1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Thu May 02, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Okay, forget it. After the "weeee kend" that kept me away from the OTF, I have been in a mad scramble to catch up--and keep falling further behind.
<snip>

From the One True Font? :mrgreen:

One True Forum. duh.

You obviously missed the entire .otf extension discussion about 10-20 newpages back. I knew what you were trying to say, I was just making a reference joke. ;) And it's the OTT (One True Thread)

Yes, as mentioned, I skipped about 30 pages.

And I meant OTF, because I was behind on the entire forum, let alone the OTT. Stupid outside stuff getting in the way of the OTT...

Heresy! There is no forum, only this thread. :P

No.no. the forum exists. it's like Battlefield Earth to Scientologists--It's not holy in itself, but it does spring from the creator's other, lesser works. and probably stars John Travolta.

Are you suggesting 1110 is a "lesser work"?

As I recall, IT never spawned a religion. just some amused commentary and frantic code searching to see what was there. Truly, 1110 is among the greatest of the lesser works, but lesser it remains, for this, Time, is the One, True Comic.

1110 did spawn not only a religion, but a whole new culture.
Unfortunately, such society is hidden in the Caves and Tunnels, and so most of us never ever heard about them.

Soo...what you are saying is that we need to bring a holy war upon the needlepulled thing of 1110?

Nah, just a schism. A division between those who live inside this little world numbered 1190, and those who believe all works by Lord Randall are equally holy and deserve equal reverence.
Unless you think we can fight a whole war in... 19 minutes.

PS. The amount of times you've been quoted is absurd.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 02, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

I just made up a song about this for no reason...

Spoiler:
Time!
It just goes on and on and on
I watched two people build a sandcastle
And now they're on an adventure.

Waiting for it... That's what I'm doing,
Waiting for it... That's what I'm doing.

The thread in the forum is so long
I haven't got the time to read it all
But I'll keep up with the present,
And then post.

Waiting for it, that's what we're doing
Waiting for it, that's what we're doing.

Blitzgirl blitzed her way through all the posts,
Buffygirl just made some hats
A religion was born from everything,
And many a newpix appeared as we went

Waiting for it, that's what they're doing,
Waiting for it, that's what they're doing

And LaPetite, we don't know
Megan has a trebuchet
Cueball doesn't really know much
And bag puns lead the way...

Waiting for it, that's what he's doing
Waiting for it, that's what she's doing
Waiting for it, that's what I'm doing

Is the sea water or semen-cancer-babes?
Is the river water or just the same?
The ground of sand or mud or snow?
And what will happen next??

We'll know once we have waited for it,
And we're waiting for it,
Waiting, waiting for it,
All we're doing is waiting for it,
Just, simply, waiting for it...

I might just be crazy, and I might just sing it some point in the future. I don't know.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 02, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:I just made up a song about this for no reason...

Spoiler:
Time!
It just goes on and on and on
I watched two people build a sandcastle
And now they're on an adventure.

Waiting for it... That's what I'm doing,
Waiting for it... That's what I'm doing.

The thread in the forum is so long
I haven't got the time to read it all
But I'll keep up with the present,
And then post.

Waiting for it, that's what we're doing
Waiting for it, that's what we're doing.

Blitzgirl blitzed her way through all the posts,
Buffygirl just made some hats
A religion was born from everything,
And many a newpix appeared as we went

Waiting for it, that's what they're doing,

And LaPetite, we don't know
Megan has a trebuchet
Cueball doesn't really know much
And bag puns lead the way...

Waiting for it, that's what he's doing
Waiting for it, that's what she's doing
Waiting for it, that's what I'm doing

Is the sea water or semen-cancer-babes?
Is the river water or just the same?
The ground of sand or mud or snow?
And what will happen next??

We'll know once we have waited for it,
And we're waiting for it,
Waiting, waiting for it,
All we're doing is waiting for it,
Just, simply, waiting for it...

I might just be crazy, and I might just sing it some point in the future. I don't know.

