1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Ready to see what I spent my morning doing? Here you go! It's a Present Present from me to you!

I'm about 7 NewPages back (for now), but this can't wait:
Holy Crap*! This is wonderful, BlitzGirl. Without taking my inclusion into account this makes me happy (and sad). I was giddy to see my little fox*, but embarrassed that my thong was showing.* Helper's panel made me sad, but also showed how much of a community we are if that could make me sad. All of the drawn, redrawn, and enhanced art...............................*bows before ye* I'm not thinking I'll be competing with you anytime soon. lol. 8-)

Good JOB! I'd give you all my internets (if I didn't owe them all still).
*goes off to earn more internets*

*Or whatever the sea* is made of.
*Which is big.
*Did I just invent a new double entendre?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:So if it was a quarter turn, and they are walking along the coast, is the sea from our point of view behind them or in front of them?

My assumption is that the Sea1 is in front of them, since they were looking at us before the rotated point of view. So it is like we are watching them from either on the Sea itself, or from the other coast.

1Which is big and does what it wants.

Edit: Doh! And My uhh... gift to Blitzgirl... is... *rummages in pockets* This amazing Temporal Illuminati (which don't exist) TIME FUZZ!! No? Then, I give the gift of empathy, I wouldn't want to get some pocket lint either, yuck!
Last edited by Caswallon on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

Despite that the papacy has been disbanded several times I will offer a gift for posting on this page, also I am posting on this page as an excuse to offer a gift, so it works out quite nicely:

Spoiler:
Time is a changing thing
and it has a marvelous thread
bound by its hover text
i fell into a thread of time

i fell into a growing thread of time
i read on on on
and the pages went higher

and it grows grows grows
that thread of time
that thread of time

the songs, graphs, and hats are neat
when minds like ours meet
we're coma-less for far to long
as the maddness carries on

i read on on on

and it grows grows grows
that thread of time
that thread of time

Time is a fickle thing
the more you have the more you need
bound by our simple creed
we wait for it while we read

i read on on on

and it grows grows grows
that thread of time
that thread of time

edit: improved that first verse I think. I should really put more time into my presents up front instead of always editing my posts :) . But now I must hurry outside for some stuffs.
Last edited by jovialbard on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:06 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Pre-coma DONG!
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

edo

Postby edo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:But if you want more detail, I was born on the same day that Explorer 8 was launched. But I think it's just a coincidence...

March 19, 2009? I wouldn't have ever guessed you were that young. :P
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Ready to see what I spent my morning doing? Here you go! It's a Present Present from me to you!

awesome image removed since I'm not allowed to post links yet

This was awesome enough to finally make me unlurk and register to this forum. Having followed this thread almost from the beginning (rather spotty and skimmish-ly at first but in read-all-mode for the last couple of hundred pages) every frame made me smile. I have been on the brink of registering a couple of times now, specially when the big whiteout was under way, but most times I was a couple of... uh, pages... behind in my reading so it felt out of place. Now, however, it's time.

So, hi. There's really nothing I can say that hasn't been said by other recent unlurkers, but I really feel that I know you guys after having been riding along, invisibly, in your back seat for so long now. Also, the friendliness and lack of drama and animosity here is refreshing. Not that I'm active on any other forum on the net - I'm really a quiet kind of guy - but my girlfriend often tells about the insane dramas of her various foras and I never could stand it. So it's nice.

Another reason for my hesitation about joining is a general feeling of unworthyness. Whenever I visit the forum to read the comments on the latest comics I'm awed and slightly intimidated by the wit and linguistic elegance of the posters, and I feel that I'll never bee able to match that - since English is not my first language (other than purely alphabetically, before Swedish). But I'm ready to give it a try.

Okay, that got long winded. Time to wind down and await moderator approval on this my first breath of registered forum air.

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

edo wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:But if you want more detail, I was born on the same day that Explorer 8 was launched. But I think it's just a coincidence...

I hadn't clicked the first link because I just assumed StratPlayer meant IE8 - you know what they say about assumptions. (I also forgot that IE8 was that new; I'm a Firefox fan myself)
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

meerta

Postby meerta » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

So this is looking like being a movie...

