Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Monika » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:05 pm UTC

Hi free-bee!
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

ApexPredator

Postby ApexPredator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:18 pm UTC

Hi...
I'm David...
23... 1.67... 90...
Been reading xkcd for a long time now, never been that active on forum previously, only just started reading these forums. May lurk for a while, but probably not, i'm too opinionated.
I have just finished my first year of a Mechatronics Engineering degree, I also have ~3 years of experience working in IT support. I use whatever is installed on a computer and find that all have their merits and demerits. Personal preference however is Linux.

I game occasionally, but that is becoming less frequent as I get older. I'm currently building a couple websites over the summer holidays and also getting ridiculously fit so that I can do a mountain run with my brother in March.

That is about everything, looking forward to getting to know you guys.

Oh also I'm from New Zealand.

Indy

Postby Indy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

May the mods forgive me for not posting on here earlier.

I'm from New Zealand too. I have one of those despised liberal arts degrees (French, German and Ancient Greek) and an outdoor adventure leadership qualification. Reading and growing veges are about the only hobbies I have time for at the moment, but I'm looking forward to getting back into kayaking and other outdoor stuff. While I'm doing mindless things I listen to philosophy and theology lectures online, planning to expand into the sciences.
Manuka in bloom may breed despair

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:04 pm UTC

What could be despisable about learning German? :D

ApexPredator

Postby ApexPredator » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:46 pm UTC

It's the literal arts part that was being referenced I think. All things are forgiven for those of an inquiring mind :P
While I enjoy giving Art majors crap about their degrees, I actually believe the pursuit of knowledge in any field is never a waste of time. The problems only start when people are misguided about how they will use this knowledge in life. While a few people do get to get jobs in these fields the majority of these graduates will end up doing something else.

Indy

Postby Indy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:36 am UTC

Yes, Monika, German is great :) And you are so right AP. It was great to be able to study things I was interested in, but I haven't *yet* been able to work in an even remotely related field. It may not earn me money but it enriches my life in other ways. I guess since you're doing engineering you're at Canterbury? I did my last two years there.

ApexPredator

Postby ApexPredator » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:24 pm UTC

No cookie on that one, i'm at Massey in Palmerston North, the new engineering program is pretty interesting here. I was going to go to canta but various other things got in the way and I decided in the end that it won't matter much for undergrad in the end.

Indy

Postby Indy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:47 am UTC

Cool, good luck!

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:13 am UTC

My name is Reecer6. "Hi, Reecer6." I am an alchoholic. ...Wait, this isn't XKCDAA? Um, hello! I am a huge fan of Homestuck, and a recent fan of XKCD. I got hooked onto it when I found out about the What-Ifs, and later started also liking the comic as well. On many occasions I've read the comic and hopped down to the forums to read about you guys discussing it, without being able to contribute anything myself. I've trawled through the logic puzzles and forum game threads a whole lot too. I don't know why I hadn't made an account already! I hope to contribute some stuff to this forum!

sloppymop3

Postby sloppymop3 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:23 am UTC

hello, my name is christian. im 29. kinda new to this stuff. welp. oh, im venezuelan! but ive lived in america for about half my life. entyways, thanks for listening.

Demki

Postby Demki » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:18 pm UTC

Hello, my name is Mor, I'm 17, almost 18, I live in Israel.
I like mathematics, physics, and I like computer science even though I don't know much yet.
I play Dwarf Fortress, Toribash, (a very small bit of) Minecraft, Heroes of M&M III, Golems Universal Constructor(if anyone has even heard of that), and a few more games which I don't remember right now.
Before I signed up I lurked at the Mathematics, Physics, Coding, Computer Science, Logic Puzzles and the Individual XKCD Comic Thread boards.

I somewhat relate to XKCD #386, so... sorry in advance.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:32 pm UTC

Hi Mor, Computer Science is a lot of fun.

danken080

Postby danken080 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:44 am UTC

Hey, Christian! Hello, Mor!

I'm Danken (which is a junction of the first three letters of my name and surname, and not thanks, ja). I am currently studying mechatronics engineering at the University of São Paulo, but next year I'll probably ditch the mecha part of it and change to a electrical/electronics engineering degree. The mechatronics engineering program grew out of the mechanical engineering program, and is a part of the mechanical engineering department, so it's very heavy on the mecha part. I should have known this before hand :)

At the moment I'm a bit anxious because I'm not exactly sure about this change. I know that I don't enjoy the mechanics part (at least not to make a job out of it), but I'm not truly confident about electrical engineering. I'm changing for the signals/imaging/information theory/mathy part of EE, and not so much for the circuit wizardry. Guess I'll wait and see.

