Fantasy Countries

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

orangedragonfire

Re: Fantasy Countries

Postby orangedragonfire » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

"Do not tempt me; I was given explicit permission by Ulinder to keep you here by force. I am offering you a choice, because I have just found out that apparently I owe you one, but make no mistake that if you continue to talk like that to me, I will not hesitate to make use of the permission. And be assure that your forced stay will not be pleasant. Now, as I was trying to allude to, but you didn't understand, you are no longer here as my clear subordinate, slave and experimental research subject. Instead, you have a choice, and as such are given the opportunity to become my assistant. Or you may leave, of course. My research will continue either way. If you stay, you are expected to act professionally, and not randomly try to insult me. You do not seem proficient in the attempt, and even if you were, you wouldn't like my reaction if you succeeded to make me feel insulted."

Martheus was turned away from the devil throughout this speech, and when he was done, he simply started tinkering with a crystal.

--

"Well, if you come in peace, you are of course welcome here.", the Night Elf said to Gorb, slipping effortlessly into the role of a happy citizen of the benevolent country Cyrris was trying to portray to to outsiders, "There is a ship leaving for the main part of the country soon, and from there a caravan can take you to Htaed, where you can meet the king. But before that, are you tired from your travels? I have various refreshments back at my house, if you are interested."

(we can skip forward till Htaed, if you want. You are only going to meet people who act like this - very friendly, going out of their way to help you, and happy to do so. They're also all just acting the part, but they are really good at it, so it doesn't show)

--

Jim blinked for a few moments, trying to get a lot of thoughts through his currently very slow mind. Eventually, the one that got through was that he needed to get sober, and fast. So he did as all gnomes were trained to do in such situations - he reached for a small sickly green ball in his pocket, and swallowed it. His body convulsed for a few moments, and then the haze flew from his mind, returning him to utter clarity. It would only last for half and hour or so, and then the intoxication would hit him even worse, but until then he should have managed to give this stranger over to somebody else.

Jim avoided actually looking at the stranger, not wanting to find out how much of what he had seen was real and how much was drug-induced.

"If you let me go, I'll make sure you'll get taken to somebody in charge.", he said, his voice quivering slightly.

--

Tystan Sunshower looked over the people gathered before him, and smiled at them.

"I come before you, today, as a stranger.", he said, "But by the time I leave, I hope to be able to address you as my friends. This is a beautiful country with great people, and even now, Cyrris counts itself lucky to just know Tricily. Imagine how much luckier we will count ourselves if we can think of Tricily as our friends, allies and tradepartner; as fellow researchers and companions. That is the kind of result I am hoping to achieve with my visit here, and I have no doubt that it would lead to a brilliant future for both our countries."

It was a short speech, but he felt that it had all the important points.

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:"If you let me go, I'll make sure you'll get taken to somebody in charge.", he said, his voice quivering slightly.

"Now that sounds a lot better. Trust me, I do not intend to hurt anyone if I can avoid it." Nex smiled, but this did not show as her face was still a skull, which are well known for being stuck in an eternal grin. "Why don't you lead the way?" As the gnome leads the way, she lets the Skeletal Horror walk behind them to not trouble him further.

"I wonder, where do you get such an amazing assortment of mushrooms?"
It's Magic. I ain't gonna explain shit.

sco

Postby sco » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

Queen Arasene wrote:Fumus slowly rises from the ground, several cracked bones repairing themselves slowly under his torn robes as he stand to his full height of 7'2". "I cannot recall serving a Neylorn. Why don't you tell me more about him?" He meets the priest's eyes with his own set of sockets preaching a long way that their owner is
1) not afraid of death because he knows a lot more about it than you do
2) slightly doubting you alone will be able to pull it off and
3) very, very dangerous himself.

“An ancient power, dormant, for the moment, and an enemy of our Lord.” If anything the Lich’s look seems to reassure the priest, murderous and with hidden knowledge being about par for the course on Tarus. “Now, if you don’t mind my asking, what brings you to our lovely island?”

Djehutynakht wrote:King Marcus thought for a second. "The East?" he frowned with difficulty for a moment. "The East is a very big place. I'm wondering if you could be a bit more specific? How east? We know of some places beyond our Eastern Border, although I do admit only for so far. A lot of this area, so far as we know, is either deserted or filled with other tribes, some of which we do admit are barbaric or savage. Is this the East you speak of, or is there some place beyond?

As you probably know from the public announcements, the Cyrrian Ambassador is due to arrive tomorrow. I know, for instance, that he comes from a Kingdom to the East. A Kingdom which we hope to establish relations with--even with the wild lands existing in between. Is this the evil land you speak of, or is it even beyond that? And in any case, what can you tell us about Cyrris? I may ask you for information regarding people we are coming into contact with, although if anything pops up on it's own-- a land beyond the sea or foreign tribes or such, be sure to let me know".

“forgive me, it is to the near East that we refer, it is for good reason that these lands are largely deserted. But turning to Cyrus, our presence is but small there, but there is a little that we can tell you. From what we know the Dark Elves are a friendly and open people, their Kings and Queens having been kind and benevolent for many generations. As such their political systems and machinations are simple and unrefined. We do not know much about their foreign policy but it is likely to follow these lines, friendly, open, simple. We hope that your Majesty will use this knowledge in good faith, honouring their trust and honesty, rather than exploiting it but, if it comes to it, their army is long unused and thus neglected. I hope that this information helps but if there is anything else you can think of that you specifically need to know, simply ask and I will see if we can discover it for you.”

orangedragonfire wrote:"Do not tempt me; I was given explicit permission by Ulinder to keep you here by force. I am offering you a choice, because I have just found out that apparently I owe you one, but make no mistake that if you continue to talk like that to me, I will not hesitate to make use of the permission. And be assure that your forced stay will not be pleasant. Now, as I was trying to allude to, but you didn't understand, you are no longer here as my clear subordinate, slave and experimental research subject. Instead, you have a choice, and as such are given the opportunity to become my assistant. Or you may leave, of course. My research will continue either way. If you stay, you are expected to act professionally, and not randomly try to insult me. You do not seem proficient in the attempt, and even if you were, you wouldn't like my reaction if you succeeded to make me feel insulted."

Martheus was turned away from the devil throughout this speech, and when he was done, he simply started tinkering with a crystal.

“Excellent, perhaps now we can get somewhere.” The devil walks around in front of Martheus. “So, what did you do and what do you intend to do about it? I can only assume that you did something to make Lord Ulinder feel that you overreached yourself, devils like me are summoned and used all the time, so he must have been trying to remind you of your place. And, if you’re willing, I may have a suggestion as to a way to both allow me to remain on this plane and increase your own power and standing.”

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

sco wrote:“forgive me, it is to the near East that we refer, it is for good reason that these lands are largely deserted. But turning to Cyrus, our presence is but small there, but there is a little that we can tell you. From what we know the Dark Elves are a friendly and open people, their Kings and Queens having been kind and benevolent for many generations. As such their political systems and machinations are simple and unrefined. We do not know much about their foreign policy but it is likely to follow these lines, friendly, open, simple. We hope that your Majesty will use this knowledge in good faith, honouring their trust and honesty, rather than exploiting it but, if it comes to it, their army is long unused and thus neglected. I hope that this information helps but if there is anything else you can think of that you specifically need to know, simply ask and I will see if we can discover it for you.”

King Marcus thought for a second. Their description of the East did not seem so entirely far off. The barbaric tribes were quite frightful. Was worship of this god part of the reason they were indeed so heinous? No, he decided against it. These followers before him were more sophisticated; cunning. While it's possible, even likely that their god had some brutish, wilder followers, at the same time if he had been present to the East they would surely have heard of him by now. If they had any influence in this land, it had to be recent. He also knew that the entire place wasn't evil; there were a few good villages and tribes, but they were much more rare. With regard to the Cyrrians, this information seemed to match some of the initial report which had been sent ahead to him by the border patrol. At least on the outside, they appeared simple and kind people. Captain Fargrim did, however, include a note that she thought they might be trying to coax information out of the villagers, and so she said she would be further observing. So maybe they weren't completely innocent, but could he blame them? The Ulindians could be helping perpetuate that view, or perhaps they themselves didn't know. Or maybe they really did have no such business and Captain Fargrim had misjudged. Who knew.

"I thank you about your warnings to the East. They will be heeded and we will keep your information in mind when dealing with those lands in the future. As you may or may not be aware, we have already sent expeditionary researchers and explorers in that direction in search of Cyrris. We are currently trying to re-establish contact with them, for hope that the Ambassador can tell us the way. Obviously, with relations being established between the two nations, we are going to have to find a way to travel back and forth; perhaps we will simply find the safest and easiest route, create a trade and travel road and place guards at intervals. I will not fear the East, but I will take what you say into mind and treat it with caution.

With regards to the Cyrrians, you have my thanks for this information. It seems to fit with my initial reports on the Ambassador for the border. I have great hopes for the future relations between our two nations. I look forward to meeting the Ambassador and getting to learn about his country soon enough. Is there anything else you wish to discuss while here?"
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(This continued from the middle of page 4 if anyone wants background information)

"Dear Sasan," Major Casper DuBois, head of the Tricilian Expeditionary Corp exploration to the East whispered under his breath at what he had came upon. The scene before him, a recently charred and partially cleared section of forest, including an abandoned caravan wagon, with a boulter-alter set up in the center, atop of which lay the rotting remains of a sacrifice-- whether beast, human or another higher-intelligence being he was not sure and was not sure he wanted to know-- horrified him. It also alerted him to danger. This seemed to be very much like the stories he'd heard about the Bellusians, a savage, barbaric tribe and sometimes-enemy of Tricily which inhabited this area. One of their dark, sacrificial altars to their demonic war-spirits, he thought. In time the whole expeditionary force had similarly discovered the site and gathered near their leader. Everyone was on the highest alert. Even though the Bellusians were thought to be semi-nomadic and from the site of the body this site looked at least a few days old, nobody wanted to take any chances.

The magicians in the group commented that the area reeked of dark magic, although they weren't quite sure what kind yet. Researchers wanted to study the sight, hoping to get more insight into the Bellusians. Major DuBois, although skeptical, cautiously allowed them. They would have the rest of the day (it was late morning) to study the area, and anyone who wasn't could do other chores or take the afternoon off. He refused to camp anywhere near the site, but said they'd probably set up a little ways away. He also wanted to send people to scout for any nearby Bellusians. If they were anywhere nearby, he wanted to know so they could avoid them and get away fast.

Queen Arasene wrote:Cruor put a hand to his eyes, shading them so he could see more clearly what a show the men on the docks were putting up. It certainly seemed to involve a lot of running around screaming and waving flags in different colors. He assumed rightfully that they must be celebrating a national holiday, until one man came with a large sign saying "DOCK HERE" in albeit somewhat strange letters. Oh, so that's what they want, he thought to himself. Slowly, his turtle turned to the assigned landing place. When he came closer, standing regally on his mount, he could see a number of men running to the dock. Ah, the welcome committee is approaching. As his turtle glided to a stop, he stepped off it onto the pier without missing a beat. A friendly smile crept onto his face as he faced the Admiral, Customs Officer and Chief Engineer Hindelbras.
"Good Day, Gentlemen. To whom do I owe the pleasure?" And Cruor bent into a bow that should be reserved for ballet dancers.

The workers looked at this strange figure, along with their leaders. Well, he may be strange, but at least he was a gentleman. There were a few moments spent sizing up this strange, gangly, almost skeleton like man, taller than most people, dressed in strange robes, with seemingly good manners and riding on a giant turtle which seemed to follow his directions to the letter. He was a sight to behold. The Strait of Quaz was passage for many, many a strange people, but none like him had quite been seen yet.

Hindelbras took the intitiative. He gave his own bow, though less deep than this man. "Good day to you as well sir. You are currently within the Strait of Quaz, the passage of water which connects the larger ocean, from which you have just arrived, to the Plinian Sea, which is the body of water which most largely borders this nation, from which we hail, the Kingdom of Tricily. I offer you my most cordial welcoming to our great Kingdom. My name is Alfred Hindelbras. I am the Chief Engineer and the co-director of a building project which is currently underway around the Strait. My colleagues here are Admiral Horatio Black, who commands the Quazian Fleet which is stationed in this area and Director Gilligan Vexus, who is the Chief Customs Officer for the Strait, processing all men, ships and cargo which pass through these waters. Normally, the Customs Office will simply hail any ships passing through the Strait and send Officers to process them. However, yourself arriving in more... curious circumstances, we felt it appropriate that we meet you ourselves. May I have the good fortune of likewise soliciting an introduction from you?"
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tystan's remarks were met with good fanfare and applause from the crowds in Laurean square. The King thought back to what the Ulindians said about being kind and simple, and he could see at least these intentions within the speech. The following reception likewise contained similar words. Not much of actual substance was said, but a lot of loose, feel-good words such as those, about cooperation and trade and other such things.

In the morning a carriage was sent to fetch Tystan (as well as any he may wish to accompany him) from his hotel and convey him to the Foreign Ministry. Once he was there, he was then conveyed to a meeting room within the chambers of the Minister of Foreign Affairs, a light room with largish windows affording a partial view of the sea in the distance and the Sigurian building down the square. The meeting room contained a dark table of solid heavy wood surrounded by sturdy yet comfortable chairs; an ample place to conduct business. A bowl of fresh fruit graced the center. Several framed maps hung on the walls, varying in their subject matter and their style and accuracy, as well as how much information they had on them (the older, more historical maps tended to be less accurate or misinformed, or portrayed things which no longer were there). Tystan was left there to wait for several minutes, before a door opened on the other side of the room and the Foreign Minister entered and took a seat. She introduced herself formally once again, and Tystan did likewise.

"Well, Ambassador," the Countess said, looking at him. "May I once more welcome you to Tricily. I do hope you enjoyed the ceremony yesterday. Many good things were said, but let us now see if we can in fact accomplish them. I have my own ideas, goals and questions in mind and I'm sure you have your own. Later on the King himself will want to meet and talk with you, as well as, I'll be frank, some subordinates of mine who will want to try and gather as much information about your people and your nation from you as possible--if you have brought knowledgeable people with you in your envoy you may want to pass some of that burden off to them. Eventually, the Senate will want to hear you in regards to their decision-making on what to do with regards to our two nations. But, for the most part, you will be working and dealing with me as the Foreign Minister. With all of this said, why don't you begin?"

A cloaked figure moved through one of the thickly settled neighborhoods of inner Scargo, in a quarter which was known for its sizeable immigrant population. He was dressed down, and his cloak was plain, of a somewhat rough brown material. To a trained eye, however, one could see the family and background from which he came was quite well-off, and he was not used to traversing these narrow streets--getting lost in their mazelike twists and turns and branch-offs. It was dark, night, and the area was quite foggy, making even the streetlamps far less effective in guiding the way. He was searching. He couldn't ask for help on his search--it would give him away. Plus, the nature of those he looked for had quickly become a taboo ever since the night of the murder. He was hoping, somehow, to come into contact with the cult of Ulinder. He wasn't sure if they could be of any use, but it would be worth a shot.

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

sco wrote:“Now, if you don’t mind my asking, what brings you to our lovely island?”

"Curiosity." Fumus answered, working to calm himself inside. "I was sent here to find out what the place has become. So far, I find it moderately enjoyable, if you look aside from the unpredictable waters around your islands, the slightly unfriendly approach to emissaries from far-away countries and the momentary death threats." He made a moderately mocking bow "But it is a pleasure to meet you. For the record, I never said I was an enemy to your lord. Anyway, to whom do I owe the pleasure?"

- - - - -
Djehutynakht wrote:"May I have the good fortune of likewise soliciting an introduction from you?"

A small smile of satisfaction spread on the Lich's face. His arrival had definitely impressed the natives, even amazed them. One day, they might tell a tale of this to their grandchildren. I love making history. And Cruor was impressed. This man, Alfred Hindelbras, spoke like the tomes of learning without a hitch! It was a great feeling to be out in the world again, living and thriving in the glorious sunshine. He had almost forgotten how this felt.
"Of course, I must have forgotten to introduce myself! I was momentarily distracted by my fascination for your ways and the beauty of your lands. Know that I am Cruor, fourth Archmage and High Councillor of Decede, the Lost Country." He swept his tall body into yet another impressively low bow.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

"No, I will not allow you to possess me.", Martheus said off-hand, "I know what it does to a soul. Anyway, the point of the entire research is to find another way to keep you here. As for what happened between me and Ulinder, that is between me and him - and whomever I chose to voice my self-doubts to. Hint: It's not you. Also, it's in the past, so can we please just focus on what's important here?"