Edit: Of sorts. I just realised how the speed of the speech bubbles appearing and disappearing might make it difficult to watch as an animation (even though it clearly is)

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

Sheesh... I go away for a Newpix or two and come back to this???

*looks at debris strewn all over forum floor*

What the hell happened!? It looks like a hundred bags of crap exploded in here!!!

*gets broom and starts sweeping*

…damn kids...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

meerta wrote:So this is looking like being a movie...

Edit: Of sorts. I just realised how the speed of the speech bubbles appearing and disappearing might make it difficult to watch as an animation (even though it clearly is)

Weeell, at 24fps for a 90 minute movie you're looking at 129600 frames. So we're only 0.8% of the way through.

ETA:
StratPlayer wrote:Sheesh... I go away for a Newpix or two and come back to this???

*looks at debris strewn all over forum floor*

What the hell happened!? It looks like a hundred bags of crap exploded in here!!!

*gets broom and starts sweeping*

…damn kids...

I wouldn't mention bags again unless you want to be clearing up even more debris...

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

meerta

Postby meerta » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

descor wrote:

Weeell, at 24fps for a 90 minute movie you're looking at 129600 frames. So we're only 0.8% of the way through.

It could be a short. At least it's finally becoming obvious that it might have that much structure..

It's not going to have the frames per second of a normal film. Obviously it's a bit other.

I'm only suggesting 3/1 odds this is right anyhow. :)

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

descor wrote:
edo wrote:

I hadn't clicked the first link because I just assumed StratPlayer meant IE8 - you know what they say about assumptions. (I also forgot that IE8 was that new; I'm a Firefox fan myself)

Uh, no. Not the Microsofty one... The NASAish one, back when "a computer" meant a wall of vacuum tubes...:)
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

<Snip>

That's lovely <hug>
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:16 pm UTC

To return for the moment to a very old subtopic... It's pretty clear at this point that Cuegan's world is three dimensional after all, despite much speculation and near consensus, hundreds of newpages ago, that it was not.

The best argument for the lack of a complete third dimension was the effectiveness of the first dike (dyke), which appeared to somehow prevent any semencoffeecancerbaby from flowing around it. However, there is an alternative plausible explanation for that, which I don't recall seeing brought up. That is, if the edge of the sea (which is big and does what it wants) at the sandcastling place were actually the narrow tip of an inlet. That would require there to be slightly higher ground, at the cancerbabycoffeesemen's edge, in front of and behind the cross-sectional slice we were viewing, to contain the inlet. The first di(y)ke only needed to block off the inlet by spanning between the unseen higher ground in front and behind.

By the time of the larger second dy(i)ke, the coffeesemenbabycancer would have overflowed the sides of the original inlet and would then be approaching the castles on a wider front. So the second dyke (dike), even though it was larger, did soon allow the babycancersemencoffee to flow around it, making it less effective as we saw.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

meerta wrote:
descor wrote:

It could be a short. At least it's finally becoming obvious that it might have that much structure..

It's not going to have the frames per second of a normal film. Obviously it's a bit other.

I'm only suggesting 3/1 odds this is right anyhow. :)

I quite like the idea of only being 0.8% the way through an epic movie. The lack of time to read the speech just adds to the challenge of watching the OTM (One True Movie ... clearly)

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

Catching up on the last 8 pages after comaing... There's a sudden explosion in the number of Loopists, but I don't think the OTC will loop just yet. Several differences have already been pointed out. I get the impression that Randall is trying to give us the impression that it will loop, and near two round numbers, too, but it won't.
I then reach a point in the thread where we have lots of suggestions of names for the new Era, all "Bag" puns. Plus a song about Bags.
And some messages from Kryton. Keep going Kryton! And Vytron, and any other time travelers.
Ah, he's finished teasing the loopists now :)

200 newpix ago I would have never had 8 pages to catch up on after a coma, I'm glad that the OTT is getting more active again :)

Spoiler:

Click Here for Larger Version

Disclaimer: I really, really wanted to fit as many posters as possible in here but my wrist is already limp as a noodle! I tried to mostly stay with still-active people since they're the ones most likely to see it. But there were still way, way too many for even a dozen of these! I still love you all equally, I promise!!
List of those I included:
LaPetite
Angelastic
Latent22
Kieryn
(manip by cmyk)
KarMann
StratPlayer
azule
tman2nd
(whoever started the footnote thing)
mscha
patzer
Eternal Density
Helper (missing)
ChronosDragon
macraw83
cmyk
RobIrr
buffygirl
Dracomax
manvandmaan
Me (yeah, yeah, I know)
The Faded Sandcastle
Cuegan
Hope you enjoy! It was a lot of fun to make. :D One of the reasons I'm happy to be in the Now is that I can do things like this, where in the Past I was too busy Questing, reading pastposts, and writing signposts!

Edit: Oh yeah, the original: http://xkcd.com/442/

Thank you, BlitzGirl!!! :D This is great. thank you for mentioning me
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

433/472. Finally dropped under 40 pages to go, as apparently the postrate in the Future has slowed again. (Hopefully this doesn't mean my frequent signposts end up double-posting or dominating pages... somebody sig-warn me if that becomes the case, please?)

Wall of replies:
Spoiler:
Vytron wrote:Yes! I did it! I did it!

I've read 214 pages of the thread! This means I started at 0% and I'm now at 50%, which is the crucial point at which I realize that, yeah, I can read it all! Eventually.
<snip - exposition of Zeno's paradox or something closely resembling it>

Iunno how BlitzGirl did it, Iunno how you're doing it. I'd go crazy. >_> Which isn't to say that I'm not already going crazy...

ChronosDragon wrote:
solobutterfly wrote:Comics like this make me feel like I'm living a part of history. It's been updating for over a month. If people aren't studying and discussing and loving the brilliance and heart of xkcd 50 years from, then I will be sorely disappointed with humanity and art appreciation.

Comics like this? Are you implying there is more than one One True Comic? Heresy! Burn the heretic! Burn him in whitened flames until his charred corpse is stained white with holy fire!

*casts healing fire over solobutterfly* I will protect you.

lmjb1964 wrote:Has anyone done a tally of all the other xkcd comics that have been referred to in this thread?

Back when the thread was something like 250 pages long I volunteered to, once everything settled down. But now that we're closing on 500 pages and showing no sign of stopping, either it'll take me a few months from the time we stop (if ever) or I'll need some help. (Unless one of the scriptwriters wants to use some Script-Fu to do it in a matter of minutes. I'm not sure a script can pick up all the subtle references a human can make and understand though.)

EDIT: Sciscitor's swift reply linked comics but not the actual references... not sure if that's what you were looking for, but I had planned to find the actual references.

Lucia wrote:I followed the comic and this thread for a while, then grew bored. Ultimately I think I made the right decision, as the comic has slowly changed less and less, while the thread has not exceeded its early heights of madness/awesome. But I check some days, and wethoughtthiswouldendatAprilFools, and today I caught up a little on what had been happening: almost nothing. But.
She's saying goodbye. She's saying goodbye, not to a person, but to the castle. She's saying goodbye to the thing she built from sand/snow/ground coffee/cancerbabies, raised from the plane of sand/snow/ground coffee/cancerbabies into the sky, protected from the Sea when it began to rise... she's saying goodbye. I don't think she's coming back. Mock me as an apocalyptist or a Loopist, but I don't think she's coming back. That tiny bye, the bag on her back, the tilt of her head: it tells me that she isn't coming back. Not here. Not to this. Who knows. Maybe the two of them will build a mighty wall further up, a stalwart bulwark against the sea, but this castle? No. It is to be left to the sea. This is more tragic than any single darkening pixel. This:
:cry:
This is ending.

It's been awhile (probably a year) since I've shown deep emotion while watching/reading something on the Internet. Even when Megan said goodbye I was sad but not to the point of emotion. You brought me thisclose to crying. Hopefully you don't take that the wrong way. All I'm saying is, your post is special. In a good way.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:To return for the moment to a very old subtopic... It's pretty clear at this point that Cuegan's world is three dimensional after all, despite much speculation and near consensus, hundreds of newpages ago, that it was not.

The best argument for the lack of a complete third dimension was the effectiveness of the first dike (dyke), which appeared to somehow prevent any semencoffeecancerbaby from flowing around it. However, there is an alternative plausible explanation for that, which I don't recall seeing brought up. That is, if the edge of the sea (which is big and does what it wants) at the sandcastling place were actually the narrow tip of an inlet. That would require there to be slightly higher ground, at the cancerbabycoffeesemen's edge, in front of and behind the cross-sectional slice we were viewing, to contain the inlet. The first di(y)ke only needed to block off the inlet by spanning between the unseen higher ground in front and behind.

By the time of the larger second dy(i)ke, the coffeesemenbabycancer would have overflowed the sides of the original inlet and would then be approaching the castles on a wider front. So the second dyke (dike), even though it was larger, did soon allow the babycancersemencoffee to flow around it, making it less effective as we saw.

Wow...
I had thought of that myself, but never bothered to post it.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Eoink wrote:
Clix wrote:
***nested quote snip***

Neither a walk nor hike this seems to me, more of a trek edging on an odyssey.

Of course it could end up being a slog, but that's the pessimist in me.

1190, A Time Odyssey?

Barbarossa died that year.
Probably not a good time to travel to.

She's dead? And I thought that was in the future.

Oh, sorry, I was thinking of Barbarella. Totally different thing.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

meerta

Postby meerta » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

descor wrote:I quite like the idea of only being 0.8% the way through an epic movie. The lack of time to read the speech just adds to the challenge of watching the OTM (One True Movie ... clearly)

Agree. :)

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

It is impossible for me to keep track of this tread as i would like it. (the outside is just taking too much.... time) but I have to say I love the puns, and that comic by BlitzGirl is amazing.

Does anyone knows what happen to helper? (i know he is missing after reading the BlitzGirl comic) has anyone PM him or something? may be someone in the outside kidnap him so he couldn't perform his papal duties. (i hope he is ok)

my other question would be if anyone here posts in other treads of the forums.

keep on waiting people!
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

I get off work, pick the girls up from school, and I'm six flippin' pages behind?

First, gift for Blitzgirl: I didn't have time to run to the store, so here's an easter egg, slightly stale.
EasterEgg.png
EasterEgg.png (89.2 KiB) Viewed 14739 times
Your wonderful spoof of #442 has gone into my rotating desktop wallpaper folder. (My monitor's turned to portrait, so it's a perfect fit.)

I've been wondering: If this is a seacoast, where are the gulls? In my (admittedly limited) experience, if there's a moving object on the shore, the gulls will swarm to see if it's edible. "Mine! Mine!" The damn gulls should have been diving on every rock from the trebuchet.
Gull.png
Gull.png (1.98 KiB) Viewed 14739 times

And I know the mania died down a couple of pages ago, but I just can't resist:

It's A Bag, Bag, Bag, Bag World
B*A*G*S
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

diego5wh wrote:It is impossible for me to keep track of this tread as i would like it. (the outside is just taking too much.... time) but I have to say I love the puns, and that comic by BlitzGirl is amazing.

Does anyone knows what happen to helper? (i know he is missing after reading the BlitzGirl comic) has anyone PM him or something? may be someone in the outside kidnap him so he couldn't perform his papal duties. (i hope he is ok)

my other question would be if anyone here posts in other treads of the forums.

keep on waiting people!

I get the feeling that if any of us spilled out into the rest of the fora we would be eyed with a mixture of alarm and barely disguised panic by the normal residents. Not unlike walking into a saloon bar in a Western with a crocodile on a lead. I imagine.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:Anyway...

I'll be bag.

this.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

In the wait between newpix, I have decided to do a (terrible) visualization of the recent camera change:

*not to scale - yes I know the shadows aren't consistent

Essentially, we are seeing the same angle as before, so it looks like time travel.
Last edited by 123Adz321 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:44 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I've been wondering: If this is a seacoast, where are the gulls? In my (admittedly limited) experience, if there's a moving object on the shore, the gulls will swarm to see if it's edible. "Mine! Mine!" The damn gulls should have been diving on every rock from the trebuchet.