Besides that, I enjoy reading quite a bit as well as learning about linguistics and foreign languages. And procrastination. If you combine these three, you get what I did this year -- I procrastinated per languages. I am currently learning German and a bit of French, so I reserve any book originally written in those languages to be read only when I'm able to read them in the original language. Well, I wasn't nearly as strict as I wrote and ended up using it as a excuse when was convenient. Only read a few poems and about 20 pages of Faust in German, with a single strophe of a poem written in French. Guess I'm lucky I'm not learning Italian :D

Oh, I'm 18 years old and live in the state of São Paulo, Brazil. I rarely write anything larger than one line in English, so please forgive the sloppiness :P

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:52 am UTC

Hi Danken, your English is actually fairly good!

I think we have much in common. I crave linguistics and information theory, too. :)
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Waferthinslice

Postby Waferthinslice » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:23 am UTC

Hi, I'm Waferthinslice. I'm 15, male and Australian. This is my first post on any forum as I never found a good community before this. I've recently moved on from video games and was seeking something else to fil the time and this community looks good. I'm an all-around nerd and proud of it- my goal in life is to know enough about near-everything to hold a reasonable conversation. I'm interested in maths, science (especially physics), industrial metal music, cricket and rugby union.

lunchbox1100101

Postby lunchbox1100101 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:18 am UTC

Hello all,

I am lunchbox1100101

I am a 25 year old programmer.
I have been reading the comics since college and i have been lurking the forums for a few months.

I now need to find a new thread to follow since the pressure split thread has been locked.
I miss the limericks and table flipping emoticons.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:56 pm UTC

Here, take this: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ :)

lunchbox1100101

Postby lunchbox1100101 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:52 am UTC

Monika wrote:Here, take this: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ :)

Thank you, I will gladly take the table from kirby.

BrandiElizabeth

Postby BrandiElizabeth » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:05 am UTC

Hey everyone! I was on the forum a long time ago as Pirate.Bondage. A lot has obviously changed in the years since I was active here - I am now 21, married to a soldier, living 1300 miles from home. I'm still seeing some familiar names here, very glad for that!

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:05 am UTC

Oh hooray, yay! Old people!
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:10 am UTC

Welcome back! I remember Pirate.Bondage.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

evilsqirrel

Postby evilsqirrel » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:40 am UTC

Hello, everyone. During my late night explorations of the interblag, I have stumbled upon the xkcd forums. I figured it would be nice to have yet another thing to take up all this extra time I have on my hands in this dreary town.

I live 30 minutes from anything interesting, and my computer is one of the few things that keep me partially sane.
Currently, I am 17 years of age, and I am planning on attending college in the seemingly cliche field of Computer Engineering.

I look forward to providing you hours of excitement, adventure, and complete nonsense.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:50 pm UTC

Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas!

MetallicHank

Postby MetallicHank » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:07 pm UTC

People of the interweb, my name is MetallicHank and I'm from The Netherlands. I am a big fan of the XKCD comics and the "what if" series too. My nickname is inspired by my hair color (I'm getting grey at 27 aaargh) and the fact that Henri was a bit too French for my colleagues to pronounce.
I'm a software engineer by profession, but also do software side projects. I love cats. Do not start talking about cars or you'll end up getting a 5 hour lecture about the inner workings of turbochargers and why twin scroll housings are more effective than VTG systems on line 4 engine, but less on a flat 6 engine. And why I find diesel cars are actually really cool.
I like electronic music like Daft Punk, Kavinsky, Crystal Castles, Phantogram and the XX. But from time to time I listen to Julia Stone or The Whitest Boy Alive too.
I hate it when I get interrupted by velociraptors running around the office.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas to you, too!

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:52 pm UTC

MetallicHank wrote:People of the interweb, my name is MetallicHank and I'm from The Netherlands. I am a big fan of the XKCD comics and the "what if" series too. My nickname is inspired by my hair color (I'm getting grey at 27 aaargh) and the fact that Henri was a bit too French for my colleagues to pronounce.
I'm a software engineer by profession, but also do software side projects. I love cats. Do not start talking about cars or you'll end up getting a 5 hour lecture about the inner workings of turbochargers and why twin scroll housings are more effective than VTG systems on line 4 engine, but less on a flat 6 engine. And why I find diesel cars are actually really cool.
I like electronic music like Daft Punk, Kavinsky, Crystal Castles, Phantogram and the XX. But from time to time I listen to Julia Stone or The Whitest Boy Alive too.
I hate it when I get interrupted by velociraptors running around the office.

