Trying something new every month

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

gametaku

Trying something new every month

Postby gametaku » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:19 am UTC

With a new school year approaching I've decided that I should spend the at least the next semester working on being well less boring. My goal is that for two or three weekends a month I will spend four or more hours attempting to do something I've never done before. However I'm really not all that good at coming up with ideas on what to do and thus I'm looking for suggestions.

I should set some criteria

• I'm looking not to spends more then $60 a month
  • It is not something that is done on the computer.
  • I live in Hamlin, pa and hopefully within a month or so will be moving to East Stroudsbrug, Pa. There isn't really all that much around here, so certain options are limited. That said a trip to Allentown, and possibly Philadelphia are not out of the questions but that does take the time slot for a weekend.
  • I really don't have anyone I could do things with so it should be stuff I can do on my own.
  • things that take less time are useful, I can either combine a few into a single month or use them in places where my original plans don't work out.

Somethings I've thought of:

Go hiking somewhere and then sit and draw what ever comes to mind. Technically not brand new since I've hiked before and I've drawn before but not at the same time, and I've generally avoid the latter.

Go to a convention, or something along the lines

Attempt to make something: wood carving, chainmail, ect

Make a recipe that requires a good portion of the day to make. I'm a decent cook so this would be something that is more involved then some dinner for myself.

Learn a bit of new language.

and yes this was partiality inspired by Matt Cutts try something new for 30 days
Last edited by gametaku on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Endless Mike

Re: Trying something new every month

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:53 pm UTC

Lockpicking?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:01 pm UTC

Can you juggle? You can learn to do it inside, outside, crossing under and tennis which are all fairly simple (once you can do basic three ball juggling).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:06 pm UTC

Cool! Kayaking? Biking? Rock climbing (bouldering or joining a club that'll get you out and about)? Perler beading?
I just did these a few weeks ago;
Spoiler:
perl.jpg

I'm generally very pro-activities that are fun hobbies for the sake of doing something new.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

gametaku

Postby gametaku » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:30 am UTC

I think I want on a field trip to quiet valley in elementary school. (it's was either their or someplace similar). I also worked on the adventure sports app for blackberry and android. (if it's still available, don't get it the app as it is horrible).

That said those are pretty good suggestions.

Endless Mike wrote:Lockpicking?

That might be interesting.

Angua wrote:Can you juggle? You can learn to do it inside, outside, crossing under and tennis which are all fairly simple (once you can do basic three ball juggling).

Well I really won't know till I try.

Izawwlgood wrote:Cool! Kayaking? Biking? Rock climbing (bouldering or joining a club that'll get you out and about)? Perler beading?

Definitely good ideas, probably save kayaking and rock climbing for the spring, the former since it involves water, and the latter since I need to get into better shape before doing so.

I just did these a few weeks ago;
Spoiler:
perl.jpg

I'm generally very pro-activities that are fun hobbies for the sake of doing something new.

I remember those from when I was a kid, so technically not new but seeing as I had not done anything like that since I was a child and it gets me somewhat out of my comfort zone, (something I want the new activity to do on occasion) I'll add it to my list.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:22 am UTC

I remember Perler beads as well (or whatever they were called back then). Great fun.

If I had the time and motivation, I'd take up string art. I started a thread about it a long time ago.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55370

Check this out:
Spoiler:

I might also suggest community theater, but that would of course depend on whether your community already has such an organization. Of course, you could always start your own, but that would at least require some minimal availability (or at least a favorable disposition) in your community.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:11 pm UTC

$35 gets you this: Tony Dixon D Whistle
If there's plenty of nothing, take that with you to nowhere and learn how to play it. It's a really simple melodic instrument, one of the easiest to learn and play, and it sounds good.

Cons: you can only play the key of D or sometimes G. Limited range.
Pros: Inexpensive, easy, sounds good, super portable, takes no electricity
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

yawningdog

Postby yawningdog » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

I recommend SCUBA. A lot of dive shops have a "get your feet wet" kind of deal where they let you use all the gear and you get to swim around underwater in a pool for a couple of hours under the close supervision of a divemaster. It's quick, cheap, and a pretty cool experience.