My interpretation is that they are in some strange alien environment, and we only know 8 9 things exist:

1. CueBall
  2. Megan
  3. Sand (or whatever variation of coffee grounds, particle board dust, debris you prescribe to)
  4. Sea (semencancercoffeebabiesblood) Which is big and does what it wants.
  5. A River (which is small and far away)
  6. Flags
  7. La Petite Which apparently Cuegan does not know exists
  8. Bags
  9. IKEA (or other hardware store)

Edit: Added Flags
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

edfel

Postby edfel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

After a thousand newpix of lurking I finally get out of bagginghiding to participate in this quest of understanding what's going on on this beach, or at least of sharing the non-understanding of what's going on...
M&C are off to see the world1, and I'm pretty sure they won't feel their quest is complete before seeing at least one mountain and one tree (what better approach, to find a mountain, than to follow the shore until one finds a river, then to follow the river upstream, making sandcastles along the way?).

My prediction (just to have an epsilon% chance of saying "I told ya!") is that they'll keep on traveling for the next 5700 or so newpix, crossing various landscape and meeting lots of people, until they settle in a snowcastle, dinning with Santa Claus2,3,4.

1 which is presumably as bagbig as the sea2
2 which is big
3 but not as much as the sea2
4 which, also, brings me to the present for Blitzgirl: a santa hat, of course!

Roia

Postby Roia » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

I wish I had more time to be active on this needle-pulled thing. Managing to keep updated in between two jobs and a 'life', whatever that is, is pretty tricky :(
The World is Waiting, Anticipating...

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

SBN wrote:My age is quite close to yours. But my usual answer to the question is "I'm as old as LIFE."

I like "I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth" which I first read as told by Mad Hettie, but apparently (I found out now that I searched for it) originated with Jonathan Swift. If that's true, of course. I've learned that most quotes were never said by the individual to which they're ascribed ("let them eat cake" for example).

I was born the same year as my country's crown princess.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

123Adz321 wrote:In the wait between newpix, I have decided to do a (terrible) visualization of the recent camera change:

Essentially, we are seeing the same angle as before, so it looks like time travel.

Did not, when the Prophets abandon the Sandcastle, did they not walk away from the Sandcastle going left, away from the rising sea?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

You know what I think might help explain what is happening is if the original beach of Time was next to a river mouth which Megball think may be the only river. So maybe they are on an island and they are now walking around the beach of that island. Will the find another river mouth and prove there are more rivers. Or will they go right around the island and find the original river again proving there is only one river. We could then see them cross that river and wonder down to whats left of their old castle. Then they just need to clean up the fallen posts left there and sit down and relax on the beach. And then somehow forget everything that just happened...

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

123Adz321 wrote:In the wait between newpix, I have decided to do a (terrible) visualization of the recent camera change:

Far up
Far down
Farm out
and not to forget
cool....
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

Did not, when the Prophets abandon the Sandcastle, did they not walk away from the Sandcastle going left, away from the rising sea?

So, add a little arrow heading away from the shore, then turning to follow the shore in the direction noted above. Plus, they could have been building on a little finger of sand sticking out into the Sea, hence needing to head away.

Also, really like this, much better than my first attempt :)

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Click Here for Larger Version

Disclaimer: I really, really wanted to fit as many posters as possible in here but my wrist is already limp as a noodle! I tried to mostly stay with still-active people since they're the ones most likely to see it. But there were still way, way too many for even a dozen of these! I still love you all equally, I promise!!
List of those I included:
Spoiler:
LaPetite
Angelastic
Latent22
Kieryn
(manip by cmyk)
KarMann
StratPlayer
azule
tman2nd
(whoever started the footnote thing)
mscha
patzer
Eternal Density
Helper (missing)
ChronosDragon
macraw83
cmyk
RobIrr
buffygirl
Dracomax
manvandmaan
Me (yeah, yeah, I know)
The Faded Sandcastle
Cuegan

Hope you enjoy! It was a lot of fun to make. :D One of the reasons I'm happy to be in the Now is that I can do things like this, where in the Past I was too busy Questing, reading pastposts, and writing signposts!