What's difficult about pronouncing "Henri" in Dutch?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

MetallicHank

Postby MetallicHank » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

'Hank' is 1 syllable, 'Henri' is 2.
It's not the language per se ;)

thudworm

Postby thudworm » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:35 am UTC

MetallicHank wrote: My nickname is inspired by my hair color (I'm getting grey at 27 aaargh) and the fact that Henri was a bit too French for my colleagues to pronounce.

Getting grey at 27 is nothing, I have a friend who started going grey when she was around 12!

While I'm here I might as well introduce myself. I'm thudworm, I've also been known to answer by the name Jacqui. I've been lurking these forums for quite a while, as you can probably tell by my join date. I'm currently still getting messages flagged as spam when I try to post in Mafia, so it's time to contribute to a few threads. Speaking of Mafia, come check it out, I'm sure we could always use more players, and it's a lot of fun. :D

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:51 am UTC

My husband and his brother also started getting gray around the age of 14.

Protoform

Postby Protoform » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:25 pm UTC

Hi,

I'm known as Protoform on the almighty internet, and I'm new on the forums. I've been reading the xkcd comics (and more recently the what-if ones, too) for a long time, but never got around to signing up on the forums. I've been lurking for a month or so, and finally decided to sign up.

Oh, right, about me. There's not an awful lot to tell, honestly. I'm an AI major at a university somewhere in Europe, reading books is my favourite activity (touch my books and die, basically), and when I'm procrastinating I tend to play games or spend time on the internet on places like this. That's pretty much it. I hope you'll have me. *smiles*

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:47 am UTC

Hi Protoform!

AI student? So you will be working on improved spam bots? ;) http://xkcd.com/233/ http://xkcd.com/632/ http://xkcd.com/810/

Enjoy yourself on the forum!
Last edited by Monika on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:49 am UTC

I really think Monika should have a "Unofficial Forum Greeter" title or something.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

roband

Postby roband » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:38 am UTC

But then ze'd be the official forum greeter...

Phredd94

Postby Phredd94 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:45 am UTC

[Edit: content removed]
Last edited by Phredd94 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

Phredd94 wrote:I plan to study computer science, but I'm new enough to the field that I have no idea what specific area thereof.

That's not something you need to decide before you start. :)

I'm the first to admit that I spend far too much time on the internet.

Welcome to the club! 8-)

Phredd94

Postby Phredd94 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:10 am UTC

Monika wrote:
Phredd94 wrote:I'm the first to admit that I spend far too much time on the internet.

Welcome to the club! 8-)

And of course, my solution for too much internet? Sign up for forums! :mrgreen:
Thanks for the welcome!

Naeblis

Postby Naeblis » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

Hello!

I'm Naeblis. I'm 22, about to graduate with a degree in Computer Science. I program in Python and C. Have also been learning Scheme lately.

I live in New Delhi, India. Have been a big fan of the comic for quite a while now. Thought I'd join the forums. :)

Other than that, I love reading. Mostly fantasy or sci-fi. My favorite book series are HP and The Wheel of Time. I also waste time idling on IRC.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

Hi Naeblis fellow programmer. Enjoy this geeky place.

davedrowsy

Postby davedrowsy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Dave! I've loved xkcd for years, have read all of the comics. This forum seems like basically the best forum on the interblags, and I've had more free time than usual lately, so I figured I'd finally register and start posting to help keep the Boredom Troll at bay.

I'm a 26 y/o man living in Durham, NC and working in Raleigh, NC. I've basically been in NC my whole life. The Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) is a pretty great place to live. I own a house in Durham with my fiancée (I'm getting married this summer :D ), cat (Steve) and greyhound (Barbara - there she is in my avatar. She loves to smile). We're tentatively considering moving to Portland in a few years.

I'm into music, big time. I got my Bachelor's in Music Composition and Bassoon Performance at UNC-Chapel Hill, I can play all kinds of instruments, and I write songs and compose like a madman. I've played in a bunch of different bands, including (no links, as I'm a n00b... maybe I'll eventually shamelessly self-promote in the Music forum) Antibubbles, the Future Kings of Nowhere, and Devour. Most of the bands I've been in have been at least "punk-spirited," if not strictly punk bands, but I enjoy almost all kinds of music.

I'm just starting to get more into programming. I've been working with HTML and CSS for ages, and took one semester of introductory Java in college, but over the last few months I've been relentlessly teaching myself Python, and working on developing my own music programming language...

anyway, before I ramble on too much, hello! Nice to meet you all.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:52 am UTC

Hi musician programmer with the dog avatar! You are totally right, this is the best forum on the interblags. I am sure you will find people interested in your upcoming music programming language. Hey, would it make composing music more accessible to programmers?

Return to “General”