Please do!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 02, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Okay, forget it. After the "weeee kend" that kept me away from the OTF, I have been in a mad scramble to catch up--and keep falling further behind.
<snip>

One True Forum. duh.

You obviously missed the entire .otf extension discussion about 10-20 newpages back. I knew what you were trying to say, I was just making a reference joke. ;) And it's the OTT (One True Thread)

And I meant OTF, because I was behind on the entire forum, let alone the OTT. Stupid outside stuff getting in the way of the OTT...

No.no. the forum exists. it's like Battlefield Earth to Scientologists--It's not holy in itself, but it does spring from the creator's other, lesser works. and probably stars John Travolta.

As I recall, IT never spawned a religion. just some amused commentary and frantic code searching to see what was there. Truly, 1110 is among the greatest of the lesser works, but lesser it remains, for this, Time, is the One, True Comic.

Unfortunately, such society is hidden in the Caves and Tunnels, and so most of us never ever heard about them.

Soo...what you are saying is that we need to bring a holy war upon the needlepulled thing of 1110?

Nah, just a schism. A division between those who live inside this little world numbered 1190, and those who believe all works by Lord Randall are equally holy and deserve equal reverence.

We do have trebuchets. Also, what are these minutes of which you speak? the sound like heretical outsider units of time.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu May 02, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:
<snip>

One True Forum. duh.

We do have trebuchets. Also, what are these minutes of which you speak? the sound like heretical outsider units of time.

We have the Sheeple. And the Hypno-GIF.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Thu May 02, 2013 4:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu May 02, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Dracomax wrote:We do have trebuchets. Also, what are these minutes of which you speak? the sound like heretical outsider units of time.

We have Double-Hat-BHG. And the Sheeple.
And the Hypno-GIF.

Right... but they have rockets and fighter jets...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 02, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:
<snip>

One True Forum. duh.

We have Double-Hat-BHG. And the Sheeple.

Somewhere in this needle-pulled thingy, we dealt with the sheeple. I think it might have involved the heat death of the universe. And you people outside the OTT aren't that dedicated. the needle pulled thingy for 1110 isn't even 100 pages long.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu May 02, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Here we go again... now I realize my mistake...
inhalvast wrote:Isn't that the way of all religions? We get so caught up in the specifics, we lose sight of the true meaning of the faith.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Thu May 02, 2013 5:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu May 02, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

(blindposting)
CatHectic wrote:Woohoo! 500 pages..... who knew, back at the dawn of Time, how far this would take us? What a long strange trip it's been....

No no! Don't provide that link! For anybody blitzing or mini-blitzing it spoils what the current Time image is! Take it away!!!!

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 02, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:Well it is true that Time is moving slow, and there are at least 2 different time streams... So since this is a slow river, would it make it the One True River?
No, isn't that Tam? In any case, it has already been revealed in the OTC that there are other rivers, and if this were the OTR, then the other rivers would be false rivers. Also, 552

I am sensing that the time is nigh for the crowning of a BlitzGirl the Next. I know some are still in their Most Holy Quest, that being:
  • to have had a Great Chasm in their soul from having experienced the frames of the OTC without properly Waiting For Them,
  • to have forsaken the seductions of the Newpix from the present Time in favor of properly Waiting For Them, and to that end,
  • to have embarked on the Sacred Quest of going back to the Beginning Of Time (or the beginning of the period of failure to properly Wait For It) and reading the OTT, wherein under the Sacred Ong the frames will be revealed in a proper and Timely manner, as is meet and good for the soul, and
  • to have successfully made it to the Present Time, having thus fully experienced the time between the Frames Of Time.

Although we hope that those on this pilgrimage would choose to send inspiration in the form of signposts, the prayer and reflection that is a part of this sacrament may also be private, in accordance with the words of our Blitzgirl, Blitzgirl the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First: "As grains of Sand(semencancercoffeebabies) in a Sandcastle, this needle-pulled thing works best when we are not all of the same shape. Our quirks clasp us together all the more strongly..."