There's firearms. A lot of ranges will let you rent a gun, buy the ammo, and give you a safety/proficiency course. Gun store pros are usually super-nice and very helpful, if a little creepy. If you're gun-averse, there's also archery.

I found golf to be fun for the first timer and not especially expensive as long as you're at a cheaper course.

Chainmail - That's not going to be a four hour gig. I knew a metal fabricator who made his own shirt once and it took him several months. He said it was extremely labor intensive, like knitting only with 3mm steel wire.
"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
- Bruce Lee

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:40 pm UTC

yawningdog wrote:I recommend SCUBA. A lot of dive shops have a "get your feet wet" kind of deal where they let you use all the gear and you get to swim around underwater in a pool for a couple of hours under the close supervision of a divemaster. It's quick, cheap, and a pretty cool experience.
Cheap? In my experience it usually amounts to several hundred dollars.

gametaku

Postby gametaku » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:25 am UTC

I've decided to start a blog:

yawningdog wrote:Chainmail - That's not going to be a four hour gig. I knew a metal fabricator who made his own shirt once and it took him several months. He said it was extremely labor intensive, like knitting only with 3mm steel wire.

Well, um I'm not delusional and think i can make a chainmail shirt in four hours. Making chainmail would be a month long project, and so I would be at it for twelve hours minimum, and I would be happy if I had enough to make the sleeve of a t-shirt.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:51 am UTC

The canonical beginner's chainmaille project is a dice bag. Then again, I've never made one and I've been mailling for... eight years? Holy crap. There's also jewelry, juggling balls/hackeysacks, bracers, stuff like that. Inspiration can be found here and here.

yawningdog

Postby yawningdog » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:32 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
yawningdog wrote:I recommend SCUBA. A lot of dive shops have a "get your feet wet" kind of deal where they let you use all the gear and you get to swim around underwater in a pool for a couple of hours under the close supervision of a divemaster. It's quick, cheap, and a pretty cool experience.
Cheap? In my experience it usually amounts to several hundred dollars.

Only if you're getting certified. If you're not taking classes or getting certified and you just want to breathe underwater for a while under close supervision in a controlled environment, it's pretty cheap.
"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
- Bruce Lee

rolo91

Postby rolo91 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:30 am UTC

What about martial arts?

I've never been a sports guy, but I would recommend you judo, I tried for just a month and decided to stay. You don't require any previous physical training, as it's more about technique than strenght, and its really addicting. Where I live classes are quite cheap, I pay 20 €/month plus 25 for the judogi ( training gear).

And if you're not sure enough to spend money on it, in almost every dojo they let you go to a free class with no compromise. You could spend a couple weeks going to different gyms and trying different activities :D

gametaku

Postby gametaku » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:11 am UTC

rolo91 wrote:What about martial arts?

I've never been a sports guy, but I would recommend you judo, I tried for just a month and decided to stay. You don't require any previous physical training, as it's more about technique than strenght, and its really addicting. Where I live classes are quite cheap, I pay 20 €/month plus 25 for the judogi ( training gear).

And if you're not sure enough to spend money on it, in almost every dojo they let you go to a free class with no compromise. You could spend a couple weeks going to different gyms and trying different activities :D

I actually did taekwondo, and jujutsu for a semester and a bit of the following during my undergrad years. Ended up quitting since the times were not working with my schedule, and haven't been able* to get back since.

That said trying a new style would count as a new activity, however it doesn't work for a couple of reasons

1. See above about my shape.
2. My weekdays, when most dojo's have classes, next semester are pretty much filled, come spring my course load will decrease and I might look to join a dojo.

* admittedly there probably has been times I could of but didn't put in the effort.

rolo91

Postby rolo91 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:08 am UTC

Oh, ok. Well, if you want something which doesn't take time nor requires good shape (at all), you can try lucid dreaming :P

Return to “General”