Jester Mafia - Game Over: Lurking Clowns!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Adam H

Jester Mafia - Game Over: Lurking Clowns!

Postby Adam H » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

Jester Mafia
Modded by Adam H and Diemo

Adam’s Standard RulesTM:
Spoiler:
  1. You cannot post in this thread unless you are alive and included in the player list.
  2. You cannot talk about this game outside of this thread, unless in an appropriately titled spoiler in the discussion thread.
  3. You cannot edit your posts.
  4. You cannot quote private messages from the mod.
  5. You cannot lurk.
  6. You cannot ruin the game for other players.
  7. You cannot say, imply, or pretend that a hammer vote has been cast unless it is obvious from counting the public votes in the thread.
  8. If you break any of these rules, you will lose, be removed from the game, and shame will be heaped on you.

Game Specific Rules:
Spoiler:
Deadline and Voting:
  1. Players cannot vote for themselves.
  2. You can unvote before changing votes, but you don’t have to. Only your most recent vote will count.
  3. Once a player has received the majority of votes (“hammer”), that player is dead. The day ends immediately and players cannot talk or change votes.
  4. Every player has a single vote and there are no vote-rigging mechanics of any kind.
  5. Votes will reset if there is a daykill or modkill. A deadline extension would be given as needed.
  6. The voting mechanics may or may not change at the beginning of each day. The voting rules will be made very clear in each start-of-day post.
  7. The mod will give the players a deadline for the end of each day. Once the deadline has been reached, players may still post and change votes (unless hammer has been reached). However, once the mod announces the end of day, all votes are finalized and players may not post.
  8. When the day ends, one player will be lynched. Tiebreakers vary by day and will be given at the beginning of every day.
  9. Deadlines are bankable. Basically, whatever time is leftover between the hammer and the posted deadline will carry over to the next day.

Setup:
  1. There are between 1 and 3 mafia in the game. The mafia all know each other and can privately chat at all times. All other players are town – there are no independents.
  2. Your alignment will never change.
  3. Blanc = scum, auguste = town. I might use those terms interchangeably. Or not.
  4. Mafia wins if all members of the mafia are removed from the game, by lynch or any other kill. Members of the mafia want to be killed.
  5. Town wins if at any point there are less than two townies remaining alive in the game. Townies want to be killed.
  6. There are no simultaneous kills in the game, and the game ends immediately when one faction wins.
  7. Modkills result in the player losing, so this is NOT a valid strategy…
  8. If all living players on a team (either mafia or town) PM the mod saying that they want to concede, the game will end.

Sample game scenario: if there are three players left, there must be 2 town and 1 scum. For the scum to win, both townies must vote for the scum; for the townies to win, both townies must vote for each other. Players will not be allowed to withhold their votes - this is the reason for “Deadline and Voting Rule #6” which allows me to adjust the voting mechanics as needed.

Roles:
  1. The mod will never lie to the players, but he may tell slightly misleading truths (or not!).
  2. All roles are sane and do exactly what they say, unless the role PM states that there are other possibilities (e.g. a cop may be told that they are either sane or insane).
  3. There are no roles which necessitate the existence of certain other roles.
  4. Players with targeting abilities can target themselves unless stated otherwise in their role PM.
  5. There is no anti-claiming mechanic (other than scum learning the townie power roles, etc).
  6. Roles and factions will be revealed immediately upon death.
  7. If there is a listener, relevant chatting groups will be told that there is one.
  8. In order to balance the game, some players may have received information regarding the setup that is not usually given out. Trust no one!

Sample Role PM:
Vanilla Town: You are a simple townie.
Power: None – you have no power other than your vote.
Win Condition: All members of town win when there are less than two townies remaining alive in the game.

I tried to write the rules in such a way that I can use this template in future games. Therefore, not every unusual rule necessarily applies to this game. Don’t try to read me – you WILL get burned. :P

Not to beat a dead horse, but this might be worth repeating (no one ever reads the rules anymore): every player wants to lynch or kill members of their team, and you cannot vote for yourself. All players should act like town, and in general you want to lynch one of the towniest players.

Players:
1. Freezeblade
2. UniqueScreenname
3. bluebambue
4. Elmach
5. mpolo

Role PMs will be sent out soonish have been sent out and the game begins!
Last edited by Adam H on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:30 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
-Adam

Adam H

Re: Jester Mafia - D1: Happy Clowns!

Postby Adam H » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

Start of Day 1

“Dance, fools, dance!” King Adam XVII gestures wildly with his scepter, goading his five court jesters into a cavorting frenzy.

“We have GOT to get out of here,” one of the jesters mutters as he flails his limbs wildly in an attempt at entertainment.

The other clowns melodramatically nod in agreement and start talking logistics right in the middle of their routine. “The only way out of this castle is that high-up window in our quarters. We’ll have to boost each other out, and they’ll be no way out for the last one.” “We’ll just have to promise that we’ll come back later for the last one.” “But what about the
blancs?” Blanc. The word sends shivers down the spine of every decent auguste within hearing distance. If the blancs escaped the castle . . . then there would be blancs running riot, wouldn’t there be? No one wants that!

“We’ll just make sure not to let them get out. That’s all.”
Easier said than done, you think to yourself.

“Dance, fools! DANCE!”

For today, everyone starts off voting for another player. You cannot unvote or vote for yourself; you can only change votes.

Votals:
Freezeblade - 1 (mpolo)
USN - 1 (Freezeblade)
bluebambue - 1 (USN)
Elmach - 1 (bluebambue)
mpolo - 1 (Elmach)

5 alive, 3 to hammer. Accidental hammers will count - no exceptions!

The deadline is in exactly 2 weeks. The base deadlines for D2 and D3 will each be 24 hours. If you hammer today before the deadline, then all the time you have left in the day will be added to the deadline for D2.
-Adam

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:52 pm UTC

I'm guessing there are 2 scum. With either 1 scum a single mislynch would end the game. With 3 scum they have control of the lynch D1, though I suppose they couldn't be too obvious about it without showing their hand.

I do wonder about NK balance. With such a small game, having a NK seems to overpower scum.

bluebambue

Postby bluebambue » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

What is today's tiebreaker?
If all players request a day end early, will it?

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

bluebambue wrote:What is today's tiebreaker?
No comment.
bluebambue wrote:If all players request a day end early, will it?
No. Hammering is the only way to end the day early.
-Adam

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

I've confirmed with Mpolo that he is actually playing. Sorry for the confusion. Now stop PMing me about it! :P
-Adam

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

Hello. Here I am! Should I start telling some jokes now?

Why can't some poisonous snakes lay eggs in the desert?

They're adders — they need logs to multiply!
Image <-- Evil experiment

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

bluebambue wrote:I'm guessing there are 2 scum. With either 1 scum a single mislynch would end the game. With 3 scum they have control of the lynch D1, though I suppose they couldn't be too obvious about it without showing their hand.

Also because town needs less than 2 players alive to win.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:05 am UTC

So… we need to lynch two townies before we lynch two scum (assuming that we have a 3-2 split, which seems likely).

We don't know if scum has a nightkill, as far as I can see — if they did, they would likely kill one of their own on N1, putting us at MYLO. Hence, I suspect that if there are any kills around, they are in the hands of us uninformed townies. But I wouldn't be suprised if this were all lynching.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:they would likely kill one of their own on N1, putting us at MYLO. Hence, I suspect that if there are any kills around, they are in the hands of us uninformed townies. But I wouldn't be suprised if this were all lynching.

This is pretty much my thought on the subject. I really can't see, balance-wise, how mafia can have a night-kill. Of course, balance in a jester-game might be a moot point.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

bluebambue

Postby bluebambue » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

Questions time:

1. How do you think the Jester mechanic is going to affect gameplay?
2. How aggressive do you think we should hammer so as to save deadline time? Will more time be useful D1, D2, or D3?
3. Does anyone disagree with the theory that, most likely, there are two scum and no NK?

My Answers:
1. Lynching the towniest people first is going to increase distrust down the road. We're never going to have someone who everyone agrees is likely town for more than a day.
2. I think we shouldn't worry about it too much. D2 is likely going to be the longest, but if we need the discussion D1 we should take the time. I suspect D3 will not involve too much discussion.
3. I do not, but we of course need to keep an eye out for contradictory information.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

bluebambue wrote:Questions time:

2. How aggressive do you think we should hammer so as to save deadline time? Will more time be useful D1, D2, or D3?
3. Does anyone disagree with the theory that, most likely, there are two scum and no NK?

My Answers:
1. I honestly think we're gonna have a lot more random lynches. Town tells are nowhere near as convincing as scum tells are, and so it will be hard to truly convince people that you are town.
2. I think we should take time as we need it. I'm not concerned about the length of any deadline, and I'm not so strategic as to figure out how to make time most useful.
3. If there are any NKs, they'll be in town's hands, but it seems unnecessary.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

Questions Time! wrote:1. How do you think the Jester mechanic is going to affect gameplay?

1. I actually think that this will affect gameplay far less than one would assume by first looking at it.
2. I doubt there will be much discussion on D3, D2 will probably have a bit, but I really wouldn't be too worried about it.
3. As I said earlier, I really doubt there is a mafia NK, although I don't know if I buy the 2 scum theory.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

Questions time:

1. I agree that reads are going to be even harder than normal. The one that looked townie today is likely to look suspicious tomorrow.
2. I think with as few of us as there are, we should just use the time as we need it. (I would prefer to get all the way through the game before disappearing, of course.)
3. Since I kind of proposed that theory, I guess I agree with it.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:58 am UTC

Are alignment details revealed right after death or at the beginning of the next day?

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:17 am UTC

Questions time wrote:1. How do you think the Jester mechanic is going to affect gameplay?

1. It'll be interesting, as we have to lynch townie-looking people, but if we lynch all the good players, we end up with bad players who will lose twenty dollars and my self respect to scum.
2. I think time will be most useful D2; D1 we have no information, and D3 is probably too near endgame.
3. 1 scum seems too unbalanced for scum, 2 seems fine, 3 also fine because they actually can't control the vote; if they choose a town, then they lose, if they choose a scum, they need a town to vote as well. NK doesn't seem like it could work at all.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Are alignment details revealed right after death or at the beginning of the next day?
Right after death. The lynched player's role will be revealed at the beginning of night.
-Adam

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

Does anyone have anything they want to claim? I daresay town may be overpowered here, in that actually wanting to die, we don't have much reason to hide things.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

I am a cop, but will only be useful in that respect after N2. (I'm 50% sane/insane, decided by random.org before the game, but I'm allowed to target myself to find out which.)

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

I was kinda wondering whether I was the only one of those around. I have the same deal. The reason why I didn't claim straightaway is because I thought if there are NKs on scum's side they might try to silence me, but I think it's better said. In theory we should coordinate, but I'm concerned about redirectors or roleblockers. I'll try to think of something where they won't at least absolutely know where we're going, but I'm not very creative on that front.

bluebambue

Postby bluebambue » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

I'm with USN in that scum may have a re-director or roleblock, so I'm a little confused as to why claiming now has a benefit. It will allow any scum PR to better choose targets. Especially since the cops won't be useful until N2 at best, I don't see why claiming now yields any benefit for town.

FOS on USN for fishing for claims

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:03 am UTC

I did it so we'd have a better idea of who to kill. Honestly, the cop powers are super underpowered. By the time we'd have a useful result, it's about 50/50 whether that person will still be alive or not, depending on what NK setup we have. Even if we can't get good results, we can help with town.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:04 am UTC

EBWOP: help with lynching town.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:42 am UTC

The fact that USN is claiming the same power I did is a sort of weak townie ping. But very easy to fake, so I don't want to stake everything on suggesting lynching her and me for the win. At least yet.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

Nobody wants to put down any votes huh?

I think that the claimed power, a maybe sane/insane cop, could easily be on either side of the fence, if only to cause more confusion/speculation. Balance wise, placing one cop on the scum side and one on the town side seems logically sound to me. Unfortunately this does not point to which player is more/less townie, and Meta may well be the main voting play on this day.

bluebambue

Postby bluebambue » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

Why would cop be useful to scum, freezeblade? In a simple set up like this they are guaranteed to already know alignment.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:15 am UTC

Are sanities revealed on death?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:11 am UTC

freezeblade wrote:Nobody wants to put down any votes huh?

Technically, everybody has a vote down. :P

I'm having a harder time deciding what to do, knowing that any vote I place could be turned instantly into a wagon. With one vote already there, wherever I move my vote, scum can snipe a lynch if I'm wrong.

I am tempted to just vote USN and see what happens, but will hold off a while…

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Are sanities revealed on death?

Yes.
-Adam

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

I suppose it doesn't matter. If we were on the same side of the coin, we could have the same sanity. I don't care if you vote for me. Do you care if I vote for you?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

Well, we kind of want our teammates to die, and you're my best guess. Or we can kill me off first… Whatever.

Vote: UniqueScreenName

bluebambue

Postby bluebambue » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

I wish we had more content from freezeblade and elmach, I'm having a tough time getting a read on those two without some form of content. I am also wary of voting for one of you two based solely on the fact that you've claimed townie powers. Especially USN, as I still feel like she was fishing.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

Votals:
USN - 2 (Freezeblade, mpolo)
bluebambue - 1 (USN)
Elmach - 1 (bluebambue)
mpolo - 1 (Elmach)
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

Unvote
Vote: mpolo

As far as me fishing goes,
mpolo wrote:(I'm 50% sane/insane, decided by random.org before the game, but I'm allowed to target myself to find out which.)
This doesn't make it clear whether mpolo was told there was a sane and insane cop and random.org randomized those roles or whether it was truly a 50/50 chance independent of another cop out there. Then I said
UniqueScreenname wrote:If we were on the same side of the coin, we could have the same sanity.
I made a distinction based on my role PM.

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:38 am UTC

So sorry, had bad internet yesterday.

I, too, am 50% sane/ 50% insane cop. If all of this is true, then three town + two scum seems legit, as is said before, and blue and freeze are the two scum.

However, I think it is very likely that one of us is scum, and they will hammer. After all, it's not like the scum could have missed such an obvious play. I, thus, will move my vote away from mpolo, as if this is true, he is 50% likely scum. Not sure yet.

Unvote
Vote: bluebambue

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:38 am UTC

EBWOP:

Wait, if blue is scum, he can be hammered right now.

Unvote
Vote: Freezeblade

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:06 am UTC

The voting in this is pretty nasty. If the rule doesn't change on D3, then scum has a huge advantage (they can hammer on their first vote with 100% certainty, while town can hammer on the first vote with uncertainty). While the door is open for a rule change, we should try to get two townies on D1 and D2.

I'm feeling quite good about my vote at this point, as it has gone overnight without a hammer. Elmach is either scum who wanted to avoid hammering town, or cautious town. Unfortunately, I don't have enough data to settle this.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:07 am UTC

Votals:
USN - 2 (Freezeblade, mpolo)
Freezeblade - 1 (Elmach)
Elmach - 1 (bluebambue)
mpolo - 1 (USN)
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:26 am UTC

Elmach wrote:Wait, if blue is scum, he can be hammered right now.
She

I thought her current avatar made that pretty easy to remember. :p
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:29 am UTC

BoomFrog?! Where did you come from?

Return to “Mafia”