Text Based MMO's (MUDS!)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Cadvin

Re: Text Based MMO's (MUDS!)

Postby Cadvin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:21 am UTC

I love text based MUDs, but I appear to be stuck trying to find one. Does anyone know of some where you can advance your skills/level without combat, and with an innovative and unique magic system? (Not this "magic missile" "acid arrow" "arcane shield" stuff.)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:32 am UTC

(sigh)
I suggest DR. It's got one fully non-combat class, and a two that can make due without combat. Advancement of skills is action based; you get better at picking locks by picking locks, not by killing 100 trolls and putting stat points in lockpicking.

The magic system is guild specific, and based on four main skills (Primary Magic, Harness, Power Perception and Arcana) and one combat related skill (Targeting).

All magic guilds have access to 'BOLT', which is a shard of basic energy, but each guild has some pretty unique and awesome spells.
E.g.,Warrior Mages can summon invisible whips of Aether (most damaging:mana point spell in the game), brand enemies with a Fiery Rune that periodically summons a flaming Lion to claw at them (pretty sweet), and wrap their bodies in whirling shards of ice.
Moon Mages can telekinetically throw items at their opponents, summons sharp ropes of shadows to sever limbs, or send a bolt of unstable teleportation energy that causes whatever it hits to randomly teleport away (very gruesome).
Clerics have the standard Harm Evil, but really max out with a spell that summons a holy Unicorn to charge and stomp the undead, and another that involves summoning the infernal flames of Ushnish to burn away non-believers (damage from below).
Necromancers are a new guild, and have a spell that invisibly rends opponents that can be cast from hiding (very evil), and a spell where the mage swipes a glom of blood from their body and flicks it at enemies... Where it explodes. Horribly.

I dunno, it's all sort of under the same mechanic (Slice, Impact or Puncture damage) with a few modifications, but it's pretty neat. Magic is unique guild to guild
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Postby sillybear25 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:37 am UTC

Well, the aforementioned Discworld MUD has plenty to do outside combat, though, like most RPGs, combat is still the focus. The magic isn't terribly innovative, though there's a pretty good variety of spells (of the spells out of the beginner's spellbook, only 4 of 15 are combat-related, though the usefulness of some of the others is debatable...).

The main draw of it for me, though, is the tree-based skill system: Under fighting skills, for example, you have the general "fighting" skill, which must be advanced to a certain (rather low...) level before you can start training more specific skills, like melee, ranged, or hand-to-hand combat. However, you don't have to advance specific skills; you can advance the general skill (at a much higher cost than advancing a more specific one) in order to advance all of the specific skills within it.

EDIT: By the way, the available classes are fighter, wizard, witch, priest/priestess, thief, and assassin. Of those, fighters are the only class focused entirely around pure combat; thieves, witches, wizards, and priests/priestesses can get by without ever killing anything AFAIK. Individual skills are trained either though using them (the TaskMaster system awards levels in skills randomly, with the chance of a level-up decreasing as your level increases) or by spending money and experience points (which are given out for basically anything that uses a skill, or even for idling) to get training from your guild (not a player organization; guilds are basically the player classes: the thieves' guild, assassin's guild, witches' guild, various fighters' organizations, and various wizards' universities). You can also get training from other players, or even yourself (!?) for free, but at a higher xp cost.

Once wizards graduate, they get to choose an order, which determines their magic specialization, and the gameplay of priests/priestesses varies depending on their chosen god; they can range from a smiting battle-cleric to a healer to... well, whatever you would call a devotee of Gufnork, God of Fluff... That's the other thing you should know; being based on the Discworld universe, a good deal of it is very tongue-in-cheek. A pretty good system nonetheless, though.
Last edited by sillybear25 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This space intentionally left blank.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:48 am UTC

Maybe I should be more specific; the non-combat classes, Empaths and Traders and maybe Moon Mages, each do their own thing.
Empaths are healers, and advance mostly by healing other people, practicing magic, and some other basics. Wounds are body location specific (hands, arms, head, neck, chest, abdomen, back, legs, tail in the case of a few races), and come in fresh, scar, external and internal varieties. Empaths can summon Guardian Spirits, which are fairly competent hunters, so can spend time in combat area's if they choose to.
Traders, if they were so inclined, could never do anything combat related. They advance by practice lore skills and plying the trade routes, getting a few neat bonuses to selling things and the like. I find Traders to be a fairly boring option, considering how much money can be made hunting, and how little depth the game economy has beyond fencing forged gear.
Moon Mages advance by practicing magic and survivals. You CAN get away with not hunting as a Moon Mage, it's just a waste.
"Combat" skills are specific as well; you don't train 'melee', you train Light/Medium/Heavy/Twohanded Edged/Blunt. Shield. Evasion. Parry. Cloth/Leather/LightChain/HeavyChain/LightPlate/HeavyPlate. There are actually something like 22 weapon categories to choose from. Combat maneuvers are slice, jab, feint, chop, sweep, bash, and there are also brawling maneuvers, each doing different amounts of damage and differently affecting fatigue, balance, and position.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

LockeZ

Squaresoft MUD

Postby LockeZ » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:42 pm UTC

Hey guys, this is basically me telling people who like old Squaresoft games that I think they should try an amateur game, I hope that's cool. The rules didn't say anything against advertising, and online games are more fun when more people are playing them, so here I am. Parts of this are from the game's official description and parts are just my impressions.

