1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Fri May 03, 2013 2:37 am UTC

I think Cueball wants to jump in. Megan is being too pragmatic. He'll jump in, check the depth, find his gunerangdo, and she'll just hang her head in shame.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri May 03, 2013 2:38 am UTC

mscha wrote:Just a quick about-to-finally-coma note that the time stamps of the oldpix have yet again changed.
Both the internal PNG timestamps and the external file system timestamp of all the pix (I've redownloaded so far) are now from May 1st.
My script is still running, but so far, it hasn't found any changes in pixels, apart from the known ones.

What this means? Randall knows...

Edit: as the script is running, any new (pixel) differences found will be automatically listed here. It'll be a couple of hours before all oldpix have been checked, though.

The time he has changed all frames to is the same as the timestamp when he fixed the mustard. He has just found he made a mistake by not hiding his timestamp on those frames and so unified all the timestamps again. Either that or some batch process he is running does this for him as a side effect.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri May 03, 2013 2:39 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
fhorn wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
fhorn wrote:I feel like the golden retriever in the back of the family car, just hanging my head out the window, tongue flapping, enjoying the ride.

Until the moment you realize they are taking you to the butchery.

I think you mean...

Spoiler:
THE VET!

Oblivious golden remains oblivious.
but also prefers vet to whatever "butchery" is, even whilst oblivious
edit: is this because I offered to pill the cat?

You did what?!?! Screw the vet you are going to the pound!

No, no, it was an innocent mistake! See, BuffyGirl was all "I'm really overwhelmed" and I was all "well let me help you with some of those tasks" and then I looked at the tasks and she said she had to pill the cat and - oh, nevermind - *big slurp golden retriever lick on kitty's face* *wags tail*
Please not the pound/vet/butchery. *fetches ball*
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 03, 2013 2:43 am UTC

fhorn wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
fhorn wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
fhorn wrote:I feel like the golden retriever in the back of the family car, just hanging my head out the window, tongue flapping, enjoying the ride.

I think you mean...

Spoiler:
THE VET!

No, no, it was an innocent mistake! See, BuffyGirl was all "I'm really overwhelmed" and I was all "well let me help you with some of those tasks" and then I looked at the tasks and she said she had to pill the cat and - oh, nevermind - *big slurp golden retriever lick on kitty's face* *wags tail*

Fine, but this happens one more time and it will be out back like ol Yeller
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 03, 2013 2:43 am UTC

fhorn wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
fhorn wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

I think you mean...

Spoiler:
THE VET!

Wow that was surreal. I didn't even throw a ball.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 03, 2013 2:43 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:The time he has changed all frames to is the same as the timestamp when he fixed the mustard. .

It's probably a sign that I've been in our mad Randallville too long that "fixed the mustard" is a phrase that I immediately understand as to what you're talking about.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri May 03, 2013 2:44 am UTC

fhorn wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
fhorn wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

I think you mean...

Spoiler:
THE VET!

Wait. You are a golden retriever. You are fat. You can speak.

Hey, there, a squirrel!
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Fri May 03, 2013 2:46 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
fhorn wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
fhorn wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

I think you mean...

Spoiler:
THE VET!

Hey, there, a squirrel!

images.jpeg
images.jpeg (2.42 KiB) Viewed 13785 times

wait for it.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri May 03, 2013 2:49 am UTC

Wnderer wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
fhorn wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
fhorn wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

I think you mean...

Spoiler:
THE VET!

Hey, there, a squirrel!

images.jpeg

wait for it.

Ahhh... that wasn't exactly what I had in mind.
Selecting new quote…

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 03, 2013 2:51 am UTC

Phew! 13 newpages! Learning to drive an outsider automobile is taking up far too much of my time :(
Time for some One True Ketchup (No particular order-whatever my firefox tabs decided to open in)

mathrec wrote:
ucim wrote:
Smithers wrote:...Also the use of I.E. where there should be Firefox.
I think that from now on, instead of saying "i.e.", I'm going to say "firefox". Of course, this will be hard, since I rarely actually say "i.e.". And I really should say "seamonkey" instead anyway.

Jose

Great, but you still have to be careful; firefox, the usage in this sentence would really peeve some of us.

Well, you could use the original Latin - id est

AluisioASG wrote:I see some folks here speak arrogantly when mentioning the Outer Threads. I must warn you that the forum thread for xkcd #2300, the first 11-dimentional comic, got 3.14k replies in the first two days.

That's peanuts to xkcd #3a4f, that one massed 7.a3 billion posts in the first 1c hours!

buffygirl wrote:Ok, so I added "before" photos to nearly1 all of the hats on the BuffyGirl Hat page of the wiki, but now they all say Added by Buffygirl (yes, I had previously created a wikia account). How do I insert an image so that it does NOT have that annoying caption? and/or can someone fix it for me?

1 I don't have ChronosDragon with his old hat. And actually elementropy added the hat to his own avatar, so he might should2 be in the "early gifted hats" section? His was actually the transition to hatvatars, I think.
2 "might should" tehe!

No hat, Old hat

Pikrass wrote:It only does so on the OTC, even though it's capable of displaying pre-Time dates, because "newpix 35985 B.T.¹" is still pretty hard to read. Hopefully as the OTU will spread we'll get more used to it.

At the moment it only works if you didn't change the default date format (in fact, it works with whatever format Javascript can parse natively).
It will display the correct newpix whatever your timezone is. It even works with creepy timezones like UTC+4:45. It also takes into account the transition when the Outside sped up.

You can easily browse the source (and submit patches, bugs or suggestions) here: https://gist.github.com/Pikrass/5505334

¹ Before Time

This is tremendous! Almost puts my newpix-O-meter to shame :D (I'm not offended, I hardly post often enough for it to be useful!)

edfel wrote:After more than 20k posts, one could think we could be closer to understanding what is really going on in this comic (best way to guess at what it is we are waiting for). As far as I've seen by lurking around here, there are lots of scattered theories which are not always diverging. Blitzgirl and other blitzers might be the ones remembering best what's been said.

So, I'd like to know y'all ideas about this and that, just to see if we are somewhere near a consensus

1) earth future
2) other - knowledge of basic navigation of their world, but little familiarity with concepts which are mundane to us, like the constitution of a river
3) only a few
4) probably
5) not likely
6) Wait for what?

jovialbard wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there will be no actual semen, cancer, babies, raptors, river tams, or loops in the actual comic. Unless of course Randell throws one in as a joke frame that quickly gets replaced. Though the wild speculation is fun.

Loopism was definitely teased, with M&C's brief rest along the way to the river.

I had a few others, but they were pretty much all invalidated by future comic events! That's what I get for being so far back. Accursed school network filter, blocking xkcd.com!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 03, 2013 2:52 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
fhorn wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
fhorn wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

I think you mean...

Spoiler:
THE VET!

Hey, there, a squirrel!

Then surely threats of vets or pounds are nothing to the threat of the Cone of Shame!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Fri May 03, 2013 2:52 am UTC

Pikrass wrote:Everybody stand back!
<snip>

Code: Select all

var hereticDate =

I laughed so hard, does that make me crazy?

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me in my current form, as I'm using a different forum theme and my time is set to m/d/Y H:i:s (U) and I don't really want to change it :oops: ... But nonetheless, awesome script :D

Is my kitty buffygirl-hat-worthy? I'd like to think so...

Still mini-Blitzing....Okay I'm done.
Follower of the One True Comic

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Fri May 03, 2013 3:00 am UTC

WheredideveryonegONG..............?

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 03, 2013 3:01 am UTC

is this a gong
Spoiler:

?

Edit No Mr. bill not this time
Added spoiler
{at least I know the "secret" . at least with my machine}
Last edited by pelrigg on Fri May 03, 2013 3:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Fri May 03, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Being awake for more than 70 newpix... I think I deserve a nice coma now... Been awake for too lONG...

Spoiler:

Damn ninjas :)

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 03, 2013 3:05 am UTC

For patzer1, VeloCityGirl, and VoronX
1 I don't know how to comicify my image to work with your Blitzified image. It would be way awesome if BlitzGirl would comicify it onto your comicified head....
Attachments
patzer-hat-s.png
patzer-hat-s.png (30.4 KiB) Viewed 13763 times
VeloCityGirl2-hat-s.png
VeloCityGirl2-hat-s.png (27.5 KiB) Viewed 13763 times
VoronX-hat-s.png
VoronX-hat-s.png (34.6 KiB) Viewed 13763 times

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:06 am UTC

Maybe he's grabbed her arm because he wants her to follow him someplace, perhaps back to the castles and then off in the other direction.
And now it's time for me to coma.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:09 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:For patzer1, VeloCityGirl, and VoronX
1 I don't know how to comicify my image to work with your Blitzified image. It would be way awesome if BlitzGirl would comicify it onto your comicified head....

Left you a present on the previous page

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 03, 2013 3:16 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Latent22 wrote:The time he has changed all frames to is the same as the timestamp when he fixed the mustard. .

It's probably a sign that I've been in our mad Randallville too long that "fixed the mustard" is a phrase that I immediately understand as to what you're talking about.

Probably an even clearer sign that, when I read over "fixed the mustard," and knew so well what it was, I didn't even realize I'd read a phrase that would be shocking and/or lost on an Outsider. Not until you mentioned it being weird!

edit: formatting, commas. stuff.
Last edited by Valarya on Fri May 03, 2013 3:19 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Fri May 03, 2013 3:17 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Maybe he's grabbed her arm because he wants her to follow him someplace, perhaps back to the castles and then off in the other direction.
And now it's time for me to coma.

Nighty night, don't let theERROR: FATAL EXCEPTION -- PUN NOT FOUNDcomputer bugs bite. That was weird. Did I cough or something?
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 03, 2013 3:21 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Now caught up from my microBlitz between leaving work and now.

And... I heard a song on the radio on the way home and was like, "oh yeah, this is SO THIS THREAD!!!"

So -- thanks to enormous demand (or simply 'cause I felt like it)-- here's yet another Time Song Parody, about what we're ALL doing right now:

Spoiler:
Our Mad Randallville
(based on "Margaritaville" by Jimmy Buffett)

If I'm a nut case,
I'm in the right place.
All my family starts to recoil
I show them this thing:
a forum Waiting.
They think my brain's beginning to boil.

Waitin' away again in our mad Randallville;
Searchin' for my last rational thought.
Some people claim that there's the ALT-TEXT* to blame;
But I know, it's nobody's fault.

I don't know the reason
I've stayed through the seasons
of newpic, longpix, and the fading, too.
But my hat's a beauty,
it was given to me,
after clearing buffy's long hat queue.

And I think, hell, it could be my fault.

I wonder when Time stops,
and this forum's closed shop,
will I still know the people back home?
After all Newpics rendered,
I just won't remember
my own relations 'cause my mind will be blown.

but I know, it's my own damn fault.
Yes, and some people claim that there's the ALT-TEXT* to blame;
but I know, it's my own damn fault.

*Wait For It

[Oh me yarm Oh ROFL UMMYAH DONTREMEMBERALLTHETHINGIES]
Ok, so, I admit it. I have not read all of the parodies. I think I've figured I'll have Time someday. But somtimes, for no reason, afer I click on the spoiler, I decide to skim it anyway. And as it turns out --- [/Oh me yarm Oh ROFL UMMYAH DONTREMEMBERALLTHETHINGIES]

ACTUAL ROFL! MWAH!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 03, 2013 3:22 am UTC

Okay, so we now have ketchup, mustard, and Time Fries...
BUT WHERE IS THE HAMBURGER?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 03, 2013 3:23 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

aa-- aah--- ahhh-- OH NO YOU DI'IN!

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 03, 2013 3:25 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Well, you could use the original Latin - id est
Is the Chevette of browsers even available in Latin? Would it translate all the newpix into that ancient tongue? Would I be greeted each morning with "Error occurrit. Vis dicam Microsoft circa hoc?"

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 03, 2013 3:26 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:For patzer1, VeloCityGirl, and VoronX

Left you a present on the previous page

Thankies!!! MWHA!!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri May 03, 2013 3:27 am UTC

I want to sing this:

Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality
Open your eyes
Look up to the sea and see

... (someone continue!)
Selecting new quote…

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Fri May 03, 2013 3:28 am UTC

If we assume that the players in this drama are either on Earth, or on an Earth-like planet, it is useful to examine the Earth's water features and how the rivers relate to the seas.

While the Earth's surface is roughly covered 75% with water, that water is relatively shallow compared to the total volume of the Earth. The oceans contain 96.5% of all of Earth's water, this total volume represents 322,500,000 cubic miles which could be contained in an 860 mile wide sphere. By contrast, the fresh water in all of Earth's lakes, swamps, rivers and groundwater. which constitutes the remaining 3.5% of the water, could be contained in a 2,551,000 cubic mile sphere 170 miles in diameter. Of this latter amount, the fresh water in all lakes and rivers alone is about 0.007% of all of Earth's water and cold be contained in a sphere of 22,339 cubic miles, 35 miles in diameter.

Further, consider that the water transfer system is in a relative static state with the fresh water being added to the oceans in an amount equal to and offset by the amount of water lost from the ocean by evaporation. The net result of all of this is that there simply is not enough water in the earth's rivers to raise the level of the sea by any measurable amount.

While Cueball and Megan were seeing the level of the sea rising, it could not possibly be because of a river, or two rivers, or 100 rivers discharging into that sea. The only possible (Earth based) explanation for the rising of the sea is through the action of lunar and solar tides. Their speculation regarding the flow of the river(s) and the height of the sea is meaningless.

There is some possibility that the land itself is dropping, relative to the sea, through some tectonic or volcanic process, or that the sea is indeed rising because of the sudden melting of several thousand cubic miles of glaciers and icebergs, but these events do not typically operate at the rate experienced by C & M, and they did not indicate any rise of temperature..

ref:
http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/earthhowmuch.html
http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs2-00/
Last edited by Davidy on Fri May 03, 2013 3:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 03, 2013 3:30 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:I want to sing this:

Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality
Open your eyes

... (someone continue!)

I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy
Because I'm easy come, easy go
A little high, little low
Anyway the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me, to me

... (someone continue!)

Edit: Otherwise, I will. And you don't want me to do that. You don't want to see me when I do that.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 03, 2013 3:36 am UTC

Too much reading, not enough time for posting. One last post before overdue coma.

Smithers wrote:
edfel wrote:3) How many people in this world?
a- like earth: lots of them, we just don't see them
b- just a few (M&C, LaPetite, and presumably some others....)
c- other

c- Just one

I quoted that Heinlein story a while back: "A Paradox May be Paradoctored." But you know, at the time I completely ignored the fact that the protagonist was an agent of the Temporal Bureau - a Time cop.

Latent22 wrote:Here is a gift for BuffyGirl to thank her for my wonderful hat![snip]

Your three GIFs all seemed to be slightly out of sync, and I can't help thinking, "When they've gone through every possible iteration, every possible permutation of hats on all three Buffygirls, the universe will end."

Overhead, one by one, the stars were going out. (or however Clarke wrote it.)

Edit: Ahhg! Must...resist..."Bohemian Filksody"... Coma! Coma!
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Fri May 03, 2013 3:41 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 03, 2013 3:38 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Okay, so we now have ketchup, mustard, and Time Fries...
BUT WHERE IS THE HAMBURGER?

Those are in Cheeseburger in Paradise.

Howdy, my name's htom and I'm a Parrothead. And a Moodie and an Initiate of Time. Wait for it.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri May 03, 2013 3:39 am UTC

Catch up time.
kryton wrote:
tman2nd wrote:Maybe we will see LaPetite entering in the last few frames of the fading.

hmm, by the magic of geekwagon i see that prediction can true, are you Randall in disguise or is Randall just pwning us?

I wasn't Randall the last time I checked. :P
lmjb1964 wrote:
tman2nd wrote:I, Sir Tristram, the Simple, Defender of The One True Comic, hereby swear by Lord Randall's holy name to defend all cats in the One True Comic or the One True Thread. All those who wish to harm any of the aforementioned cats will be met with swift retribution by the Katze Sword1. My knightly assistant shall be Sir3 Lena4 Sleepsalot5, Assistant Guardian of the Time Cats. From this moment forth my knightly name shall become, Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic.

You have been warned!

Spoiler:
1 I renamed my Great Sword of +1 awesomeness2.
2 See the items awarded to a Temporal Knight http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/The_Knights_Temporal
3 A she but Dame doesn't seem right.
4 The cat in my hat.
5 She only sleepsalot in my avatar.

Huzzah! Sir Tristam, I salute you, and offer my good right arm1 in your service.2 Already in this thread I have seen references to exploding cats, using cats to start fires, and other heinous3 cat-related crimes. My Dixie, who you can sort of see curled up under my chair (in case anyone was wondering what that was) also, I'm sure, offers her good right paw, as soon as she finishes her nap, which will be followed by some very important grooming, then looking out the window, and finally eating, at which point she will need another nap. But if you can catch her in between those things, I'm sure she'll help out.

1 I mean, it's pretty good. I'm not a body-builder or anything, but it works.
2 What the heck, I'll throw in the left arm too.
3 Heh, she said heinous.
4 This doesn't refer to anything. I just I can't stop using footnotes. It's a huge effort not to put them in emails at work.

It's good to see that I have an ally. :D
Speaking of which,
buffygirl wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Just took a photo of my friend Catherine silky in a beret.

20130502_233713~01.jpg

too cute! but now he/she is a heretic. Burned at the stake, or the choco-lico method?

Hey! Cats are immune to being heritics!
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri May 03, 2013 3:40 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I want to sing this:

Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality
Open your eyes

... (someone continue!)

I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy
Because I'm easy come, easy go
A little high, little low
Anyway the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me, to me

... (someone continue!)

Edit: Otherwise, I will. And you don't want me to do that. You don't want to see me when I do that.

Wait, did you change the POV to the sea?
Selecting new quote…

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:46 am UTC

Helper wrote:
Rule110 wrote:The world of Time could be a small scale test run of the universe created in xkcd 505, "A Bunch of Rocks."

Being a test run, it contains only a few objects and characters. There may or may not, for instance, be a sun. (We haven't seen night. At present it's still possible that either night has occurred between newpix, or that everything so far has occurred in a single day. However, the longer we Wait For It with no visible nightfall and no mention of experiencing or preparing for nighttime by the protagonists, the stranger that absence will seem.)

Even with a simplified universe, the rock-processor would take far longer than an hour for each iteration. Of course, with a handle like that, I'm sure you already knew that 8-).

The rock processor is already simulating our (aka "the") universe.

So the question isn't how many of these "hours" of yours it takes to generate one newpix in the rock desert, but how much time our own universe advances per newpix. There are many possible reasons why the sandcastle universe appears to run about 100 to 1000 times slower than ours, despite containing many fewer elements. An array size versus speed tradeoff might be involved, or it might have a shorter Planck time, which could also help explain the extraordinarily stable plancks that Megan and Cueball were able to make use of.

Of course, if it's running concurrently with our own, then it's not really a "test run" in the sense I implied (because then we would not have to Wait For It), but something more like a side experiment. If time in that universe only began running at the first newpix, that would explain the childlike aspect of Megan and Cueball's natures. They've been equipped with knowledge and even memories (e.g. how the Sea has behaved) but had never actually experienced time before. They're learning that things change, and that sometimes things go away.

Time spans in the rock desert are unimaginable, but fortunately not directly relevant. Many trillions of rows of processing, requiring trillions of trillions of myrianewpix of rock desert time, were probably required just to shift data to the left to make room for the sandcastle universe.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Fri May 03, 2013 4:00 am UTC

COMAONG...

...feebe? lol not spelled quite right....

I think they're gonna dance on the shore lol.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Fri May 03, 2013 4:08 am UTC

I think Cueball thinks Megan thinks the river is a bit *too* neat.

Maybe they're in a hitherto unexplored region of Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory and he's worried she'll pull an Augustus Gloop?

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri May 03, 2013 4:11 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:I think Cueball thinks Megan thinks the river is a bit *too* neat.

Maybe they're in a hitherto unexplored region of Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory and he's worried she'll pull an Augustus Gloop?

Wasn't she the one who was against swimming in the river?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 03, 2013 4:14 am UTC

shouldn't there be a newpic by now? There's a new OtherComic: http://xkcd.com/1207/, and I haven't been following along closely enough to know if that means that the newpix is twice as long in Outsider time

uaeio

Postby uaeio » Fri May 03, 2013 4:15 am UTC

Last edited by uaeio on Wed May 29, 2013 7:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Fri May 03, 2013 4:16 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:Wasn't she the one who was against swimming in the river?

She did say it was too dangerous before. But perhaps now the hypnotically swirling fractal patterns on its surface have changed her mind...

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 03, 2013 4:23 am UTC

She stepped close to the river and started to slide into it, now Cueball's pulling Megan back up to solid whatever? I'll find out after I coma.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”