If there be any who, having done all these things and reached the Present Time, are ready for coronation, step forward now. And those who are still on Pilgrimage and have reached this point, let them also step forward and be acknowledged as True Pilgrims of Time, to be crowned upon completion of their Quest.

Jose
(edits in grey, to clarify and fix time travel issues)
Last edited by ucim on Thu May 02, 2013 7:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 02, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

Good point ucim, still half coma, lol.

May be this is The Great River (TGR) and all others are just Lesser Rivers (LR's) ?
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

kaiken1987

Postby kaiken1987 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:1110 did spawn not only a religion, but a whole new culture.

Sounds like your describing a group of religious hipsters. "It's undgerground, you probably haven't heard of it"

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 02, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Ardaglash wrote:Has anyone thought about what will happen when the OTC has more frames than XKCD has comics? (I've been skimming this needle-pulled-thing, but in no way have I read the whole shebang...)

XKCD has 1206 comics as of yesterday; Aubronwood puts the OTC at 1041 pix. If that count is correct, and the current pace of newpix remains steady, then the OTC will surpass XKCD in 173 newpix...

Aubronwood is missing one newpix and is thus 1 behind. At the time of your post, the official OTC frame count was 1042; right now it is 1044.
See here for a convenient list of frames with links to the newpix.

The official count may be 1044, but there are three missing/apocryphal frames between 255 and 256.

Valarya wrote:I noticed no one pointed out anything about the internal time of Time, so I wanted to say a few words. I find it interesting that, say, between newpix #807 & #808 Megan was able to move from the top of the scaffolding all the way to the shore... yet in between our most recent newpix #1035 & #1036 , the rope had just hit the water. At least it looks like the rope had just hit the water, unless he was just standing there depressed for a few "minutes" that the rope missed? *discuss*

Or, he threw the rope a few times between frames.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 02, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I noticed no one pointed out anything about the internal time of Time, ...

May I invite you to read the past 20,000+ posts? There has been plenty of discussion about this topic. :P
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Thu May 02, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

Posting this from almost 30 newpages behind, plus I'm still on newbie-watch (I think), so odds are no one will see it (unless they're on a Blitz-y journey), but I just wanted to mention sitting here watching Sphere (the first half or so, then it gets a bit annoying) and chuckling when they mention going through "a river in the ocean". No mention of the sea being large, but the spacecraft is. *This means something!*

Edit: Apparently I'm not a post-newbie any more. Yay. Hello! *Back to reading 30 pages*

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 02, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Since the excitement about the 20,000th post and page 500 got in the way right after I posted, I'm going to quote myself here for easy reviewing:

Valarya wrote:I noticed no one pointed out anything about the internal time of Time, so I wanted to say a few words. I find it interesting that, say, between newpix #807 & #808 Megan was able to move from the top of the scaffolding all the way to the shore... yet in between our most recent newpix #1035 & #1036 , the rope had just hit the water. At least it looks like the rope had just hit the water, unless he was just standing there depressed for a few "minutes" that the rope missed? *discuss*

This has been discussed before.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3321810#p3321810
mathrec wrote:... So, newpix may be a constant unit of Time for Timewaiters, but it's not a constant unit of Time for Megan and Cueball.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu May 02, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

KETCHUP

The Time Foundation
Spoiler:
AluisioASG wrote:I, AluisioASG; SAEWITRBASA; Time Waiter, on this page 485∧496 of the One True Thread, hereby establish the Time Foundation, a society concerned with the availability of the One True Comic for future generations; the proper recording and analysis of the Frames; public relations with the Outside (in order to prevent incidents); as well as its own survival like every other society.

A full list of members (the Council Board doesn't care if people want to join or not) shall be made available shortly.
EDIT:

Staff of the Time Foundation

Changes to the staff will be reported through this post

Founders

AluisioASG

Council Board

AluisioASG (irrevocably)
BlitzGirl
Pope Helper the First (suspended due to ongoing investigation)
cmyk (suspended due to ongoing investigation)
buffygirl
HAL9000 (the First and True One)
AluisioASG
{{ Some representative from the Sheeple }}

Data Preservation Department

? (suggestions accepted)

Data Analysis Department

Kieryn
? (suggestions accepted)

Outsider Relations Department

The Minister of Love
The Minister of Truth
? (suggestions accepted)

It is scary to me that I, too, have been worrying about the future integrity of the OTC and the OTT? And I guess we also have the OTW (wiki). If I'm gonna be part of something famous, it's going to be accurate, RandallDammIt!

Helper & cmyk
Spoiler:
tman2nd wrote:Cmyk definitely fits Helper's absence perfectly on this graph. (Remove total.)
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/UserPostsByDay?users=cmyk,helper
I'm not sure what to think of this. :?

Toldja! It's freaky!!

Map & Poll
Spoiler:
Exodies wrote:
dreiarmumig wrote:Edit2:
Alsoso, because I think they haven't been bumped in a while: The poll and the map.

What can we learn from the age profile? Well, if you have any big projects planned for your lifetime, do them between age 31-35 cos that's when you will most likely have Time on your hands.

re: the map, we really are quite the international crew, aren't we?

Just a Forum Where I Used to Post
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:Alright, miniBlitz over -- now ketchup'ed again...
*snip*

And yet... I sometimes wonder if there aren't some ex-TimeWaiters who think like this:
Just a Forum Where I Used to Post
(based on "Somebody That I Used to Know" by Gotye)
Now and then I think of when Time was forever
Back when I said the Wait for It would never die
Told myself that I would always be
There in the forum with my company
But that was then; now It's a thing I just remember

You can get addicted to a certain kind of madness
Like dedication to a trend -- but then it ends
So I have found something different since,
and forgotten all those forum friends
But I'll admit I sometimes wonder why it's over

But I decided I had to cut it off
Make out like it never happened and that it was nothing
Now I don't even need it much
Yes, I've become a stranger -- never try to keep in touch
No real reason why I had to go
leave my friends to Wait For It without me and change my number
I guess that's just the way it goes...
Now it's just a forum where I used to post.

Now it's just a forum where I used to post,
Now it's just a forum where I used to post.

A forum
(I used to post)
A forum
(Now it's just a forum where I used to post)

Happy 500th, all!!!

Love that!

TimeFrame, NewPic, or NewPage
Spoiler:
AluisioASG wrote:
CatHectic wrote:Woohoo! 500 pages..... who knew, back at the dawn of Time, how far this would take us? What a long strange trip it's been....

Wait for it until we reach NewPage 1190...

you mean TimeFrame (still a TimeWaiter at heart) aka newpix, right? NewPage refers to the OTT, not the OTC.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 02, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

Not Found

The requested post was not found in this forum.

phpBB at forums.xkcd.com port 80

Edit: my apologies for this lame and unoriginal 404 joke, which already doesn't work anymore since I've made my 405'th post. :oops:
Last edited by mscha on Thu May 02, 2013 5:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 02, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Not Found

...Am I the only one seeing this?
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu May 02, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

Wait for it until we reach NewPage 1190...

you mean TimeFrame (still a TimeWaiter at heart) aka newpix, right? NewPage refers to the OTT, not the OTC.

No. I mean NewPage. OTC#1190 is close; OTT#1190 will take some Time still.
I think it's (forum activity) Graph Time!
Selecting new quote…

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 02, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:

Yes.

(Sorry, lame 404 joke.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu May 02, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

And Back from Post Coma, 11 newpages to catch-up with! Alright let's get this party started:

Wall-o-Replies
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:CUEBALLSLIPPONG...

Ha! Predicted it!
Latent22 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
boozledorf wrote:Is that... The Boomerang?
(I asked my girlfriend with no real knowledge of the comic what she thought he was holding, and she said "a dildo, a gun, or a boomerang".

You know it could be all three... That would be a real multipurpose device!

A dilgunnerang!

We need to invent this, and sell it!
A boomerang gun, that fires dildos! We will make millions!!!
Edit: or a dildo gun, that fires boomerangs!

Who wants to fire a gun at someone that results in a spent dildo hitting you in the face?

I could introduce you to some people ;)
jjjdavidson wrote:
Actaeus wrote:SLIPPONG SLIPPONG SLIPPONG (into the fuuuutuuure)
I hope that wasn't the steam bottle he dropped, because it looks like the river's gonna take it.

I believe you mean the "Steam Bottle1"
1Ugh
ChronosDragon wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:From NewPage 370:
StratPlayer wrote:Hey, maybe we should set up a forum somewhere to have a place to discuss the Book of Time summary in the Wiki of the Comic which summaries the discussion within this forum where we summarize our thoughts about the comic. Whadd'ya think?

Ah, sweet Time -- everything old is new again...

If the comic won't satisfy the loopists, the thread certainly will!1
1Disclaimer: Yeah, I know this was said before too.2
2And this!2

Even more recursion! I'm not even sure I'm looking at the right version of the forum anymore....
jovialbard wrote:
Valarya wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:.-- .- .. - / ..-. --- .-. / .. - .-.-.-

--- .... / .-. .- -. -.. .- .-.. .-.. / .. ... / - .... .. ... / - .... . / -. . .-- / .-. --- - .---- ...--

.- -... / --. ..- ...- ..-. / ...- ..-. / --. ..- .-. / .- .-. .--- / . -... --. .---- ...--
-. .- --.- / .--- ...- --. ..- / --. ..- -. --. / ...- / --.. .... ..-. --. / .--. -... --.. -.

.-.. --- ...- . / .. - ---.
buffygirl wrote:
Caswallon wrote:Why do I really like the idea of the buffydashery, a place bristling with Quills, Feathers, Pins, Felt, Steam Bottles, Ribbons, Flowers, and Cats just meandering about in a haphazard(but carefully organized to the correctly trained eye) manner.

You inspired a new avatar for myself! :)

The awesomeness is almost too much for my mind to handle!!!!
HAL9000 wrote:
Ardaglash wrote:Oy. Besides Waiting for the OTC, now I'm refreshing this page waiting for the 20000th post...

No more need to wait, then.
ETA: well, no more need to wait for post 20000. Of course, we all still need to Wait for it.

Congratulations HAL9000, the Church of the Newpage recognizes you as Centapope the Fifth! (as the final poster, on the final page, of 100 newpages)
Bytes wrote:I can't imagine Megan not being able to swim though, she just seems so... capable.

Did anyone stop to think that the River may have Leeches? Or Eels, Piranhas, Alligators, Crocodiles..... Basically pick your freshwater predator of choice, and that the Sea2 is safe from those things.
2Which is big, and does what it wants.

Ok, freaky :)

And Back!
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 02, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:

See what?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu May 02, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:

Look at his post count...

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu May 02, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

hat stuff - rules, suggestions, heresies, etc:
Spoiler:
vvn wrote:
buffygirl wrote:You inspired a new avatar for myself! :)

I am very happy that despite the mob (I prefer heap, but I be old.) of hat requests, you have had time to make yourself a nw hat. It is quite fine, and shows off the milliner1s skill!

1I use milliner rather than haberdasher because Wikipedia seems to think haberdasher refers to only men's furnishings, and buffygirl clearly handles patrons of all sexes.
2I like the term haberdasher better though.

*giggle* I chose Haberdashery instead of Millner for the same reason. Also, I like BuffyDashery.

KarMann wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:in the hqm: chem1190c, doeanethum, velocitygirl (via jjjdavidson)
in the phqmm: Latent22, VoronX, caswallon, patzer (ish)

BuffyDashery acronyms:
hqm = Hat Queue Mob
phqmm = Possible Hat Queue Mob Mob

Again, not quite. "Pre Hat Queue Mob Mob"

Awww, and I didn't think anyone was really paying that much attention! Thank you!

Latent22 wrote:Just took a photo of my friend Catherine silky in a beret.

20130502_233713~01.jpg

too cute! but now he/she is a heretic. Burned at the stake, or the choco-lico method?

Selcouth wrote:Hey, cool, we were sorta right about the river. Something weird in it.
BlitzGirl wrote:As for hat-related traditions, Selcouth, it helps to have a traditional avatar first - onto which a hat is later added (generally by the Great Milliner buffygirl, who I believe is quite swamped at the moment, but who might be open again for business later, Randall willing).

Haha. Actually, my standard avatar is of a hat, so.... (Here it is)

I guess I could always get a hat on top of a hat? Kind of like double black hat guy.

*follows link, looks at image, spins in circles, falls down*

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 02, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
TheMinim wrote:

Yes.

(Sorry, lame 404 joke.)

:lol: :lol: Nice one! (wasn't sure)

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 02, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

Comparison between frame 1043 and 1046:
The camera moved a bit! Quick, let's discuss the meaning of this!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Thu May 02, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Comparison between frame 1043 and 1046:
Spoiler:

Randall obviously wants us to use 3d glasses to view this diff.
edit:spoiler'd

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu May 02, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
Spoiler:

Randall obviously wants us to use 3d glasses to view this diff.
edit:spoiler'd

Has anyone ever tried to do it?
Selecting new quote…

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Thu May 02, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:I have a question: If there's a footnote in someone's post which isn't referenced anywhere, should you read it?

No, though it exists it's unreachable in the DAG. Hmm, I think I used Git too much.

KarMann wrote:I removed the UTC claim, since it's not true anyway; I wish the time display options would clarify that. While I was at it, I added the Unix time (seconds since epoch), 'cuz that's how I roll.

I want post times expressed in newpixes from the beginning of Time. I'm gonna write a GreaseMonkey script to do so.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 02, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
Flotter wrote:I have a question: If there's a footnote in someone's post which isn't referenced anywhere, should you read it?

No, though it exists it's unreachable in the DAG. Hmm, I think I used Git too much.

KarMann wrote:I removed the UTC claim, since it's not true anyway; I wish the time display options would clarify that. While I was at it, I added the Unix time (seconds since epoch), 'cuz that's how I roll.

I want post times expressed in newpixes from the beginning of Time. I'm gonna write a GreaseMonkey script to do so.

Sweet, drop a link to it once you are done :D

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu May 02, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

Or, he threw the rope a few times between frames.

Is that how it happened? I don't know why I like to think about him being depressed right there. I won't go back a few hundred newpages by bringing up the emotions you get from the tilt of their faceless heads. :P

Edit: Ninja'd

mscha wrote:
Valarya wrote:I noticed no one pointed out anything about the internal time of Time, ...

May I invite you to read the past 20,000+ posts? There has been plenty of discussion about this topic. :P

I'm sorry, I'm sorry!! *cowers down from the bot* -- I have read the entire OTT even though I didn't start posting until Helper disappeared. Shit.

I also just said I shouldn't take us back a few hundred newpages by bringing it up again, but couldn't help myself since no one else did. This whole thing is just cyclical. Shit again1.

1Not a loopist.
Last edited by Valarya on Thu May 02, 2013 6:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 02, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Is that how it happened? I don't know why I like to think about him being depressed right there. I won't go back a few hundred newpages by bringing up the emotions you get from the tilt of their faceless heads. :P

Well he's certainly depressed now.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 02, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

How do you tell when anyone's depressed, let alone a faceless stickman?

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu May 02, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Maybe he's fetching his anti-sea-rhinoceros undergarments...
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu May 02, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:How do you tell when anyone's depressed, let alone a faceless stickman?

If they're well-designed, you get that little key-click sound, and a bit of tactile feedback.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu May 02, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

Does it actually look like camera position change, or antialiasing? We did see him redo that at one point earlier...
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 02, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
TheMinim wrote:How do you tell when anyone's depressed, let alone a faceless stickman?

If they're well-designed, you get that little key-click sound, and a bit of tactile feedback.

... Can you clarify? Am I stupid? Is there cake?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu May 02, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:

Kind of like moving around atoms?
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Montov

Postby Montov » Thu May 02, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

Or his inflatable raft.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”