The Unofficial Squaresoft MUD is a free online text-based game based on the worlds and combat systems of a lot of the most popular Squaresoft games. UOSSMUD has a class system based off of Final Fantasy Tactics, and includes advanced classes from multiple other Squaresoft games. It has incredibly game-accurate worlds based upon Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and Final Fantasies 5, 6, and 7.

One of the things UOSSMUD is really good at is recreating the original games in an online format - the sense of familiarity when playing through it is amazing. What I really appreciate is that, with the overwhelming nostalgia the game has going for it, I'd probably be okay if the game wasn't really a good game on its own terms. But it is. Some of the best gameplay systems from various Squaresoft games are combined together in really interesting ways. A good example is the fur shop, which is sort of a combination of Secret Hunt from Final Fantasy Tactics, the synthesis shop from Kingdom Hearts, and the licenses from Final Fantasy 12. The game is really fun overall.

UOSSMUD also has a mission system where players can go through story events which mirror those of the original games - you get to use the Sword of Mana to seal Mana power away from the Empire, travel through time to stop Lavos from destroying the world in 1999 AD, and follow Sephiroth across the world. The events in the missions play out like cut scenes from the original games.

If a large, highly customized MUD, now over 10 years old and still being expanded, with a class system and worlds based on some of the most popular console RPGs seems interesting to you, feel free to log on and check it out. Visit the website at uossmud.sandwich.net for information about logging on.

Actually, the rules do. Forum Rule #3 - no links until you have at least five posts. Just because we're in High Culture doesn't mean the rest of the rules don't apply. -ST

Sleipner

Re: Squaresoft MUD

Postby Sleipner » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:53 am UTC

LockeZ wrote:Actually, the rules do. Forum Rule #3 - no links until you have at least five posts. Just because we're in High Culture doesn't mean the rest of the rules don't apply. -ST

The best part is, he was only three other posts away from being able to plug it.

Regardless, I found myself getting very much into Aetolia a while back. While mostly combat-oriented, there's a strong contingency of roleplayers as well, including actual self-run guilds (my close friend got one of them split into two, and ruled one of them) and procedurally-generated history. It's also very lenient on 'bashing' bots, so the grind isn't nearly as grind-y. Still full of mutant crabs, though. Lots and lots of mutant crabs.

Can't say I recommend Aetolia, since it is and always has been home to 20% noobs, 30% serious players, and 50% trolls/douchebags. The game itself is really quite good, but the best aspects are mainly player-generated, and that part is pretty damn fucked up (Cock, shit, piss, and bitch. Swearing is fun, kids!). Thought I'd mention it if anyone's interested, but I'm saying right now: I am not advertising it. I recommend you steer clear if you can't handle a cavalcade of smacktards, but if you can enjoy the actual mechanics, by all means go ahead.

Sleipner, out!

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:41 pm UTC

I'll have to check it out. Combat oriented muds are my favorite, especially if there's a fairly intuitive pvp aspect to it. I find myself not really liking a lot of quest oriented muds or rp muds unless I know someone who's already been down the road.

thorvoquien

Postby thorvoquien » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:36 pm UTC

Has anyone found any primarily non-combat focused MUDs?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

If you read the thread, you'll see that I specifically mention Dragonrealms as having significant non-combat options.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

thorvoquien wrote:Has anyone found any primarily non-combat focused MUDs?

As I recall, at least 4 professions (Empath, Trader, Cleric, Moon Mage) in DragonRealms can progress in level without ever entering combat. I wouldn't say the game is non-combat focused, though.
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:55 pm UTC

Clerics are a combat guild. But Traders, Moon Mages, and Empaths can all progress without ever killing anything or touching a weapon or armor.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:07 pm UTC

Argh. I knew I was forgetting something. I need to make my necromancer.

thorvoquien

Postby thorvoquien » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:12 am UTC

I guess i should rephrase that then, MUDs where the game as a whole is not combat based, not combat based games with a non combat class or two.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:13 am UTC

thorvoquien wrote:I guess i should rephrase that then, MUDs where the game as a whole is not combat based, not combat based games with a non combat class or two.

You might want to look into MUSHes rather than MUDs.

natraj

Postby natraj » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

Woah hey this thread is old but I'm resurrecting it! Not for MUDs but for MUSHes. Is anyone here into those? I do not mean the combat focused kind where you kill mobs and level up (although maaaan did I spend SO MUCH TIME at these in middle/high school) but the roleplay-focused sort where you are doing more of collaborative storytelling.

I have a lot of love for MUDs but in my (text-based) RP have always leaned more towards the statless kind. No levels, no nothing, just a lot of writing characters in interesting worlds.

I recently created a MUSH for the first time ever, after looong years of playing MUDs, coding on MUDs, and then playing rp-focused MOOs and MUXes and MUSHes. It's statless, X-Men based, very character/plot/story-focused. If anyone is into RPbased MU*ing you should check it out! http://xmenrevolution.com/; the logs page is full of... well, RP logs! of the sort of activity that happens there.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Return to “Gaming”