wakes up at 7:00 every single day.
And I'm -2.
Rilian

Postby Isaac Hill » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:40 am UTC

The last day shown has bed ending at 2pm. I think the time specified for the meetup was just after 2:30pm. Thus, this schedule had Randall waking up just in time to get ready and make it there for the countdown.
Isaac Hill

Postby arachnophilia » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:46 am UTC

scowdich wrote:-Some good blackout curtains

i recommend one of those "beauty sleep" type masks.

freshman year of college, i had the dorm with two fucking windows, and the streetlamp right outside. and no way to mount curtains. getting one of those seemed easier that taping blackouts to the wall every night.

works great for sleeping in the daytime.
arachnophilia

This formula is terrible news.

Postby Mokawi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:49 am UTC

I tried it for a 6-weeks crunch. I did feel the "alien abduction" feeling, not ever being connected with where I was and the time it was. On the moment, it felt alright, but my work was ruined. It was gone unreadable, because I had no connection to common sense when I wrote—and since I was doing philosophy, it was bad news. I had terrible marks, then I went on a burn-out, and I couldn't sleep normally for almost a full year. Even at the end, I would sleep normally for two or three weeks, then have a sleepless night and be pretty much unable to keep track of anything for 2-3 days.

So: DON'T EVER DO IT!!!!!!!
Mokawi

Postby Flying Betty » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:00 am UTC

I could probably do this if I didn't mind the sarcasm from my parents. I get later and later if not kept in check until I go almost completely nocturnal. Then I go mad, but that may have to do with external factors.
Flying Betty

Postby Deskchair Intellectual » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:01 am UTC

And I thought I was the only one who loved using Your Mom as a reply to everything.

I'm just plain stupid with it though
'Oh, hi, what's your name?'
'Your mom.'
:(
14 year old, spends her life reading links of Wikipedia articles and webcomics.
Deskchair Intellectual

Postby NightStar » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:06 am UTC

some students from my school tried the 20min every four hours and got a write-up in the paper (linky- it's the third paragraph or so). there's a two week adjustment period, which coincidentally is the time it takes to screw your self beyond all hope in an engineering class. so basically, impossible for college students and improbable for everyone else.
Hawknc wrote:Madness?
THIS IS COLLEGE!
*Kicks a beer keg over a balcony*
NightStar
"Hold very still, Mr President....."

Postby japanese_jew » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:06 am UTC

arachnophilia wrote:i have to disagree. the 48-hour day schedule will (quite quickly) drive one stark raving mad. you get the strange sensation of missing time, like alien abductions or something.

i've actually held the 28-hour schedule, as well as the 32-hour one. i give the 28-hour credit for matching the duration of a week instead of carrying a remainder, but that's possibly the reason it's less likely to drive you crazy.

QFT. Not the 32 hour one. That's pretty hardcore.
Last edited by japanese_jew on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
japanese_jew

Postby leebenningfield » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:07 am UTC

I wish my schedule was flexible enough that I could do a 28 hour day. But alas, I remain exhausted every morning, and in bed half of the weekend. (though I think 18/10 would suit me better some days than 20/8 )
leebenningfield

Postby space_raptor » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:07 am UTC

Rilian wrote:My brother was on a 27-hour schedule before he started that hell-hole called "school". He's not in "school" anymore, but he, for some reason, goes to bed at 10:00 and wakes up at 7:00 every single day.

I am becoming like this. I am up now, but I wish I went to bed an hour ago. I'd feel great at work tomorrow if I was already asleep.

This can happen to you, kids.

Also, my sense of humor is pretty well described by the stick man on the right. Maybe with more offensive description of the naughty nympho acts your mom likes, though.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.
space_raptor

Postby dragoneye1589 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:08 am UTC

Umm, am I being stalked? I have a friend that incessantly makes your mom in bed jokes all the time and I get mad at him all the time for it. Also my last name is stark, sooo with some added punctuation to the alt text.

"...will eventually drive one stark, raving mad."

Creepy...
dragoneye1589

Postby Jach » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:13 am UTC

Rats, beaten to the Uberman discussion.. But yeah, I'd rather go on that. I tried it last summer but failed, so I'll try it again this summer (and start earlier on). If I get in the habit I can be ready for school, and they say after you get used to it you can go plus or minus an hour between naps. (My schedule once school started would require me to nap at 7 am instead of 8 and then again at 12 except on Mondays where it's early out so it'd be around 11.)

The 'your mom' was very well played indeed.
I love reading quotes.
Jach

Postby Blipo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:15 am UTC

I'd try that. Seems like a good idea. Maybe I'm already stark raving mad, but ..
Blipo

Postby Deskchair Intellectual » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:15 am UTC

arachnophilia wrote:
Deskchair Intellectual wrote:And I thought I was the only one who loved using Your Mom as a reply to everything.

