Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

Thanks Wednesday.
Doogly is at least someone I can count on to almost never be more than 1 mile away from Tufts.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

Mass Emergency Management Agency is saying that they're responding to reports of other devices other places along the route. Here's hoping they're chasing false alarms.

Still have cell phone service here in Somerville.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

Doogly and his girlfriend are accounted for, as are Randall and his wife.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Here's some resources if you're looking for people in Boston: http://pervocracy.tumblr.com/post/48063 ... n-marathon

Edit: yeah, cell service is reportedly shut down in Boston, but I still have service here at home.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Doogly and his girlfriend are accounted for, as are Randall and his wife.

Finally the information the forum actually cares about.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

Yep, service was only hit in the city and immediately surrounding areas, which includes most of Cambridge, Brighton and the like but excludes Somerville and Medford. I'm good in my little corner of Somerville meets Arlington meets Cambridge meets every other town on t-mobile, so.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

Ormurinn wrote:Why bomb runners? I don't get it - even the WTC or London Tube are arguably economic targets. This is really affecting me in a way these kinds of stories usually dont.
Is the Boston Marathon covered live? The bomber(s) may have been hoping that the blasts would be broadcast on live TV to frighten people sitting at home as well as the people there. There are other sporting events that get higher ratings, but they tend to be in arenas and stadiums with security, not public streets.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

It's covered so live that we had on the coverage of the finish line in my office's lobby, and their cameras were pointed right at the explosions when they happened. It's like the biggest Boston event each year. It's international. So yes- it's all about exposure.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

NBC's TV broadcast reported that the incident at the JFK library has been confirmed to be a fire unrelated to the bombings.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:
Wednesday wrote:Belial and I are fine, I am seriously shaken. I worked across the street from the second bomb that went off. A friend of mine is missing, and all cell service in Boston has been shut down, I assume because of police suspicions of triggering devices.

I hope your friend is safe.

She is, we just got word.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

Damn :-(

Is it certain that this was in fact a bombing, and not, say, an accident like a gas leak or something? The Dutch news is just talking about 'explosions', which could be anything. Though two at the same time seems to me an accident unlikely.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

It's been confirmed that they were caused by explosive devices. Boston PD also located and disabled two other devices.

Definitely no accident. Considering the timing and placement of the explosions it would be a hell of a coincidence if it had been.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

Damn ;-(
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

Well fuck. I know that logically there is no reason to feel fearful, safe in my home on the other side of the country away from population centers, but it's still fucking disturbing.
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

Shit. After all the families that were harassed and threatened after Sandy Hook, it just might be.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:

Shit. After all the families that were harassed and threatened after Sandy Hook, it just might be.

No, you don't make unsubstantiated crap like that. Wait for it.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

I didn't say it was, I just think it would make sense. Could be an Islamist. Could be a right-wing extremist. Could be a left-wing extremist. Could just be a sociopath. In the absence of anything official, we try to make sense of it by tossing theories about and discussing them and then perhaps dismissing them.

MSNBC is reporting that one of the dead was an eight-year-old.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Dame Not-Bob

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

I'm glad that all the forumites seem to be ok. This is a terrible, terrible thing to have happened.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

roband

Postby roband » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

That picture of the guy in the wheelchair.. I can't even imagine.

Unrelated, but today was the anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster - I was close to tears 12 hours ago and I'm back there now.
I hope that guy in custody is the one who did it and I hope they make him hurt.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

The news was on the tv at work all day. I felt sick to my stomach watching the footage.

My first though was domestic, Boston being very left wing a right wing extremist could of done it or even a left wing extremist hoping to blame tea party or the like. Islamic extremists generally target better areas and symbols of western culture. Lone crazy person seems unlikely too, this looks like something that required a bit of planning.

Regardless of the motivations the bomb maker had to be American because they were too incompetent. Several undetonated devices and a relatively low kill count kind of support this. Most Americans don't know how to make bombs properly. Overseas terrorists, they have more experience.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

WyldStallyns

Postby WyldStallyns » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:Regardless of the motivations the bomb maker had to be American because they were too incompetent. Several undetonated devices and a relatively low kill count kind of support this. Most Americans don't know how to make bombs properly. Overseas terrorists, they have more experience.

There are plenty of Americans with the know-how to make bombs. The bomb maker could be ex-military for all we know. I'm hopping the police find out more information soon.
"I give the Internet credit for everything good that has happened since 1969." - Bob Metcalfe, inventor of Ethernet.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I'm glad that all the forumites seem to be ok. This is a terrible, terrible thing to have happened.
Seconded.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:
Angua wrote:I'm glad that all the forumites seem to be ok. This is a terrible, terrible thing to have happened.
Seconded.

Thirded. I'm about an hour west of Boston, and I had some friends who were in Boston today. Luckily they weren't there for the marathon, and I'm glad they're all back and accounted for.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

Rushed to the forums after waking up and getting news. I really hope everyone and their families and friends are okay.

Man, that's really scary. It almost looks like something out of a movie.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

WyldStallyns wrote:
Fire Brns wrote:Regardless of the motivations the bomb maker had to be American because they were too incompetent. Several undetonated devices and a relatively low kill count kind of support this. Most Americans don't know how to make bombs properly. Overseas terrorists, they have more experience.

There are plenty of Americans with the know-how to make bombs. The bomb maker could be ex-military for all we know. I'm hopping the police find out more information soon.
I meant in terms of anyone with motivation to commit a bombing lacks discipline and formal education in the engineering and chemistry aspects of it. Most ex military have enough discipline and sense of honor to not pull this crap. McVeigh is the only American I can think of who had every device he built go off and that was only because it was one big bomb.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_ ... tweetembed
Reports of Marathon Runners that crossed finish line and continued to run to Mass General Hospital to give blood to victims #PrayforBoston

Some marathon runners went to the hospital as they finished to donate blood to victims. I can't imagine doing that after 26 miles...
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=NBCSN&tw_i=323902959257808896&tw_p=tweetembed
Reports of Marathon Runners that crossed finish line and continued to run to Mass General Hospital to give blood to victims #PrayforBoston

Some marathon runners went to the hospital as they finished to donate blood to victims. I can't imagine doing that after 26 miles...

It's just straight up badassery.
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:I meant in terms of anyone with motivation to commit a bombing lacks discipline and formal education in the engineering and chemistry aspects of it. Most ex military have enough discipline and sense of honor to not pull this crap. McVeigh is the only American I can think of who had every device he built go off and that was only because it was one big bomb.

Wasn't the Colorado theater shooter from last year in a PhD program? I don't think you can really rule out smart, educated people being violently mentally ill and there must be tens of thousands of documented terrorists who were well educated and disciplined.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

Metaphysician wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=NBCSN&tw_i=323902959257808896&tw_p=tweetembed

It's just straight up badassery.

True heroism.
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

WyldStallyns

Postby WyldStallyns » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:55 pm UTC

Wow... I'm surprised they even let them donate. I know its an emergency and everything, but it doesn't seem healthy to get drained a pint of blood after doing something as physically demanding as running a marathon. I'm no doctor though, so I could be way off.

It's amazing that they did that though. After running twenty-six miles they keep going in order to help other people.

Metaphysician wrote:It's just straight up badassery.
Shepherdess wrote:True heroism.

Both perfect descriptions.
"I give the Internet credit for everything good that has happened since 1969." - Bob Metcalfe, inventor of Ethernet.

MartianInvader

Postby MartianInvader » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:06 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:
Fire Brns wrote:I meant in terms of anyone with motivation to commit a bombing lacks discipline and formal education in the engineering and chemistry aspects of it. Most ex military have enough discipline and sense of honor to not pull this crap. McVeigh is the only American I can think of who had every device he built go off and that was only because it was one big bomb.

Wasn't the Colorado theater shooter from last year in a PhD program? I don't think you can really rule out smart, educated people being violently mentally ill and there must be tens of thousands of documented terrorists who were well educated and disciplined.

Also, the unabomber had a PhD in math, something like six published papers, and an assistant professorship.
Let's have a fervent argument, mostly over semantics, where we all claim the burden of proof is on the other side!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:19 am UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
WyldStallyns wrote:

I meant in terms of anyone with motivation to commit a bombing lacks discipline and formal education in the engineering and chemistry aspects of it. Most ex military have enough discipline and sense of honor to not pull this crap. McVeigh is the only American I can think of who had every device he built go off and that was only because it was one big bomb.

Your sentence structure is misleading. You should work on not presenting your opinions as facts so much.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:23 am UTC

roband wrote:That picture of the guy in the wheelchair.. I can't even imagine.

Unrelated, but today was the anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster - I was close to tears 12 hours ago and I'm back there now.

From what I have heard, they don't have anyone in custody and the only person of interest is one because she was closest to the bomb when it went off.

Darryl

Postby Darryl » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:25 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
roband wrote:That picture of the guy in the wheelchair.. I can't even imagine.

From what I have heard, they don't have anyone in custody and the only person of interest is one because she was closest to the bomb when it went off.

Yeah, that "Saudi national" they had in custody was a fiction created by the New York Post, which is not a newspaper, but a tabloid of lies.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

liveboy21

Postby liveboy21 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:36 am UTC

Ugh, the Australian news went with the 'Saudi national' angle. I do hate that news outlets sometimes feel the need to publish without checking. Then again, they could be the ones that are right, I have no way of knowing.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:44 am UTC

liveboy21 wrote:Ugh, the Australian news went with the 'Saudi national' angle. I do hate that news outlets sometimes feel the need to publish without checking. Then again, they could be the ones that are right, I have no way of knowing.

CBS says that there was a Saudi national there...after the bomb went off he started running away and somebody who thought that was suspicious tackled him. Or something like that. I do not find that to be so unbelievable.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:50 am UTC

Police are denying that there was ever a Saudi national in custody. I highly doubt that the bomber was actually nearby. Cell phone linked triggers aren't exactly hard to make, and the whole event was televised.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Darryl

Postby Darryl » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:51 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
liveboy21 wrote:Ugh, the Australian news went with the 'Saudi national' angle. I do hate that news outlets sometimes feel the need to publish without checking. Then again, they could be the ones that are right, I have no way of knowing.

CBS says that there was a Saudi national there...after the bomb went off he started running away and somebody who thought that was suspicious tackled him. Or something like that. I do not find that to be so unbelievable.

It's suspicious to run away from an explosion?

Oh right, it was suspicious because he was brown. No one would have blinked an eye at all the white people running away from the explosion.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:54 am UTC

Based on the reports and pictures the bomb doesn't seem to have been that large but was packed with shrapnel such as ball bearings. CNN is reporting that medical personal are dealing with shrapnel removal.

I can't think of a domestic terrorist bombing like that but that doesn't mean they haven't changed or don't exist. Either way, I'm hope everyone on the forum is okay and I hope that those wounded do recover.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Return to “News & Articles”