Edit: Oh yeah, the original: http://xkcd.com/442/

So yes, I'm among those now having some difficulty keeping current, so I just got to this, but I just want to note that I completely lost it at Helper's milk carton there. :lol:
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Did not, when the Prophets abandon the Sandcastle, did they not walk away from the Sandcastle going left, away from the rising sea?

In the walking Newpix however they have been walking to the right, to which one can only assume they did something like this:

Since it was almost certainly a different camera angle in the more recent 'side view'
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

1. BlitzGirl's PresentPresent is amazing! (The River is Small)
2. I love all the bag puns. I especially found the mention of "Bagginses" amusing. I might have missed someone else saying this but if no one has then:
Bag Trouble in Little China.
All the Bag talk is doubly amusing to me because it reminds me of a longrunning gag on another forum, namely the Stargate Universe section of Gateworld. In one episode there was a background character who was a balding asian guy. Somehow he achieved memetic status (at least in a few threads) under the acronym BAG. It only grew to new heights when he appeared in another episode, and somehow the guy who played the part ended up joining the forum and we got to 'interview' him. Anyhow it's a fun memory from a few years ago.
3. I forget, but there's been lots of awesomeness to catch up on (such as 123Adz321's camera angle diagrams). :D Keep it coming.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I've been wondering: If this is a seacoast, where are the gulls?

In the sky. They are white.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

436/472. So many new people popping out of nowhere as the OTC apparently winds down. I see mentions of "this is my first|second|third post" but high postcounts on several of them, so I have a feeling there will be more new faces once I get back to the Present! :)

Wall of replies:
Spoiler:
AluisioASG wrote:
cmyk wrote:
descor wrote:
RobIrr wrote:I don't look directly at the comic itself; that'd be a spoiler! I prefer reading the commentary on the way to it :D

Me too!! Glad I'm not the only one.

(Yep, same here)

And here.

And here. I think I've only looked directly at the OTC a few times, mainly for posting a newpix or two. And when I panicked and cheated rather than read 60+ pages of posts to see whether it was over. But we won't talk about that, ok?

phoenix301 wrote:<snip>

Ohai there, another phoenix! :D

Clix wrote:Hi, long time lurker, second time poster,

One for the Spotified Play List. If it has been mentioned, my search skills need improving.

I was reviewing the book of Aubronwood before I coma'ed last night. Talking Heads "Once In A Lifetime" was on loop in my head. <snip>
I would link, but I am a noob in a strange land

Edit: removing BB fail

I see you have 5 posts now, but I can't tell if you posted the link in the Future (your Present). Since I love the song in question, and this gives me a good excuse to listen to it again, I'll link it. Here we go.

EDIT: now it's stuck in my head and stuck in loop on YouTube. Thanks... :P

Rule110 wrote:One of the perpetual "...and n guests" delurking here to say thanks to everyone for all the entertaining commentary.

Oh, and here are all my theories and opinions about the sea level, the river, sandcastles, dimensions, recursion, the liturgy, trebuchet design, scaffold architecture, hash codes, papacies, graphs, time travelers, the meaning of it all, and hats:
:wink:

Those are good and indisputable theories. Well said.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:

So, add a little arrow heading away from the shore, then turning to follow the shore in the direction noted above. Plus, they could have been building on a little finger of sand sticking out into the Sea, hence needing to head away.

Also, really like this, much better than my first attempt :)

Hm. Perhaps. Certainly a wonderful rendition! But I'm not sure I'm comfortable with such a heretical view of Time. If the Creator of Time had meant for us to see Time as such...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

patzer wrote:
Rule110 wrote:To return for the moment to a very old subtopic... It's pretty clear at this point that Cuegan's world is three dimensional after all, despite much speculation and near consensus, hundreds of newpages ago, that it was not.

Wow...
I had thought of that myself, but never bothered to post it.

Indeed, this makes perfect sense.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”