--

"First of,", Tystan said with a charming but apologetic smile, "I have to confess that I am new at this; it has been quite a while since Cyrris had contact with another nation, and so I wasn't exactly trained very well. I know I talked big about friendship and cooperation, but frankly I am not entirely certain how that practically should be put into action. That being said, Cyrris hopes for the following things: We want a trade agreement; which would allow traders from Cyrris to come to Tricily, and vice versa. Or at least to set up a trade route between the nations, I suppose we could also set up trading station at our borders if there are any problems with allowing all traders into Tricily. To do that we'd also have arrange for a good road to be built between our two nations; I have travelled the distance, and it is not pleasant the way it is now. Beyond that... well, we would like to establish at least one embassy here in your country, and offer you the possibility of establishing one in our own. Oh, and we'd need some sort of guarantee that any people we send to Tricily are going to be fine... we don't want people to be scared of coming here, after all. I think that's mostly it for now, though more things will likely come up eventually... oh, right, one more thing. Princess Ayrlaine, of the royal family, loves to travel. But she's been around Cyrris already, and we are loath to let her travel outside our borders, since we can't guarantee for her safety there. However, I thought that maybe it could be arranged for her to travel here. People would feel a lot safer with her in Tricily than out in the wilderness, at least."

--

"Oh, I grow them in little jars.", Jim said conversationally, while he quickly led the stranger to the Lift. Lift was the name of the trolls whose Job it was to life people up to the city. There were several of them around the city; the one Jim led them to was mostly used by gnomes and other slaves. There were also Lifts up there whose took people down again.

"Here we are.", Jim said, finding another gnome, "Ah, Bern! Here is a stranger. Take the Lift up to the city with him, and then take him to the capital. I'd do it myself, but I'm gonna be hit by Redrug pretty soon. Lift, take them up."

Bern directed the stranger to stand on the ground next to him. Then he signaled Lift, who used Earth magic to lift the piece of ground Bern and the stranger were standing on. They were rising quite fast, but not fast enough that you got uncomfortable. And the trip up was perfectly smooth. Eventually, they reached the flying city.

"Ah, here we are.", Bern said, "Htaed. Come, I'll take you to the palace."

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:18 am UTC

hey odf just realized that the wood elf link is broken.
I'm baaaaaaaaack! ( <- sort of ironic cause I left for a little bit, but I might be back...)

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.
Believe in a smiling god.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:20 am UTC

hey odf just realized that the wood elf link is broken.
I'm baaaaaaaaack! ( <- sort of ironic cause I left for a little bit, but I might be back...)

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:03 am UTC

Queen Arasene wrote:A small smile of satisfaction spread on the Lich's face. His arrival had definitely impressed the natives, even amazed them. One day, they might tell a tale of this to their grandchildren. I love making history. And Cruor was impressed. This man, Alfred Hindelbras, spoke like the tomes of learning without a hitch! It was a great feeling to be out in the world again, living and thriving in the glorious sunshine. He had almost forgotten how this felt.
"Of course, I must have forgotten to introduce myself! I was momentarily distracted by my fascination for your ways and the beauty of your lands. Know that I am Cruor, fourth Archmage and High Councillor of Decede, the Lost Country." He swept his tall body into yet another impressively low bow.

"Be assured," Hindelbras replied. "The fascination is mutual. It is very rare that the Strait sees such a traveller as articulate and well-mannered as yourself. Most often those who we encounter are traders and seamen, which are by nature rough and coarse in both language and mannerisms. Occasionally we get the occasional pirate trying to sneak through at night, though they rarely stop to converse". He gave a small, short laugh.

Director Vexus spoke up. "Seeing as it is my job as the Customs Director for the Strait, I figure I should get this over with... it serves to further our general conversations and introductions anyways... May I so kindly ask what it is that is your business coming here? From your titles, you sound to be a man of significant standing. Is it our nation, the Kingdom of Tricily, which you mean to visit?"

"And if I can venture as well," Admiral Black put in. "Would you be able to tell us more about this "Lost Country" from which you come? Naturally, with it being lost, we have never quite heard of it before".

"Gentlemen, Gentlemen," Hindelbras replied. "Give the man a moment to draw breath for a reply". Hindelbras himself was usually not very patient, but that was usually with his workers, not with well-mannered and eloquent foreigners. He turned towards Cruor. "If you wish to move to a more comfortable setting before we continue be sure to let us know. Or, if you find it satisfactory to simply continue on here, that would be acceptable as well".

orangedragonfire wrote:"First of,", Tystan said with a charming but apologetic smile, "I have to confess that I am new at this; it has been quite a while since Cyrris had contact with another nation, and so I wasn't exactly trained very well. I know I talked big about friendship and cooperation, but frankly I am not entirely certain how that practically should be put into action. That being said, Cyrris hopes for the following things: We want a trade agreement; which would allow traders from Cyrris to come to Tricily, and vice versa. Or at least to set up a trade route between the nations, I suppose we could also set up trading station at our borders if there are any problems with allowing all traders into Tricily. To do that we'd also have arrange for a good road to be built between our two nations; I have travelled the distance, and it is not pleasant the way it is now. Beyond that... well, we would like to establish at least one embassy here in your country, and offer you the possibility of establishing one in our own. Oh, and we'd need some sort of guarantee that any people we send to Tricily are going to be fine... we don't want people to be scared of coming here, after all. I think that's mostly it for now, though more things will likely come up eventually... oh, right, one more thing. Princess Ayrlaine, of the royal family, loves to travel. But she's been around Cyrris already, and we are loath to let her travel outside our borders, since we can't guarantee for her safety there. However, I thought that maybe it could be arranged for her to travel here. People would feel a lot safer with her in Tricily than out in the wilderness, at least."

Minerva gave her own small smile in reply to the Ambassador. "I shall confess myself that my experience with the handling of largescale foreign policy is not as refined as I should hope it to be. Tricily, likewise, does not have much contact with large organized Kingdoms such as Cyrris. My main work until now has largely included interaction with smaller tribes and principalities around our borders or from which foreign traders hail--I've spent probably more time than I should collaborating with the Minister of Trade--he will probably want to talk to you as well at some point or another. I've been meaning to suggest to him that we set up a joint Bureau of Foreign Trade under our two Ministries, and now I finally think that I have reason to push the issue on him. Anyways, we likewise have spoken about such lofty goals and ideals, and I suppose it will be up to us both jointly to put in place measures to aspire to achieiving them.

A trade agreement is something which I feel is mutually desired by both of our sides, and so I believe there shall be no problem in securing one between us. Obviously, in setting up such trade, it will be necessary, as you've mentioned to set up at least one, if not multiple trade routes. These will all be on land, I imagine, as I do not believe we border the same sea--although if we do eventually find ways for such trade to be conducted by water we would not be adverse to allowing this as well. The land between our nations, so far as I know, is for the large majority wild, and in parts threatened by barbaric and savage tribes. Therefore it would probably be in both of our best interests to construct these roadways in areas we can determine to be relatively safe and easily traversed, and possibly work out a way to assure that they are guarded from such threats as well as highwaymen.

With regards to allowing Cyrrians into Tricily, be it for trade or otherwise, I do not currently see any issue with that. We do have border agents and customs officials, as you have seen, who work to regulate the exit and entry of people from the nation, and, especially with travel through the trade routes, this should not be a problem. We have experience with foreign traders moving through our nation already, and as such the addition of more should not be a problem. Historically, while many do actually enter into Tricily, travelling to places such as here in the capital to conduct their business, many simply stop in the towns on the border through which the main trade routes run, which have developed into trade hubs and outposts as a result of the commerce. For the large part however, none currently exist around the Eastern border through which you entered, as a result of aforementioned wild conditions. While I'm sure that they will pop up there just as they have elsewhere with the onset of trade, it will probably also be convenient for traders to travel into the country as well. While here, your people can expect to recieve the protection of our laws; if acting unlawful they will be punished accordingly, and likewise, if victimized themselves they will be protected under the law. I would like to request likewise with regards to Tricilians who wish to travel and trade with Cyrris.

An Embassy is something which we would look favorably on in order to keep communications between our two Kingdoms efficient. My Ministry will work with you to set up an embassy here in Scargo; making sure that it is workable as a contact point for your citizens in Tricily as well as a communications point with our government and finding you a suitable location to either purchase or, if it is more your preference, to construct. Later on if you feel that you would also do well with consulates in other towns or cities with a sizeable Cyrrian interaction, we can work to help accomplish this as well. Likewise, it is my hope that we shall be allowed the same in your nation.

As for your own princess, I believe I speak for the nation in saying that we would be charmed and honored to be graced with her majesty's presence in our Kingdom. This is one of the measures which I suggest you personally take up with the King himself and, in the likely event that he agrees, I will be more than happy to work with you to establish plans for her visit.

If there is one more thing I may bring up, which is slightly more direct but yet still pertaining to our earlier points, I would like to mention our recent Expedition to the East; as you have just travelled from your country west to find us, likewise, not very long ago, we sent out an expedition of our own heading east to find you. Our Border Patrol guards tell us that you say you did not come across them, and, since you have reached us first, we have been working on locating and contacting them every since we learned of your arrival at our borders. I was wondering if your entourage would be willing to work with us in order to establish quite how to get from Tricily to Cyrris, and vice versa. Obviously, we will be needing to scout out several routes for the future trade roads anyways, but for the time being, having reached us I'm sure you know of at least one way, recording it for your way home. Being able to convey such a message to our expedition once we locate them, providing they have not already reached Cyrris, would prove useful and beneficial for their own safety".

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

-Earlier that day- (I'll save the tour for when I get back home))

Emperor Montizech sat in his office with a cup of coffee, across from him Minister of Military Harol Urist the dwarf, recently appointed minister of Arcane Evelyn the Feheron, Captain Phincho the Terrinech, and one of his engineers, Savino Durech. His desk was covered with stacks of reports, a result of a busier than normal day, with things he couldn't simply pass on to the the beaurocracy of ministers to handle in their own time. Some decisions had to be made quickly, and as the Emperor, he was the one to have to make them.

"Lets keep this brief, I have a few items that need to be dealt with before we meet with the Tarus emissaries, and I would like them done properly. First order of business, is the Leaszin assault. Captain Phincho, your reports said that half of the stationed fleet has been disabled."
"yes, your majesty. The enemy also reportedly used gunpowder weapons, and a new, fire weapon, which burned hotter with water."
"Interesting, yet alarming. Half of our fleet was stationed there, and even with our Ocelots, we are ill equipped for a naval counter assault, especially into a sea of liquid fire. Minister Harol, I trust your defenses are strong at the border passes?"
"We have a fair number of defensive forts, although we are still under manned. I will send some reserves to fortify the passes, though I urge caution, as we do not know their land capabilities."
Montizech nodded. "Hold off a counter, I agree. They are as fortified as us, and until we hqve a solution for moving our rail guns offensively, it is suicide." he guestured at Savino.
"If you had some mages on your ships, it would gkve them a way to quicky protect them from some harm." The Feheron spoke up.
"What good your mages did against our guns" The dwarf grumbled.
"They did very much good. Much of your cannon fire was deflected, and even seasoned dwarves run in fear from a fire storm."
"Enough." Montizech was frustrated by the bitter rivalry he saw build over the past week since Evelyn became a minister. "You would do well to have pairs of mages, every other ship and fort if possible. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Now, Sagino, tell them what you have been working on."
"Well, you see, we have been working with balloons and steam, and we are drawing up plans for a balloon ship of sorts, big enough to lift a cannon. We expect it to take several months to a couple of years before they are of military grade, but we plan on a lighter version, a prototype, to be ready in a matter of weeks for the Emperor's plan for exploration."
Emperor Montizech looked at Captain Phincho. "You have a gift for negotiation and diplomacy. I am promoting you to captain emissary, and you will be trained in diplomatic dealings until our first airship is built, and you will captain it, to expore new lands in the name of the Natechi Emperor."
"I beg your pardon, my Emperor, but what is wrong with my present ship?"
"I'm sure you are aware that our navy, mighty as it is, is not built for high seas navigation. Granted, we have been testing navigation mechanisms where we could, but the future is in the sky, the high ground, where no fire can reach us. Its not like the Leaszin have wings, after all."
The dwarf grunted in slight disdain as the captain was dismissed. He had always found it a little unfair that the Terrinech could fly, while he had to make to with the steam-powered gondolas and elevators.
"And now that that is settled, what are your opinions on our guests?"
"They are evil" chanted Evelyn.
"They are demons" spoke Harol.
"Aside from the obvious, please. They are not powerful, merely diplomats of sorts. If they become unruly, Evelyn, or any of our guard, could beat them with ease, and they are fading by the day. If a real threat occurs, turning our people against them is simplicity. I am referring to what we will negotiate about."
"Well, we will want to understand their magic, how it works, and how to counter it."
"As well, we will want to learn.who they know, and what exotic luxuries they may trade us. We can trade trinkets of our own. I would advise against giving them things they can use against us."
"Then any knowledge deals should be slow and incremental, so one side can leave if the other is unhappy with things. Steam and clockworks cannot forever be hidden, but we need not make them modern, and even then we need not give them military or state secrets, but help them understand our civilian steam engines, even perhaps let our civilians teach them for their own profits, unless they are ahead of us... That is a thought. If it turns out they are more advanced than us, what then?"
"If they are more advanced than us, we should tread carefully, and try to learn their secrets, and weaknesses. I would sleep better at night worrying only about the Leaszin and the Turks."
"I am still wary of the dealings of demons. They will try and convince you to trades of their benefits, to try and destroy us from the inside. Or perhaps they are of Leaszin league, and are another one of their tricks. Their timing appears less than coincidental."
"Nonsense, not even the Leaszin would deal with demons."
"Their weapons say otherwise. Liquid fire? That shouts more of dishonour and sly tongue magic. You think too highly of your dwarven kin."
"Enough. We will deal with them, but at the first sign of deception, we will take action. Agreed?"
"Fine."
"Very well."
"Good. You know your works, we will meet in four hours. Dismissed.

------
--- at the diplomacy discussion
"My apologies, I was unaware of a distinction, and I will keep that distinction in mind for the future. You speak of a knowledge trade. If we were to do so, I think an incremental exchange would be in order, in case one of us is dissatisfied and wishes to back out. Of course, before we do any such trade, it may be prudent to know exactly what knowledge we are buying, along with any dangers associated with it, not that the steam engine or mechanics aren't dangerous themselves, but we at least know those risks and how to go about keeping our men as safe as possible should a boiler explode. So I would suggest that our first knowledge trade be a trade of precautions and fundamentals, and we build from there."

--- On the Leaszin ship
The queen pondered her choice for a minute, but when she came to a decision, she was resolute in her words. "I must decline your offer. A ship is a small price, and if you seek to learn from it, I suspect you may destroy it by accident. Giving you prisoners is dishonourable, but as long as they were not of dwarven kin, I may live with it. However, if you say you are not a demon, but can summon them... I am wary of demons. Even if dealing with demons was not discouraged by our gods, we have many legends of their indiscriminate wrath, and I fear summoning such a creature could be as much a threat to us as to them. Unless... Could you summon demons inside of their cities and fortifications?"

sco

Postby sco » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote: With regards to the Cyrrians, you have my thanks for this information. It seems to fit with my initial reports on the Ambassador for the border. I have great hopes for the future relations between our two nations. I look forward to meeting the Ambassador and getting to learn about his country soon enough. Is there anything else you wish to discuss while here?"

“That is all, for now, unless your majesty requests more of us?” Once dismissed the cultist leaves, with all the appropriate forms and ritual. Later that day the Cult of Ulinder has registered with the Ministry of Religious affairs, legitimising themselves somewhat. The next day, during the celebration, the cults members join in the celebrations like any other citizens, showing no signs of adverse activity and subtly ensuring that they were regularly in sight of guards and patrolmen. Their works in the community continue, their shelters reaching out more and more to the poor and downtrodden in the community. Some members of the inner-circle even begin making a concerted effort to learn about the more widely practiced Tricilian religions especially, but not limited to, the sects to which the King belongs.

Djehutynakht wrote: A cloaked figure moved through one of the thickly settled neighborhoods of inner Scargo, in a quarter which was known for its sizeable immigrant population. He was dressed down, and his cloak was plain, of a somewhat rough brown material. To a trained eye, however, one could see the family and background from which he came was quite well-off, and he was not used to traversing these narrow streets--getting lost in their mazelike twists and turns and branch-offs. It was dark, night, and the area was quite foggy, making even the streetlamps far less effective in guiding the way. He was searching. He couldn't ask for help on his search--it would give him away. Plus, the nature of those he looked for had quickly become a taboo ever since the night of the murder. He was hoping, somehow, to come into contact with the cult of Ulinder. He wasn't sure if they could be of any use, but it would be worth a shot.

(If you had an idea for how you wanted him to find us then that’s alright but I figured you posted this because you wanted us to find him.) From the steps of one of their shelters a Ulinder cultist steps down into the street, his holy symbol visible on a chain around his neck. “You seem lost, my brother. Come inside, and perhaps we can help you to find your way.” He gestures the man inside with a friendly and welcoming smile.

Queen Arasene wrote: "Curiosity." Fumus answered, working to calm himself inside. "I was sent here to find out what the place has become. So far, I find it moderately enjoyable, if you look aside from the unpredictable waters around your islands, the slightly unfriendly approach to emissaries from far-away countries and the momentary death threats." He made a moderately mocking bow "But it is a pleasure to meet you. For the record, I never said I was an enemy to your lord. Anyway, to whom do I owe the pleasure?"

The priest returns the bow, “forgive me, our Lord’s enemy once commanded many undead and it has been some time since any emissaries have graced our shores, let alone a Lich such as yourself. My name is Caden, the eviscerater. The waters, I’m afraid are an occupational hazard I’m afraid, although they do tend to discourage unwelcome visitors. Obligatory death threats aside, I would like to welcome you to Tarus in the name of the great and powerful Lord Ulinder. May I ask who it is that I address?”

orangedragonfire wrote:"No, I will not allow you to possess me.", Martheus said off-hand, "I know what it does to a soul. Anyway, the point of the entire research is to find another way to keep you here. As for what happened between me and Ulinder, that is between me and him - and whomever I chose to voice my self-doubts to. Hint: It's not you. Also, it's in the past, so can we please just focus on what's important here?"

The devil shakes his head and half mutters to himself, “possession, such a loaded term, ahh well.” Speaking again to Martheus, “Certainly we can, what exactly do you propose for our next move?”

Vieto wrote:--- at the diplomacy discussion
"My apologies, I was unaware of a distinction, and I will keep that distinction in mind for the future. You speak of a knowledge trade. If we were to do so, I think an incremental exchange would be in order, in case one of us is dissatisfied and wishes to back out. Of course, before we do any such trade, it may be prudent to know exactly what knowledge we are buying, along with any dangers associated with it, not that the steam engine or mechanics aren't dangerous themselves, but we at least know those risks and how to go about keeping our men as safe as possible should a boiler explode. So I would suggest that our first knowledge trade be a trade of precautions and fundamentals, and we build from there."

“As we said, the major source of our power is magical, and several forms of magic are practiced on Tarus. Neither of us are great scholars of magic but, as we understand it the major types of magic, and the risks associated with them are as follows: there is necromancy, which is primarily dangerous because of those who use it, like any power it can be used well or irresponsibly. It does carry the risk that some of the products of this magic continue to function once the mage has fallen or ceased his control, sometime leading to them becoming unstable. There is what we know as shadow magic, which utilises the power of a sub-plane, a kind of shadow of this plane which brushes the lower plane. This allows for subtle shiftings of reality but is somewhat difficult to control and, if they overreach their ability, practitioners can find themselves drawn into and trapped in this shadow realm. Finally there is what is known as primal, or blood magic. This is done by offering up blood, the very essence of life, to invoke great power. It can be done using the sacrifice of lives, which has given this type of magic a poor reputation, but many of its more civilised practitioners prefer to offer their own blood, and this is obviously the method that we would prefer to teach you, as the death of any is regrettable at best and a despicable monstrosity at worst. Some of the dangers of this kind of magic are obvious, the great potential for power often tempting the less strong willed practitioners into the darker, sacrificial side and that overusing the cleaner side of the art to too great an extent can lead to the mages own death. Beyond these types of magic are those of the demons and of devils such as ourselves, which cannot be learned by the races of this plane as far as we are aware but can be employed, once a deal is struck. Devils, given the correct rituals and offerings, must fulfil any deal that they agree to, but the power of the demons, while often greater, is wild and incredibly difficult to control. This means that they are dangerous to friend and foe alike, as they do not really see a distinction between the two. Their power must therefore be used with only the most extreme caution, and the most powerful binding spell, and even then it may not be enough to prevent disaster. But you must forgive me, for I seem to have let my tongue run away with me. We would be most intrigued to know what dangers we may face with your technology, should this trade be approved.”

Vieto wrote:--- On the Leaszin ship
The queen pondered her choice for a minute, but when she came to a decision, she was resolute in her words. "I must decline your offer. A ship is a small price, and if you seek to learn from it, I suspect you may destroy it by accident. Giving you prisoners is dishonourable, but as long as they were not of dwarven kin, I may live with it. However, if you say you are not a demon, but can summon them... I am wary of demons. Even if dealing with demons was not discouraged by our gods, we have many legends of their indiscriminate wrath, and I fear summoning such a creature could be as much a threat to us as to them. Unless... Could you summon demons inside of their cities and fortifications?"

The devil smiled, “their walls and fortifications do not exist in the lower planes, and while greater distance requires greater power there is no reason that you would be unable to obtain such power, provided that you have the stomach for it. There were once powerful wards designed to prevent such things but it has been long since they have been invoked. And if you simply do not wish to invoke demons then my brethren should more than suffice, if that would make you a little more comfortable.” ((so I take it that since the change of races the Laeszin are all dwarves, is that correct?))

MilitaryGradeCustard wrote: Epirermus raises he great bulk from his throne and bends down the the same height as the devil. "The essence of my world is balance and truth in all things, if a LORD of the lower planes wishes speak with me it would be my honor to take council with him, but he must do so on truly equal ground. If Lord Ulinder wishes speak with me he best remember that while i did not betray him like the scum who though the lower scales our of balance he should remember that i am not his dog. Though i do wish to see the scales of our beloved pit restored to balance, But until then he is but a Lord and must maintain what balance we have left.'

“I believe that my lord simply meant to offer an invitation to your lordship but if you do not wish to meet at my Lord’s palace then perhaps you have a more neutral location that you would prefer? My lord warned me that some may not wish to enter his halls, although most, not your Lordship of course, for fear of retribution for their parts in the Great Betrayal. He would suggest a meeting at the base of the Mountain of the Long Shadow, where the radiance of the Field of Light would make it dangerous for any Prince of Darkness to exercise his power.” ((the field of light is a place where the forces of light once broke through and entered the lower planes, cleansing and blessing a section of hell. This blessing was so close to the end of the war that spelled Ulinder’s downfall in the natural plane and immediately before the Great Betrayal and, as such, there was none that could control and coordinate the demon princes in an effort to ‘cleanse’ the area of the light. Instead, a great ‘mountain’ was raised before the Field of Light, preventing the light from spreading throughout the realm, casting it’s ‘shadow’ across the whole of the lower realms. Hence, the Mountain of the Long Shadow. The relative fragility of this infernal band-aid and the radiant power of the field of light would make a great conflict between demon princes anywhere near it almost certain to fracture this protection and, being petty, a dying demon prince would likely pull the mountain down in order to take his foe with him. This threat is how Ulinder survived the Great Betrayal, by threatening the destruction of his own realm if he was killed.))

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

"I have traveled a long way to meet and hopefully befriend you. Although it strikes me that this may not be the entirely appropriate time, what with your castle in ruins and a number of injured spread out around the remains. Allow me to offer any help I can, before we discuss such trivial matters as politics."

*after Umbra, King Tip, Tipper, and Sherri finished looking for and mending survivors, them and the New Willvillean Court meet in the meeting building.*

"Decede? Interesting." King Tip was very intrigued with this newcomer. He loved doing politics. "I sent one of my explorers that way, but right now he is in Cyrris, according to my latest reports. I'm glad you got here first." He wanted to know every little thing about decede.

my friend is filling out his form, his should be up fairly soon.

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

SkypeMeDude

Postby SkypeMeDude » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

Player: Prime Minister Skype
Nickname: Skype
Time zone: GMT
Anything else: Nope ;)

Country
Name: Brell Town
Race(s): Leprachauns, the rarest are ones that actually have Gold!
Capital City: Locust City. It is very cold here but occasionally warm.
Flag: http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3212/imagexqqv.jpg
Government: Republic with a Prime Minister. 12 Council members.
Population: 1,984,589
Religion: Partly like Catholic but there are a council of Gods
Technology: Minor use of mechanics and Hydraulics.
Magic: Time change, shapeshifting and automatic formation of any object... only members granted by Prime Minister Skype are allowed to use it.
History: Our first mates were from Great Britain, they helped us build our country. Our next mates were from New Willville, and they helped us fight a lot.
Location: http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/3124/fantasy3xt.png
Geography:Tons of mountains but mostly lush forests. But the capitol is all based on a hill with many trees.
Anything else: KingTip is my ally.
Last edited by SkypeMeDude on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:10 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

found this picture and thought that it might give a good sense of what Sherri looks like:
http://wallpaperscraft.com/image/girl_w ... 40x960.jpg

and a rough version of King Tip:
http://operaclub.files.wordpress.com/20 ... f_king.jpg

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

SkypeMeDude

Postby SkypeMeDude » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

Race
Appearance: Male: http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/6034/imagewtd.jpg Female: http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/2687/imagezdah.jpg Warriors: http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/5697/imagepned.jpg
Advantages: Really Smart
Disadvantages: They're really short
Magic: Only people granted access to it by Prime Minister Skype.
Lifecycle: 3 genders, male, female and warrior. Same way humans get pregnant.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

Welcome Skype. Quite an interesting map we're developing....

sco wrote:“That is all, for now, unless your majesty requests more of us?” Once dismissed the cultist leaves, with all the appropriate forms and ritual. Later that day the Cult of Ulinder has registered with the Ministry of Religious affairs, legitimising themselves somewhat. The next day, during the celebration, the cults members join in the celebrations like any other citizens, showing no signs of adverse activity and subtly ensuring that they were regularly in sight of guards and patrolmen. Their works in the community continue, their shelters reaching out more and more to the poor and downtrodden in the community. Some members of the inner-circle even begin making a concerted effort to learn about the more widely practiced Tricilian religions especially, but not limited to, the sects to which the King belongs.

"No," King Marcus replied. "That should be all for now. My thanks for your insights. When you should register with the Ministry of Religious Affairs, that should give me the ample information to contact you once more, should I require it. More than likely a subordinate of mine may deal with you, as I am often very busy. Your actions shall not be forgotten. May you both have a pleasant afternoon".

Not very long after the two cultists had left the grounds of the residence, Julius Ulmati showed himself into the throne room. He was slightly annoyed; coughing up a folded piece of paper in the middle of a planning meeting about the security measures for tomorrow's festivities was neither a flattering nor pleasant experience; he now knew why Djinn only used gatric communication when a better option wasn't available.

"Julius!" Marcus greeted him warmly, hoping to disspell any hard feelings about the obvious unpleasantness. His wife made it a tradition every year on Mischief Day to send him something horrible through gastric communication. Personally, he was astounded that she herself could manage to swallow everything she sent to him; she appeared very delicate on the outside. Ulmati, on the otherhand, was serious and often scowling to the core, and now was no different.

"You summoned me?" Ulmati responded. "I assume there was some interesting development in your meeting with the cultists? Something you wish to inform me about, or need me to handle?"

Marcus then explained everything which had transpired through the meeting to Ulmati; their offers of information, how he thought that they might as well try to get as much as they could from them while they investigated, and how he thought that it might even help with their investigations.

"The spy game is a tricky business," Ulmati replied. "And you're concocting a very intricate web, my lord".

"Well it's more than just sending agents disguised as the downtrodden to stay in their shelters," the King replied.

"Hey, those agents are collecting good infomation. Granted, it's not much. In their shelters they act like regular humanitarians, with of course the added religious aspect of preaching the word of Ulinder to those they give soup to. In that aspect, at least, we're getting to know what their public word is; although the clear disadvantage is that we obviously can't write any of it down".

"How are people recieving it?" Marcus asked.

"Oh, so much the same as with any other religious charity," Ulmati replied. "They'll tolerate so long as they are fed. Some listen; many don't. It's not as if they're instilling mass hysteria on the population. At the moment, at least in the soup kitchens, they seem to be expanding just as any other sect".

"Speaking of other religions," Marcus asked. "Do you have any idea as to the reaction of the Cult of Shadows?"

Ulmati frowned. He detested the suggestion that just because the Cult of Shadows was oriented towards more dark and shadowy forces that they were more susceptible than others. But he could see the King's point... somewhat. "I have no idea," he replied. "I wouldn't suspect anyone who would be a serious member to deflect, but I do not keep track of them all. I'll have to ask my brother, but I doubt it".

"So," Marcus brought up after a moment of silence. "What do you think regarding my meeting? What do you suggest we do?"

Ulmati thought for a moment. "Well, it is possible that we will be able to use them for information and as a result they may become useful. Additionally, I will see what I can do about further learning about them through our newfound connection, in addition to our normal plans of infiltration. Their registering with the MoRA should be of some use... it will provide us with their numbers and locations, possibly even members and such-- officially, at least. Their High Priest hasn't yet publically shown himself to my knowledge so I have my doubts that he will actually register. Assigning them a liason may work... I can have an agent of mine work undercover as a MoRA official who is reporting jointly to the Royal Offices. And, not to forget, I will send someone to inspect that... horse that they sent you".

"As always," Marcus replies. "You seem to have everything under control. I wish you luck".

sco wrote:“(If you had an idea for how you wanted him to find us then that’s alright but I figured you posted this because you wanted us to find him.) From the steps of one of their shelters a Ulinder cultist steps down into the street, his holy symbol visible on a chain around his neck. “You seem lost, my brother. Come inside, and perhaps we can help you to find your way.” He gestures the man inside with a friendly and welcoming smile.

(Well either he would have found you or you him. Either way works. By the way, as I mentioned infiltrators in the segment above I'll just clarify now that this new figure is in fact not an infiltrator).

The man follows him uneasily into the building. The Ulindian gestures him into an alcove right inside the doorway, sensing the man has something to say to him. Once inside, the man pulls down the hood to his cloak. The cultists can now see that he is not quite an older man; in fact he was quite young. Some might even better describe him as a youth. He had fair, with somewhat pale, even if now flushed, skin. His hair was golden and he had green eyes which, even though they now showed some worry and doubt, sparked with determination and, perhaps, ill-intent. The cultist recognizeed this. Ambition. He could see under the cloak the youth was fairly well dressed, and wondered what such a person was doing there.

"How may I be of assistance to you, my friend?" the cultist asks. "The Brothers and Sisters of Ulinder are always happy to help those who are in need of it".

The youth was quiey for a moment, but then he spoke up, in an unsure and inexperienced voice, yet with an attempt to be forceful and determined. "I wish to speak to your leader," he said, looking the man in the eye. For a second they flashed.

"And who should I say is making such a request?" the cultist asked, somewhat taken aback by this request. Nobody got to see their leader; at least, no outsider had ever been afforded this privledge before.

The youth took a breath before reestablishing his stare at the cultist and replying. "My name is Lord Lucas Severus Cadivia, of the House of Alger. I would like to speak with the leader of your people. I have an offer which I believe he will find very enticing, and, I suspect, very beneficial to your goals".

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

Welcome, Skype. Your country looks fine, though the descriptions are a little short. However, you do need to describe what kind of magic you have, not just who is allowed to use it. As for your technology, that should be fine, as long as you use mechanics or hydraulics; and no electronics.

I'm also not sure about a billion people for your country... but we haven't really talked about what is normal for a country to have. So let's do that now. To all players: what would you say should be a normal population in this game? I'd say a million is a normal population; with up to ten times that for large populations, and less for small populations.

--

Expansions are being done, since introductions are pretty much over, and I need to update the map for Skype anyway. So, the expansions I know about are:
Cyrris expands to the north-west, along the coast
Turkerya expands its colonies
Tarus takes island to north-west
If there are any I have missing, please tell me.

--

"Oh, I'm sure we can find a fool willing to be possessed by you eventually, if that is important to you; but for now we have more important things to do. You did manage to possess the crystal, which leaves two steps. We'll need to allow you to move outside the crystal while still drawing power from it, and we'll need to get a power source for the crystal, so it doesn't run out. I'll work on the first, and you on the second. For that, it actually is useful that you are now working with me willingly, because you'll need to return to the lower planes, and establish an access point at one of the lower leylines. Without a willing agent there, it might have taken me ages to fine those down there, since I can't really go myself and would have been poking around blindly. Here."

Martheus handed the devil a clear white crystal contraption inset with smaller, black, green and red crystals.

"This is linked to a device I'll keep here. The magic will be from both will be distributed equally among them. Which means that lower magic will flow from there to here, where we can use it. But be careful, this wasn't easy to make. So, find a leyline in the lower planes, and place it there. Then return to me. You can return to me, right? If not, we'll wait with this until I figure out a way to get you specifically back; I only know how generally to summon devils."

--

"Well, it seems that we pretty much want to same things.", Tystan said, "That certainly makes this easier. We'll only have to work out details, instead of discussing general points. Now, we could of course work out the details of the point we both agree on ourselves... or we could leave some that work to others. The tradeagreement, for example, is surely better arranged by traders. Other points... your people will be allowed into Cyrris, under our laws of course, both protection and persecution if they do something wrong. The embassy of Tricily in Htaed can be built by us if you want; otherwise a suitable area will be selected, and you can get your own builders there to build it. As for your expedition, I am sad to say that they had not reached Cyrris last time I spoke to the palace, which was two days ago... they might still be on their way, but as you said, the wilderness between our lands is dangerous. If you have lost contact with them, they might not be back. After all, if they were alive, they surely would have reported in already. But of course we will share our maps of our journey; they will be needed anyway to decide where to build a road between our countries."

--

Solarys smiled. It was time; the other kids finally were moving to test where she stood. From the start she had of course been considered a pawn of Lightbringer, since that was how she got into the class in the first place, due to Nirian Lightbringer. But, since then, she had been careful not even to mention their name. She had made her own accomplishments, doing fairly well in class. And now they were testing whether she was her own person to fight with, or a pawn of Lightbringer, to leave alone.

"Hey, you there, new girl!"

Solarys turned, still smiling. They were outside the classroom, no adults in sight. There were about ten of them, and one of her.

"Yes?", she asked sweetly.

"What are you doing in our class?", the ringleader asked bluntly.

Solarys surprised. "Why, learning, of course. You should try it some time, it's really quite interesting."

"Why I mean", the boy said, "Is that you're a nobody. I checked, there are no famous Shadowborn. I, on the other hand, come from the prestigious family of Nightshadow. So why should I have to share a class with the likes of you?"

"Ah, I see the source of your confusion.", Solarys said lightly, "See, I am awesome in my own right, and so I don't have to hide behind the name of my family and substitute their accomplishments for my own."

"You... sneaky... I do not hide behind my family!"

"Oh really.", Solarys said with a predatory smile, smoothly moving to the offensive, "Then tell me what you do to earn your place at this school?"

"I... nothing? We just get our places here. You don't have to earn them."

"Oh, on the contrary.", Solarys said, enjoying herself, "You got your place because you are from a powerful family. I, on the other hand, am working for my place here. I am a teacher, you see, and need to know the things I am going to teach. That's why I need this place here, and why I have actually earned it. As opposed to you, who are just munching off your family's fame and riches, and haven't done a thing on your own."

That was a straw too much, as Solarys had expected it would be. The boy - she was quite sure his name was Ferithio - jumped at her, ready to fight. He had no skill, she could see that much. While Solarys was no expert at hand-to-hand combat, she had been in several streetfights, and knew how to handle pain, and how to hit back. But, for now, she needed to show that she could beat them with words alone. A display of her physical strength would have to wait until later.

She let him hit her, and slammed against the wall. But instead of crying in pain, like he probably expected, she laughed.

"Really?", she asked, "Physical violence? That's the best you can come up with? Why, and here I had thought you above the level of a troll. Maybe I was wrong."

She watched him become red with anger. She saw how badly he wanted to hit her, but he couldn't - or he'd prove her right. Eventually, he just stormed off. Solarys had no fear that he'd tell his family - he couldn't do that either, for it too would prove her accusations right. She had caught him, with words alone. Solarys stood up, nodded to the children, and went to class as if nothing had happened. But everybody knew that everything had changed - Solarys had made it clear that she was not hiding behind anybody else, but standing on her own; but she had also made it clear that she was no pushover. The battle for control of the class had begun.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:54 am UTC

skype told me he meant to put 1 million not a billion

edit: New Willville also expands a little to south towards the lake

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:07 am UTC

Gorb was entering the castle. What a wonderful and beautiful nation Cyrris is. The sheilds that hung on the wall were from the greatest crusades, very nice. His ride here had been quite nice too, they treated him like a nice elf would treat a slug, which would be very nicely. He couldn't wait to meet the King. The rumor on the boat was that he was a very wise and grateful king. Gorb thought that Cyrris might be the easiest country to befriend.

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

MilitaryGradeCustard

Postby MilitaryGradeCustard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:23 am UTC

Odd question but could people tell me what kind of birds and other flying animals they have in there countries? this is for the purpose of message delivering. The favoured method of a nover operative is to infect a bird with a slow acting plauge that will slowely corrupt its nervous system but giving it enough conciousess to fly in pretty much a strait line and then die at its destination. so infect a bird, strap the message to its leg. it flys up to the recipiant or into ther chmbers. and drops dead. They do this as the nover themselves cannot jepordise there position of secrecy.

MilitaryGradeCustard

Postby MilitaryGradeCustard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:44 am UTC

The High Preist Shudders under his shrouded robe as he sits huntched upon his dais carved from the living rock of the island. His ancheint head turns twords the attending priests. A thin rasping voice, both a wisper and yet able to fill the entire room escaped his narrowly open lips. 'An old scale grows heavy, those who came before are returning, the balance shall falter, you have work to do my subjects. That which eats flesh from the bone and take bone from the marrow must be brewed and concocted. before it is to late. BEGIN AT ONCE!'

The Collation begins work on a new plauges:

-Flesh eater: rotting plauge, contact dispersal. think fast acting leprosy in a bottle.
-Marrow death: Slow acting can only be infected via direct contact into the marrow (so not just touching the bone or skin) Slowly acts weakinignign the b=]marrow making the bones incredibly brittle.

The High Priest slumped down. it was an effort to channel the great epidermis but he still had another message from his lord to deliver. Slowly he lifted his weight from the podium and slinked away through the great doors into the library. sifting his way between the jars and vials he came to a small door in the back of the library. before he could raise his hand to knock another was rested gently on his shoulder. 'What is it our mutual father wishes high priest?' the black rats silky voice flowed into his ears. 'He fears an old foe returs. something that will disturb our precious balance, the eternal army rises.' The hand withdrew in shock. 'We only know of the terror of this force by Epidermusus words alone but for our great father to be this scared, they must be stopped, go now and begin your search for where, when and how they will rise. Head now to Decede, they are not the ones my lord fears but might well have clues hidden there.'

The Black rat departs for Decede, has a basic plauge kit on him so

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:58 am UTC

this one looks a lot more like King Tip than the last one:
http://th02.deviantart.net/fs41/200H/f/ ... ina_CD.jpg

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:20 am UTC

MilitaryGradeCustard wrote:Odd question but could people tell me what kind of birds and other flying animals they have in there countries? this is for the purpose of message delivering. The favoured method of a nover operative is to infect a bird with a slow acting plauge that will slowely corrupt its nervous system but giving it enough conciousess to fly in pretty much a strait line and then die at its destination. so infect a bird, strap the message to its leg. it flys up to the recipiant or into ther chmbers. and drops dead. They do this as the nover themselves cannot jepordise there position of secrecy.

Um... Bats, gulls, eagles, hawks, falcons, Terrinech, flying foxes, vampire bats, fruit bats, herons, swallows, feathered snakes, humming birds, all sorts of migratory birds, crows, pidgeons, parrots... All sorts of birds. Also, terror birds, kiwis, chickens, and small dinosaurs, but they don't fly, and none have been domesticated as work creatures.

sco wrote:
Vieto wrote:--- at the diplomacy discussion

“As we said, the major source of our power is magical, and several forms of magic are practiced on Tarus. Neither of us are great scholars of magic but, as we understand it the major types of magic, and the risks associated with them are as follows: there is necromancy, which is primarily dangerous because of those who use it, like any power it can be used well or irresponsibly. It does carry the risk that some of the products of this magic continue to function once the mage has fallen or ceased his control, sometime leading to them becoming unstable. There is what we know as shadow magic, which utilises the power of a sub-plane, a kind of shadow of this plane which brushes the lower plane. This allows for subtle shiftings of reality but is somewhat difficult to control and, if they overreach their ability, practitioners can find themselves drawn into and trapped in this shadow realm. Finally there is what is known as primal, or blood magic. This is done by offering up blood, the very essence of life, to invoke great power. It can be done using the sacrifice of lives, which has given this type of magic a poor reputation, but many of its more civilised practitioners prefer to offer their own blood, and this is obviously the method that we would prefer to teach you, as the death of any is regrettable at best and a despicable monstrosity at worst. Some of the dangers of this kind of magic are obvious, the great potential for power often tempting the less strong willed practitioners into the darker, sacrificial side and that overusing the cleaner side of the art to too great an extent can lead to the mages own death. Beyond these types of magic are those of the demons and of devils such as ourselves, which cannot be learned by the races of this plane as far as we are aware but can be employed, once a deal is struck. Devils, given the correct rituals and offerings, must fulfil any deal that they agree to, but the power of the demons, while often greater, is wild and incredibly difficult to control. This means that they are dangerous to friend and foe alike, as they do not really see a distinction between the two. Their power must therefore be used with only the most extreme caution, and the most powerful binding spell, and even then it may not be enough to prevent disaster. But you must forgive me, for I seem to have let my tongue run away with me. We would be most intrigued to know what dangers we may face with your technology, should this trade be approved.”

(( note, neither side will instantly have technology or magic from this deal))
Emperor Montizech nodded, looking thoughtful. Behind him, Harol shifted uncomfortably. "Our power, as you have noticed, is largely technological, though we do have a magical technology of our own. We are dabbling in controlling a form of magic, otherwise only controllable by the elven races, including the Feheron, using runes, but these are dependent on a limited, slow to replenish magic that may react rather differently if a rune is carved wrongly. We have steam power, which operates under the principle that water expands under heat, which in turn generates motion and pressure. This can be used to turn a turbine, or fire a projectile, if directed properly. The dangers come directly from the heat and pressure involved; steam is scalding, able to melt flesh off of an unguarded face, and boilers are under incredible pressure, so bad designing and construction, or the wrong metal or reinforcing can result in an explosion of steam. The result, in any case, is a transfer of heat into useful work, which can be combined with wheels for locomotion, pulleys, or naval propulsion with sufficiently powerful engines. With a rare magnetic material, such as iron, this can create electricity, which is something else entirely. Electricity... is also a recently harnessed type of energy which can transfer signals, and we suspect energy, over long distances. We use it for land based communication, but attempts to use more of it have been... Tragic."
"So my proposed deal is the following: we will give you an embassy in Natechi city, and accept an ambassador. We give your traders and civilians safe passage to enter our land, on condition that they obey our laws. We will also send empire traders to Tarus for a minimum of two years, open for renewal. We will provide 300 arms, 24 steam cannons and 4 unloaded Dolphin ships, to aide in your raids of Turkeryan colonies..." Montizech's poker face briefly grinned as he thought of how even closed Turkeryan borders couldn't keep their sailors quiet in Natechi port taverns." Unofficially, of course ((note: you will have trouble reverse engineering the guns without some prerequisite knowledge and some casualties if you try)). Finally, our engineers will work with your equivalents to teach your people the secrets of the steam engine, as well as some economical uses for them, along with prerequisite knowledge to make that work. It may take a few years, but as part of the deal, it will be done. In exchange, we ask for an embassy and safe passage for traders and civilians, as well as a minimum of 2 years of required trading of exotic wares. In terms of magic, we ask for basic knowledge of blood magic, more the clean side as you suggested but along with how it does differ from sacrificing, and shadow magic. A passing knowledge of necromancy and summoning are of curiousity, but unless summoning knowledge is required to maintain contact, demons and the dead are... Tender areas for many. And of course, should either of our nations be provably shown to behave in a manner that compromises the other, or is unsatisfied with the results, they may cancel this deal and open renegotiations."
"Does this deal work for you, or would you like to suggest any changes? I will not force a deal one of us sees as unfair or unfavourable."

sco wrote:
Vieto wrote:--- On the Leaszin ship

The devil smiled, “their walls and fortifications do not exist in the lower planes, and while greater distance requires greater power there is no reason that you would be unable to obtain such power, provided that you have the stomach for it. There were once powerful wards designed to prevent such things but it has been long since they have been invoked. And if you simply do not wish to invoke demons then my brethren should more than suffice, if that would make you a little more comfortable.” ((so I take it that since the change of races the Laeszin are all dwarves, is that correct?))

((Correct))

"Your offer is tempting... But no, I will not deal with devils or demons. It is a sin, and it is dishonourable. Now be gone, before I come around again." As the queen walked away, a second dwarf, an advisor of some wealth, crept up beside the devils.
"You must forgive our Queen, she is of the honourable breed, and is stubborn in her ways. My name is Alister, you may call me Ali. Please, come to my quarters. If she sees you, she may have you shot..."
"Now, I am willing to deal with you. You ask for a ship? I might be able to arrange that. A ship can get lost at sea, after all, and the Natechi are very useful scapegoats for the reports. And prisoners, well, I can give you some of them, but not all. In war, men go missing, and if the paper trail runs dry... Well, you might guess more on that. I have less qualms with summoning demons, but I am more interested in your magic. Tales from across the sea, I have heard from turkish pirates and sailors, of a land of shadowmagics and such. I have use for that sort of knowledge, of the kind you can only learn from dealing in the shadows. So, shall we deal? I sell whispers, lies, and inefficiencies for those looking for them."

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:09 am UTC

I wanted to ask a general question to everyone around here. Can I assume that this is a hobby that everyone here likes? Creating fictional countries and developing cultures and stories and such for them? Is this something people have done before, either on the internet or on pen and paper or with friends or such? I was just wondering what everyones thoughts and opinions were.

MilitaryGradeCustard wrote:Odd question but could people tell me what kind of birds and other flying animals they have in there countries?

Tricily is home to numerous species of birds small, medium and large; birds of foraging (like pigeons and robins and jays and such) as well as birds of prey (hawks and eagles and other such creatures). We also have several other flying creatures; most prominently is the dragon but other things such as griffins and the phoenix and such are also in existence.

I caution you in this method of message sending though. Not everyone will be receptive of a dead creature showing up on their doorstep; superstitious cultures may even take it as a bad omen. As for other flying animals, well, if you kill a dragon you'll make yourself an enemy of quite a few people in Tricily.

orangedragonfire wrote:I'm also not sure about a billion people for your country... but we haven't really talked about what is normal for a country to have. So let's do that now. To all players: what would you say should be a normal population in this game? I'd say a million is a normal population; with up to ten times that for large populations, and less for small populations.

--

Expansions are being done, since introductions are pretty much over, and I need to update the map for Skype anyway. So, the expansions I know about are:
Cyrris expands to the north-west, along the coast
Turkerya expands its colonies
Tarus takes island to north-west
If there are any I have missing, please tell me.

I'd say 10-15 million would be the max, with an average population anywhere from 1-5 million. We're Medieval, and, from the looks of it, mostly European/Near East in style, so I suspect our populations won't be gigantic. They will, however, likely increase in time as we progress, our cities expand and our nations get bigger.

As for expansions, I have plans to expand a little into the future, but they haven't exactly been completed yet. I can give them now if you want, or wait until a little bit later. Mostly it's just me expanding a little bit more around the shores/increasing the size of the northern colony. I also plan to lay claim to a desert (largely uninhabited) to my south.

Also, I don't know if it's relevant or not, but it's possible that for the present we may want to mark the trade route(s) between our two countries. Although perhaps not actually claimed by either country, they will be lines of space which we control.

orangedragonfire wrote:"Well, it seems that we pretty much want to same things.", Tystan said, "That certainly makes this easier. We'll only have to work out details, instead of discussing general points. Now, we could of course work out the details of the point we both agree on ourselves... or we could leave some that work to others. The tradeagreement, for example, is surely better arranged by traders. Other points... your people will be allowed into Cyrris, under our laws of course, both protection and persecution if they do something wrong. The embassy of Tricily in Htaed can be built by us if you want; otherwise a suitable area will be selected, and you can get your own builders there to build it. As for your expedition, I am sad to say that they had not reached Cyrris last time I spoke to the palace, which was two days ago... they might still be on their way, but as you said, the wilderness between our lands is dangerous. If you have lost contact with them, they might not be back. After all, if they were alive, they surely would have reported in already. But of course we will share our maps of our journey; they will be needed anyway to decide where to build a road between our countries."

"I do not quite think that they are dead," the Countess replied with a slight frown at such thought. "Communication outside of our borders has never been a really strong aspect with regards to our magic, although now it is a field which many mages are now studying to develop--as you can obviously see, we need it. We've historically been more adept at travel. While an experienced Djinn whirlwind rider can go as fast as a dragon, we could probably reach them in only a few hours, it is finding out where they are which is the trouble. Mundanely (authors note: "non-magically") we have sent out trained messanger hawks to scour the skies for them. Magically, several mages are currently in the process of establish contact, although if they do happen to be within the vicinity of any interference, an evil magic, for instance, this may prove troublesome. All in time, we will locate them.

Now, back to the subject of trade. It would seem favorable that we leave such discussions to the appropriate people; our subordinates which specialize in trade policy as well as our respective trade ministers. They will set up all of the ideal conditions and allow our traders to mutually prosper. With regards to the Embassy in your capital, we will scout the city for an appropriate building or location and decide then. We're currently undergoing the process of selecting the Ambassador which Tricily will send to your Kingdom. And, of course, we will get people right away to decide on the routes for our trading roads and begin construction as soon as possible. Is there any other points which you wish to bring up? Or are we done for now? King Marcus has cleared a bit of time out of his schedule, so he will see you whenever you are ready".

The Eastern Expedition sat around their campfire someways away from the burned monstrosity they had come across eating a dinner of hunted game and foraged vegetation. It has been an interesting day. A few of them had buried the poor thing which had been taken as sacrifice; a bit of a tricky task, since nobody was willing to actually touch it, whether cursed or otherwise simply rotten, and Major DuBois insisted that its burial be masked. He was ordering all of their tracks covered as carefully as practical in case the Bellusians returned anytime soon. The mages had informed him them that the magic around the sacrificial site had been fading, but they were able to pick up some wisps of it. It was magic of chaos and destruction as they had expected, and quite wild, but there was also something... sinister about it. Something organized. Not just demonic spirits.. perhaps something of actual, considerable power. They had only found one symbol remaining on the boulder, written there in blood. They had copied it down, but none of them could identify it.

"How are you doing over there?" Casper shouted a short ways away to where three of their navigators and cartographers crouched with their instruments, peering up at the stars so that they could better determine their current position and aid their own mapmaking. "Hush," one replied to him. "We need to concentrate. We'll let you know in a few minutes".

They were now farther than any Tricilians had been in recent history, according to the initial estimates they had told him earlier. Oh sure, some of them may have reached their before during the fighting or another such occasion, but never had they been documented as provenly travelled this far. Nobody knew quite how far away this Eastern Kingdom was, but many felt that it could only be so far before it was reached. A few of the scouts had reported earlier coming across signs that a village was not too far away. They would try and reach it by morning. The scouts felt it was a good village, rare in the area because of the threats, but they would approach with caution just in case. Who knows it could even be one on the edge of this New Kingdo--

Suddenly the expedition heard a cry from above. They jumped to their feet in suprise, but quickly relaxed when they realized the noise; it was the identification call of a Tricilian Messenger Hawk! The expedition, upon leaving Tricily, would occasionally send up small clouds of discreet magic which were largely unnoticeable and undetectable, but which the messenger hawks were trained, given a special magical modification, to identify. It might take them a bit of work to follow the trail from cloud to cloud, but unless the trail got too old or washed away, it could usually be followed by a good hawk. The creature swooped down and landed on Captain DuBois' outstretched arm. He unhooked a canister from the Hawk's back and, opening the special lock designed to fool interceptors, withdrew the message contained within.

"What does it say?" someone asked. Hawks generally carried short summary messages, even if they included longer messages and documents as well, in order to be able to relay the message immediately to the reciever in case time was limited for either side. DuBois scanned this initial message.

"It says," he read aloud. "that the Ambassador from the Eastern Kingdom has reached Tricily and is being taken to Scargo. It says the name of the Kingdom they are from is Cyrris and that their inhabitants are a kind of elf. They arrived in Poa which means, if they travelled roughly due East, they were travelling south of us. They want us to reply with our current location and that we can still keep moving, but should be awaiting followup messages, which hopefully includes directions on how to reach their Kingdom. There's more here as well".

"Well, they beat us," someone remarked.

"Yeah. I bet they weren't stopping at every little tree and bush to study it for a whole day," responded someone clearly not enthusiastic about research.

"Well maybe then that means we'll have the upper hand in knowing about everything in between the both of us," retorted someone who was clearly defensive about research.

"Alright, alright, calm yourselves," DuBois said warningly. "Regardless of what they did, our mission is still to reach this "Cyrris" place, and to learn as we go there. Now, hopefully a hawk with directions won't be far behind. Until then we'll continue travelling East and alter our course to go more southwards".

"What about the village," one of its discovering scouts asked. "That's a bit Northeast of here".

"We'll still check out the village. It's possible they can help us or maybe even know the way. But after that unless we have any reason not to we'll begin to go Southeasterly. Now, as soon as our navigators over there determine where we are, we'll send off a reply, along with a copy of the map we've made up until now, back to Tricily. Scratch that. We'll let this fellow rest until morning. He must have been flying for hours. Get him something to eat. In any case, we'll get him back and hopefully have a reply soon. As for the rest of you, anyone who doesn't have something they need to do right now finish up your meals and get to sleep. We're going to have a long day ahead of us".

Prince Antonis lay on his stomach atop a pile of hay, picking up a piece and twirling it between his thumb and forefinger. He was watching his friend, Arturio Winterbalm, as he finished feeding Nestor and began to go about cleaning his normal armor, which had been brought up from outside the city the previous day and which could do with some cleaning and minor repair after months out in the open wilderness.

"So how was it?" Antonis asked, looking at the piece of hey somewhat distractedly. He made a halfhearted attempt to concentrate on it, willing it to turn into a stalk of sugarplant. When it refused to bend to his will he sighed and continued to twiddle.

"The parade?" Arturio replied, shining a piece of his armor. "Oh, it was alright. I just had to ride on Nestor leading the way down the parade path, stopping every once and while, waving and smiling, which I am a natural at, obviously". He grinned.

"Not that," the young prince said, giving a small laugh. "I was there you know. And all the ladies were charmed. By Nestor, at least, not necessarily by you. But no, I meant how was it out on the fronteir, with the border patrol. Anything exciting happen?"

"Nah," Arturio responded. "It was the same old, same old. I mean, it was really nice to get out in the fresh air. Nestor here loved it. All of that open sky to fly around, trees to do aerial maneuvers, all that space to stretch his wings. But it wasn't like we saw a ton of action. Mostly it was just setting up camp, flying around the border, looking for any stray traders or suspicious movement--- usually it was a deer; dealing with annoyed village chiefs.. man, I got to tell you about this guy, Zeke Nunn, he was a piece of work.... but yeah. Just a lot of flying around and good ol' fresh air. At least until we found the ambassador. But that was nothing really. Just laying around the village with him, annoying Zeke Nunn, entertaining the children... then we got orders to bring him to Scargo and here we are."

"So, what's gonna happen now?" Antonis asked. "I mean, what are you going to do? Are you staying in Scargo? Are they sending you back to the border? Or are they sending you somewhere else?"

"I have no idea," Winterbalm replied, putting a little force into his polish. "I mean, you'd think that with the show I put on, leading an important ambassador directly to the King and everything, they'd see me as more important, but I've never known the Commander to care about stuff like that. Honestly, I have no idea what we'll be doing. All I know is that we've been told to stick around for a couple of days. So I've been getting a few things done-- cleaning my armor, catching up on some rest, visiting a few friends, favorite restaurants, the likes. So what have you been up to, my young Prince? Causing mischief in the city and sitting around during boring ceremonies, I suspect?"

The prince smiled again. "Something like that," Antonis replied. "A lot of school, too, mostly, and private tutors. Oh, and our Djinn classes! Those have been interesting. I got my wisdom teeth out a few weeks ago. We should actually be heading south on Tammuz pretty soon".

"Oh congratulations," Arturio said warmly and with exclamation. Wisdom-tooth extraction as well as the Tammuz were two very important events for any young Djinn. "Oh right, I think I remember hearing about that. You'll be travelling down there escorted by a Claiming Expedition, won't you?"

"Mhm," Antonis responded. "My father's going to issue the proclamation to claim the Tammuz desert in the name of Tricily pretty soon, and the Senate's expected to pass a bill confirming it. They'll travel down with us, then leave us to go determine exactly what we'll be claiming, map it out, and then work it out with the few locals to make sure they're okay with it. They've been expecting it for a while, I bet. We've been travelling to Tammuz for as long as anyone can remember. Why not just say it's ours? But anyways, I'm pretty excited. I finally want to break these powers in. Plus I'll be going with a lot of friends-- Barney Holm--he's Harris Roald's new page now, is in my class, so we'll be going together. I can't wait until we finally are able to use our Djinn powers. They're pretty amazing, aren't they".

Arturio saw the boy looking at the piece of hay, and, guessing his wish, turned it into a piece of sugarplant. Antonis looked at him with suprise and then went to enjoying his new treat.

"Ah yes," Arturio smiled. "Quite remarkable. I'm glad you'll be enjoying yourself. How is the young master Barnabas?"

"He's okay," Arturio said. "He's been busier now that he has to work for Harris, but he let's Barney off a lot, so we're still able to do a lot together. Actually, he should be stopping by any minute now. We're sneaking off to explore the city again".

"Ah," Winterbalm replied. "Just like always. Well, if I was any sort of authority figure I'd stop you, but the idea of the look on the face of a market woman when she realizes it's the Prince looking at her stand instead of some street urchin is too good to resist. Anyways, I wish you both a good time, now and at Tammuz".

"Oh, I'm sure I'll see you again before I go," Antonis replied. "But can you tell us about what Tammuz is? A little hint? A clue? Anything?"

Arturio stopped polishing and smiled. He figured they must be asking anyone they can find. Tammuz wasn't really anything too intense, but it was absolutely forbidden to let them know what it was beforehand so as not to lose the experience. "No. Now there's once stance on which I will not budge. You'll find out soon enough. I remember my own Tammuz. My good ol' dad took me. It rained. Can you believe that? In the desert for one night and it rained! Must've been the only kid for whom nature decided it would be perfect to rain during a Tammuz. Ah well. At least it makes for good story."

They heard the door to the stable open. "Ah," Arturio said. "I think the young Master Barnabas has arrived".

MilitaryGradeCustard

Postby MilitaryGradeCustard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:51 am UTC

Sco wrote:
“I believe that my lord simply meant to offer an invitation to your lordship but if you do not wish to meet at my Lord’s palace then perhaps you have a more neutral location that you would prefer? My lord warned me that some may not wish to enter his halls, although most, not your Lordship of course, for fear of retribution for their parts in the Great Betrayal. He would suggest a meeting at the base of the Mountain of the Long Shadow, where the radiance of the Field of Light would make it dangerous for any Prince of Darkness to exercise his power.”

"I find these terms acceptable. I have some things i wish to discuss with Ulandier, and while the ballance that the long shadow has created is tenues it is better then the chaos that would have fallen had it been upon your lords death, i shall meet him there."

Djehutynakht wrote: I caution you in this method of message sending though. Not everyone will be receptive of a dead creature showing up on their doorstep; superstitious cultures may even take it as a bad omen. As for other flying animals, well, if you kill a dragon you'll make yourself an enemy of quite a few people in Tricily.

Thanks, I was more thinking this is how messages arrive from epidermis himself. not from the coalition. as i need both standard diplomatic channels and ones for the secret under empire which is unknown to the larger world. It kind of is meant to be an omen type method to worn those who have broken epidermises balance. a precursor to a larger plague if they do not head hgis warnings, aswell as perhaps a method of deiveral small sets of scales in order to permit a leader of a nation or cult to directly to epidermus.

Also what is the state of sickness in other countries? (specifically lepracy?) as it would be groups such as this that would from Cults to epidermis so that he would lift his plagues in return for there service. as a second deamon prince i would like to have some more cults floating around (not as many as ulandier certinly but i would have some minour cults from sepsific groups such as leppers)

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

MilitaryGradeCustard wrote:Odd question but could people tell me what kind of birds and other flying animals they have in there countries?

I assume that there are normal birds, insects, etc in Cyrris, as well as a few fantasy variations thereof - say, an icebird that can use icemagic, freezing the river where it lives to create its habitat... or a fire bee who literally lives in a hive made out of fire, and whose honey is hot both as in taste and in temperature... lot's of flying things, basically. Though they are rarely used for message delivery; the Night Elves use either magic or gnomes for that purpose.

Djehutynakht wrote:I wanted to ask a general question to everyone around here. Can I assume that this is a hobby that everyone here likes? Creating fictional countries and developing cultures and stories and such for them? Is this something people have done before, either on the internet or on pen and paper or with friends or such? I was just wondering what everyones thoughts and opinions were.

Yes, this is a hobby for me; I've played several role-playing games with a free world; though only a few where I played a country. Mostly role-playing with a single character. And I've also done some world-building not related to games.

--

((I think we've talked about everything important in the meeting between Tystan and the Countess, so let's skip the rest of it; which would just be details about who should contact whom to figure out how interaction between the countries will work practically. It shouldn't have much of an impact on the game. I think next up is the meeting with the king?))

--

The next few days were filled with pranks for Solarys; both a lot directed at her, and ones she set up. She was up against pretty much everybody else; they were trying to scare, embarrass and force her into backing down, and she returned the favor. With so many opponents, she didn't get far, but she did prove that she could hold her own under pressure. The next step was to gain allies. But for that, she needed time.

"Nieril, I think we'll need to stop our lessons for a few days.", she told him, at dinner.

"What?", he asked, confused, "Why? I am learning well, am I not?"

"Oh, yes, nothing wrong with you.", Solarys agreed, "It's just... I am doing politicking in class, and that will take up a lot of time and effort over the next few days. Shouldn't take too long, though. Most of it is just waiting for others reactions, but there will sometimes be periods where I need to act a lot and fast, and that will conflict with our lessons."

"But you owe me!", he said, "You can't just abandon me!"

"I am not abandoning you - it's just a few days. Then I'll be back. Think of it as... a vacation. Students always love vacations. You can do all the things you don't have time to when I'm teaching you."

"... fine.", Nieril said, "But no more than three days."

"I...", Solarys said, quickly trying to figure out if that would be enough. Oh well, it would have to do, "... agree. I'll be back in three days. And I'll still live here and eat here, so it's not that you won't see me; we just won't have lessons."

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

I'd like to get this notice out: Décédé was intended to be (and should by all means be) a lost country. A place nobody knows about, because it was founded far away from everyone so it wouldn't be discovered! Décédé was founded secretly many millennia ago and time should have made all tales and knowledge about it to become mere myths.
I find it somehow disappointing that apparently people just know what it is, because it sounds like metagaming to me. So I ask those who speak with Décédé to give a plausible explanation for their knowledge of it.
Rant over, cue action.

MilitaryGradeCustard wrote:The Black rat departs for Decede, has a basic plauge kit on him.

Right. I was going to ask how you know of Decede, but I suppose godly intervention counts.

Decede is home to only two species of birds, both carrion birds like vultures. The only other known flying animal here is the Skeletal Horror of Nex.

- - - - -
KingTip wrote:"Decede? Interesting." King Tip was very intrigued with this newcomer. He loved doing politics. "I sent one of my explorers that way, but right now he is in Cyrris, according to my latest reports. I'm glad you got here first."

Umbra raised an eyebrow. "You know of Décédé? Who told you about us?" An unexpected, possibly dangerous development. The first Archmagi of Blight made sure nobody knew about Décédé when they founded it, or at least that those who knew were dead. I must notify Perecino as soon as possible.

- - - - -
sco wrote:The priest returns the bow, “forgive me, our Lord’s enemy once commanded many undead and it has been some time since any emissaries have graced our shores, let alone a Lich such as yourself. My name is Caden, the eviscerater. The waters, I’m afraid are an occupational hazard I’m afraid, although they do tend to discourage unwelcome visitors. Obligatory death threats aside, I would like to welcome you to Tarus in the name of the great and powerful Lord Ulinder. May I ask who it is that I address?”

Fumus regathered his composure, folding his hands in the longs folds of his robes. "You are addressing Fumus, Grand Lord of Smoke, High Lich of Décédé and fifth Archmage of Blight." This time, he made a very much more sincere bow, one pertaining to the situation and his introduction.

- - - - -
Djehutynakht wrote:"If you wish to move to a more comfortable setting before we continue be sure to let us know. Or, if you find it satisfactory to simply continue on here, that would be acceptable as well".

"Why don't we retire to a slightly more suitable place? As few as I have met, I am pretty sure that seamen have loose mouthworks, no offence, and not everyone needs know what we may or may not discuss. Although I will be willing to answer at least some of your questions as we go along." He let the men lead the way, silently ordering the undead turtle to await his return, not disturbing the docks or sailors. The turtle sunk like a stone, leaving no trace of itself in the dark waters.
"I met a pirate on the way here, you know, so I know what you are speaking of when you say they have a coarse language. Although I admit, it took him quite a while before he got his mouth open after spotting me on the high seas. Still, it might have been wise of me to cover my ears for the swell of swearwords he rained upon me before fleeing as fast as his ship managed. I still wonder what about me could have been so thoroughly scary." He chuckled at the memory of the bearded man sailing for his life.
At a tug from one of the men, Cruor spoke up again. "Oh yes, I almost forgot. My business in your lovely country, Director Vexus, is to explore, befriend and ally. Our most glorious leader, Malum Aeterna, decided that it was time for the Lost Country to become . . . unlost, making peace wherever it can."

- - - - - - - -
orangedragonfire wrote:"Oh, I grow them in little jars.", Jim said conversationally, while he quickly led the stranger to the Lift. Lift was the name of the trolls whose Job it was to life people up to the city. There were several of them around the city; the one Jim led them to was mostly used by gnomes and other slaves. There were also Lifts up there whose took people down again.

"Here we are.", Jim said, finding another gnome, "Ah, Bern! Here is a stranger. Take the Lift up to the city with him, and then take him to the capital. I'd do it myself, but I'm gonna be hit by Redrug pretty soon. Lift, take them up."

Bern directed the stranger to stand on the ground next to him. Then he signaled Lift, who used Earth magic to lift the piece of ground Bern and the stranger were standing on. They were rising quite fast, but not fast enough that you got uncomfortable. And the trip up was perfectly smooth. Eventually, they reached the flying city.

"Ah, here we are.", Bern said, "Htaed. Come, I'll take you to the palace."

"Wonderful. Just wonderful." Nex had stopped again, to marvel (or at least look like she marveled) at the sights of Htaed. The amount of curious glances she received was also much lower than usual, as she had had the smart notion of taking a night elf's skin during the Lift ride up to the city. Even though she was a bit taller than most night elves, the attention was mostly directed at Bern, who came toward her again with an unhappy smile, proceeding to escort her toward the palace.
"By the way, could you ask Jim if he can send me some of his assorted mushrooms when he is no longer completely wasted? I am very fascinated of his skill in growing them."

- - - - - -
Perecino stood at the large study's window, reading and comparing the most sacred scripts Undeadkind had ever held. One of them was the base work of Necromancy, the grand book of teaching that included almost all known knowledge of necromancy. The other was the most closely guarded secret of the Archmagi of Blight, a letter called The Last Command.

The great Necromantic Wars are over. We, the Highest Lich of the world, gathered and put a stop to them, removing as many of the unwilling necromancers as necessary to ensure the rest knew we were not joking. When the fighting was finally at end, we could spot the damage it had done to the world. Countless had died, again and again, in the younger one's stupid quest for world dominance. We tried many times to explain to the living that the undead no longer posed a threat, that we wanted to help them. Alas, we began our work too soon. Bound by our own rules, the Grand Booke of Death, we were not allowed to defend ourselves enough when the masses came to our castles. Flight was the best option, we decided. Let us hide our rotting faces away until we are but sad memories of times long past. So we set out to find a place far away from everything, far from the ones who would destroy us for what we are, not who we are. At the place of the greatest battle, we knew we had found it; Décédé, the Lost Country, lost even before it was founded. Our call rallied Necromancers from everywhere, gathering, amassing. The riot when we proclaimed the Edict of Death was horrible, but it was too late already. We had cast the spell wards protecting the land from discovery and at the same time preventing the escape of everyone but the most powerful. Weakened, we, the Archmagi, have retreated to our sanctum. Even its strong walls will not last long against the wrath of those we called to us. The Great Lord who we all ultimately serve and go to will soon see us again and this time we will have come willingly, fully knowing the consequences.
(...)
We strongly doubt that any human, Djin, Elf, or any other race will be able to trust us again and if they do, it will be when even we are no more. Stories will evolve over time, until we become a mere memory. That may be the time when we can show ourselves to the world once more without the constant fear of hordes and hordes of angry villagers endlessly trying to kill us with their primitive weapons.

Coming Archmagi of Blight, we compose this in the knowledge that we cannot remain forever, as Death will claim us for our actions against his children, and the ones he has yet to claim. The means mean nothing, all that matters is that he will come. Know that we did what we knew was best for the world, remember us with reverence and follow our example as best you can.
Signed,
Arachnea
Leontodon
Malum
Luzerne
Nocturn
Leila Kala
Azzanadra

Perecino's eyes shifted to the tome in his hands, the Grand Booke of Death. He had held it open on its most crucial point, the Edict of Death, so called because Death himself was said to have written it down and sent it to the no-longer-alive when they first settled in Décédé. Written on the page was one single command written in the most calligraphic script to have ever been composed.
No undead shall again harm and kill a living
The following page contained a lot of small amendments, made by the later followers of Death, but the essential message was clear.

sco

Postby sco » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote: (Well either he would have found you or you him. Either way works. By the way, as I mentioned infiltrators in the segment above I'll just clarify now that this new figure is in fact not an infiltrator).

The man follows him uneasily into the building. The Ulindian gestures him into an alcove right inside the doorway, sensing the man has something to say to him. Once inside, the man pulls down the hood to his cloak. The cultists can now see that he is not quite an older man; in fact he was quite young. Some might even better describe him as a youth. He had fair, with somewhat pale, even if now flushed, skin. His hair was golden and he had green eyes which, even though they now showed some worry and doubt, sparked with determination and, perhaps, ill-intent. The cultist recognizeed this. Ambition. He could see under the cloak the youth was fairly well dressed, and wondered what such a person was doing there.

"How may I be of assistance to you, my friend?" the cultist asks. "The Brothers and Sisters of Ulinder are always happy to help those who are in need of it".

The youth was quiey for a moment, but then he spoke up, in an unsure and inexperienced voice, yet with an attempt to be forceful and determined. "I wish to speak to your leader," he said, looking the man in the eye. For a second they flashed.

"And who should I say is making such a request?" the cultist asked, somewhat taken aback by this request. Nobody got to see their leader; at least, no outsider had ever been afforded this privledge before.

The youth took a breath before reestablishing his stare at the cultist and replying. "My name is Lord Lucas Severus Cadivia, of the House of Alger. I would like to speak with the leader of your people. I have an offer which I believe he will find very enticing, and, I suspect, very beneficial to your goals".

“As I am sure you are aware our organisation has come under some unwelcome suspicions of late and as such our leader sees very few people. Could I, perhaps, pass along a message for you? If it is a message for his ears only then perhaps there is another way that we could arrange things more to your satisfaction.”

orangedragonfire wrote: "Oh, I'm sure we can find a fool willing to be possessed by you eventually, if that is important to you; but for now we have more important things to do. You did manage to possess the crystal, which leaves two steps. We'll need to allow you to move outside the crystal while still drawing power from it, and we'll need to get a power source for the crystal, so it doesn't run out. I'll work on the first, and you on the second. For that, it actually is useful that you are now working with me willingly, because you'll need to return to the lower planes, and establish an access point at one of the lower leylines. Without a willing agent there, it might have taken me ages to fine those down there, since I can't really go myself and would have been poking around blindly. Here."

Martheus handed the devil a clear white crystal contraption inset with smaller, black, green and red crystals.

"This is linked to a device I'll keep here. The magic will be from both will be distributed equally among them. Which means that lower magic will flow from there to here, where we can use it. But be careful, this wasn't easy to make. So, find a leyline in the lower planes, and place it there. Then return to me. You can return to me, right? If not, we'll wait with this until I figure out a way to get you specifically back; I only know how generally to summon devils."

“If you would like I can teach you how to summon a specific devil or demon, but, given enough power I should be able to return to you. We may have a problem, however, with this device, as materials from this world are repelled from the lower planes and it may be expelled before it can do us much good. Unless you’ve already considered this and built in protection of some sort? If not, I can see two possible solutions. Either we discover a method for allowing your constructs to remain in the lower planes for longer, or we replicate this device using materials drawn from the lower planes.”

MilitaryGradeCustard wrote: Odd question but could people tell me what kind of birds and other flying animals they have in there countries? this is for the purpose of message delivering. The favoured method of a nover operative is to infect a bird with a slow acting plauge that will slowely corrupt its nervous system but giving it enough conciousess to fly in pretty much a strait line and then die at its destination. so infect a bird, strap the message to its leg. it flys up to the recipiant or into ther chmbers. and drops dead. They do this as the nover themselves cannot jepordise there position of secrecy.

Tarus has most of the flying creatures that you would expect of an island in that climate but they have all been warped and twisted by the demonic powers of the place. I’m not sure this is going to be particularly important, however, as Ulinder is one of the few who are aware of Epidermus and so we have a much more convenient way to communicate with each other.

Vieto wrote: (( note, neither side will instantly have technology or magic from this deal))
Emperor Montizech nodded, looking thoughtful. Behind him, Harol shifted uncomfortably. "Our power, as you have noticed, is largely technological, though we do have a magical technology of our own. We are dabbling in controlling a form of magic, otherwise only controllable by the elven races, including the Feheron, using runes, but these are dependent on a limited, slow to replenish magic that may react rather differently if a rune is carved wrongly. We have steam power, which operates under the principle that water expands under heat, which in turn generates motion and pressure. This can be used to turn a turbine, or fire a projectile, if directed properly. The dangers come directly from the heat and pressure involved; steam is scalding, able to melt flesh off of an unguarded face, and boilers are under incredible pressure, so bad designing and construction, or the wrong metal or reinforcing can result in an explosion of steam. The result, in any case, is a transfer of heat into useful work, which can be combined with wheels for locomotion, pulleys, or naval propulsion with sufficiently powerful engines. With a rare magnetic material, such as iron, this can create electricity, which is something else entirely. Electricity... is also a recently harnessed type of energy which can transfer signals, and we suspect energy, over long distances. We use it for land based communication, but attempts to use more of it have been... Tragic."
"So my proposed deal is the following: we will give you an embassy in Natechi city, and accept an ambassador. We give your traders and civilians safe passage to enter our land, on condition that they obey our laws. We will also send empire traders to Tarus for a minimum of two years, open for renewal. We will provide 300 arms, 24 steam cannons and 4 unloaded Dolphin ships, to aide in your raids of Turkeryan colonies..." Montizech's poker face briefly grinned as he thought of how even closed Turkeryan borders couldn't keep their sailors quiet in Natechi port taverns." Unofficially, of course ((note: you will have trouble reverse engineering the guns without some prerequisite knowledge and some casualties if you try)). Finally, our engineers will work with your equivalents to teach your people the secrets of the steam engine, as well as some economical uses for them, along with prerequisite knowledge to make that work. It may take a few years, but as part of the deal, it will be done. In exchange, we ask for an embassy and safe passage for traders and civilians, as well as a minimum of 2 years of required trading of exotic wares. In terms of magic, we ask for basic knowledge of blood magic, more the clean side as you suggested but along with how it does differ from sacrificing, and shadow magic. A passing knowledge of necromancy and summoning are of curiousity, but unless summoning knowledge is required to maintain contact, demons and the dead are... Tender areas for many. And of course, should either of our nations be provably shown to behave in a manner that compromises the other, or is unsatisfied with the results, they may cancel this deal and open renegotiations."
"Does this deal work for you, or would you like to suggest any changes? I will not force a deal one of us sees as unfair or unfavourable."

“This seems like an acceptable and balanced proposition but there are a few amendments that we would discuss. The first is that of beliefs. The people of Tarus are highly religious and as such we would like to ensure that they would be free to practice their religion while within Natechia, and if possible be free to preach their word to the people of Natechia, for those who wish to hear it. We would, of course, offer the same to any Natechi who should journey to Tarus. Our only other point of concern is that the magics unleashed on the main island of Tarus have left it irrevocably changed. The areas under the aurora are bathed in magic that can alter those who dwell beneath it. This is responsible for many of the exotic and beautiful items which we have available to trade but may make your people uncomfortable. We would be more than happy for the embassy to be built on our mainland but if this is a problem we do control islands outside of the aurora which would also be suitable. Otherwise, and apart from the logistical details, which I’m sure you’ll agree can be better left to others to iron out, I believe that we are agreed?”

Vieto wrote:"Your offer is tempting... But no, I will not deal with devils or demons. It is a sin, and it is dishonourable. Now be gone, before I come around again." As the queen walked away, a second dwarf, an advisor of some wealth, crept up beside the devils.
"You must forgive our Queen, she is of the honourable breed, and is stubborn in her ways. My name is Alister, you may call me Ali. Please, come to my quarters. If she sees you, she may have you shot..."
"Now, I am willing to deal with you. You ask for a ship? I might be able to arrange that. A ship can get lost at sea, after all, and the Natechi are very useful scapegoats for the reports. And prisoners, well, I can give you some of them, but not all. In war, men go missing, and if the paper trail runs dry... Well, you might guess more on that. I have less qualms with summoning demons, but I am more interested in your magic. Tales from across the sea, I have heard from turkish pirates and sailors, of a land of shadowmagics and such. I have use for that sort of knowledge, of the kind you can only learn from dealing in the shadows. So, shall we deal? I sell whispers, lies, and inefficiencies for those looking for them."

“I believe that we should be able to come to some kind of arrangement, Ali. You may call me Ciluu, I am a servant of Modea (this is another name for Ulinder, used in a different culture and an ancient time. It would be exceedingly difficult for anyone to link the two, especially given the number of demon princes that there are). What exactly is it that you wish to know of our magics, and what kinds of secrets may you offer?”

MilitaryGradeCustard wrote: "I find these terms acceptable. I have some things i wish to discuss with Ulandier, and while the ballance that the long shadow has created is tenues it is better then the chaos that would have fallen had it been upon your lords death, i shall meet him there."

The two lords stand opposite each other, in the shadow of the great mountain. “Epidermus, it has been a long time, a very long time. I see that you survived the chaos that followed the Great Betrayal in good spirits and good health. I know that we have had our disagreements in the past, when my reach extended over much of the prime plane, but I hope that you’ll agree that the time has come for our plane to regain something of its old splendour. My followers have not yet sensed your touch in the world, although I do not doubt that your influence remains yet. I have asked you here for several reasons. The first is to ask if you are aware of any of the others who have awoken, and which survived the chaos after the Great Betrayal. Another is to ask your intentions, given the state of the prime plane and taking into account my awakening. And finally, I ask a courtesy. While I know that you will not give me your loyalty, or allegiance, I ask simply for a warning, in the event that you do see fit to… rebalance my scales.”

Queen Arasene wrote:Fumus regathered his composure, folding his hands in the longs folds of his robes. "You are addressing Fumus, Grand Lord of Smoke, High Lich of Décédé and fifth Archmage of Blight." This time, he made a very much more sincere bow, one pertaining to the situation and his introduction.

“Impressive, we are truly honoured. I do not think that we have heard of Décédé, but if your strength is any indication then perhaps it is the great outpouring of necromantic energy that we have recently detected to the far south west? It must be guarded well, for we have been searching for such energy for some time, to determine if our Lord’s enemy has re-emerged. But enough of that, you say that you are an emissary, I shall take you to our High-Priest then, our leader on this plane. I’m sure that he will be very keen to meet you. If you would follow me?” The Priest leads the Lich up the beach and along the rocky mountainside to a large ledge where most of the sacrificial circles and altars are. Here the high priest is overseeing yet another offering, more happily now that the new load of slaves has come in from the capture of the Orcish territories. The priest speaks up, “High Priest, may I present Fumus, Grand Lord of Smoke, High Lich of Décédé and fifth Archmage of Blight, who comes to our land as an emissary of his people.”

One night a devil appears before Sirilly Icewatcher, handing her a message and then disappearing again. The message is short and simply reads, “Negotiations with the country to the West have begun, ensure that trade flows along the proper routes, both literal and otherwise.” (this is a reference to the route to the new land that was shown to Sirilly very early on, it’s up to you if she catches on or not.)

Djehutynakht wrote: I wanted to ask a general question to everyone around here. Can I assume that this is a hobby that everyone here likes? Creating fictional countries and developing cultures and stories and such for them? Is this something people have done before, either on the internet or on pen and paper or with friends or such? I was just wondering what everyones thoughts and opinions were.

I’ve done somewhat similar things before, offline and I was a part of the original create your own country on this forum. It is something I like to do, although usually my countries are very different to my current one. That is one of the parts that I like most about it though, trying out different things and just seeing how it turns out.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

"You know of Décédé? Who told you about us?"

King Tip could tell he was concerned and irritated. "We might have no knowledge of Decede at all. I just assumed it might've been the rambles of a mad elf a few centuries ao. He said something about 'Horror' and dece - something. I just assumed could be Decede. But I assure you, if you want your nation to be secret, it is in very good hands with us." King Tip wasn't lying about that. if you wanted a secret to be kept safe, but want to tell someone about it, New Willville was the place to go.

@Custard,
New Willville has almost millions of flying species, although the bats and jihachis might be the smartest way to go.

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

MilitaryGradeCustard

Postby MilitaryGradeCustard » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:00 am UTC

Queen Arasane wrote: Right. I was going to ask how you know of Decede, but I suppose godly intervention counts.

Yea i was going for godly intervention, epidermic has very little power in the mortal realm unless he get a lot of sacrifices. but he is aware of and can sence the locations so on of other nations and power. though since he is technically blind he cannot see any specific detail so while it lets me be aware of how much power and where each country is as well as what kind of people inhabit it i won't be able to magical track everyone secret plans and movements, it that ok or should i dial it back to more basic knowlage?
Last edited by MilitaryGradeCustard on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

MilitaryGradeCustard

Postby MilitaryGradeCustard » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:15 am UTC

Sco wrote: “Epidermus, it has been a long time, a very long time. I see that you survived the chaos that followed the Great Betrayal in good spirits and good health. I know that we have had our disagreements in the past, when my reach extended over much of the prime plane, but I hope that you’ll agree that the time has come for our plane to regain something of its old splendour. My followers have not yet sensed your touch in the world, although I do not doubt that your influence remains yet. I have asked you here for several reasons. The first is to ask if you are aware of any of the others who have awoken, and which survived the chaos after the Great Betrayal. Another is to ask your intentions, given the state of the prime plane and taking into account my awakening. And finally, I ask a courtesy. While I know that you will not give me your loyalty, or allegiance, I ask simply for a warning, in the event that you do see fit to… rebalance my scales.

Thank you Ulandier, your little stunt with mutually assured destruction during the betrayal caused me some grief. but it appears you have become a tad more.. stable. And i concur on your assessment. We must have this plane regain its splendor. Yes. My influence remains yet in the world. and i may have to take more drastic actions soon.
In answer to your questions i have heard stirrings, certainly none of my three brothers are awake, though the eldest has quite a following on the mortal plane, the land of decde i belive even if they do not practice worship in a literal sence. I wish the world to remain in balance. which is why in response to your second question i wil ask one of my own. Is one plane enough? will you stop when we have restored the lower planes to your rule? Not that it matters. if the people of the world, yours and mine included do not act. I fear even our lower planes will not be safe. They are waking up. To the third i say that you know my ways. Is not true or fair to toppel a great civilisation without first giving it a chance to right its wrongs, I shall warn you. or you followers of any action i will take against either. and as the same of you to me. Remember Ulandier, I never betrayed you. and i would see you back on the throne of our beloved hell. But i also wish thease new people to prosper under there own devices, hopefully my goals are not contradictory.

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

@MilitaryGradeCustard:
Seems legit, ask the Great Man himself. (That refers to ODF).
Small tip; to quote someone, put [quote = "insert name"] (minus spaces) and later, a [ /quote]. You'll get something like:
The Man wrote:Yo.

- - - - - -
KingTip wrote:"I assure you, if you want your nation to be secret, it is in very good hands with us."

"Excuse my outbreak. It is merely that we thought ourselves as a country none know about. In all honesty, I think it might be wise of us to remain unknown to the world. However, it is also a good idea to inform the reigning monarchs of each known land in case the stories begin to flourish once more."
Umbra very carefully avoided to notice the word "Horror", or mention it again. He also did not mention which stories he meant.

- - - - - -
sco wrote:“Impressive, we are truly honoured. I do not think that we have heard of Décédé, but if your strength is any indication then perhaps it is the great outpouring of necromantic energy that we have recently detected to the far south west? It must be guarded well, for we have been searching for such energy for some time, to determine if our Lord’s enemy has re-emerged. But enough of that, you say that you are an emissary, I shall take you to our High-Priest then, our leader on this plane. I’m sure that he will be very keen to meet you. If you would follow me?” The Priest leads the Lich up the beach and along the rocky mountainside to a large ledge where most of the sacrificial circles and altars are. Here the high priest is overseeing yet another offering, more happily now that the new load of slaves has come in from the capture of the Orcish territories. The priest speaks up, “High Priest, may I present Fumus, Grand Lord of Smoke, High Lich of Décédé and fifth Archmage of Blight, who comes to our land as an emissary of his people.”

"I am honored," Fumus spoke up as the High Priest turned, "To meet your most valuable leader. Your concern about the strong necromantic power from the south-west is curious. I know certain things about the lands in said direction. With this in mind, I would be very grateful if you were to tell me more of your lord and his enemy."
This place makes me queasy. It might be the otherworldly forces reigning, but somehow the sacrificing does not appeal to me.

- - - - - -
sco wrote:One night a devil appears before Sirilly Icewatcher, handing her a message and then disappearing again. The message is short and simply reads, “Negotiations with the country to the West have begun, ensure that trade flows along the proper routes, both literal and otherwise.” (this is a reference to the route to the new land that was shown to Sirilly very early on, it’s up to you if she catches on or not.)

Does this apply to me?

- - - - - -
Someone should make a gathered history of the World, including all significant historic events.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

"Huh, in all texts I've read, crystals are classified as plane-neutral.", Martheus said, "I never even considered that they might be rejected from the lower planes, but I must admit that I have not really tried any transplanar engineering. I'd say the best we can do is try it, and see what happens. If it doesn't work, we can always go back to the drawing board, and try to come up with something else."

--

Sirilly read the note and dismissed it. She had already taken the necessary steps; after all, Ulinder had told her that a small group should be careful to stay on the path drawn on the map. It was no great leap of thought to figure out that a busy trade route also should be careful to stay on the same path. She had people infiltrating the group responsible for building the traderoad, and was confident that they could get the road to be built according to the map. Really, why did Ulinder have to give her obvious orders? Oh well. At least that confirmed that he still underestimated her.

--

Nex was led into the palace. It was easily the most impressive building in Htaed, built on the highest of the floating rocks, and thus overlooking the city. Several long winding stairs went up to the palace. Most ended in front of the main gates, while a few others led directly to some of the towers. The towers were numerous, reached high into the sky, and had precarious looking walkways connecting them to the other towers. In short, the palace looked like it defied gravity.

Bern led Nex to the main entrance, a huge double door. There, the gnome promised to ask Jim about the mushrooms, before leaving Nex in the care of the palace guards. They were well armed, but looked mostly bored. After all, nobody could remember there ever being an attack on the palace.

"It's gonna take some time till we get the doors open.", one of the guards said, "And you'd have to wait for the King and Queen to get ready anyway. So, while we wait, tell us, where are you from?"

--

Solarys followed Viyern Dawnwatcher home. The boy had mostly tried to avoid the battle for dominance that took place in the class, and thus was perfect for her plan.

"Hello, Viyern.", she said once she was sure that no other students had followed them or seen her come after him.

"Solarys?", he asked, immediately suspicious. The girl smiled at him.

"Don't worry.", she said, "I'm not here to do anything against you. Instead, I am here to offer you a deal. I have seen that you would rather to exempt from the silly fighting that is going on. I can offer you that - I would officially proclaim you to be under my protection. Now, I won't lie, in the beginning, you'll get targeted because of that. But I am confident that I can deal with that within a week or so, and after that, noone will dare do anything against you. So, what do you say?"

"I am intrigued.", Viyern said, "Of course I am. But I noticed that you offer me protection, and have not asked for anything in return. That I find hard to believe. What is the price?"

"The price... well, firstly, you'd have to promise not to do anything against me; if you did, I would target you viciously, and the protection would be void. That much is obvious. I am aware that I could probably claim more for protection, but not yet. You being targeted as a result of the protection is the price you'll have to pay. Once my protection is generally accepted, then I'll be able to charge more for it. Think of it as a price reduction due to hazard."

"I see.", Viyern said. They continued to walk in silence for a few minutes, until Viyern eventually said: "Fine, I'll accept. I really don't want to get too deeply involved in your fight, and it seems to get worse and worse."

"Excellent.", Solarys said, "I'll see you tomorrow at school, then."

sco

Postby sco » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

MilitaryGradeCustard wrote:Thank you Ulandier, your little stunt with mutually assured destruction during the betrayal caused me some grief. but it appears you have become a tad more.. stable. And i concur on your assessment. We must have this plane regain its splendor. Yes. My influence remains yet in the world. and i may have to take more drastic actions soon.
In answer to your questions i have heard stirrings, certainly none of my three brothers are awake, though the eldest has quite a following on the mortal plane, the land of decde i belive even if they do not practice worship in a literal sence. I wish the world to remain in balance. which is why in response to your second question i wil ask one of my own. Is one plane enough? will you stop when we have restored the lower planes to your rule? Not that it matters. if the people of the world, yours and mine included do not act. I fear even our lower planes will not be safe. They are waking up. To the third i say that you know my ways. Is not true or fair to toppel a great civilisation without first giving it a chance to right its wrongs, I shall warn you. or you followers of any action i will take against either. and as the same of you to me. Remember Ulandier, I never betrayed you. and i would see you back on the throne of our beloved hell. But i also wish thease new people to prosper under there own devices, hopefully my goals are not contradictory.

“You disapproved of my little trick? I would have thought that mutually assured destruction would be much to your liking, very balanced. You know that my desire does not end at the one plane but, as always, those on the natural plane will rise or fall by their own choosing, I can only dig the graves, it is their choices which fill them. Now, my devil said that you had things that you wished to discuss with me, so please, share with me your thoughts.”

Queen Arasene wrote:"I am honored," Fumus spoke up as the High Priest turned, "To meet your most valuable leader. Your concern about the strong necromantic power from the south-west is curious. I know certain things about the lands in said direction. With this in mind, I would be very grateful if you were to tell me more of your lord and his enemy."
This place makes me queasy. It might be the otherworldly forces reigning, but somehow the sacrificing does not appeal to me.

(just in case it went unnoticed, I sent a devil to investigate the power a while ago, it can arrive whenever you’d like, unless we find out that it’s you here, then I can call it off.)
The priest smiles, noticing the lack of any concrete response from the lich but always happy to give a sermon on Ulinder. Speaking as usual with two voices, one of the devil possessing him and one of the human that now only formed a part of his whole, he responds. “Greetings, and welcome to Tarus. Our Lord Ulinder, High Lord of the Lower Planes, as his name suggests, is the God of those planes. He once ruled the earth and all lived beneath his majesty. But with such power comes enemies to match and the forces of light beat our lord back. They made it as far as the Lower planes, forcing their way through a weak point that sits on this very island, but our Lord created a great barrier, shutting them out and killing many of their number. These attacks weakened his power, however and the princes of the lower planes, treacherous and power hungry, turned on him, forcing him back to the depths of his realm. One of the greatest among these, and possibly the one with the greatest power on this plane was Neylorn, Prince of the Undead, commander of the Eternal Army. He was one of our lord’s greatest lieutenants when he ruled the world and controlled much of the land to the south of here. But even the powers arrayed against him could not defeat our lord, and the princes turned on each other. Our Lord has been dormant for many generations, but now awakens, and touches the world once more. But please, I have been talking to long, tell me of your lands.” The High Priest looks around, as if seeing the area through fresh eyes. “I understand that this probably does not bother you overly but if you’d like then we could continue this conversation somewhere a little more comfortable.”

orangedragonfire wrote:"Huh, in all texts I've read, crystals are classified as plane-neutral.", Martheus said, "I never even considered that they might be rejected from the lower planes, but I must admit that I have not really tried any transplanar engineering. I'd say the best we can do is try it, and see what happens. If it doesn't work, we can always go back to the drawing board, and try to come up with something else."

“perhaps you are right, as I say, I am not an expert but, generally, anything from an alien plane is expelled from planes to which it is not native. But perhaps it is best to simply try first. Will any point along a ley-line work or would you prefer I find a Node to utilise?”

Hey, I had an idea for something I’d like to try here but I thought that I should run it by everyone first. A while back there was a game on this forum called Forum Nation, which some of you played for a while. It died for a couple of reasons, the original creator disappeared, the action slowed down too much and, once I took over, because I didn’t prepare enough to keep it going. Basically the idea was to run a single fantasy nation as a council, voting on all actions with people sometimes getting more votes depending upon their role in the council, ie. Commander of the military would get two votes in matters related to war. What I’d like to do is create a new version of this game linked to this game, with things in each game effecting the other. I hope that this will both keep things moving in the other game and make for an interesting country in this game, unlike anything that’s really been done before. If you’d prefer I didn’t have any actual votes in the other game then I’d be happy to act as scribe or GM or whatever you want to call it but ideally I’d like to open it up to having players of this game on the council and rely on the council system and the integrity of the people playing this game to make sure that it remains as fair as possible, or perhaps people would have to abstain from matters relating to their own nation. I’d like people’s thoughts on this, whether they like it or think it shouldn’t be allowed and any ideas for how to improve it. If you’d like to check out the original game to get a bit of a feel for it I’ve included a link here.

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

@Ulinder: (Really sorry for messing a bit with your history there bud, but . . . )
Death is not a god. He is much more a physical manifestation of a force of nature, similar to Death from the Discworld. Personification of the world working, so to say.
- - - - -
sco wrote:“I understand that this probably does not bother you overly but if you’d like then we could continue this conversation somewhere a little more comfortable.”

(Oh, I did not notice that. From my point of view, the devil should have become thoroughly confused when the power you first felt split into five lesser ones, each going into a different direction. Depending on which one you followed, you'd end up with one of my lich missionaries.)
"Neylorn, you say. That is a rare name, one not easily forgotten. I have heard mention of him once. I can safely assure you that nothing in the far southwest has anything to do with him at all." Fumus smiled. The Prince of Undead was a long-forgotten name even with the necromancers. "A more comfortable place sounds very good. You must know, we do not deal in bloody sacrifices as much as you do here." And he added in a low murmur "Even though Cruor might have enjoyed this."
- - - - - - -
orangedragonfire wrote:"So, while we wait, tell us, where are you from?"

Nex smiled. "I have all the time in the world. Don't hurry with those doors on my behalf."

(Really, a timeline to see when significant historic events happened in relation to each other would be helpful.)
Last edited by Queen Arasene on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

MilitaryGradeCustard

Postby MilitaryGradeCustard » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:08 am UTC

Sco Wrote
You disapproved of my little trick? I would have thought that mutually assured destruction would be much to your liking, very balanced. You know that my desire does not end at the one plane but, as always, those on the natural plane will rise or fall by their own choosing, I can only dig the graves, it is their choices which fill them. Now, my devil said that you had things that you wished to discuss with me, so please, share with me your thoughts

Nothingness is not the same as balance. But yes we move on. what have you heard of the eternal army? there rising would prove greatly displeasing to me. i have dispatched envoys to a land of death to seek council with those who dwell there. i assume you already have devils there? pray tell me what you have learned?
Last edited by MilitaryGradeCustard on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:19 am UTC

sco wrote:“This seems like an acceptable and balanced proposition but there are a few amendments that we would discuss. The first is that of beliefs. The people of Tarus are highly religious and as such we would like to ensure that they would be free to practice their religion while within Natechia, and if possible be free to preach their word to the people of Natechia, for those who wish to hear it. We would, of course, offer the same to any Natechi who should journey to Tarus. Our only other point of concern is that the magics unleashed on the main island of Tarus have left it irrevocably changed. The areas under the aurora are bathed in magic that can alter those who dwell beneath it. This is responsible for many of the exotic and beautiful items which we have available to trade but may make your people uncomfortable. We would be more than happy for the embassy to be built on our mainland but if this is a problem we do control islands outside of the aurora which would also be suitable. Otherwise, and apart from the logistical details, which I’m sure you’ll agree can be better left to others to iron out, I believe that we are agreed?”

"On the note of religion, as long as your believers follow our laws and the regulations set by the religion guild, your followers, then your freedom of religion is as good as implied. Of course, you may wish to read up on these beforehand so as to not step on anyone's toes, but otherwise, you will find that the guild system will work to your satisfaction. As for the aurora issue, I think that is an acceptable solution, until such a time that we find a protective solution. Otherwise, yes, we are agree."

Minister Anziri wrote out the agreements on two sets of paper, to be signed, and prepared a slating machine, which would set the agreement into stone once signed, a tradition from the dwarves. While slate had been originally used for long term agreements, in the age of a printing press, they made for fire-proof storage of documents and were useful for mass-producing paper copies. After the signing ((I assume the devils signed)), Montizech continued. "That will be all. If you wish to talk further politics, Minister Anzeri is the one you should contact. Otherwise, you are free to explore the city at your leisure. I have other important matters to see to.

Djehutynakht wrote:I wanted to ask a general question to everyone around here. Can I assume that this is a hobby that everyone here likes? Creating fictional countries and developing cultures and stories and such for them? Is this something people have done before, either on the internet or on pen and paper or with friends or such? I was just wondering what everyones thoughts and opinions were.

Yes, it is something of a hobby of mine. It's how I got the idea for the Terrinech, and sort of for my magic system.

MilitaryGradeCustard wrote:Also what is the state of sickness in other countries? (specifically lepracy?) as it would be groups such as this that would from Cults to epidermis so that he would lift his plagues in return for there service. as a second deamon prince i would like to have some more cults floating around (not as many as ulandier certinly but i would have some minour cults from sepsific groups such as leppers)

Disease rates are medium-low in Natechi, as the Feheron can heal (as something of an intuition thing), the Terrinech tend to be a little resistant to diseases, and the cites have access to lots of clean water, cleanish cities, and healthy food. Most of the diseased populations would be underground (literally), living in industrial areas, or live near marshes and jungles. Leprosy rates are low, but not curable. Rats tend to be on the low side, as dwarves tend to be fond of cats (both house cats and larger cats, such as leapords)

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:44 am UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:((I think we've talked about everything important in the meeting between Tystan and the Countess, so let's skip the rest of it; which would just be details about who should contact whom to figure out how interaction between the countries will work practically. It shouldn't have much of an impact on the game. I think next up is the meeting with the king?))

"Well," Minerva Fargrim replied, looking at her notes. "That seems about all. Right now most of what remains to be done is that which our subordinates and diplomats shall figure out, and report back to us for approval within a few days. Of course, there will be continuing issues and such for our nations to work on, but that is what the embassies will be for. My counterpart in the Royal Council, Gordon Briggs, who is the King's Foreign Advisor, has currently been working on seeking out suitable individuals for us to recommend to the King and the Senate to become an Ambassador to your nation. Generally we look for people who have experience in the land we'd be sending them too, but since no Tricilian has ever yet set foot in Cyrris, this is not exactly applicable. I'm hoping we'll have a clear favorite for you to meet yourself, but I cannot be sure.

"Anyways, it was an honor to meet with you today Lord-Ambassador Sunshower," Countess Fargrim said, rising, which Tystan likewise did. "From what I've heard today I have bright hopes that the future relations between our nations and peoples will be bright, amicable and, of course, lucrative". She gave the faintest hint of a small smile. "Now, I have a carriage waiting downstairs which will transport us to Dockmanor House, which is the residence which the King is currently awaiting you in. He has a tendency to spend time watching citizens go about their business from a large window in his study, which overlooks some of the docks".

With that Tystan and Minerva descended to the ground levels of a Ministry where a dignified but yet not overly-gaudy carriage with the Ministry's emblem emblazoned on it awaited them. They entered and the driver made way to Dockmanor House, the Foreign Minister occasionally coming out of her silence to remark on one scene or another.

The carriage pulled into a drive routed through the back gardens of the House, and stopped near the entrance, which two ceremonial guards flanked and in front of which stood a smartly dressed, amicable though almost-bald man who Minerva Fargrim indentified as Gordon Briggs, the Foreign Advisor. After exiting the carriage Tystan and the Advisor made their formal greetings.

"So, Mr. Briggs," Minerva said directly. "Shall I assume that the Lord-Ambassador here will be escorted up to the King's dockside study while you and I find a small quiet room to pour over possible Ambassadorial candidates?"

"No, actually," he replied. "For whatever reason or another, the King is currently in the inner throne room and we've been given the upper study, at least for the moment. You know how he is; he'll move around at a moments whim".

"Ah," Minerva replied. She turned to Tystan. "In any case then, one of these men will escort you to King Marcus". She gestured towards one of the servants which stood nearby. "And myself and the Advisor will part ways with you now. May you enjoy your meeting with his majesty". With that, she and the Advisor parted ways with him, heading upward, while he himself was escorted further along to a set of heavy wooden doors somewhere within the first floor. Opening the doors, the servant made a gesture for Tystan to enter, which he did, at which time the doors then closed behind him with a heavy thud.

Tystan looked around the room. It was dark--not so much in the sense that he couldn't see but all of the colors in the room were rather dark. It was in the interior of the House, meaning there were no windows. The room was paneled with what he judged to be an elegant wood of deep rich color. The floor was likewise of an intricate inlaid pattern, which he also judged to be of royal quality. It was rectangular, longer than it was wide. About halfway down the room (lengthwise) there was a heavy desk and chair; on the wall opposite a large stone fireplace in which a roaring fire crackled and burned. Chandeliers hung from the ceilings, flames lit inside of glass casings. Behind him, flanking the doors were two armchairs with a deep red fabric. On the far end of the room, he saw, was a risen platform, about one step up, on which stood an impressive throne of rich wood, the same deep red fabric and gold. On either side of the platform, although somewhat hidden into the panelling, Tystan could make out two doors. They were each emblazoned with the gold, long, almost snakelike image of what Tystan guessed were stylized representations of dragons (out of the dragons he'd seen while in the country, none had quite looked this way). And in the wall above the wall hung a tapestry which Tystan by now knew was emblazoned with the Royal Crest of King Marcus, which contained a variety of elements, the most prominent amongst them another large figure which he interpreted to be a dragon.

The one thing the room was missing, Tystan immediately noticed, was a King. There was really nowhere he could be that Tystan couldn't see; maybe he was just in another room and would arrive in a minute. In the meantime, Tystan walked slowly down the length of the room, closer examining it while he had the opportunity. When he got nearer to the throne, he noticed something. Sitting on the cushion of the chair, leaned up against the right armrest, was a small brass container. It was of Tricilian style, of course, but resembled something between a kettle and an oil lamp (picture for reference-- http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/664324 ... 9069.jpg-- I have almost an exact copy of this kettle, from where I get my inspiration). It was an odd thing to be lying around-- at least there.

Suddenly, without warning, smoke started to emerge from the container... just a wisp at first but then increasing and increasing into a thick cloud. Tystan jumped back. Were they trying to assassinate him, he thought in alarm. Had one of the spies in his entourage successfully masterminded a plan to kill him within the Tricilians own palace? Or had the Tricilians themselves masterminded such a plot? He was alarmed and prepared to bolt for the exit, until he noticed that the cloud of smoke wasn't expanding throughout the room, but was rather staying quite concentrated around the platform on which the throne stood. In fact, not only was it staying in place, it was actually beginning to congeal more and more into thick cloud right in front of the throne room. As Tystan looked on right before his eyes this cloud of smoke morphed itself until what ultimately emerged was a fully solid, fully physical human. Right away Tystan recognized that this figure was none other than King Marcus himself.

The King looked at him for a moment. The Ambassador did his best not to betray that he had been alarmed by the King's entrance. If he did show any signs, the King showed none himself of acknowledging them. He smiled. "Lord Tystan Sunshower, Chief Ambassador from the Kingdom of Cyrris. Let me take this moment to personally welcome you once again to the Kingdom of Tricily and to my own home here at Dockmanor. It is a pleasure to be able now to meet and talk to you personally". He stepped down from the platform and walked closer to Tystan. Like the Ulindian cultist only the day before, Tystan's eyes were momentarily drawn to the large black talisman which hung around the King's neck, on which a dragonian symbol carved in gold glowed brightly like fire.

(And here Tystan may make his own introductions, as well as preliminary questioning if he'd like. I plan on at least using some of Marcus' reply to expand upon the bottle scene--how that works exactly).

Also, I have a question of curiousity. In your letter to Ulinder where you described the social hierarchy, you mentioned that "children" were in essence untouchable. From what I am seeing at the school, can I assume that this applies only to adult night elves not harming children (as we're currently seeing a child-on-child power struggle as I type). I would guess that the child struggles wouldn't (usually, at least) escalate to murder, but I was simply curious.

Queen Arasene wrote:"Why don't we retire to a slightly more suitable place? As few as I have met, I am pretty sure that seamen have loose mouthworks, no offence, and not everyone needs know what we may or may not discuss. Although I will be willing to answer at least some of your questions as we go along." He let the men lead the way, silently ordering the undead turtle to await his return, not disturbing the docks or sailors. The turtle sunk like a stone, leaving no trace of itself in the dark waters.
"I met a pirate on the way here, you know, so I know what you are speaking of when you say they have a coarse language. Although I admit, it took him quite a while before he got his mouth open after spotting me on the high seas. Still, it might have been wise of me to cover my ears for the swell of swearwords he rained upon me before fleeing as fast as his ship managed. I still wonder what about me could have been so thoroughly scary." He chuckled at the memory of the bearded man sailing for his life.
At a tug from one of the men, Cruor spoke up again. "Oh yes, I almost forgot. My business in your lovely country, Director Vexus, is to explore, befriend and ally. Our most glorious leader, Malum Aeterna, decided that it was time for the Lost Country to become . . . unlost, making peace wherever it can."

"Ah, do not worry about it," Admiral Black said, assuming that the apologies about seamen were directed at him, though he was sure that Hindelbras' own men--construction workers, laborers and the like, were no more tight-lipped. They made their way into the half-finished Southern Customs House; although Hindelbras' own office was not much more than a few outer walls and dirty windowpanes, other parts of the building had been completed enough to look decently respectable; Amongst these were Director Vexus' own offices, which included a sitting parlor to which he now directed them. Hindelbras apologized to Cruor for the building's half-completed condition, explaining that at the moment the entire Strait was essentially a giant construction project, at the completion of which it would have the infrastructure to ensure that it was secure, controlled, and could be passed through in terms of customs and other such bureaucratic procedures with ease. As they settled into the armchairs, or, in the case of the slightly larger Cruor, the sofa, in Vexus' parlor, the conversation resumed.

"Ah," Hindelbras spoke up, when Cruor had explained his purpose there. "So in essence, you are a sort of Ambassador sent from your lands?" Another Ambassador? This was exciting. First there was the entourage from the East he had heard had shown up and arrived in the capital. Now he had a man, solitary, yes, but very respectful, showing up through the canal. It was almost too good to be a coincidence.

"I suppose you could say that, yes, in a way, I am," Cruor replied.

"That is very fascinating," Hindelbras said. "I think I speak for the three of us when I say that we would all be more than interested in learning about your lost country, and I'm sure that the Kingdom as a whole would like nothing more to befriend and ally. Our King, he is named Marcus, and our Senate have recently thought that our Kingdom should now reach beyond its borders more, with the very goals in fact which you yourself have mentioned to us. I think then that there exists a great opportunity for both of our peoples to benifit from mutual friendship".

"In terms of doing anything official," Director Vexus spoke up. "Although we are more than happy to entertain and host you here, despite our status as a work in progress, if you are looking to talk to our leaders then I would suggest that you set your sights for the capital of our kingdom, which is the fair city of Scargo". Director Vexus gestured to one of the walls of the room, on which hung a framed map of the Kingdom. "As you can see, we are near the upper tip of that large crescent, on the Southern shore of the Strait of Quaz. If you continue onto your journey you will enter the Plinian Sea. Scargo you can see marked on the map-- it is on the shore near the middle of the crescent. This is where our leaders reside and many, though not all, of our great wonders stand in that glorious city. You are most welcome to stay here for a while if you wish to rest, and relate to us your story, although if you do seek to continue to travel onwards into our nation, I think you will find many of your answers within that great metropolis".

sco wrote:“As I am sure you are aware our organisation has come under some unwelcome suspicions of late and as such our leader sees very few people. Could I, perhaps, pass along a message for you? If it is a message for his ears only then perhaps there is another way that we could arrange things more to your satisfaction.”

Lucas Severus Cadivia Alger looked the cultist in the face again. He seemed annoyed. Annoyed with a plan not going as desired; annoyed at being refused something he desired.

"I would assure you the stakes of the matter I wish to present are those of which I entrust only your leader to hear," the youthful Lord responded. "If I had the means or knowledge I would communicate directly with your god, but seeing as I currently cannot, his earthly disciple will have to stand in his place".

He thought of something, and he betrayed a slight smile. "It comes to my knowledge that very recently the Cult of Ulinder registered with the Ministry of Religious Affairs and even too had a meeting with our own King. While I am certain that your leader would not betray his secrecy by actually including himself in the registration, still, what would the public believe of such an act, of all of your organization, if so shortly after this seeming move of transparency their leader refused a meeting with a Lord of Tricily?" Here he was bluffing, but hoped it wouldn't show. The public would be more suspicious of him if they were aware of him being there now than they would of the Ulindians. He made sure to stress the word "Lord" in his last sentence, knowing that among the basic information they probably had learned about the Kingdom, that titles of Nobility were granted not on the basis of family but on the basis of merit... mostly, anyways.

He tried to be cordial again, hoping his request could be won on good graces. "What I wish to propose to your leader is something which has dramatic implications for the influence of your god in this land. It is something which I will not chance to be written down, or to be passed on through subordinates, as doing so may to myself pose a great personal risk. If it is any sign of trust though, that I may offer towards securing such a meeting, I can inform you that there is a chance that it may result in my joining your ranks. Your actual ranks, not those of a storefront such as this. My family is amongst the oldest and noblest lineages in this Kingdom, and I believe you would find such a meeting to your benifit. It would be a shame to have to seach elsewhere but of an order of such power".

sco wrote:Hey, I had an idea for something I’d like to try here but I thought that I should run it by everyone first. A while back there was a game on this forum called Forum Nation, which some of you played for a while. It died for a couple of reasons, the original creator disappeared, the action slowed down too much and, once I took over, because I didn’t prepare enough to keep it going. Basically the idea was to run a single fantasy nation as a council, voting on all actions with people sometimes getting more votes depending upon their role in the council, ie. Commander of the military would get two votes in matters related to war. What I’d like to do is create a new version of this game linked to this game, with things in each game effecting the other. I hope that this will both keep things moving in the other game and make for an interesting country in this game, unlike anything that’s really been done before. If you’d prefer I didn’t have any actual votes in the other game then I’d be happy to act as scribe or GM or whatever you want to call it but ideally I’d like to open it up to having players of this game on the council and rely on the council system and the integrity of the people playing this game to make sure that it remains as fair as possible, or perhaps people would have to abstain from matters relating to their own nation. I’d like people’s thoughts on this, whether they like it or think it shouldn’t be allowed and any ideas for how to improve it. If you’d like to check out the original game to get a bit of a feel for it I’ve included a link here.

I like it, I like it.

As you might remember, I played on that thread. I also mentioned playing on it that I ran a game like that before, which was fairly successful amongst those who played it. So I'd be willing to help develop it if enough people are interested, in terms of rules and gameplay and setup and such. There are a few different ways that it could be set up (which could both involve you playing or simply modding-- If it is going to be similar to this game you might as well play-- ODF does a good job of doing both here).

I like the idea of having it as one joint nation which is a part of the existing Fantasy Country world. It gives us an active world to be able to respond to, whereas with it independent we'd have to rely on someone making stuff up (like we had the mermaid problem and other such issues last time). Of course we would have to make sure that nobody used it to give their individual nation an advantage, and we'd have to ask people where to place it (for instance, Vieto might say that he would want it located near him, while ODF might say not to put it near him in a certain area as he wants to expand there, etc.)

Like this game, since it's largely a narrative, we'd be able to really self-govern for ourselves, although I'm supposing there would be more rules (council votes and such) and setup because it would in fact be a cooperative instead of us all doing our own thing.

So yeah, if people want to do it, I'd be more than willing to help develop, both in terms of the game itself and stuff we'd need to start the game out (a map of our new country I can do, as well as set up basic culture stuff and other such things)

Queen Arasene wrote:(Really, a timeline to see when significant historic events happened in relation to each other would be helpful.)

This is true. In part, I think our storyline should remain semi-undeveloped because it gives us the chance to develop our histories as we go (I've provided information about the start of my nation, but very little about what's followed after, or what happened before it). I'm still making some of it up.

But at the very least, charting what we already have, and determining where we cross paths within that info, would be helpful. It may even inspire us to fill in the remaining parts.

Various People wrote:"Yes, it is something of a hobby of mine. It's how I got the idea for the Terrinech, and sort of for my magic system."

"I’ve done somewhat similar things before, offline and I was a part of the original create your own country on this forum. It is something I like to do, although usually my countries are very different to my current one. That is one of the parts that I like most about it though, trying out different things and just seeing how it turns out."

"Yes, this is a hobby for me; I've played several role-playing games with a free world; though only a few where I played a country. Mostly role-playing with a single character. And I've also done some world-building not related to games."

Ah, well, you see, it is also for me. I've been doing these kinds of things since childhood. Drawing up maps of fantasy places, inventing characters associated with them and furthermore perpetuating stories, just as we are now (I'm at current a bit short on the map aspect). In fact, the notion of Sasan, which I've introduced currently only at a referential level, is one which I've carried down from many previous stories.

Lest others be mistaken, let it be known that we stand in the company of great men. Some, like JRR Tolkien, went on to achieve fame through their worlds (as well as others we don't remember as well. Austin Tappan Wright, esteemed professor and lawyer, wrote 2300 pages about the fictional land of Islandia, 1014 edited down pages of which were published as an instant classic posthumeously in 1942).

Collectively, this hobby is sometimes referred to as Worldbuilding (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldbuilding). Sometimes child psychologists like to condescend and call it a "paracosm".

Whatever you decide to call it, it's fun.

I've been considering for a bit now trying to form a "Worldbuilders society" in which people could discuss said hobby, share their creations or other such sorts.

It might be interesting. The maps, at the very least, are fun.

MilitaryGradeCustard

Postby MilitaryGradeCustard » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

Veieto Wrote:
Disease rates are medium-low in Natechi, as the Feheron can heal (as something of an intuition thing), the Terrinech tend to be a little resistant to diseases, and the cites have access to lots of clean water, cleanish cities, and healthy food. Most of the diseased populations would be underground (literally), living in industrial areas, or live near marshes and jungles. Leprosy rates are low, but not curable. Rats tend to be on the low side, as dwarves tend to be fond of cats (both house cats and larger cats, such as leapords)

So i may have a slight following in the undergroud indultrial areas of your cities but no significant or influential figures? and unlikely to get any major influx as you could cure most natural ailments (though ones i spread tend to be magic resistant so only high mages would be able to cure them)

Djehutynakht wrote:
I wanted to ask a general question to everyone around here. Can I assume that this is a hobby that everyone here likes? Creating fictional countries and developing cultures and stories and such for them? Is this something people have done before, either on the internet or on pen and paper or with friends or such? I was just wondering what everyones thoughts and opinions were.

Same realy. am more of a story riter realy create characters normaly as i am an artisit (you can see my fan art at DTrigger on deviant art or Orginistart on tumblr) never realy created a full country before. a lot fo orginisations and such and tons of species. mainly deamon varients and the like. but it is somthing i do regularly.

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:"You are most welcome to stay here for a while if you wish to rest, and relate to us your story, although if you do seek to continue to travel onwards into our nation, I think you will find many of your answers within that great metropolis".

"While I would love to remain here and watch as your work on the Strait progresses, my task is to conference with the highest-ranking person within any country I am to encounter. So while I greatly enjoy speaking with you, I fear that my current instructions prevent me from spending much more time with you three lovely men. However, it seems to be getting late and I would greatly appreciate a place to rest for the night"
- - - - - - - - - -
Djehutynakht wrote:This is true. In part, I think our storyline should remain semi-undeveloped because it gives us the chance to develop our histories as we go (I've provided information about the start of my nation, but very little about what's followed after, or what happened before it). I'm still making some of it up.

But at the very least, charting what we already have, and determining where we cross paths within that info, would be helpful. It may even inspire us to fill in the remaining parts.

My sentiments exactly. I'd even volunteer to do some of this.

(Upon looking again, it seems I mixed up Havender and New Wilville.)

Return to “Forum Games”