I'm just plain stupid with it though
'Oh, hi, what's your name?'
'Your mom.'
:(

didn't your mom ever teach you to start in the introduction thread? :D

No, but your mom did.
Last night.
In bed.
Introduction Thread? I don't need no stinkin' introduction thread!
None the less, I made this account for the pure reason to reply to this thread. I wanted to post so I could get my statement out there and then explore, you see?
Edit: Either way, I went and did the intro thing. Go ahead and laugh at the silly newblette.
14 year old, spends her life reading links of Wikipedia articles and webcomics.
Deskchair Intellectual

Postby bwross » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:25 am UTC

I did it for just over 2 months once with no bad effects. But then again I regularly run 25-26 hour days if I don't take care to make sure I go to bed at the right time (which means that it only takes a few days and I'll suddenly find myself being nocturnal by accident). Stretching to 28 hours was a bit of a step, but not too much... it also happened to work exactly right with my class schedule that term.

It should be noted that when I did it, I already had more than a decade's experience in shifting around my schedule (I've got more than 15 now)... sleeping during the day and working during the night were things I had done before. Keeping track of my day (and it's phase shift - currently PI/2) relative to the clock is something that's become a habit (although at one point I was running 25 hour days by turning back the clock just before going to bed (every day was Daylight Saving Win Day with a free hour of sleep)... I eventually decided that that was too confusing).
bwross

Postby Delbin » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:29 am UTC

I could probably handle the schedule if it weren't for sunlight. My sleep already gets all out of whack when summer sets in and I can't help but get flushed with the stuff.

I don't think I could go to bed an hour after work was over, though (the third bed in the chart.)
Delbin

Postby Phlegmatic » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:41 am UTC

I've actually wanted to do exactly this for a long time, but never got around to workign out the details because I'm still in high school. It really feels good to get a full night's sleep and I'm never tired unless enough I'm up for at least 18 hours. I'm pretyy sure I woudl fall into this schedule nicely, so long as I could keep myself busy. This summer I should work out the schedule so I can see if I can plan my classes at uni around it, if possible.

I'd need an alarm clock that would work, so if anyone knows of one, speak up! I wonder if they make watches that could be programmed to have 28-hour days... time to google it.

EDIT: Haven't found any actual clocks, but I did find this.

On the topic of odd sleep schedules, a guy I know usually sleeps 6 hours a night. Not all that impressive; I can get for at least a week on 4 or 5 before hitting the wall. However, when he gets really busy, he goes on a weird rotation. First night, 6 hours, next night, 3 hours, thrid night, no sleep. Repeat. Apparently it works for him. personally, I can never keep myself that busy. Not enough work ethic. >.>
Last edited by Phlegmatic on Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"There is a tiny metal thing above it. The kraken stirs.
And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance."

-Good Omens, Terry Pratchet and Neil Gaiman
Phlegmatic

Postby Workaphobia » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:43 am UTC

This comic speaks to my very soul.

Seriously, last year an acquaintance of mine tried to shut me up by making a mom joke that made little contextual sense. The kicker was that he took it more or less seriously, and seemed to think it was a properly thought-out insult. Since that moment I fought back by using an extreme number of irrelevant mom-jokes in contextually nonsensical situations. This was before I had started reading xkcd. Eventually I lost control, and was making jokes non-stop to the unending irritation of my roomate, who eventually enacted a policy of hitting me until I stopped. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't seem to stop until the end of the academic year, the habit was that strong.

A friend of mine who does read xkcd is a fan of introducing random quotations into conversations, primarily from the comic. I exchange various mom-themed greetings with him on a regular basis. Also present are a number of "ass"-hyphen rearranging lines and the "Shitcock" line from Penny Arcade. It's probably at the point where we've overdone the intended purpose of those jokes, very similar to how xkcd commented on the constant quotation of Monty Python and Star Wars one-liners. Nonetheless, we have indeed formed an augmented dialect using these one-liners, and I feel this comic is a real tribute to that effort.

Now please excuse me while I pay tribute to your mom.
Workaphobia

Postby Kendally » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:52 am UTC

MissingDividends wrote:
suso wrote:

Shoulda seen that one coming.

Your mum saw that one coming.

My preferred sleep cycle is basically where I spend at least 10 hours a day unconscious and slowly move over to a nocturnal schedule on school holidays.
Kendally

Postby NMcCoy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:05 am UTC

ITYM "Shoulda seen your mom coming".
NMcCoy

Postby wildcat » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:32 am UTC

small print: this schedule will eventually drive one stark raving mad.

Yeah, spending a few minutes a day with my mom will do that to anybody.

Workaphobia wrote:Now please excuse me while I pay tribute to your mom.

Pics or it didn't happen.

/ In before tribute pics of your mom
wildcat

Postby Domovoi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:18 am UTC

This one was great. Also, another reason to start working for myself rather than in an office: try alternate sleep schedules.
Domovoi

Postby lamaros » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:22 am UTC

You should be sleeping for 9 1/3 hours a day, not 8 or 9!

24/8 = 3
28/x= 3
x = 9 1/3!!

Otherwise you're constantly losing sleep.

My sleep schedule at the moment is something like 2am-11am sat/sun/mon/tues/wed 2am-7am thursday, 1am-noon friday.

I've tried various sleeping patterns in the past but all I've found is that the more out of sync you get with a 24 hour pattern the more sleeping problems you have.
lamaros

Next

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads