1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Copernicium112

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Copernicium112 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:38 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Wnderer wrote:
riverwalk2.jpg

color

:D Awesome

Now do them all...

True Madness: Travel back to the beginning and BlitzGirl, coloring each TimeFrame as you encounter it. True devotion to the OTC.
Crescat tempus; vita excolatur

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Sat May 04, 2013 1:39 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Wnderer wrote:
riverwalk2.jpg

color

Now do them all...

Gulp ... :shock:

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat May 04, 2013 1:39 am UTC

How much work has Randall put into Time, compared to Click and Drag?1

Click and Drag has 226 images (counting the intro frame), while Time is approaching 1100 frames with no sign of stopping. Barring a breakthrough on the hash filename front ("Hey, everybody! The filenames are SHA2's of ROT13's of reversed mouseover text!") there's no telling how long Time may go on.2

But C&D images are 2048x2048 while Timeframes are only 553x395, about a 19:1 ratio. So the total area of C&D is about 944 megapixels, while Time is still less than 240 megapixels. Time would have to run to about 4300 frames to match the sheer area of C&D.

But much of each comic is either solid white or solid black. How complex are the images?

The simpler an image is, the more it can be compressed, so file size is a (very rough) indicator of complexity. In fact, in Time's beginning and currently on the river bank, you can pick out frames with dialog by the file size alone. The 225 main panels of C&D total about 5½MB. The first thousand-odd Timeframes (I haven't cleaned up well yet) total about 8MB.

A great deal of the complexity of Timeframes, however, is repetition from earlier frames; in particular, the "mustard" frames revealed that Randall was modifying a base drawing. The largest files without dialogue are all of the finished multi-level castle; most of that art is unchanged from one frame to the next.

Each C&D panel, by contrast, is a separate scene, often of dazzling complexity. Except for the filler frames at the (11,11) spots, each panel is unique. On the other hand, much of the art of Click and Drag, such as the radio tower or the many large and elegant trees, appears to have been generated rather than drawn, reducing the labor of creation (though not the artistry).

How does Time compare to Click and Drag?
Spoiler:
Darned if I know. I was hoping you could answer.

1. Man, I wish bbcode supported tables.
2. I know, I know - Time is forever.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat May 04, 2013 1:43 am UTC

Copernicium112 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Another camera shift! I wonder if we're facing the same or the opposite direction as the first frame.

It seems as though we should be facing approximately oppositely. The sea1 which was once to the right is now off to the left. Of course, the true orientation depends on the curvature of the shoreline, which we do not understand.

1: Big

So I think our 'camera' has now pointed from all 4 cardinal1 points. I hereby predict that at some not-too-distant point2, we will get an aerial shot3.

1 Not the same cardinality as buffygirl and the others of the ROTOTCs4
2 Hopefully within our lifetimes
3 But I could be wrong5
4 Religions Of The One True Comic
5 OK, I probably AM wrong6
6 I'd forgotten how fun footnotes can be. I think everyone loves them3
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sat May 04, 2013 1:49 am UTC

oh Great and Powerful Buffygirl, Haberdasher to the Stars, might this humble Pilgrim request a hat? I offer nothing but my good-natured golden-retrieverness (but not at the butchery or the vet's); I am not a Clever Coder nor a Brilliant Bard, I know not Hashes nor Rots (13 or otherwise), I mumble through most of the Litany whilst the rest of the Congregation proudly chants - yet I Wait for it, as any follower of the OTC does, and one of your glorious Creations upon my lowly timepiece from the Grand Central Terminal would be a thing of Beauty and a Joy forever.

Or not, y'know, whatever, no biggie1.
Don't want to impose if you're busy, or cooking bacon, or creating your upcoming Fall line
Have seriously lost track of the state of the queue, pre and post

1Unlike the sea.

edit: maybe should have waited for broad daylight to ask this...... kinda quiet in here right now. *cricket*
Last edited by fhorn on Sat May 04, 2013 1:54 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat May 04, 2013 1:53 am UTC

Whizbang wrote:For some reason I thought of this comic when I saw this picture...

Spoiler:

Because it has a cute cat and there are all these cute cat avatars around, right?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat May 04, 2013 2:03 am UTC

fhorn wrote:oh Great and Powerful Buffygirl, Haberdasher to the Stars, might this humble Pilgrim request a hat? I offer nothing but my good-natured golden-retrieverness (but not at the butchery or the vet's); I am not a Clever Coder nor a Brilliant Bard, I know not Hashes nor Rots (13 or otherwise), I mumble through most of the Litany whilst the rest of the Congregation proudly chants - yet I Wait for it, as any follower of the OTC does, and one of your glorious Creations upon my lowly timepiece from the Grand Central Terminal would be a thing of Beauty and a Joy forever.

Don't want to impose if you're busy, or cooking bacon, or creating your upcoming Fall line

1Unlike the sea.

edit: maybe should have waited for broad daylight to ask this...... kinda quiet in here right now. *cricket*

Know what might help? Emphasize your "good-natured golden-retrieverness" in a new avatar to make it extremely tempting to Her Holy Hatness. May I suggest something like:

...this:
Spoiler:

...or this:
Spoiler:

Notice how cute and temping an avatar like this would be??? How could buffygirl NOT want to turn it into something like this:
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat May 04, 2013 2:05 am UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat May 04, 2013 2:07 am UTC

Wnderer wrote:
riverwalk2.jpg

color

Pretty!

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Sat May 04, 2013 2:08 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:

Frankly, I think that's animal cruelty1; animals should be entitled to as much misery as we are.

1: Devililan or otherwise.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat May 04, 2013 2:11 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
fhorn wrote:oh Great and Powerful Buffygirl, Haberdasher to the Stars, might this humble Pilgrim request a hat? I offer nothing but my good-natured golden-retrieverness (but not at the butchery or the vet's); I am not a Clever Coder nor a Brilliant Bard, I know not Hashes nor Rots (13 or otherwise), I mumble through most of the Litany whilst the rest of the Congregation proudly chants - yet I Wait for it, as any follower of the OTC does, and one of your glorious Creations upon my lowly timepiece from the Grand Central Terminal would be a thing of Beauty and a Joy forever.

1Unlike the sea.

Know what might help? Emphasize your "good-natured golden-retrieverness" in a new avatar to make it extremely tempting to Her Holy Hatness. May I suggest something like:

...this:
Spoiler:

...or this:
Spoiler:

Notice how cute and temping an avatar like this would be??? How could buffygirl NOT want to turn it into something like this:
Spoiler:

fhorn - added.
Also, fhorn's avatar is fine as it is, thank you very much.

HarpyRotter

Postby HarpyRotter » Sat May 04, 2013 2:15 am UTC

I want to know this. Why has it been assumed that the pix filenames are hashes of anything? In my view, they are simply random strings.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat May 04, 2013 2:16 am UTC

Selcouth: You're in the HQM. Since you have no avatar, please give me one or two words upon which to build an idea for you. Thank you!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 2:18 am UTC

Wnderer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Wnderer wrote:
riverwalk2.jpg

color

Now do them all...

Gulp ... :shock:

It not like you'd be expected to get done right away.

We'll give you 4 or 5 newpics before your accused of slacking..... :wink:

Edit
finished my sentence oops :shock:
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat May 04, 2013 2:23 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 04, 2013 2:19 am UTC

HarpyRotter wrote:I want to know this. Why has it been assumed that the pix filenames are hashes of anything? In my view, they are simply random strings.

That is also a theory that has been put forward. But, not one that causes much conversation. If it's random, it's random. If it's a hash, we might be able to figure it out.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat May 04, 2013 2:21 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:<snip>
fhorn - added.

Of course, Your Most Esteemed Habidasheryist! I apologize for presuming to suggest what might be more pleasing in thine own Holy eyes!

I am certain fhorn will be as pleased with the hat you design for him/her/xim/xer/qim/qer/ya'll as I am with the one who so generously bestowed upon my own unworthy naked head!

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sat May 04, 2013 2:21 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:

1Unlike the sea.

...this:
Spoiler:

...or this:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Thank you, StratPlayer, these are great suggestions!!! Do you think if I use a really really lot of them it'll be even more inspiring???
something like:
Spoiler:
golden.jpg
golden.jpg (10.31 KiB) Viewed 11769 times
No, that would be too many hats.
Maybe one on an elephant???
Spoiler:
elegolden.jpg
elegolden.jpg (8.62 KiB) Viewed 11769 times

These two are relevant:
Spoiler:
two on the beach.jpg
two on the beach.jpg (9.07 KiB) Viewed 11769 times

I don't know - I'm kind of attached to my non-sentient, non-biological clock. I'm just going to throw myself on the mercy of the court.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat May 04, 2013 2:22 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:You asked for it, you got it... Here is the list of all occurancies of

Code: Select all

"http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png"
in the OTT up to post 19440. Beware, they are - of course - all spoilers! And they are based on my old database, so maybe there are some false positives in there. I did not want to scrape the poor old forum server again.

Thanks so much for doing that! I had quoted an incorrectly posted image, and didn't think about the fact that I needed to edit my quote of it as well. Sorry about that, everyone!

Exodies wrote:
woods wrote:
Spoiler:
Flotter wrote:
Selcouth wrote:Someone should make a map of the land in Time. The Castle is at one end, bounded by the inexorably rising sea. To the left is a plain, and some time later there is the river. Across the river is an Unknown Land. Somewhere in the foreground or background near the Castle is a Home Depot, because Megan had to get all those supplies from somewhere.

It has already been done. I wasn't able to find the original post or poster, but this is what it looks like (based on the path that Cueball and Megan have walked).
Map

The original post was not that exciting, nor is the poster. You managed to cover the general gist of the post anyway, I am sure he would not be offended by the lack of credit.

I hope they go more new places so we can see more of the land that surrounds them.

Peculiarly harsh.

Yeah, I thought so as well. I figured they must not mean what it sounded like they meant.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat May 04, 2013 2:22 am UTC

HarpyRotter wrote:I want to know this. Why has it been assumed that the pix filenames are hashes of anything? In my view, they are simply random strings.

Randall is keeping track of which frame is which somehow, that's easier to do by having logical filenames hashed into randomness than by just having randomness and keeping track separately.
Welcome to the OTT. If you haven't been reading all along, you may want to check the wiki: http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

akacat

Postby akacat » Sat May 04, 2013 2:24 am UTC

mscha wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:IIRC, the End of Time was predicted 5 times so far...

- "Later" - "Bye" frame
- Age of slow pixel
- "We can't build it much taller" frame
- "bye." and fading
- Brief camera angle change

So, are we going to speculate about the ending for the 6th time? :D

Obviously. What else are we here for? ;)

Nobody really seems to believe that Time is about to End, this time. And that's what worries me: every time we do think it's going to end, it doesn't...

So, we just need to make sure at least one person is always worried that it's about to End, and that'll keep it from Ending. Right? Right?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat May 04, 2013 2:25 am UTC

vvn wrote:

That is also a theory that has been put forward. But, not one that causes much conversation. If it's random, it's random. If it's a hash, we might be able to figure it out.

Wait. What??? I thought the filename was just "time.png" :shock:

Has anyone checked to see if any Javascript manipulation is involved in this so-called "hashing"?

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sat May 04, 2013 2:28 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:fhorn - added.

Thank you very much, Buffygirl! I eagerly await your creation! *big slurpy lick* *wags tail* *barks at the mailman*
Also, thank you for not changing me into a golden retriever. Much as I like them.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat May 04, 2013 2:29 am UTC

SBN wrote:

Randall is keeping track of which frame is which somehow, that's easier to do by having logical filenames hashed into randomness than by just having randomness and keeping track separately.
Welcome to the OTT. If you haven't been reading all along, you may want to check the wiki: http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki

The filenames are 64 characters long, and use 0-9 and a-f, which is suggestive of computer wizardry rather than pure randomness.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat May 04, 2013 2:32 am UTC

For a very simple reason: The filenames don't use all available alphanumeric characters, like most random string generators would provide. Instead, they use only hexadecimal digits, zero to 9 and A to F (always lowercase, in this case). So they appear to be a hexadecimal value, which is typical of data that's been encrypted or hashed (not quite the same).

Viewed as hex values, they're 64 digits long (256 bits), which is one of the standard lengths for a hash output.

ETA: Yeah, what moody7277 said.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sat May 04, 2013 2:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat May 04, 2013 2:32 am UTC

akacat wrote:
mscha wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:IIRC, the End of Time was predicted 5 times so far...

- "Later" - "Bye" frame
- Age of slow pixel
- "We can't build it much taller" frame
- "bye." and fading
- Brief camera angle change

So, are we going to speculate about the ending for the 6th time? :D

Obviously. What else are we here for? ;)

Nobody really seems to believe that Time is about to End, this time. And that's what worries me: every time we do think it's going to end, it doesn't...

So, we just need to make sure at least one person is always worried that it's about to End, and that'll keep it from Ending. Right? Right?

Right! Because when you least expect it, that's when it'll happen. So we should always inspect our expectations to accept that the unexpected should not be an exception to our expected unexpectedness, except when it's accepted for inspection of our expectations, don't you think?

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sat May 04, 2013 2:34 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Exodies wrote:
woods wrote:The original post was not that exciting, nor is the poster. You managed to cover the general gist of the post anyway, I am sure he would not be offended by the lack of credit.

I hope they go more new places so we can see more of the land that surrounds them.

Peculiarly harsh.

Yeah, I thought so as well. I figured they must not mean what it sounded like they meant.

This should help:
woods wrote:It was me. I was just making a self-deprecation joke.

In all seriousness though, I love using what little abilities I have in GIMP to provide an interesting look on the OTC. I may have to look through the frames this weekend and see what data I can gleam from them.

Perhaps more self-deprecating than is justified, but not really harsh.

Some Ways to Time

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat May 04, 2013 2:36 am UTC

Prediction: Lots o' Walkin'. (no relation to Christopher Walken).

BytEfLUSh wrote:Perhaps it will slowly fade during the next 3 Outsider days (ugh...) while LaPetite makes another brief appearance. :)

I concur on the fading. They walk into the distance while it fades. New scene would either be a new leg of their journey (near the ford/fjord?) or to see what LaPetite is up to. Though, I'm not too high in belief that they will go to her until her role is revealed to be more crucial.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 04, 2013 2:39 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:The filenames are 64 characters long, and use 0-9 and a-f, which is suggestive of computer wizardry rather than pure randomness.

I considered that as another reason it's probably a hash. That's 1024 bits. When I have had to do similar things, I have been happy with 64 bits. But, then I considered it's not really evidence of anything. (I also encoded to base 36 or 62. I preferred short file names.)

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat May 04, 2013 2:39 am UTC

fhorn wrote:<snip>

Thank you, StratPlayer, these are great suggestions!!! Do you think if I use a really really lot of them it'll be even more inspiring???
something like:
Spoiler:
golden.jpg
Spoiler:
elegolden.jpg

These two are relevant:
Spoiler:
two on the beach.jpg

I don't know - I'm kind of attached to my non-sentient, non-biological clock. I'm just going to throw myself on the mercy of the court.

I'm glad buffygirl added you to her nqalaiwphq*

But I gotta tell you -- I'm liking all the dog pics. :) The one on the elephant is awesome...

*Not-Quite-As-Long-As-It-Was-Pre-Hat-Queue

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 2:39 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Right! Because when you least expect it, that's when it'll happen. So we should always inspect our expectations to accept that the unexpected should not be an exception to our expected unexpectedness, except when it's accepted for inspection of our expectations, don't you think?

Should it bother me that "that" made sense?
Is it bad that what he said made perfect sense to me?

Edit
redo the quote to Get It Right
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat May 04, 2013 2:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

htom

Postby htom » Sat May 04, 2013 2:45 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:
SBN wrote:

The filenames are 64 characters long, and use 0-9 and a-f, which is suggestive of computer wizardry rather than pure randomness.

Indicative of a 256 bit string, actually. Given a path/filenamenumber, hashing is an easy (and properly done, almost irreversible) way of generating a pseudo-random string (in this case 256 bits) that can be used to as uniquely identify the file as the path/filenamenumber. We're inclined to think that The Great Lord Randall is perhaps even lazier than we are, and reuses good things that work well, spending his labors on other things.

ninja'd several times, but 64 characters * 4 bits is 256 bits, not 1024
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

htom

Postby htom » Sat May 04, 2013 2:51 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
fhorn wrote:<snip>

something like:
Spoiler:
golden.jpg
Spoiler:
elegolden.jpg

These two are relevant:
Spoiler:
two on the beach.jpg

I'm glad buffygirl added you to her nqalaiwphq*

But I gotta tell you -- I'm liking all the dog pics. :) The one on the elephant is awesome...

*Not-Quite-As-Long-As-It-Was-Pre-Hat-Queue

I'm liking all of the goldens, too. Maybe an animated gif ...
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat May 04, 2013 2:52 am UTC

vvn wrote:
moody7277 wrote:The filenames are 64 characters long, and use 0-9 and a-f, which is suggestive of computer wizardry rather than pure randomness.

I considered that as another reason it's probably a hash. That's 1024 256 bits. When I have had to do similar things, I have been happy with 64 bits. But, then I considered it's not really evidence of anything. (I also encoded to base 36 or 62. I preferred short file names.)

FTFY
16 possible values per character, but that means 4 bits per character.

Added: ninjaed in turn, but more specific about the likely source of confusion
Last edited by KarMann on Sat May 04, 2013 2:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

HarpyRotter

Postby HarpyRotter » Sat May 04, 2013 2:53 am UTC

SBN wrote:

I wouldn't say it is easier, but perhaps more fault tolerant.

Consider a file (database file for example) with frame numbers mapped to their respective randomized filenames. If this file would be lost, then Randall would lose the ability to retrieve the right frames, and would have to perhaps resort to third party records of the frames (such as the Time Wiki).

Consider instead some algorithm which takes frame numbers and a secret passphrase/key, and uses some hashing algorithm to produce the final hashed filenames. Randall could easily memorize this algorithm and the secret, which makes this more resilient than the simple database file.

Regardless, you make a valid point in favor of hashing vs. randomness, which I prefer over simply assuming "they're hashes".

jjjdavidson wrote:For a very simple reason: The filenames don't use all available alphanumeric characters, like most random string generators would provide. Instead, they use only hexadecimal digits, zero to 9 and A to F (always lowercase, in this case). So they appear to be a hexadecimal value, which is typical of data that's been encrypted or hashed (not quite the same).

Viewed as hex values, they're 64 digits long (256 bits), which is one of the standard lengths for a hash output.

ETA: Yeah, what moody7277 said.

I'm not as convinced by this argument. Randall could have simply produced a random string, and then encoded it into hexadecimal.
Last edited by HarpyRotter on Sat May 04, 2013 2:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat May 04, 2013 2:53 am UTC

azule wrote:*snip*
Is that how you get a hat around here? WAAAH! ;)

Kidding!

nope. no hat for you!
Kidding! maybe. aw, shoot, you're in the hqm.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sat May 04, 2013 2:55 am UTC

Coma. *circles three times, lies down, tucks nose under tail*

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 3:02 am UTC

slow on the ..ong

EDIT
Oh me yarm did I really get one????
My first????
For the 75th post??

Strolling by the river (small) looking for the perfect ford.
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat May 04, 2013 3:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 04, 2013 3:05 am UTC

For those interested in Terraria-based Time Waiting, I put up a vanilla server at

Code: Select all

port 7777. If there's interest, I'll ask for opinions about mods or maybe some T-Edited worlds to sandbox in, but for now I'd just like to see who will join up :)

HarpyRotter

Postby HarpyRotter » Sat May 04, 2013 3:06 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
vvn wrote:

Wait. What??? I thought the filename was just "time.png" :shock:

Has anyone checked to see if any Javascript manipulation is involved in this so-called "hashing"?

The javascript does not perform any hashing. The filenames we see are the filenames Randall has at the server where he hosts the frames.

The reason the filenames are not just time.png, but are rather individually named, is so that we can "look back into the past" and retrieve past frames from the server. The names are not simple names, such as time_1.png, time_2.png, etc, because Randall most likely works on a bunch of frames, and then leaves them at the server and goes on with his life. If the filenames were easy to guess, we could instead "peek at the future", which kind of defeats the purpose of the comic.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 04, 2013 3:06 am UTC

htom wrote:ninja'd several times, but 64 characters * 4 bits is 256 bits, not 1024

Correct. My slip. :oops:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”